PDA

View Full Version : my first hammock

double j
12-16-2007, 01:07
well i just ordered a hennasy hammock i hope i enjot it ............

Tinker
12-16-2007, 01:26
Good move!
I enjoy mine in warmer weather. In cool/cold weather I use something else. see my Webshots website.
I've never slept better.

FanaticFringer
12-16-2007, 01:57
I enjoy mine 4 seasons. If you havn't already, check out www.hammockforums.net for graet hammock talk. Also go to www.tothewoods.net for some really good hammock camping info.
The hammock camping archives here are also good.

sasquatch2014
12-16-2007, 11:12
You will enjoy it. I have a diffrent make and mine is really designed for 3/4 seasons. I just used it a few weeks back down in MD where the night time low was 9 degrees. I felt comfortable doing this having gained a ton of info at the sites that the others have given you. check out the sites and then play with it and figure out what works for you.

double j
12-16-2007, 11:51
i cant wait until it gets here

Don H
12-16-2007, 12:12
I bought a HH Hyperlight this summer and used it two weeks so far. I like it but I'm a side sleeper and not use to sleeping on my back. They say you can sleep on your side in it but I haven't been able to do it and get comfortable. Any suggestions out there? Also on my October AT trip in northern PA I used the HH Supershelter insulation system with the open cell foam pad and was plenty warm with a sleeping bag with night temps in the hign 40s. I think a little more coverage than the stock tarp would be good, I haven't used it in the rain but coverage seems minimal. It took a while to work out the best way to set up and use it. I stayed with the stock tree huggers and rope where some have converted to staps and buckles.

FanaticFringer
12-16-2007, 15:03
I bought a HH Hyperlight this summer and used it two weeks so far. I like it but I'm a side sleeper and not use to sleeping on my back. They say you can sleep on your side in it but I haven't been able to do it and get comfortable. Any suggestions out there? Also on my October AT trip in northern PA I used the HH Supershelter insulation system with the open cell foam pad and was plenty warm with a sleeping bag with night temps in the hign 40s. I think a little more coverage than the stock tarp would be good, I haven't used it in the rain but coverage seems minimal. It took a while to work out the best way to set up and use it. I stayed with the stock tree huggers and rope where some have converted to staps and buckles.

I used to own a Hennessy Hyperlight and sold it in order to buy a JRB Bridge hammock www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/BMBH.htm
I'm like you in that I'm a side sleeper and could never get comfortable sleeping on my back or side in this hammock or my others (Treklight double, Hennessy ULB, Speer, homemade hammock).
The bridge hammock is super comfortable for me. Really nice sleeping on my side and I can even sleep on my back well. Flat as a board this hammock is.
Now I'm 5'7 and 160lbs. and fit well in it, but there is talk over at hammock forums (which I see your a member of) of people closer to the weight limit (225lbs) not having enough room in it. I tend to agree. Probably on the small side for someone over say 180-190lbs. You could always try your hand at making one yourself with the info, articles on hammock forums.

DawnTreader
12-16-2007, 15:20
welcome to the hanging crowd.. life is better off the ground :)

sasquatch2014
12-16-2007, 17:08
I start on my back most nights but at some point end up on my side and am comfy in my Clark NA. I am not small. Wish I was but I deal with it I am lmost 6 ft and last I checked north of 220 lbs.

double j
12-16-2007, 18:05
yep thats what i figured id prob. sleep on my side

Don H
12-16-2007, 19:35
Finatic,
Just checked out the JRB Bridge, very interesting. I'm 5'-10" and 200 lbs will I fit in it? What do they use for spreaders? What are you using for a tarp?

FanaticFringer
12-16-2007, 20:01
Finatic,
Just checked out the JRB Bridge, very interesting. I'm 5'-10" and 200 lbs will I fit in it? What do they use for spreaders? What are you using for a tarp?

You could be comfortable in it. Comfort is such a subjective issue. As you saw, it is rated for 225lbs. Although someone 5'5 and 225lbs. sure isn't gonna be comfy. They would have way too much squeeze.
From their website:The design of the hammock incorporates spreader bars on each end. These are a two piece design constructed of thin wall, one inch outer diameter, aluminum tubing with notched, rubber coated ends to fit into the secondary rings at the hammock corners.
They weigh about 6oz. total.
I'm gonna use either one of these tarps.
www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/11%20x%2010%20Tarp.htm
This one I had made for me. The pic is my actual tarp.http://www.jhatkhat.com/Khat/camping/bcdir/
There are other big tarp options you could go with.
Here is a thread talking about the JRB hammock. www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1947&highlight=bridge+hammock
Here is a thread that talks about making your own. Caution, it could take a day or 2 to read.www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1297&highlight=bridge+hammock
Here are a couple of threads/articles explaining how to make your own.
www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1676
www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36
Check out the "my bridge hammock system" articles.

double j
12-17-2007, 21:41
well i got a call from james at HH he wants to know if i wanted to swap my free t shirt for a pair of snke skins what do u guys think

Don H
12-17-2007, 22:49
Fanatic,
Thanks for the info. I'll be checking into one. I'd like to try one out sometime.

FanaticFringer
12-17-2007, 23:15
well i got a call from james at HH he wants to know if i wanted to swap my free t shirt for a pair of snke skins what do u guys think

Snakeskins work great on the hammock. Are they out of shirts or something?

double j
12-17-2007, 23:22
said they was out of med. shirts which i never said i wore med...atleast i dont rem...there also giving me 3 day ups i dunno why tho

double j
12-21-2007, 00:07
woooo hoooo merry christmas to me ....thanks to my wife ....henassy hammocks r some fast shipping people

sasquatch2014
12-21-2007, 00:14
Yeah no go and find your fav trees in the back yard and play around with it. You will be out there in no time.

Cannibal
12-21-2007, 11:19
Welcome to the hanging crowd. The Hennessy is a great way to start, from there you can figure-out how to really get comfortable on the trail.

neo
01-03-2008, 14:03
well i just ordered a hennasy hammock i hope i enjot it ............

:rolleyes: you will wish you ordered this hammock instead:cool: neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html