PDA

View Full Version : Map updates since ones available in 2002

Kirby
12-16-2007, 14:32
A local hiker is letting me borrow her AT maps for my thru next year. I believe she said she purchased them in 2002, meaning they are Circa what ever year was available then. I have the most recent edition of the Maine AT maps. I am wondering if there is any map set that has had significant changes that it would be worth buying the most up to date set available.

Thanks,
Kirby

Appalachian Tater
12-16-2007, 14:37
The trail itself is generally well-marked for hiking purposes and you can thru-hike without having a map without getting lost. The kinds of things you would look for on a map in emergency situations like roads, towns, railroad tracks, haven't changed a lot.

Also remember that even the best maps are not 100% accurate.

weary
12-16-2007, 15:04
The trail itself is generally well-marked for hiking purposes and you can thru-hike without having a map without getting lost. The kinds of things you would look for on a map in emergency situations like roads, towns, railroad tracks, haven't changed a lot.

Also remember that even the best maps are not 100% accurate.
AT is right. The location of the trail is pretty well stabilized and becomes more so each year. There is nothing that has happened since 2002 that would prompt me to buy a new set. If I was on a very tight budget I might even go again with my 1993 maps. The basic landscape hasn't changed at all. JUst a few trail and road locations.

If you work with your maps regularly, it will quickly become clear when you come to a section where the trail has been moved. Just be extra cautious when traversing those sections.

Fresh maps are even more unneccessary for you, since you will be traveling with a group. Since the trail is pretty well marked it will be very difficult for an entire group of hikers to go wrong.

Weary

Kirby
12-16-2007, 15:14
I just wanted to make sure there were no major changes to any section that would warrant me to purchase a new set.

Kirby

SGT Rock
12-16-2007, 15:16
There have been major relocations between 19E and Dennis cove, but they are not major enough that a set of 2002 maps would mess you up. The trail is well marked and if you did have to get off trail you could probably figure it out if you know how to use a map and compass.

Kirby
12-16-2007, 15:22
There have been major relocations between 19E and Dennis cove, but they are not major enough that a set of 2002 maps would mess you up. The trail is well marked and if you did have to get off trail you could probably figure it out if you know how to use a map and compass.

What map set is that on so that I can make a note in my companion about it.

Kirby

SGT Rock
12-16-2007, 15:24
Hmmm, well it is on the set that is northern Tennessee. Find the map with Roan Mountain on it and then trace north to US19 E. Between 19E and Dennis cove they have been re-locating parts of the AT every year.

mountain squid
12-16-2007, 15:31
Here is the relocation (http://www.tehcc.org/images/ElkRiver-relocation-map-01.jpg). But there have been other relocations, as well. Don't know which ones have made it to the newer maps, but I would buy the newer ones (there are only two TN maps, excluding Great Smoky Mountains NP)...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Pedaling Fool
12-16-2007, 19:17
Map man just listed them on page 2 of this thread.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30473&page=2

River Runner
12-16-2007, 21:13
Many of the map sets available haven't been updated since that time anyway. You can check what years the various sets have been updated on the ATC website.

Kirby
12-16-2007, 21:41
When I receive the maps, I will post what Circa years they are, and you all can determine what ones have changed to the point of warranting new ones.

Kirby

Kirby
12-17-2007, 20:30
All maps are Circa between 1998 and 2001 for reference.

Kirby

Pedaling Fool
12-17-2007, 20:46
All maps are Circa between 1998 and 2001 for reference.

Kirby
Not sure what you're saying here, if you're saying no map has been udated between said dates, that's not true. For instance the copyright of the AT section of NAT. GEO map is 1991, however, that is not to be confused with the revised printing of 2004 and now the recently revised of 2007.

Kirby
12-17-2007, 20:52
Not sure what you're saying here, if you're saying no map has been udated between said dates, that's not true. For instance the copyright of the AT section of NAT. GEO map is 1991, however, that is not to be confused with the revised printing of 2004 and now the recently revised of 2007.

What I mean is that all the maps I have were published between 1998 and 2001, except for Maine, in which case I have the most recent publication.

Sorry for the confusion,
Kirby

Minerva
12-17-2007, 21:04
Kirby,
In addition to the suggestions already made take a look at the ATC website for Trail Relocations http://tinyurl.com/2dmlyz and Trail Updates http://tinyurl.com/2bhhxu. There will be information on these two pages that will help you update the 2002 mapset.

MrsG

Pedaling Fool
12-17-2007, 21:10
What I mean is that all the maps I have were published between 1998 and 2001, except for Maine, in which case I have the most recent publication.

Sorry for the confusion,
Kirby
I ordered and received my map bundle in late 2005 and all dates match Map Man's dates on this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30473&page=2). Nothing is older than 2000. The only update I know of between last year and this year is the Nat. Geo. map covering the AT section.

Pedaling Fool
12-17-2007, 21:13
I ordered and received my map bundle in late 2005 and all dates match Map Man's dates on this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30473&page=2). Nothing is older than 2000. The only update I know of between last year and this year is the Nat. Geo. map covering the AT section.
Correction, there is one dated 1998, you got me kirby.

saimyoji
12-17-2007, 23:51
Correction, there is one dated 1998, you got me kirby.

Yep, PA sections 1-6? I hear they are being re-done in the near future..not sure where I heard this though....an outfitter somewhere....

Thanks to MechanicalMan you can update the PA map just north of Little Gap...there is a new spring just north of Delps spring, about 2 miles...very reliable...it was flowing well when all others around were dry. Its kinda far down the mtn though. Skip Delps spring and head for Stempa's....

:)

Kirby
12-18-2007, 07:23
All the maps I have were ordered in late 2001-early 2002, she purchased them for her thru.

Kirby

Pedaling Fool
12-18-2007, 12:56
All the maps I have were ordered in late 2001-early 2002, she purchased them for her thru.

Kirby
Ok, now I understand the latest being 2001.

Tennessee Viking
12-18-2007, 15:28
Major relocations in Tennessee. Do have Pond Flats to Watuga Lake on the maps?

A few small hillside relocations on the White Rocks south of Dennis Cove.
Major relocation from Walnut Mountain Road to Buck Mountain Road along the Elk River with a new shelter.

Some small relocations on the smaller Iron Mtn starting at Weedy Gap.

Another set of hillsides around Cherry Gap Shelter.

A major rock work relocation on Unaka Mtn summit is set to open next year.

Check the ATC website for all the current relocation work. If there seems a lot compared to the maps you are getting. Invest in new maps.