PDA

View Full Version : My Birds

Santa Claus
12-15-2003, 03:15
told me theres another forum called ATForum.Net !!! and that you need to check it out .... you could win a gift certificate worth $125 ....... its your choice.

http://atforum.net

Former Easy
12-15-2003, 05:12
yeah good link but it just ends up to this thrashy site :D

Former Easy
12-15-2003, 05:18
BtW I'll donate the $125 I was going to use for a drawing at ATForum.Net here for the same, as long as its used for a contest and someone walks home $125 richer. :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana and they say 36 our fathers and 53 hail marys

illininagel
12-15-2003, 10:29
yeah good link but it just ends up to this thrashy site :D

Unbelievable. I thought I had read another thread where this same person wanted to make this site (WhiteBlaze.net) more like the AT Forum site.

With friends suggesting improvements like that, who needs enemies?

Rain Man
12-15-2003, 11:01
told me theres another forum called ATForum.Net !!! and that you need to check it out .... you could win a gift certificate worth $125 ....... its your choice.

http://atforum.net

Here's what one finds when one follows "Santa Claus'" link to http://atforum.net/

"I am discontinuing this project, first off because I started it for the wrong reasons, and many know what those are. second I don't want to be tied down to this nor the business venture I was about to become involved with. Yes cash is good but you spend more staying still, this doesn't work for a hyperactive 41 year old (just turned today). I hope to see and meet many of you along the trail, I go by the name Easy or Easyhiker. I wish you all a Merry Christmas, and in a few weeks I will forward this site to Whiteblaze.net Yes Rick piss's me off but i'll bet the fool will hug me hard should I get up his way LOL Take it easy folks, Dave (easyhiker) heres that dumb ass site where a bunch of trash hang WhiteBlaze"

So, if this guy trying (poorly) to be humorous? Or, does he just "have problems"?

:confused:

I suppose there's really no need for an answer as it's self-evident!!!

chris
12-15-2003, 11:49
Hopefully this will mean that Easy will return and start posting again. After all, I'm sure that Blue Jay was getting tired of being the only one to stir things up and I've been getting bored with the amateur trouble makers that have graced this site in the last couple of weeks.

Blue Jay
12-15-2003, 12:34
Hey, I get Lone Wolf to cover for me when I'm out hiking. He does a good job too.

chris
12-15-2003, 12:46
I can't believe I slighted Larry! I offer my sincere apologies to Lone Wolf for this grave oversight on my part and can only offer my hangover as an excuse.

Lone Wolf
12-15-2003, 12:52
Accepted,
Love, Larry. :cool:

attroll
12-15-2003, 14:02
Former Easy

Please if your are going to put a plug in for your sight why not use you real name. I am going to delete the Santa Claus name because you already have 4 names on this site. I don't see a need for another. I don’t have time for playing games like this.

If I am wrong I sure do apologize. But according to WhiteBlaze stats the users are logging in from the same place. So if you can prove that Santa Claus and Former Easy are not the same person I will bring Santa Clause back.

Thank You

illininagel
12-15-2003, 14:13
Accepted,
Love, Larry. :cool:

How touching...I think I feel a tear forming in the corner of my eye.

Blue Jay
12-15-2003, 14:29
Former Easy

I am going to delete the Santa Claus name because you already have 4 names on this site.

You deleted Santa Claus, it's about time someone did. Although I do enjoy the coal he gives me each year.

jlb2012
12-15-2003, 15:45
putting Santa Claus on the banner was a nice touch however

Former Easy
12-16-2003, 17:59
So, if this guy trying (poorly) to be humorous? Or, does he just "have problems"?

:confused:

I suppose there's really no need for an answer as it's self-evident!!!

It was intended to be humorous , but because you are a newcomer you wouldn't understand, unless you've been around awhile and know the history of both sites. Which I won't get into. :D

Also Trash is a term used for AT hikers if you didn't know.

In the future you might want to watch what you cut and paste into forums since you could be infringing copyright laws.

EarlyRiser
12-17-2003, 18:21
ATforum was the original site before whiteblaze. way back like a year ago, aah the memories.

Jack Tarlin
12-17-2003, 18:51
This post might not please everyone, but I think it needs to be said: It's really great that there are all sorts of places on the Internet to get quality information on the A.T. and on thru-hiking, but it's getting to the point where there are simply too many of them.

Just to use my own example, I visit this site daily and contribute fairly often. I also check out the at-l mailing list, and several newsgroups/mailing lists that can be found at the Yahoo.groups address. I also check in with the Forum at Trailjournals, as well as occasional visits to other Forums at Gorp.com, Backpacker.com, as well as periodically checking the ATC, ALDHA, and AMC sites.

Needless to say, this sort of Internet grazing takes up a lot of one's time, and in many cases, one spends time posting to sites and addresses where you're simply not going to reach many people.

It seems to me that if one is going to participate on an Internet Forum whose primary goal is to exchange information and help other folks out, then it makes sense to confine the majority of one's time and contributions to the spots where they'll reach the most folks and do the most good.

From its inception, Whiteblaze has been a valuable resource for folks planning and preparing an A.T. thru-hike. A great deal of time and trouble went into building this site, improving it, and maintaining it. Past and especially present site administration deserve a very great deal of credit and thanks for their efforts.

That being said, I think that starting up new sites, mailing lists, discussion groups, and Forums is counterproductive in that it inevitably means that people are going to have to expend more time and trouble to find, read, and benefit from useful posts and information; in many cases, a lot of this info simply won't reach most folks, as most people have neither the inclination or the time to check out half a dozen sites every time they sit down at the computer. If a contribution to an Internet Forum or discussion is worth writing and posting, then it follows that one should send it where it will presumably help the most folks and benefit the largest possible audience.

Instead of branching out and starting all sorts of new Forums and Bulletin Boards, I think it's more useful to concentrate our contributions to locations that are proven successes, that are well administered and maintained, and that will aid the most number of folks. Unless you want to start a discussion group that has a VERY specific Focus, such as one devoted entirely to a specific issue or hiker group, then I think your energies are misguided; it seems to make more sense to contribute to worthy established sites rather than start new ones. I intend to devote most of my internet A.T. time to this site, because I think it's the best one out there, and because I can reach, and sometimes assist, the most people. I suggest that others might wish to do likewise. This is the best site on the Internet to exchange information on hiking the A.T., and starting up additional Forums and discussion groups would not, in my opinon, be the most constructive thing to do. Information that is too widely dispersed or too difficult to find simply doesn't do anyone much good.