PDA

View Full Version : World Record

Pages : [1] 2

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 15:11
Hello All.....
I would like to let yall know that after talking to my dad last night he had mentioned to me that my mom found my old world record plans for the AT... I had planed on doing this after walking the trail with my mother... He told me that she had said it would be a wonderful idea.... He and my step mom sat and talked about it then gave me a call.... So this year I will dedicate the hike to my mother and walk the AT in 30 days....
I know it is not what I intended to do this year and it takes away from the spirituality of the hike....For this I hope no one gets mad at me..... I am fulfilling both a promise and a goal.....I know I will probably catch some slack for this and I am sorry......
I have done all the math and am working on my drops if I don't buy along the trail....
Ideas anyone????

Lone Wolf
12-16-2007, 15:13
70 miles per day huh? this a joke or what?

neighbor dave
12-16-2007, 15:14
:-? impossible, cain't be done.:-?

Bearpaw
12-16-2007, 15:15
Best of luck on those 75-mile days.... ;)

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 15:17
This is not a joke.... The guy who did it did it in 47 days.... That is 57 miles per day.... So 70 miles per day just means walking an extra couple of hours....

neighbor dave
12-16-2007, 15:18
:-? speed hiking ruins the trail don't do it.:-?

DawnTreader
12-16-2007, 15:18
if you are indeed going through with this attempt, forget the maildrops... you won't have time for that.. you need a support team to follow you down the trail.. give it a go, what the hell.. good luck.. however, 30 days is probably impossible..

Lone Wolf
12-16-2007, 15:19
This is not a joke.... The guy who did it did it in 47 days.... That is 57 miles per day.... So 70 miles per day just means walking an extra couple of hours....

dude. andy thompson was supported the whole way. you going unsupported? can't be done in 30 days

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 15:19
72.5 miles per day is what I had calculated it out to.... with a pack it only took me 19 hours to walk 115 miles from Tucson to Phoenix AZ... Besides in the mountains I know my footspeed will be lower and I can make up the extra milage on the flat lands( straight aways..)

SGT Rock
12-16-2007, 15:20
Good luck with that.

Lone Wolf
:-? speed hiking ruins the trail don't do it.:-?

it doesn't do a thing to the trail

neighbor dave
:-? you doin' it in a pair of "justins"?:-?

neighbor dave
12-16-2007, 15:21
it doesn't do a thing to the trail
:-? ruins the trail. bad bad bad:-?
walk softly carry big stick

DAKS
12-16-2007, 15:22
good luck with that! say hello to georgia girl live when you pass by her!

Spirit Walker
12-16-2007, 15:24
Walking along a flat highway is not exactly like walking in the rocks and roots of the Appalachians.

neighbor dave
12-16-2007, 15:25
Walking along a flat highway is not exactly like walking in the rocks and roots of the Appalachians.
:-? ya but he's a cowboy, they're tough!:-?

wildcowboy238
The AT in 30 days is a stretch and this I know..... I figure if I walk for 16 hrs a day I can cover good ground.... once I have the my gear list down for this venture I will post it.... no justins for this hike...lol....

Lone Wolf
72.5 miles per day is what I had calculated it out to.... with a pack it only took me 19 hours to walk 115 miles from Tucson to Phoenix AZ... Besides in the mountains I know my footspeed will be lower and I can make up the extra milage on the flat lands( straight aways..)

it can't be done. it won't be done. you will fail in this attempt of 30 days especially if you try NOBO

Lone Wolf
12-16-2007, 15:27
The AT in 30 days is a stretch and this I know..... I figure if I walk for 16 hrs a day I can cover good ground.... once I have the my gear list down for this venture I will post it.... no justins for this hike...lol....

you cannot hike 4.5 miles per hour for 16 hours on the AT

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 15:28
True it's not the same but keep in mind I am doing my training in the Mountains to get my foot speed and pack weight down to a T..... If I think for one moment before I head out that I can't do it then I wont do it.... You have to look at it from this view point.... when I hike in the mountains around here I try to take the roughest terrain I can during training..... I am already upto 55 miles per day here so 75 isn't that far off....

Bearpaw
12-16-2007, 15:29

I'm curious to know which flatlands and straight aways you're referring to on the AT. There's probably less than 220 miles of level trail on the AT. Less than 10% of the whole .

If you're committed, try it. Just be prepared to adjust your goals if necessary. After all, 45 would still be a record. Is 62 days still the record for a non-supported hike? Not that many folks keep up with records here.

neighbor dave
:-? the A.T. is a lightweight trail, it's got shelters all over it with a rooad crossing every 5 miles. you can do it. i'm takin' bets:-?
p.s. you "cowboy" campin' and drinkin' "cowboy" coffee???

DawnTreader
better to try and fail than not try at all. plus, when you decide to forget about the speed attempt, you'll still be on the AT, and you may be able to salvage your trip with a normal thru hike...

Lone Wolf
12-16-2007, 15:31
Is 62 days still the record for a non-supported hike?

60 days by Ward Leornard

neighbor dave
12-16-2007, 15:31
better to try and fail than not try at all. plus, when you decide to forget about the speed attempt, you'll still be on the AT, and you may be able to salvage your trip with a normal thru hike...
:-? what's a "normal" hike anyway?:-?

DawnTreader
12-16-2007, 15:32
whatever happend to squeaky?? Anyone here if he's gonna make another try????

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 15:32
not cowboy camping....coffee yes....lol....as for the bets put me down for $20... lol....

DawnTreader
12-16-2007, 15:33
By "normal" ... I meant not a record attempt..

neighbor dave
12-16-2007, 15:34
whatever happend to squeaky?? Anyone here if he's gonna make another try????
:-? he's got a "normal" life now with little squeakys on the way!! the englishmen are tough,he'll be back, you can bet on that:-?

DawnTreader
12-16-2007, 15:36
What's a "normal" life??? hahaha
what a horrible word "normal"... so blah

Miss Janet
12-16-2007, 15:37
QUICK!!! LOOK UP!!!

Is that "Gullible" written on the ceiling over your head??

Lone Wolf
12-16-2007, 15:38
QUICK!!! LOOK UP!!!

hook, line and sinker

Bearpaw
12-16-2007, 15:39
60 days by Ward Leornard

Thanks.

57 or so days unsupported is possible for someone in great shape with the right attitude.

It would be an "unofficial" record I imagine. ATC still doesn't keep any "official" records for speed-hikes, do they?

pitdog
12-16-2007, 15:39
First of all,lone wolf has more experience on ultras.

neighbor dave
12-16-2007, 15:40
What's a "normal" life??? hahaha
what a horrible word "normal"... so blah
:-? wife/husband 1 token kid, 1 pet,1 house , constant pressure from your boss, your cholestarol is high, you're over weight, bald, in debt up to your ears, haven't had a vacation in years!!:-?

DawnTreader
12-16-2007, 15:41
:) Miss Janet, your way off, gullible isn't written on my ceiling, I painted over that weeks ago..

neighbor dave
12-16-2007, 15:41
First of all,lone wolf has more experience on ultras.
:-? yup, lone wolf in 29:-?

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 15:47
ok with the ATC I know the don't keep records on speed hikes... already asked.... I do know one thing about this attempt and that is, it wont be easy... Once you prepare your body and mind nothing is impossible... As I said before I am working on the pack weight and foot speed..... the one thing I love and that drives me is someone telling me it can't be done.....I thrive on pressure... it is an amazing driving force...

pitdog
12-16-2007, 15:47
I'd rather try for a 59 unsupported.

Lone Wolf
12-16-2007, 15:48
it can't be done. it won't be done. by you or anyone else. :D what month/day are you attemping this foolishness?

neighbor dave
12-16-2007, 15:48
ok with the ATC I know the don't keep records on speed hikes... already asked.... I do know one thing about this attempt and that is, it wont be easy... Once you prepare your body and mind nothing is impossible... As I said before I am working on the pack weight and foot speed..... the one thing I love and that drives me is someone telling me it can't be done.....I thrive on pressure... it is an amazing driving force...
:-? ahhh don't listen to them, you can do it, it'll be a piece of cake:-?

pitdog
12-16-2007, 15:52
lone wolf do you think 59 unsuported is imposible.

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 15:52
I have been talking to Dr.s here about my attempt and every one I have spoken to have told me that as long as I keep my mind focused and make sure I have food and nurishment and water it is possible... I have a nutrionist working on my menu right now....so waiting for that and the local university and I are talking about GPS tracking dots....although I think the dot will not be a reality but worth a shot....

rafe
12-16-2007, 15:54
The camp community is a sanctuary and a refuge from the scramble of every-day worldly commercial life. It is in essence a retreat from profit. Cooperation replaces antagonism, trust replaces suspicion, emulation replaces competition.

-- Benton MacKaye, in the 1921 article that "launched" the Appalachian Trail project.

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 15:58
May 1, 2008 is the date I am starting

DawnTreader
12-16-2007, 15:59
Benton MacKaye is dead... R.I.P. As long as your not hurting me or anyone else.. go for it.. However, I think you'd be better off planning a supported hike, and maybe shoot for 40 days..

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 16:05
here is a question.... how will my walking the AT fast hurt anyone???... just wondering is all

Lone Wolf
12-16-2007, 16:07
here is a question.... how will my walking the AT fast hurt anyone???... just wondering is all

you'll surely hurt yourself. but no one else

DawnTreader
12-16-2007, 16:07
That's my point... your not hurting anyone... go for it..

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 16:09
oh oh...lol...wasn't sure.....and hope I wasn't comming across as being rude

pitdog
12-16-2007, 16:10
I dont think you will be hurting anyone else;however,I would worry about hurting yourself.

Marta
12-16-2007, 16:13
There's ambitious to the point of making a lot of people go "Whoa!" That was the attempt Squeaky had planned. Given his previous hiking, it seemed possible. But I've got to point out, it has not yet been achieved.

Then there's preposterous. 70+ miles per day is preposterous.

Is it April 1st and I just don't know it?

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 16:13
tell you what...when I was hiking the other day someone asked me why I was working so hard and I told them....a reporter from KVOA called and asked me about it and now on 1/1/08 they are comming over to interview me calling it a "Great New Years Resolution".... I hate cameras....lol

DawnTreader
12-16-2007, 16:14
wildcowboy238,
It sounds like you dead serious about this.. don't listen to the naysayers, although, I don't think you'll make it in 30 days.. If you arn't already, you need to train for months... You will need to be a super athlete, and you WILL need a support crew following you.. Have you ever been on the AT Before?

doggiebag
12-16-2007, 16:18
At 4.5 miles an hour you will be descending Blood Mountain heading to Neels gap on your 6th hour (a 1,200 downclimb). It will probably be dark and 4.5 miles an hour in that terrain is unlikely. They do have ice at Walasi-YI and Alpine can usually handle most traumatic injuries.

dessertrat
12-16-2007, 16:21
you cannot hike 4.5 miles per hour for 16 hours on the AT

And even if you could do it for one day, or two days, or three days, you could not do it for 30 days.

Oh, and even if you can, don't forget that you will need to stop for food in towns (which means leaving the trail sometimes), not to mention that pesky wait for the ferry on the Kennebec.

I have a feeling you are just trolling, but if you are serious, please consider that "that guy" who did it in 47 days had a full support team meeting him on the trail with food and water, and that he was an ultra-runner. He would run for 10 or 12 hours, and then be taken to someone's house. He was not an unsupported hiker.

An unsupported hiker did it in 50-something days, by hiking ultra-long days. He was, by the way, a veteran endurance hiker. You are saying that you will cut his time almost in half????

Good luck with that.

DAKS
12-16-2007, 16:22
i just hope that all this talk about breaking records doesn't lead to the testing for performance enhancing drugs?? LOL!

ed bell
12-16-2007, 16:24
tell you what...when I was hiking the other day someone asked me why I was working so hard and I told them....a reporter from KVOA called and asked me about it and now on 1/1/08 they are comming over to interview me calling it a "Great New Years Resolution".... I hate cameras....lolInvolving the media now as well? Terrible idea IMHO.

Marta
12-16-2007, 16:25
Just checking... Mike Popov's new unsupported record of the JMT was done at around 50 miles per day, for a little over 4 days.

Lone Wolf
12-16-2007, 16:27
I have a feeling you are just trolling, but if you are serious, please consider that "that guy" who did it in 47 days had a full support team meeting him on the trail with food and water, and that he was an ultra-runner. He would run for 10 or 12 hours, and then be taken to someone's house. He was not an unsupported hiker.

An unsupported hiker did it in 50-something days, by hiking ultra-long days. He was, by the way, a veteran endurance hiker. You are saying that you will cut his time almost in half????

Andy had one guy supporting him. he didn't always run. they camped on the trail a lot.

Ward Leonard did it unsupported in 60 days

bigboots
12-16-2007, 16:29
We might have to start putting a big * on peoples packs.:-?

Bigboots

weary
12-16-2007, 16:31
A 30 day thru hike is something like a weekend jogger aiming for a 3.5 minute mile -- and has an equal chance for success.

Weary

Bearpaw
12-16-2007, 16:39
Just checking... Mike Popov's new unsupported record of the JMT was done at around 50 miles per day, for a little over 4 days.

That's the other thing to consider. The JMT is packed full of switchbacks. Yes, there is a good deal of climbing. But it is not the almost-straight-up-the-fall-line style of so much of the AT. I've trekked a couple of 1000 miles in western states like Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Nevada, and California. None of them offer the degree of steep hiking prevalent in the northern and southern 1/3's of the AT. This is something to consider.

55 miles of switchbacks in Arizona is NOT 55 miles of AT in north Georgia and southern North Carolina. And let's not discuss southern Maine.....:( (though I hear the MATC has built some switchbacks since Earl Schaffer's scathing '98 comments).

Try for it, and try not to hurt yourself. If you realize you can't make it in 30 days, don't give up on 45 or even 59 (which is still a record for an unsupported hike).

Skidsteer
12-16-2007, 17:18
... with a pack it only took me 19 hours to walk 115 miles from Tucson to Phoenix AZ...

How many miles did you walk the next day?

MOWGLI
12-16-2007, 17:22
Most hikers can't cover Virginia in 30 days. :p

bullseye
12-16-2007, 17:27
though I hear the MATC has built some switchbacks since Earl Schaffer's scathing '98 comments.

WHERE!!??:-? :D

Bearpaw
12-16-2007, 17:30
WHERE!!??:-? :D

They were just beginning to work on some on Old Blue Mountain when I passed through in '99. The folks there said there were several sections planned for more switchbacks, but they may have never gotten past planning.

Squeaky 2
12-16-2007, 17:43
dont listen to people that say it is impossible. its not. there is an endurance race somewhere in the states where athletes complete laps of a block some place in new york. the winner averaged over 70 miles a day for over 40 days.

what will make it tougher though is the time of year you a starting. you will hit all the late winter snow pack in the north not to mention all the blow downs. do some better research on a start date. june is more realistic.

i did 72 on the AT before. my body was tired the next day. it would take years before anyones body could cope with these daily mileages on mountains.

rafe
12-16-2007, 17:44
Most hikers can't cover Virginia in 30 days. :p

Quite true. "Virginia in 30 days" would require nearly 18 miles/day sustained average. For most thru hikers who finish (at least in Roland Mueser's 1989 statistics) the median (long-term) daily average for succesful finishers was around 13-15 miles/day.

FanaticFringer
12-16-2007, 17:45
Good luck with that....oh yea....dont forget to stop and smell the bear poo.:rolleyes:

CoyoteWhips
12-16-2007, 17:48
Do it!

If the first day seems hard, just remember that there are only 29 left to go!

Wolf - 23000
12-16-2007, 17:50

To do the JMT in 4 days, it did not require getting off the trail to resupply and if he did he could do it by only walking and extra 3 times total. If he went ultra light, he should not have been carrying more than 10 pounds at the most total weight and lighter as he moved down the trail.

This whole thread is a JOKE. Some nobody thinking he is hot crap can walk and walk and walk over 72+ miles a day average, in between time resupply. I don't think so.

Wolf

bullseye
12-16-2007, 17:58
They were just beginning to work on some on Old Blue Mountain when I passed through in '99. The folks there said there were several sections planned for more switchbacks, but they may have never gotten past planning.

I was just funnin'. I always tell everyone that they don't know what a switchback is in Maine or NH. They just say, "Let's go straight to the top of this one, too!" :D

Froggy
12-16-2007, 18:07
WildCowboy, here's what I hope that you do:

1. When you get your nutrition and pack to the point that you think you can do it, go off for a week and spend seven days on that schedule in a mountainous place you've never been to, and give yourself a field test. Perhaps the Colorado Trail, it's about long enough.

2. Tell us how it all went, and what your equipment was, as well as your food and day to day experiences. Also, and perhaps most importantly, any lessons learned.

3. After the AT effort, regardless of how it worked out for you, tell us all about that - not the minute by minute story, but the big things: food, miles, weather, zero days, preparedness, equipment, the friends made, resupply, and the things you saw.

Thanks! This ought to be an interesting and enlightening adventure, maybe for you , maybe for us.

take-a-knee
12-16-2007, 18:08
Yeah, when you finish that 30 day thru, join the Army on the 18X program and show all the Green Berets at the Special Warfare Center how tough you are. After you impress all those guys then apply to go to CAG (Delta Force), they have a little "walk in the woods" that shouldn't pose a bit of a problem for you. I'm sure they'll be most impressed with your prowess.

Squeaky 2
12-16-2007, 18:23
stop the sarcasum and atleast give the guy some support. some advice for gear and start dates would be helpful.

doggiebag
12-16-2007, 18:25
Yeah, when you finish that 30 day thru, join the Army on the 18X program and show all the Green Berets at the Special Warfare Center how tough you are. After you impress all those guys then apply to go to CAG (Delta Force), they have a little "walk in the woods" that shouldn't pose a bit of a problem for you. I'm sure they'll be most impressed with your prowess.
He won't see Robin Sage. They'll milk his DNA then dissect him like a frog.

Pootz
12-16-2007, 18:25
30 days is only 5 months faster than I did the AT. LOL

Go for it. You never know what you can do until you try.

take-a-knee
12-16-2007, 18:28
He won't see Robin Sage. They'll milk his DNA then dissect him like a frog.

That is funny! The glint of truth is what often makes for good humor.

Appalachian Tater
12-16-2007, 18:36
I don't think it will be too much if you have a dog to carry your equipment and don't take a zero more than once a week.

Lone Wolf
12-16-2007, 18:45
stop the sarcasum and atleast give the guy some support. some advice for gear and start dates would be helpful.

he should know all this. he will fail

Colter
12-16-2007, 18:47
Ideas anyone????

If your post is serious, and that's a BIG "if," you won't make it. Not even close. That's like if the 10K record is 26 minutes and someone saying they are training hoping to run a 16 minute 10K in their next race. That person would fail, also. Big time. I see no point in encouraging someone who is attempting to do something that, in the real world, they simply will not, and can not, do.

If you have your heart set on breaking the record, make a reasonable plan rather than setting yourself up for certain failure.

Lone Wolf
12-16-2007, 18:50
foolhardy comes to mind. :)

Grumpy Ol' Pops
12-16-2007, 18:54
We all know the reality of thruhiking. Let's be as positive for this hiker as we can be and wish him all the luck in the world -- he's doing this as a tribute to the woman who gave him life! It's his way to repay that debt in his own way. I, for one, hope he makes it. Just out of the brute willpower he will need to accomplish his oal, I wish I was able to be part of the support team for this attempt.

Programbo
12-16-2007, 19:00

While I am not completely sure this isn`t all some sort of joke let me just say....Does anyone ever watch the show "Everest: Beyond the Limit"? Basically it`s a show following a group of people who arrive at Mount Everest and attempt to climb it..Anyway on this seasons show there was this woman named Betsy Huelskamp ..This woman had NO chance of making that climb and should never had been allowed to even get on a plane and go there and start the attempt....The best "support and advice" she could have received was to stay home....Squeaky was going to attempt 40 days totally supported..Do you think even with all your vast experience you could have cut that by 10 days more AND gone without any support?...The NY "race" you mention in an earlier post was on flat city streets where they weren`t carrying packs and they had daily support of all type....Now I shall end with my usual.."However"....If some sort of "Ultra-Runner" were to attempt to "run" the AT with a complete support crew (Where`s David Blair when you need him? :-? ) maybe the 40 day mark would fall... Maybe

Smile
12-16-2007, 19:00
WildCowboy - go for it. Never say never.
Listen to yourself, your goals, and what you want to do. After all, it's your feet and body out there, I wish you the best and keep us posted on when you will start.

Hopefully, you'll get as much encouragment along the way (and folks to share a few miles at your pace if only for a few hours) like others who have gone before you and set records.

Plan to Succeed! :)

ScottP
12-16-2007, 19:01
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30529

warren doyle
12-16-2007, 19:01
First they said that if Vietnam fell, the Cold War-type communists would take over the world (more likely the Chinese multi-national corporate capitalist communists will instead)...

Then they said there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq (now billions of dollars and many dead and wounded later).....

Then Squeaky said he could do an unsupported below 40-day thru-hike of the AT a few years ago....

And now a cowboy from Arizona says 30 days? I guess he drinks the same water as that other cowboy from Texas. (the Ponce de Leon syndrome)

Lone Wolf
12-16-2007, 19:04
mom's gonna be disappointed

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 19:05
I walked back

Jan LiteShoe
12-16-2007, 19:07
QUICK!!! LOOK UP!!!

There are worse things in the world than being gullible.
:sun

Skidsteer
12-16-2007, 19:09
I walked back

230 mile in two days.

You're full of ****. :D

Lone Wolf
12-16-2007, 19:10
230 mile in two days.

You're full of ****. :D

ya think!? :eek:

maxNcathy
12-16-2007, 19:11
I would suggest you stick to your original plan..going for the record after you walked it with your mother.
So she will be there in spirit with you as you take your time to smell the roses and do all the other things your Mom would want to do if she was with you on the hike.
Maybe if you love the slower paced hike with your Mom, you will decide to speed it way up next time and leave her far behind and chase your child's egodream of hiking the AT at manic speed.

Your Mom loves you regardless..she would be ecstatic if the only walk you ever took was a walk to the flower shop once a year to buy her flowers on her birthday.

Take good care, Sandalwood

rafe
12-16-2007, 19:16
There are worse things in the world than being gullible.

Unfortunately gullible people can still vote. :eek:

Skidsteer
12-16-2007, 19:16
... with a pack it only took me 19 hours to walk 115 miles from Tucson to Phoenix AZ...

I walked back

But how many miles did you walk the second day, Huck?

weary
12-16-2007, 19:21
mom's gonna be disappointed
Worse yet. Even if you claim to have succeeded absolutely no rational person is going to believe you.

Aside from supplying critical support, a supported speed record has the advantage of providing witnesses of sort. I met and talked with Mainiac during his record attempt in 1991 and watched his competitor zip by one day.

That's one problem with speed records on the AT. There are no witnesses of the whole run. The only evidence is the claim of the claimant.

I only half believed mainiac until I read his account of recurring nightmares over the ordeal years later. Well, I think it was his account. I didn't really pay much attention when I read it. Maybe it was the other guy who was making the attempt that year.

Weary, who typically spends 30 days thru hiking Maine and feels proud when he achieves his "impossible" goal. I don't have nightmares, but occasionally still have pleasant dreams of events that occurred during those efforts.

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 19:23
I love this.... think about it..... I've done a lot of walking in my day and I was born in TN and the smokies were in my back yard as a child unp unitil I moved here to AZ I would hike in them alot so I know the terrain well....atleast in the smokies.... If I didn't think I could do this I wouldn't even think about it...

Skidsteer
12-16-2007, 19:26
Still haven't answered my question.

rafe
12-16-2007, 19:26
I love this.... think about it..... I've done a lot of walking in my day and I was born in TN and the smokies were in my back yard as a child unp unitil I moved here to AZ I would hike in them alot so I know the terrain well....atleast in the smokies.... If I didn't think I could do this I wouldn't even think about it...

Right. So, have you ever done a 72.5 mile day on the A.T.?

In fact, have you ever spent a day on the A.T.?

Lone Wolf
12-16-2007, 19:29
i don't care who you are. this is a funny thread right here! :banana

Skidsteer
12-16-2007, 19:32
i don't care who you are. this is a funny thread right here! :banana

I'm really enjoying it for some weird reason. It's just so goofy even if he is a troll. :jump

MOWGLI
12-16-2007, 19:34
And on the 7th day... he passed through Damascus, VA.

doggiebag
12-16-2007, 19:35
Did he rest?

Montego
12-16-2007, 19:35
Well I, for one, wish you the best of luck and hope you succeed. I would be most interested in reading your after-journal about your attempt.

A couple of things to consider: (1) Contact the FAA before you start, so that they don't have The Department of Homeland Security scramble a couple of fighters to intercept you, since you'll be moving so fast, and (2) I'm a slow hiker, so just yell "coming through" when 'ya get to me, so I can jump off the trail when you pass :D .

MOWGLI
12-16-2007, 19:37
Did he rest?

5 minutes for a slice and a beer. Then.... WHOOSH!!!!

doggiebag
12-16-2007, 19:39
That's just unholy.

Jan LiteShoe
12-16-2007, 19:44
Unfortunately gullible people can still vote. :eek:
We're talking about someone's supposed speed hike attempt here.

Lone Wolf
12-16-2007, 19:45

a pipe dream really

DAKS
12-16-2007, 19:51
this is a great thread! i'm ordering delivery! anyone else?

Pedaling Fool
Weary makes a good point, which is no one will believe you if you accomplish your goal; they won't believe you even if you do it over 30, but under Ward Leonard's time.
I'll be finishing up my hike about the time you start, I'll be happy to be a witness, by meeting you at all the road crossing. I don't really believe you can do it, but I like to watch people try and break records, even if it's hazardous to their health.

River Runner
LOL. Gotta love this one.

Sure he can make it in 30 days - yellow blazin' the heck out of it! Anyone remember how long it took Bill Bryson? :-?

Cowboy, be sure to keep us updated on your progress in your spare time in the evenings. :rolleyes:

doggiebag
12-16-2007, 19:55
By the time this guys comes down. He would realize the importance of staying away from the keyboard when high and delusions of grandeur are most intense. He should stay away from Ebay as well .... he'll end up buying all sorts of useless crap.

rafe
12-16-2007, 19:59

Well, ya know, I've never bought into speed-hiking in any case (and I had the "honor" of meeting Ward not once but twice in 1990) -- but Cowboy's plan involves a heavy dose of the absurd and surreal.

Weary makes an interesting point that even if the attempt were succesful, it would not be believed. I'm reminded of a similar story where the young Jon Krakauer describes the reaction of folks in the bar in Alaska, after mentioning that he'd just climbed The Thumb.

(Or the reaction of folks back in the Shire, after Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin return from the wars.)

Personally, I'm of the opinion that our Cowboy is clueless and full of himself.

BigCat
12-16-2007, 20:01
LOL. I give this troll attempt a 9.0 out of 10.
You got 6 pages of responses in only a few hours, bravo!

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 20:04
For one I am not doing it for bragging rights.... and 2 I never asked the press in on this in the first place..... so wether I do finish in the time alotted or don't atleast I am on the trail and keeping a promise.....

neighbor dave
12-16-2007, 20:06
:-? i'm thinking he's eatin' some of these right now :-?
http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/st-plains/nature/images/Peyote-button-sm.jpg

Kirby
12-16-2007, 20:28
I would like to note that on this pace you will enjoy lunch on day one at Neels Gap.

70 miles a day in Maine? Right. I am beat after 12-17 miles in Maine, and I am at the invincible age of 16.

At this pace, you propose to cover what will take me 2.5-3 months in 15 days(to Harpers).

Why don't you do your first thru-hike at a normal pace, then try and sprint the AT, that way if you fail, you will have already hiked the entire trail.

Kirby

Programbo
12-16-2007, 20:34
..... so wether I do finish in the time alotted or don't at least I am on the trail and keeping a promise.....

You promised your mom you would hike the AT in 30 days???..I thought you were simply going to thru-hike the AT as you and your mom had planned to do together..Or was your mom going to do it in 30 days as well?...I`m curious when the "ultra-marathon" aspect of this came in

Roots
12-16-2007, 20:50
I've got the popcorn....who's in?!?:D

Smile
12-16-2007, 20:52
You get out there and do your thing for your Mom.
Don't let others discourage your dream, no matter what. Whether you make this 'goal' or not. Hike your hike.

Didn't they laugh at a guy named Earl Shaffer back in 1948? :)

Roots
12-16-2007, 20:54
You get out there and do your thing for your Mom.
Don't let others discourage your dream, no matter what. Whether you make this 'goal' or not. Hike your hike.

Didn't they laugh at a guy named Earl Shaffer back in 1948? :)

True, very true. I can't wait to see how this one comes out.:)

doggiebag
12-16-2007, 20:55
Thank God I don't have mommy issues.

Skidsteer
12-16-2007, 20:58
Still haven't answered my question Cowboy.

How many miles did you walk in the 24 hour period directly following your alleged 115 mile walk?

rafe
12-16-2007, 20:58
LOL. I give this troll attempt a 9.0 out of 10.
You got 6 pages of responses in only a few hours, bravo!

In that regard, it's been spectacular, for sure. The dessert lobster must be envious.

weary
12-16-2007, 21:08
I would like to note that on this pace you will enjoy lunch on day one at Neels Gap.

70 miles a day in Maine? Right. I am beat after 12-17 miles in Maine, and I am at the invincible age of 16.

At this pace, you propose to cover what will take me 2.5-3 months in 15 days(to Harpers).

Why don't you do your first thru-hike at a normal pace, then try and sprint the AT, that way if you fail, you will have already hiked the entire trail.

Kirby
Kirby. God bless you. You put this thing in perspective better than any of us.

Well, if there is a God, I sure hopes she blesses you.

Weary

ed bell
12-16-2007, 21:11
Steroids, HGH and crystal meth could not even make it happen for you, cowboy. While the encouraging words are obviously designed to keep you focused on hiking the AT instesd of not at all, I doubt anyone thinks that your goal is realistic or possible. Troll? Nice play. Not a troll? Re-evaluate what you are claiming to attempt.:cool: Oh, and cancel the media interview.

doggiebag
12-16-2007, 21:16
3 words: Mad cow disease.

wrongway_08
12-16-2007, 21:23
WOW.
Good luck.
Cancel the media interview
Keep at your goal
If it dont work out, you have a back up plan to just hike and enjoy it for 6 months - right?
Good luck
See you March 1st. For about 5 minutes :)

dessertrat
12-16-2007, 21:24
I have decided, by the way, that I am going to run the Indianapolis 500, on foot, against those formula 1 cars.

Since that is my dream, I will expect the full support and encouragement of everyone on Whiteblaze. No naysayers please!

Panzer1
12-16-2007, 21:24
Andy had one guy supporting him. he didn't always run. they camped on the trail a lot.

Ward Leonard did it unsupported in 60 days

Andy Thompson had 2 guys supporting him. One ran/walked with him the other drove the van. When they met up at road crossings with the van the driver would then run/hike with Andy and the other guy took over the van. Those 2 guys also served a witness's that Andy didn't cheat.

Panzer

Kirby
12-16-2007, 21:27
WOW.
Good luck.
Cancel the media interview
Keep at your goal
If it dont work out, you have a back up plan to just hike and enjoy it for 6 months - right?
Good luck
See you March 1st. For about 5 minutes :)

Well, by the time you summit Springer(assuming you plan to enjoy the 9 mile approach, and have a decent amount of time on the summit), he plans to be north of Neels Gap.

Dessertrat:
Go for it!:rolleyes:;):D:o

Kirby

Panzer1
12-16-2007, 21:27
Are you going to have a witness with you. Or we just supposed to believe that you did this. How are you going to prove that you did this without cheating.

Panzer
the doubter

Panzer1
12-16-2007, 21:28
How are you going to make up for rain days. Or are you going to tell us that your going to hike 70 miles on a rain day.

Panzer

XRAY
12-16-2007, 21:30
You can only learn from experience...possible or impossible:-?

wrongway_08
12-16-2007, 21:31
Well, by the time you summit Springer(assuming you plan to enjoy the 9 mile approach, and have a decent amount of time on the summit), he plans to be north of Neels Gap.

Dessertrat:

Kirby

Damn, forgot about the approach trail ........ good luck ..... wont get to see you off........ ride on Cowboy, ride on.

dessertrat
12-16-2007, 21:33

Dessertrat:

Kirby

Kirby: I can't help but like a Maine boy! (I grew up in Manchester, just west of Augusta). Do you think "between Kittery and Fort Kent" is just a bit too specific, maybe?

doggiebag
12-16-2007, 21:33
Man I haven't laughed this much since I got off the trail :D . Priceless.

Kirby
12-16-2007, 21:38
Damn, forgot about the approach trail ........ good luck ..... wont get to see you off........ ride on Cowboy, ride on.

Maybe if you hurry you will catch him on day one:rolleyes::D.

Dessertrat:
better than between Portland and Portland:D.

Kirby

SGT Rock
12-16-2007, 21:41
If you start May 1st, I guess that means you will be passing me in Connecticut on about the 19th. I'll wave.

dessertrat
12-16-2007, 21:43
If you start May 1st, I guess that means you will be passing me in Connecticut on about the 19th. I'll wave.

You army guys are so dang slow, Sarge.

Kirby
12-16-2007, 21:48

Rock:
I expect you to be cranking out at least 150 miles a day by the time you reach Harpers:rolleyes:.

Kirby

Panzer1
12-16-2007, 21:51
I can't believe that people are actually responding seriously to this thread.

Panzer

wrongway_08
12-16-2007, 21:53

Panzer

Whachya talkn bout Panzer? :D

SGT Rock
12-16-2007, 22:09
Rock:
I expect you to be cranking out at least 150 miles a day by the time you reach Harpers:rolleyes:.

KirbyI'm going to be taking it easy.

PanzerWhat makes you think we are serious. Did you see the packing list thread for this hike?

Someone that plans to hike 72.5 mile days and is serious...:-?

Kirby
12-16-2007, 22:13
I'm going to be taking it easy.

So 50-80 to start just to get into the swing of things?

Kirby

SGT Rock
12-16-2007, 22:17

Kirby
47.8 MPD

Appalachian Tater
12-16-2007, 22:21
All of you should be ashamed.

Remember, Minnessota Smith was pooh-poohed on WhiteBlaze, and he did what he said he was going to do.

weary
12-16-2007, 22:31

Kirby
Your estimate is way too high Kirb. My guess is 12-15!

SGT Rock
12-16-2007, 22:34
Your estimate is way too high Kirb. My guess is 12-15!
OK, I was funning, you are right. I am planning on about 13 MPD the first week, about 14 MPD for the second week, and about 15 MPD for the third week as I build into my trail legs and enjoy the winter weather.

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 22:35
you know what is interesting is to those who think I am not serious just have no faith in your fellow man..... That list was one asking for suggestions and although you seem to think this thread is a joke actually hurts my feelings.... And to answer a earlier question I did do 230 in 2 days and was dead tired when I got back.....
I wouldn't have posted this thread if I was joking.... You want to know why I am doing this for my mother???.... When my mother passed away I was a day late for her funeral.... It seemed every time while I was growing up I could do no right in my family's eyes... The only person who even talks to me is my Step dad who I call me father because My father was never around.... Once my mom Passed her family said I was a mistake and wanted nothing to do with me.... So this attempt if For my Mother and all the times I let her down in life....

Kirby
12-16-2007, 22:36
Someone famously said:
"I plan on averaging 2,175 miles over the course of 6 months".

Kirby

itaylor
12-16-2007, 22:40
You'll go flying by me....I thought my 120 days was fast!!!

Panzer1
12-16-2007, 22:40
I you want to honor your mothers memory then be serious about this and just try to beat the current record by one day. That's something thats doable. Take care to be able to prove your claim.

Panzer

Kirby
12-16-2007, 22:42
you know what is interesting is to those who think I am not serious just have no faith in your fellow man..... That list was one asking for suggestions and although you seem to think this thread is a joke actually hurts my feelings.... And to answer a earlier question I did do 230 in 2 days and was dead tired when I got back.....
I wouldn't have posted this thread if I was joking.... You want to know why I am doing this for my mother???.... When my mother passed away I was a day late for her funeral.... It seemed every time while I was growing up I could do no right in my family's eyes... The only person who even talks to me is my Step dad who I call me father because My father was never around.... Once my mom Passed her family said I was a mistake and wanted nothing to do with me.... So this attempt if For my Mother and all the times I let her down in life....

Wildcowboy:
I have the highest respect for what you are trying to do, and what you are doing it for. A lot of experienced AT hikers have posted in this thread with honest advice about what you want to do.

It is great that you are going to thru-hike for your mom, but 30 days will be difficult beyond comprehension.

Good luck.
Kirby

SGT Rock
12-16-2007, 22:42
I doubt claiming to do the impossible and failing because you have no clue what you are talking about is going to help you overcome all that personal baggage.

ed bell
12-16-2007, 22:43
.... And to answer a earlier question I did do 230 in 2 days and was dead tired when I got back.....
230 miles in 48 hours. That turns out to be 4.79 miles per hour for two days straight. Correct? Honor your mother by being honest.:sun

ChinMusic
12-16-2007, 22:48
75 miles on the AT for an average sized male would require something like 15000+ (maybe 20000+) calories a day.

Nevermind can a person walk/run this much every day, can they EAT that much?

Programbo
..... So this attempt if For my Mother and all the times I let her down in life....

IF you are serious I would suggest you scale back your plans drastically to simply beating the existing record and WITH support....Or beating the existing unsupported record...THEN you might not catch so much flak...Coming up with such an insane time without support is just making everyone (Including me) think this is all some huge joke.....And you are taking a stove???? :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
When I wnet to Air Assualt school the guy with the record time for the 12 miler was 1 hour 15 minutes. But that is a run speed - he didn't walk it. A 9 minute mile (airbore shuffle speed) means you make about 6.5 miles per hour at a slow run.

STEVEM
12-16-2007, 22:52
Wildcowboy, I hope you plan to include the Approach Trail. Some people will say you cheated if you skip it. At most, it will only add two hours to your hike.

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 22:52
who said anything about this being unsupported????

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 22:53
The approach trail is a must...it wouldn't be an attempt without it...

Panzer1
12-16-2007, 22:55
I'd skip the approach trail. Its not needed to set a record. It would only hold you back.

Panzer

SGT Rock
12-16-2007, 22:55
You have. Not directly saying "unsupported", but in your past posts about the gear you are going to carry, the way you want to re-supply, and the issues you have getting to Springer. Getting a support plan for a 2,175 mile hike is a whole lot harder than getting to the termini.

River Runner
12-16-2007, 22:56

YOU!

"I have done all the math and am working on my drops if I don't buy along the trail...."

Sound familiar?

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 22:57
I have 4 1/2 months to get a support system in place for food and water....I am working that angle right now....should be in place when I head out... I also have a verifiable way to track me while I am on the trail....and for those who would like to check my progress along the way once I start can do so once I have my GPS tracking number..... The GPS tracking device will be sewn into my pack....

Kirby
12-16-2007, 22:58
I think Wildcowboy posted that gear list before he decided to hike the AT in 30 days.

Kirby

Skidsteer
12-16-2007, 22:58

So who is on your support team?

Appalachian Tater
12-16-2007, 23:02
I think Wildcowboy posted that gear list before he decided to hike the AT in 30 days.

Kirby

He posted it while he was still taking his lithium.

Panzer1
12-16-2007, 23:02

In several of your posts you referred to your "pack weight". If you're carrying a pack that indicates that it is an unsupported hike. If there is confusion here it is you who caused it.

Panzer

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 23:03
already have a way to the termini..... and every hike along the AT is supported.... once you have mail drops with food and such it is support no matter how you look at it... unsupported would be never leaveing the trail and doing the thru hike with what you have on your back..... support is support...

Mags
12-16-2007, 23:03
http://flamewarriors.com/warriorshtm/troller.htm

Maybe? :)

Entertaining thread in any case...

I did a record myself this weekend:
TWO days of backcountry skiing with two nights of post ski burgers and beers. Mmmmm...

Mississippi
12-16-2007, 23:04
It sounds like you let yourself down more than your mother. If you want to make things right with your mother, you must first make things right with yourself. Grow up a little, get in touch with reality and before you know it peace with the past will soon follow. To say one is going to do the impossible is not insane, but saying one is going to do the impossible for someone else is. It is obvious that you let your mother down many times before when you didn't want too. What will stop you this time when life gets really tough. You have yet to mention a Higher Power on you gear list. I don't believe your will power is stong enough, as you've already told us. In the end the day, the only person we really have to answer to is ourselves. Best of luck anyway though.

Panzer1
12-16-2007, 23:05
I also have a verifiable way to track me while I am on the trail....and for those who would like to check my progress along the way once I start can do so once I have my GPS tracking number..... The GPS tracking device will be sewn into my pack....

What is this GPS tracking number? I'm not familiar with that. How does it work?

Panzer

River Runner
12-16-2007, 23:08
already have a way to the termini..... and every hike along the AT is supported.... once you have mail drops with food and such it is support no matter how you look at it... unsupported would be never leaveing the trail and doing the thru hike with what you have on your back..... support is support...

Supported means someone other than you is worrying about the logistics of supplying you with food, water, and shelter.

You are really a hoot! Don't even know what to take, yet you think you know better than some very experienced hikers how quickly you can travel on terrain you've never seen.

Thanks for making what might have been an otherwise boring day hilarious!

ed bell
12-16-2007, 23:09
already have a way to the termini.....You gonna clone yourself now and start from both ends at once? You really are talented.:D

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 23:10
Panzer,,,
do you use mail drops of buy stuff on the trail???

Panzer1
12-16-2007, 23:11
Can you give us the name of this GPS device?

Panzer

Grumpy Ol' Pops
12-16-2007, 23:11
a pipe dream really

Was the same said of the blind man or the climber with two artificial legs who topped Mt. Everest?

doggiebag
12-16-2007, 23:13
This reminds me of the time that Mountain Lion visited Bloodroot. It turned out that his little brother hijacked his account to post some really wild claims about a cougar in his back yard. Sorry for the digression. Thanks for the laughs. It's been a hoot.

CaseyB
12-16-2007, 23:13
What is this GPS tracking number? I'm not familiar with that. How does it work?

Panzer
This kind of stuff does exist, and is becoming more attainable (cheaper). You get a personal GPS thingy that folks can use to track your location via some website. Like trailjournals without the fun stories.

This thread is a joke, by the way.

Mississippi
12-16-2007, 23:14
At least the man with no legs had been to Mt. Eerest before. That's where he lost them. On the next trip, he lost some more of his nubs.

Panzer1
12-16-2007, 23:16
Was the same said of the blind man or the climber with two artificial legs who topped Mt. Everest?

I guess the problem here is that we all know how long it takes to hike the trail.

Panzer

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 23:16
if you mail yourself something to resupply or you go and purchase something along the trail it is called support.... as for my packing list well I will say this much....I will be posting it in the next couple of days as I start to weed out what I don't need on the trail...I am not ignoring anyones advice at all .... once my mind is set the only one to deter me is me in the end.... as for the GPS number once I get my unit and activate it is when I am assigned a number and once I get the number I will post it....

Panzer1
12-16-2007, 23:17
This kind of stuff does exist, and is becoming more attainable (cheaper). You get a personal GPS thingy that folks can use to track your location via some website. Like trailjournals without the fun stories.

Details please. Give me something I can google. I want to see this thing.

Panzer

SGT Rock
12-16-2007, 23:19
I don't think anyone is trying to deter you from hiking, or hiking fast. I think they want you to just take a breath and get a little reality behind your plan. Some of the things you claim to be planning and some of the things you said about your hike make it sound about as possible as learning to breath underwater. We want you to finish.

Mississippi
if you mail yourself something to resupply or you go and purchase something along the trail it is called support.... as for my packing list well I will say this much....I will be posting it in the next couple of days as I start to weed out what I don't need on the trail...I am not ignoring anyones advice at all .... once my mind is set the only one to deter me is me in the end.... as for the GPS number once I get my unit and activate it is when I am assigned a number and once I get the number I will post it....
So, what do you carry in your pack now for your 55 mpd trips.

wildcowboy238
ST-WT/GPRS-EX is the GPS device

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 23:20
http://spyemporium.com/gps_tracking_systems_car_worldtracker_wt_gprs_ex.h tml
here is the link

River Runner
12-16-2007, 23:21
once my mind is set the only one to deter me is me in the end.... .

Maybe, or maybe reality will do it. ;)

CaseyB
12-16-2007, 23:23
Details please. Give me something I can google. I want to see this thing.

Panzer
something like this

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2005/09/navicoms_tiny_p.html

Surley you've heard/seen ads for petfinders, home again, etc. Same thing but for people. Turn it off before you go into the strip club.

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 23:23
so you were at Campbell then....<br>

River Runner
12-16-2007, 23:26
I don't think anyone is trying to deter you from hiking, or hiking fast. I think they want you to just take a breath and get a little reality behind your plan. Some of the things you claim to be planning and some of the things you said about your hike make it sound about as possible as learning to breath underwater. We want you to finish.

Well maybe when this first started. Now I just want him to post the next hilarious thought so I can keep the giggles coming.

:D

ed bell
I don't think anyone is trying to deter you from hiking, or hiking fast. I think they want you to just take a breath and get a little reality behind your plan. Some of the things you claim to be planning and some of the things you said about your hike make it sound about as possible as learning to breath underwater. We want you to finish.Good post. Shame if he wants to waste the help/advice he has alredy been given and would continue to receive on his other threads by keeping this charade going. Oh well, his bed.

Kirby
There are not many people on this site who will discourage you from attempting a thru hike. This site is meant to help make the dream a reality. 70 MPD is a lot. That means you plan to hike all of Georgia on day one. as I said, hiking the entire trail in 30 days, over some of the toughest terrain around, will be difficult beyond comprehension.

I wish you the best of luck,
Kirby

wildcowboy238
Casey B.... pretty much the same thing.....is interesting how something like this can help with a recor attempt.....

Skidsteer
12-16-2007, 23:27

Cowboy,

'Supported' in general means a team(or maybe just one friend) meeting you at convenient road crossings with food, water, shelter, shuttles to town and back, etc.

Mailing yourself supplies or buying supplies in towns is not considered a 'supported' hike.

You can get serious info here if you get real about it.

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 23:30
I do understand this....but I thrive on the difficult.... if I don't make it in 30 days I am not going to beat myself up over it.... atleast I will have tried.... and again I have thanked everyone for their advice... I ignore nothing because once you think you know everything what point is there anyways???

wildcowboy238
12-16-2007, 23:31
well support is support no matter how you look at it....

greg burke
12-16-2007, 23:32
whats the point......realy

River Runner
if you mail yourself something to resupply or you go and purchase something along the trail it is called support.....

Hey, don't forget if you use a post office for maildrops you have to fly through there during business hours. Or maybe you could get them to set up one of those old fashioned air mail pickups where the mail was on the top of the pole - just grab it as you fly by! :D

Kirby

You can not carry a full pack and try and finish the trail in 30 days. You should work on an elaborate support system so that you are carrying very little with you on trail.

Kirby

Frolicking Dinosaurs
What is the plan if you are somewhere on the trail at the end of 30 days? Finish up the hike or leave the trail?

4eyedbuzzard
12-16-2007, 23:33
So you have to AVERAGE 4.4 mph for 16 hours a day for 30 days?

If you are in physical shape to do this, and if you have food delivered to you so you son't have to take time out to buy fuel/food/supplies, here's what's going to happen:

You're going to fall and get hurt.

Skidsteer
12-16-2007, 23:34

Actually, no it's not.

In this case the difference is whether you hike with a 3-4 lb. fanny pack or a 25-30 lb backpack.

It makes a difference in the course of a 70 mile day.

Mississippi
Let go, remember, you don't know everything. Or, at least that's what you just said.

Panzer1
http://spyemporium.com/gps_tracking_systems_car_worldtracker_wt_gprs_ex.h tml
here is the link

Well it seems that it is light enough to be practical. But the rechargeable lithium batteries only last 22 hours and then need to be recharged. How are you going to handle that? Also how are "we" going to find your position?

Panzer

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-16-2007, 23:36
While 4.4 mph might be doable on some parts of the trail, 4eyedbuzzard makes a good point - going that fast on some of the rocky, bouldered sections would likely result in serious injury.

Montego
12-16-2007, 23:38
Well it seems that it is light enough to be practical. But the rechargeable lithium batteries only last 22 hours and then need to be recharged. How are you going to handle that? Also how are "we" going to find your position?

Panzer

Just watch for the SAR choppers! :cool:

Marta
12-16-2007, 23:39
Here I am about to go away for a week...11 pages/day times 6 days...Holy cow--this thread is moving along faster than the hike is supposed to.

CaseyB
12-16-2007, 23:40
Casey B.... pretty much the same thing.....is interesting how something like this can help with a recor attempt.....

This is probably more along the lines of the technology needed to achieve your goal:
http://www.robotoys.com/SWSpeederBike.gif

doggiebag
12-16-2007, 23:42
Here I am about to go away for a week...11 pages/day times 6 days...Holy cow--this thread is moving along faster than the hike is supposed to.
It's got too much momentum. It's become a living beast!

4eyedbuzzard
12-16-2007, 23:42
Huge difference between averaging 4.4mph on the AT vs walking at 4.4mph on graded trail, road, treadmill. He'll have to be running the equivalent of 3 marathons per day to make up for the places no one can move at those speeds. Just ain't gonna happen.

River Runner
12-16-2007, 23:45
This is probably more along the lines of the technology needed to achieve your goal:

There ya' go - no need for worrying about logistics of resupplying - just scoot to the nearest town and back - so what if you're in the 100 mile wilderness or not? :sun

Programbo
12-16-2007, 23:46

Nope..Everest is considered one of the easier climbs among the 8000 metre peaks..Especially when Sherpas go ahead and blaze a path.. Lay support lines..Set up ladders..cook meals..etc..... I don`t think any of the Everest guide services would have taken either of these gents on if they didn`t feel they had a realistic chance...Now if the blind man had said.."I`m going to climb Everest without bottled oxygen and unsupported and in 3 days."......THEN I`m sure you`d have heard the naysayers pop up :p

budforester
I wouldn't have posted this thread if I was joking.... So this attempt if For my Mother and all the times I let her down in life....

Please accept my sympathies on the loss of your mother. FWIW, I didn't think you were joking. I am concerned that you may push yourself into an injury, but go for it! If you set your record, great; if you fall short of your goal, you will know that you have tried.

Please know that Mom would not require this oath to be fulfilled; the desire is on your part. My personal experience and my world observations have been that mothers are understanding about small shortcomings, desiring success in the big- picture for their offspring. Moms are often pleased and contented with just the good intentions. Maybe consider whether she might prefer that you have a wonderful, enjoyable, contemplative hike to associate with her memory; that could be a good "plan B" if you get behind schedule.

doggiebag
Something more eco-friendly is in order:
It is the AT.

ed bell
Huge difference between averaging 4.4mph on the AT vs walking at 4.4mph on graded trail, road, treadmill. He'll have to be running the equivalent of 3 marathons per day to make up for the places no one can move at those speeds. Just ain't gonna happen.Right on, but not likely to dissuade "The Cowboy". Nice try.;)

DAKS
12-16-2007, 23:48
how do you plan on dealing with the inevitable chafing and blisters? moving at that pace for that long of a day is gonna' be painful even if you are in peak physical condition! the heat and sweat are gonna' take a toll!! kind of like fred flintstones brakes! yer' gonna' need some down time!

will someone pass me the popcorn!!!

Mississippi
12-16-2007, 23:50
It is the AT.
He could wear his "Justin's" if he rode that!

River Runner
12-16-2007, 23:53
It is the AT.

Think that would be considered a pack animal? Aren't pack animals prohibited on the AT?

At least with the ROBO speeder, he would only have to hover over the AT, and technically would not be on it, therefore no fine for breaking the rules??

:-?

doggiebag
12-16-2007, 23:54
Think that would be considered a pack animal? Aren't pack animals prohibited on the AT?

At least with the ROBO speeder, he would only have to hover over the AT, and technically would not be on it, therefore no fine for breaking the rules??

:-?
Pack animal or xtra large order of KFC? You decide.

ed bell
12-16-2007, 23:58
Please accept my sympathies on the loss of your mother. FWIW, I didn't think you were joking. I am concerned that you may push yourself into an injury, but go for it! If you set your record, great; if you fall short of your goal, you will know that you have tried.

Please know that Mom would not require this oath to be fulfilled; the desire is on your part. My personal experience and my world observations have been that mothers are understanding about small shortcomings, desiring success in the big- picture for their offspring. Moms are often pleased and contented with just the good intentions. Maybe consider whether she might prefer that you have a wonderful, enjoyable, contemplative hike to associate with her memory; that could be a good "plan B" if you get behind schedule.Good post, and it shows that people are still trying to help in good faith. Get real and don't waste the goodwill.:sun

Frolicking Dinosaurs

Please know that Mom would not require this oath to be fulfilled; the desire is on your part. My personal experience and my world observations have been that mothers are understanding about small shortcomings, desiring success in the big- picture for their offspring. Moms are often pleased and contented with just the good intentions. Maybe consider whether she might prefer that you have a wonderful, enjoyable, contemplative hike to associate with her memory; that could be a good "plan B" if you get behind schedule.As a mother (and grandmother and great-grandmother) I can say that I would much rather my children do whatever will help them grow in the ways that a really important. I'm sure your mother would be proud of you just for completing the hike regardless of the amount of time it takes because it take perseverance and guts to do that. Doing things like that is proof that you are becoming the sort of person who can be counted on.

Jan LiteShoe

Please know that Mom would not require this oath to be fulfilled; the desire is on your part. My personal experience and my world observations have been that mothers are understanding about small shortcomings, desiring success in the big- picture for their offspring. Moms are often pleased and contented with just the good intentions. Maybe consider whether she might prefer that you have a wonderful, enjoyable, contemplative hike to associate with her memory; that could be a good "plan B" if you get behind schedule.

This is the kindest thing I've read on here in a long while.
I'd share a beer with you budforester.

Moms are like that. Yeah, they are.

River Runner
12-16-2007, 23:59
Pack animal or xtra large order of KFC? You decide.

Hm... might solve his resupply problem too. Dinner and transportation all in one! :D

johngalt
12-17-2007, 00:00
Okay, before anyone else gets their panties in a wad consider this. Its all a joke! If he is planning on making a serious attempt (which would indeed be doable by a conditioned hiker/athlete) AND he seriously intended to succeed, why would he be leaving so early? :-?

Lone Wolf
12-17-2007, 00:02
a serious attempt (which would indeed be doable by a conditioned hiker/athlete)

a 30 day unsupported hike is NOT doable by anybody

Montego
12-17-2007, 00:04
a 30 day unsupported hike is NOT doable by anybody

Even Chuck Norris?:confused:

weary
12-17-2007, 00:06
IF you are serious I would suggest you scale back your plans drastically to simply beating the existing record and WITH support....Or beating the existing unsupported record...THEN you might not catch so much flak...Coming up with such an insane time without support is just making everyone (Including me) think this is all some huge joke.....And you are taking a stove???? :rolleyes:
Or better yet, just do the trail in six months. It will be a great time and would have pleased your mother greatly. Any thru hike attempt is rare -- a successful one is even rarer. One in which the hiker is at ease with himself during the walk and hikes as a time for gaining knowledge, while taking time for contemplation and thought, is rarer still.

Weary

doggiebag
12-17-2007, 00:06
Hm... might solve his resupply problem too. Dinner and transportation all in one! :D
It's a shame he has to put it in the kennel while going through the Smokies. Unless it gets eaten before hand.:eek:

River Runner
12-17-2007, 00:07
Even Chuck Norris?:confused:

Chuck Norris wouldn't hike 2175 (6?) miles, he'd just make Katahdin move closer to Springer. :D

Pedaling Fool
12-17-2007, 00:07
Weary makes a good point, which is no one will believe you if you accomplish your goal; they won't believe you even if you do it over 30, but under Ward Leonard's time.
I'll be finishing up my hike about the time you start, I'll be happy to be a witness, by meeting you at all the road crossing. I don't really believe you can do it, but I like to watch people try and break records, even if it's hazardous to their health.
Just let me know when and where.

Mississippi
12-17-2007, 00:12
Chuck Norris wouldn't hike 2175 (6?) miles, he'd just make Katahdin move closer to Springer. :D
With a roundhouse kick!

River Runner
12-17-2007, 00:19
I have been talking to Dr.s here about my attempt and every one I have spoken to have told me that as long as I keep my mind focused and make sure I have food and nurishment and water it is possible...

Any of those Docs hiked the AT before? :-?

River Runner
12-17-2007, 00:28

Might even help a few folks out. Every year, dozens of hikers decide to abandon some of their food at Hawk Mountain & Gooch Mountain shelters. When he doesn't reach his designated lunch spot of Neal's Gap on day 1, he can spend the next couple of days helping out the ridge runners by eating some of that food so they don't have to pack it out.

:D

doggiebag
12-17-2007, 00:30
I have been talking to Dr.s here about my attempt and every one I have spoken to have told me that as long as I keep my mind focused and make sure I have food and nurishment and water it is possible...

Keeping the mind focused is one thing... Keeping the rest of your body from falling apart is the real issue. But hey ... it's a free country - until the mountain rescue involves a helicopter.

River Runner
12-17-2007, 00:38
Keeping the mind focused is one thing... Keeping the rest of your body from falling apart is the real issue. But hey ... it's a free country - until the mountain rescue involves a helicopter.

And that gives him a chance to help out the economy. With the housing market in bad shape, we need everyone spending all they can to keep things going...

doggiebag
12-17-2007, 00:40
Hey no economics get back on the world record attempt!

4eyedbuzzard
12-17-2007, 00:44
Any of those Docs hiked the AT before? :-?

No, but they stayed at a Holiday Inn Express with a treadmill last night...

River Runner
12-17-2007, 00:50
Hey no economics get back on the world record attempt!

Okay,

Maybe he can make it even faster, if he can persuade the rescue copter to fly by Katahdin before they take him to the trauma center.

Better? :sun

doggiebag
12-17-2007, 00:53
I think he'd have a better chance at a hotdog eating contest. But would mom be as proud? Oh yeah much better.

Sudoku
12-17-2007, 00:53
I only read a few of the 12 pages on this thread so far... but I didn't see anyone mention the Whites and the first third of Maine. Doing 75 miles a day through VA to the first half of PA is easier than doing 40 miles a day through that section. That cuts 2 days off, which bumps you up to 81.2 miles a day...

You know if you're hiking for 16 hours a day at 5 mph all day, a 15 minute shower will cost you 1.2 miles you need to make up somewhere?

I know you'll eat snacks while you jog, but if you stop for 30 minutes a day to eat, 5 min a day to pee, 5 a day to poo, 5 to fill up your water bottles (you know you won't have time to purify water, right?), 15 to pack your pack and get dressed, that bumps you up from 5.07 to 5.41...
are you going to tie your shoes?

To everyone encouraging him and knocking people who discourage him - are you serious? Really? Would you encourage him if it were 25 days? How about 20 days? There are limits to the human body, and I'm not going to tell you where the limit is, but if the previous record was around 45 days, I don't think this guy is 33% better than the current best around. You think Olympic long jumpers are encouraged to jump 39 feet when the current best is 29 and 5th place is like 28?

This is pointless. It is only representative of how bored I currently am that I wrote all this ;)

- Sudoku

OregonHiker
12-17-2007, 00:55

Hey..you said what your goal is...just do it.

Keep us up to date. It sounds outrageous but so was putting a manon the moon. Hell, squeaky is all for ya too.

Good luck

River Runner
12-17-2007, 01:00
I only read a few of the 12 pages on this thread so far... but I didn't see anyone mention the Whites and the first third of Maine. Doing 75 miles a day through VA to the first half of PA is easier than doing 40 miles a day through that section. That cuts 2 days off, which bumps you up to 81.2 miles a day...

You know if you're hiking for 16 hours a day at 5 mph all day, a 15 minute shower will cost you 1.2 miles you need to make up somewhere?

I know you'll eat snacks while you jog, but if you stop for 30 minutes a day to eat, 5 min a day to pee, 5 a day to poo, 5 to fill up your water bottles (you know you won't have time to purify water, right?), 15 to pack your pack and get dressed, that bumps you up from 5.07 to 5.41...
are you going to tie your shoes?

- Sudoku

I'm sure he's planning at least a day for the White's. Probably planning a catheter and a colostomy so he doesn't have to take time for bodily functions. Besides without treating water, it shouldn't take a full 5 minutes to poo. Just don't be hiking behind him. :eek:

doggiebag
12-17-2007, 01:02
I'm sure he's planning at least a day for the White's. Probably planning a catheter and a colostomy so he doesn't have to take time for bodily functions. Besides without treating water, it shouldn't take a full 5 minutes to poo. Just don't be hiking behind him. :eek:
Wow - that's got to be a record low.:eek:

River Runner
12-17-2007, 01:07
Wow - that's got to be a record low.:eek:

Would that be a 'World Record' low? :D

Hey, I was told to get back on topic! ;)

doggiebag
12-17-2007, 01:12
Not a world record yet ... but you're promising. Make sure you add your suggestions for extra time saving gear to his Gear review thread. My face is hurting from this stupid grin. Thanks for the laughs. I'll keep an eye out on his progress. I don't need to be around that guy when I'm going through the Whites in a few months.

TheTank
12-17-2007, 01:23
I am confused is this thread about a world record for a speed hike on the AT, or a world record for getting the most posts in 10 hours?