PDA

View Full Version : Frigid Hips!

Smile
12-15-2007, 12:57
Ladies,
I've done a lot of backpacking, and a lot of sleeping on the ground over the years.

With all of this new lightweight backpacking gear, I just can't seem to find a solution to having one cold hip. I'm a side sleeper for the most part, and I'm currently using the nice pink full length Thermarest Women's 4, for winter.

I sometimes put a shirt or extra piece of soft gear under that hip, but it has to be moved if I roll, and is really a hassle, not to mention the lumpy factor. I'd like to find a system where this is elimated altogether.

Last night I slept out with a 0 bag, and still had a cold hip. Anybody else have this situation? :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-15-2007, 13:45
Ladies, Last night I slept out with a 0 bag, and still had a cold hip. Anybody else have this situation? :)Yes, wearing bike shorts to bed helps me. I also have a pair of knee-length fleece shorts that I wear sometimes that help even more.

Marta
12-15-2007, 13:47
In cold weather I carry two sleeping pads--one Therm-A-Rest and one closed cell foam. Above 20 the T-A-R goes on top; below 20 it goes underneath. Every time you move, you still have to heat up the pad in that area, but the CCF traps heat pretty quickly. The section of CCF is quite short--from shoulders to hips--and doubles as my sit-upon.

Lellers
12-15-2007, 17:16
Had this problem on the last trip I was on, weekend before T-giving. I have a short sleeping pad and I shoved it inside my bag (a 0 degree Sierra Designs stretch bag). I had no problems at all with the sleeping pad inside my bag. Woke up to snow on Sunday morning, but was plenty snug in the bag.

sourwood
12-15-2007, 19:01
I have found that if I position my fleece vest so that it covers my hips and stomach and then zip it up that my hips and butt stay much warmer. Of course my nightly hot flashes help out too!

Julie

Cuffs
12-15-2007, 20:44
Probably not what you want to hear... I too am a side sleeper but just could never get comfy on the ground... flopped every hour all night long... then I was introduced to the hammock... I havent been cold once and I havent ever slept better!

ScottP
12-15-2007, 20:57
I've had the same problem with a cold/sore hip. I found that sleeping on my stomach was much more comfortable than sleeping on my side. Shifting some weight to your ribs/torso might also work--pay attention to small variations in the terrain of where you are sleeping. Try to find some soft ground with fluffly leaves rather than sleep in a shelter or on hardpacked ground. Try to camp near/under trees, and not on frozen ground. Shake the loft to the top of your sleeping bag.

You could try those 3.5" thick big agnes pads--they aren't much heavier than thermarests and are way more comfortable, you just have to blow them up. I'm pretty ultralight, but I still splurged and carried one of these on my AT thru.

You could also carry a small square of a ridgerest and put that underneath your thermarest.

Smile
12-15-2007, 21:36
I'm thinking about doubling up with a Zpad for colder weather, any thoughts on this?

I too, use whatever extra I have to pad the hip area, all these above are great ideas to try, thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this situation. As for being more careful about tent sites, I'll give that a try too, I usually just look for flat, not really paying much attention to the ground cover itself.

I like the pad inside the bag thing too, Lellers - was that a down or synth bag?

Lellers
12-15-2007, 22:57
I like the pad inside the bag thing too, Lellers - was that a down or synth bag?

It's a synthetic, probably 6 yrs old now. So that's also part of my problem with sleeping cold, too. I'm in the market for a better bag, or maybe I'll give a quilt a try.

I'm not necessarily a side sleeper. I just generally thrash around in my sleep -- constantly moving. Keeping the pad in the bag also eliminates the moving pad thing. I've actually woken up in the middle of the night and found the pad on top of me. With the pad in the bag, I can spin around and the pad is always under me.

Gaiter
12-15-2007, 23:40
your sleeping bag works better when you don't have clothes on, the sleeping bag works because it warms up the air btn you and the bag, when you wear clothes it creates a barrier btn you and the warm air. so take your clothes off

i found that my feet would still be cold, so to warm them i started buttoning my vest (size xxl) and sliding over the bottom of my sleeping bag, looked weird but really worked, if you just lay your down vest or jacket over, it will tend to roll off, thats when i started buttoning it, don't know if that will work for you skinny people

Smile
12-16-2007, 00:34
LOL, nice post Gaiter. Smiling here at my computer :)

As for bags:

Leller: I just generally thrash around in my sleep -- constantly moving.

you might want to look into the Montbell stretch bags, heres a link to the best price I've found online for their bags, less than buying at Montbell for sure.

http://www.prolitegear.com/montbell_ul_super_stretch_down_hugger_1.html

River Runner
12-16-2007, 00:43
Try getting an 1/8 inch thin light pad from Gossamer Gear and using it on top of your Therma-Rest. The closed cell is warmer than the open cell foam, and the 1/8 inch is enough to warm things up without weighing much or being too bulky.

Smile
12-16-2007, 01:37
Will do, heading out now for a snowy night in the bag, I've added a z pad for tonight, tomorrow I'll try the GG pad, I do have one of those, but it has torn on me a few times on the edges, maybe that is the solution though :)

Smile
12-16-2007, 14:40
Ok, last night it was frigid, bag was warm, I was warm, and much less of a cold hip than the night before.

Justifying taking the weight on two sleeping pads? Tough one.

Next experiment tonight with the GG pad. Thanks for all of your suggestions, it's been a big help, and hopefully can help others somehow. :)

Christopher Robin
12-16-2007, 19:16
Good idea I can wait to go backpacking again to try the vest. After 10yrs w/my 3/4thremo-rest I thought it was time for a new one. Campmor as I sale on a 3 season women's edition (Maximum Series) for woman petite lenght 20x66x1.0 20oz. Being made for us it more padding at the feet & wider at the hips, and narrow at the head. One thing Irealy like is the sides has rolled edges because I roll around & often wake up cold & off the pad. The price broke my down & bought one $29.99 yes, I have been looking a long time & the cheepest one I have find was $49.99.