PDA

View Full Version : Scale....

88BlueGT
12-16-2007, 15:54
Well, all I can say is WOW. I just picked up a scale the other day at Staples. I took it home to measure some stuff that I was courious about and I was in for a big shock. The lantern I was carrying was heavy and I knew it, but it came in at 2.45 pounds!!!! I'm swapping for a flashlight/lantern this week thats 2.5oz's. Same goes for the 3oz stuff sack and many other things that were exremely heavy that I was carrying. The biggest one was my bag. I put it on the scale (5lb limit) and it maxed it out! Im just happy that Im realizing this stuff so I can start upgrading to smaller/lighter gear.

rafe
12-16-2007, 15:55
Congrats, you're now officially a Gram Weenie. And I mean that in a good way. ;)

88BlueGT
12-16-2007, 16:39
Yea, Im trying to be but Im having a hard time lol. There are just a few things that I'm going to sacrafice on. Stove & mess kit. The rest of it Im going to try and go as light as possible. I'm using a Optimus Nova + stove which is considered pretty heavy to most but I just want to have a reliable stove on my thru hike. And for the mess kit I'm using a GSI 1L pot/lid w/ lexan utensils. I have a 5000ci Jansport ruck right now weighing in at 3lb 14oz's but Im going to upgrade to a ULA Catalyst (I think). Marmott bag, golite clothing, BA SL1 tent for winter and tarptent for summer. Im trying :) How unusual is it to be under 30lb's on a thru-hike? The last trip I went on was a weekend trip, I weighted in at 36lbs (w/ food & water) with lots of heavy gear (2lb lantern, heavy misc equiptment, 5lb sleeping bag, heavy clothes, etc.)

bigboots
12-16-2007, 16:58
By the sounds of it you're doing great and well on your way to a very light pack! Congrats!:jump

Bigboots

SGT Rock
12-16-2007, 17:06
Yea, Im trying to be but Im having a hard time lol. There are just a few things that I'm going to sacrafice on. Stove & mess kit. The rest of it Im going to try and go as light as possible. I'm using a Optimus Nova + stove which is considered pretty heavy to most but I just want to have a reliable stove on my thru hike. And for the mess kit I'm using a GSI 1L pot/lid w/ lexan utensils. I have a 5000ci Jansport ruck right now weighing in at 3lb 14oz's but Im going to upgrade to a ULA Catalyst (I think). Marmott bag, golite clothing, BA SL1 tent for winter and tarptent for summer. Im trying :) How unusual is it to be under 30lb's on a thru-hike? The last trip I went on was a weekend trip, I weighted in at 36lbs (w/ food & water) with lots of heavy gear (2lb lantern, heavy misc equiptment, 5lb sleeping bag, heavy clothes, etc.)
Let me make a suggestion - ignore it if you want. Nothing should be sacred no matter how long you have been toting it or how reliable you think it is. You may find really on that your stove is more than you want, same thing can go for clothing, pots, or anything else. I think you can make it under 30 easy - but be advised, don't skimp on food trying to get light.

Christopher Robin
12-16-2007, 17:08
I think you are carrying to much weight already; sleeping bag should be no more then 3lbs, mine @.3lbs. Total weight inclueding pack 25-30lbs is w/food & water.

88BlueGT
12-16-2007, 17:37
I think you are carrying to much weight already; sleeping bag should be no more then 3lbs, mine @.3lbs. Total weight inclueding pack 25-30lbs is w/food & water.

I was going to try and get my hands on a Marmott Helium.... comming in way under 3lb's.

88BlueGT
12-16-2007, 17:44
Let me make a suggestion - ignore it if you want. Nothing should be sacred no matter how long you have been toting it or how reliable you think it is. You may find really on that your stove is more than you want, same thing can go for clothing, pots, or anything else. I think you can make it under 30 easy - but be advised, don't skimp on food trying to get light.

I NEVER ignore suggestions, even if I dont like them lol. I carry nothing sacred in my bag. I have not bought any of this stuff yet except for the stove. I believe that my GF is buying me the GSI Extreme kit for Christmas but I only plan on using the 1L pot/lid which will set me back about 11oz's. I'm doing a week long trip sometime this summer and Im going to try and have my ruck set up as if I were thru hiking. If I dont like the stove or feel that its too heavy, etc. I will have no problems looking into a different one. Also, instead of using their bottles Im going to try and look for some titanium bottles to try and make up for some of the added oz's from the stove.

I sure hope that I can keep it around 30lb's. And no, I absolutly do not plan on skimping on food/water, etc.

LIhikers
12-17-2007, 12:36
My wife and I wound up with 3 scales. We have a 5 pound postal scale, a 15 pound fish scale and a 50 pound fish scale. With that combination we can weigh anything from small individual items to full packs.

Gray Blazer
12-17-2007, 12:40
Yeah, I know what you mean. A simple fish scale was an eye opener for me. My Everest self-inflatable mattress was 7lbs! No wonder I slept so well on it after lugging it around all day.

88BlueGT
12-17-2007, 14:34
:) Yea that might have something to do with it.

Cuffs
12-17-2007, 15:08
While Im no ultra lighter by any means, having a scale (or 2) does help get the weight down! I first started going to the PO late at night... got tired of that, broke down and got a good postal scale on ebay for cheap. That helped with individual items.

Most recently, I bought the 50# hanging fish scale from WalMart. I find it interesting to see my overall pack weight right before I head out the door!

Ramble~On
12-17-2007, 15:42
:D This is funny.
There was a similar thread on here somewhere and after reading it I picked up a small digital scale that weighs up to ? 10 pounds.
I started weighing everything and writing the weights down...
I am not an ultralighter but using that scale has made me more weight conscious.

JAK
12-17-2007, 16:01
I use these cheap scales that only go up to 16oz. I calibrate them with water. For stuff over a pound I try and weigh myself with and without on the bathroom scales, and with and without another 0.5 pounds of water, but its hit and miss. I have played around with lever type scales also, but almost brought the chandelier down. I should probably get some scales. :)

oops56
12-17-2007, 16:09
I think it be lot easy just put all in the pack weigh it and do it that way then see what needs cut down for less weight or replace

Cuffs
12-17-2007, 16:29
But say you have 3 water bottle options... unless you can tell by hand which is actually lighter, a scale comes in handy. those little ounces add up to big pounds!

hopefulhiker
12-17-2007, 16:43
I would go with an alcohol stove, they are really reliable and only way a few grams... I used a tarptent for the whole hike and it was no problem.. but it is your preference.. Also coming up the first part of thisyear in the south it is going to be drier than normal and you might have to carry more water. This is even more of a reason for going really light.. To make "weight room" for the extra water.. Also I used just two little photon lights for most of the hike,needless to say I did very little night hiking...

Alligator
12-17-2007, 17:06
... Also, instead of using their bottles Im going to try and look for some titanium bottles to try and make up for some of the added oz's from the stove.
...There's a very small weight difference between the usual fuel bottles and the titanium ones and the cost is very high.

88BlueGT
12-17-2007, 19:31
I weighed my MSR bottle and I think it was something in the mid-high 4oz range. I thought that the titanium bottles were like 1.5? Thats a good enough savings for me if I can find a decently priced one somewhere. I was going to look for a 20oz.

shoe
12-18-2007, 15:33
Check out the gear selling forums.
I think Smile was selling a Helium.

88BlueGT
12-19-2007, 14:01
But say you have 3 water bottle options... unless you can tell by hand which is actually lighter, a scale comes in handy. those little ounces add up to big pounds!

Thats a really good example. I was looking at different waterbottles and they can range. The Nalgenes that I plan on getting are 4oz's but I have seen waterbottles in the 6-8oz range before. Like posted, lets say you are carrying 3 (dont know what for what whatever) and they are 7oz's each. You could of saved yourself 9oz's right there! Thats a 1/2lb in water bottles lol Those OZ's add up REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY fast when you start to not pay attention to them anymore.

Does anyone bring scales into supermarkets to weigh food? I was thinking about it but didnt want to look like a fool walking around in shop right with a scale in my cart weighing tune packages on the floor :)

88BlueGT
12-19-2007, 14:02
*EDIT* OVER a 1/2lb in waterbottles :)

rafe
12-19-2007, 14:23
Does anyone bring scales into supermarkets to weigh food?

No, 'cuz in supermarkets most packages are clearly marked with net weight. And food... well, ya gotta have it. (Calories = weight, unfortunately.)

OTOH, when I was buying gear for this year's hike from "brick and mortar" shops, I'd always take my postal scale with me.

V8
12-19-2007, 18:40
All grocery stores have scales in the fruit and vegetable area - just go there and weigh your food from the other aisles.

wrongway_08
12-19-2007, 19:05
All grocery stores have scales in the fruit and vegetable area - just go there and weigh your food from the other aisles.

Yes but these scales are zero'd in by the store, hmmmmmm...... maybe they are set off a little to make up for those who eat grapes as they shop..........

mudhead
12-19-2007, 19:59
Does anyone bring scales into supermarkets to weigh food? I was thinking about it but didnt want to look like a fool walking around in shop right with a scale in my cart weighing tune packages on the floor :)

Go early. Take a pen & paper. Grab stuff and then visit the deli. Ask nice. They won't print a ticket, and you will have to convert to ounces or grams later, but they usually are happy to help if you are quick and efficient.

I have taken stuff in, in old shopping bags, and they will weigh it. Pretty please and thank you.

Gotta buy me a scale.

ScottP
12-19-2007, 20:19
If I get stuck buying food at a grocery store I always weigh it all on the produce section--I ALWAYS overshop otherwise.

oops56
12-19-2007, 20:26
Yep go in the store any store with a tape measure checking cans for size to make some more alcohol stoves etc.:D

ScottP
12-19-2007, 20:29
Yep go in the store any store with a tape measure checking cans for size to make some more alcohol stoves etc.:D

People must look at you like you're crazy when you do that.

rafe
12-19-2007, 20:29
You guys saying you actually weigh your food on a routine town stop? Wow, and I thought I was anal. :rolleyes:

88BlueGT
12-20-2007, 02:54
lol good suggestions guys. I hate not knowing the weight of things. For EX: I went to a local EMS today and was looking at a nice pair of pants but of coarse the tag didnt have the weight on there. I need a nice pocket size scale that I can carry with me at all times lol.

Thirsty_River
12-27-2007, 22:19
What kind of scale do you have? I went to Office Max the other day to get one and all they had were $125+ mail scales. Do you guys use these or someting else?

rafe
12-27-2007, 22:45
What kind of scale do you have? I went to Office Max the other day to get one and all they had were $125+ mail scales. Do you guys use these or someting else?

Costco has nice small digital scales for under $20. Or buy 'em online for cheap, for example here: http://www.toplinedigitalscales.com

SteveJ
12-27-2007, 23:32

I use a Pelouze SP5 - have had it 5 or 6 years. Think I got it at Office Depot for $25 or so. Quick google search:

Amazon.com seems to have the best price - $24

http://www.amazon.com/Pelouze-Straight-Weigh-Postal-SP5/dp/B00006IACE

This guy is selling a used one on ebay - current bid is 9.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pelouze-personal-postal-scale-5lb-0-1oz-accuracy_W0QQitemZ200186793579QQihZ010QQcategoryZ1 09751QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

88BlueGT
12-29-2007, 05:33
I also have the Pelouze SP5... seems like a pretty good scale to me.

I will say this though, ever since I have gotten my scale I have been dissapointed with the companies that I am buying gear & acc from. Almost everything that I bought didnt measure up to what they claimed for weight. Even though it was all mostly small stuff it just made me sort of mad. For ex... I bought Nalgene narrow mouth bottles which were supposed to be 4oz's... they came in at almost 6. Since I have two of them thats an extra 1/4lb in my pack than I planned. There were a few other things but I cant remember right now.

rafe
12-29-2007, 08:27
I will say this though, ever since I have gotten my scale I have been dissapointed with the companies that I am buying gear & acc from. Almost everything that I bought didnt measure up to what they claimed for weight.

That happens a lot. Be aware that Nalgenes come in several styles. The original, soft translucent style (if you can find it) weighs 4 oz. The new, shiny, multicolored Lexan style is closer to 6 oz.

Of course, you can hike without Nalgene bottles altogether... try a water bladder (eg. Platypus or equivalent.) Or just a Gatorade or soft-drink bottle. A fraction of the weight and it's free. :D

88BlueGT
12-29-2007, 15:35
Yea, thats very true. I plannedo on carrying a 2L bladder for drinking and than a 1L nalgene for cooking in. I dont know if thats the plan now though with those beastly 6oz bottles lol