PDA

View Full Version : Out of date?

bredler
12-16-2007, 15:20
There are some guidebooks at my local library that are considerably out of date (like from 1995). Would these still be valuable as a reference? I plan to purchase a copy of the 2008 Thru-Hiker's Handbook (or whatever it's called I can't remember exactly) and another more detailed one too. For now, could I still use the out-dated copy as a general reference or would it be very poor with regard to accuracy of mileages/existence of shelters etc?

bredler
12-16-2007, 15:21
There is also a copy of the Backpacker Magazine's guide available from 2005.

SGT Rock
12-16-2007, 15:21
I'd reccomend spending $5 on a databook at least.

rafe
12-16-2007, 15:26
Old guides and maps aren't worth bothering with, IMO, except as historical references. Shelters come and go (old ones get torn down, new ones get built.) The trail gets re-routed. Off-trail services come and go all the time.

Peaks
12-16-2007, 17:38
I'd say that the 12 year old guidebooks are OK in general about the trail, but I wouldn't use them to plan a trip. I'd rely on the current data book, and the Companion or Handbook if doing an extended trip.

Pedaling Fool
12-16-2007, 19:09
I'd reccomend spending $5 on a databook at least.
I second that.

sasquatch2014
12-16-2007, 23:34
In the town that I live in one of the books (and If I can recall I will try to post) says that the town has a grocery store for long term resupply. Well the store in town closed a few years back and now the closest one is 2.5 miles south of town. the trail is almost 3 miles north of town so you are looking at a 5 plus mile road walk with half of it on a double laned 55mph road. As much current info as possible will avoid things like this I hope. i need to dig out that book and make sure they get it changed for the next printing.

Tennessee Viking
12-17-2007, 02:23
I would get the most up to date book for all the source and camping information.

I know that my section between US 19W Spivey Gap to Damascus has had a number of major relocations.

River Runner
12-17-2007, 17:29
I think you could read the old guidebooks for general information (history of the place, major roads, etc.) which have probably not changed. But for mileage and shelter details I would get the Thru-Hikers handbook or ATC data book. Personally I prefer the Thru-Hikers handbook.

You could also double check for changes against the On-line companion here:

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Of course, this is from 2007, not 2008.

Jack Tarlin
12-17-2007, 18:30
Half the places hikers that stayed at in 1995 don't exist anymore.

Most of the more popular places that they stya at now have only appeared in the past few years.

It's good that you're planning to invest in a current guidebook. Til you get it, your best resopurce is the 2007 Thru-Hikers Companion available at www.aldha.org.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
12-17-2007, 20:38
There are some guidebooks at my local library that are considerably out of date (like from 1995). Would these still be valuable as a reference? I plan to purchase a copy of the 2008 Thru-Hiker's Handbook (or whatever it's called I can't remember exactly) and another more detailed one too. For now, could I still use the out-dated copy as a general reference or would it be very poor with regard to accuracy of mileages/existence of shelters etc?

I spoke with my sister, who is a librarian. She suggested that you speak with the Head Librarian at your local library and discuss the need to replace the current copies of the books they have on hand. But prepare yourself to discuss the reasons the older guidebooks are out of date -- don't just say that they aren't up-to-date. For example, the replacement of shelters, locations and conditions of water sources and relocations of parts of the AT could possibly have some inherent problems in the older editions. If there are maps on hand, the same issues could be held for their replacement.

notorius tic
12-17-2007, 21:03
there was 1 numerous falts in this years Wing book 1 being a Major misderetion that took me 1.5 miles outside of Blye GAP in search off? But did get to jump a small cub an her mom.. Plus caught up with Stealth an Gator Gump......A bad day in the woods is a better day than most

Bob McCaw
12-18-2007, 09:05
I have Dan Bruce's inventory of old books (only a few, really), and I'm consulting 1998 and 2007 books for the area from Springer to Fontana Dam.

I'd say the 1998 book is usable for planning purposes as far as the actual trail. There is a new shelter between Springer and Fontana, and one old one has been relocated. There have been trail relos, but the cumulative trail mileage is less than a mile off. (There are some sections of trail farther north where this wouldn't be true, and the book might be off five miles or so in those places.)

For town stuff, the 2007 book is pretty badly out of date. Just looking at Franklin, NC, restaurants have gone out of business and new ones have sprung up, the library has moved, the map shows two new laundromats and one motel, and there is current information about the date of the hiker festival. When I was there in October, there were "For Sale" signs on some other places.

Small businesses turn over a lot.

Just my $.02.