PDA

View Full Version : My Big 4...

Brushfire
12-17-2007, 00:14
Hey everyone...

I'm planning for SOBO 08. Most of my existing equipment is not designed for 3-5 day resupply (more like, 2-3 day overnights in the midwest), I'm going to be replacing the big 4 for the AT. I'm trying to buy early (both for the sales, and so that I can do a bunch of long weekends and/or week longs in Tennessee before I hit the trail in June.

Here's what I have (below), after scouring these forums and others for a while. I've tried to put my justification in there too below the equipment.

Obviously, I'm posting this so all of you can poke holes in my ideas, strategy, etc... One more thing, although a lot of this isnt ideal for summer camping, I'm trying to get quality 3-season stuff and sort of deal with it when I'm too hot.

[ BAG ]

Montbell SS #2, 800 Down, 28 oz, 25F

I think I'm pretty set on the Montbell SS#2, unless you guys see a huge problem with this. I realize its pricey, but some of the sales going on (20% off..) make it not so bad. I sleep on my stomach, so I've opted for tent/bag instead of hammock, and I like the SS#2 becuase of the flexibility in the feet. I'm 5'10, so I think I'm about perfect for this bag.

My second choice to the montbell was the WM Ultralite Super, but given the feet issue, and minimal weight different (2oz), I see the montbell as a better choice.

[ PAD ]

Thermarest Ridgerest (Small), 9oz

I like this becuase its cheap, lightweight, and seems to work pretty well. I havent used these, all of my past pads have been the more traditional inflatable type. I'm 25 and in decent shape, so I'm hoping this wont be an issue.

[ BAG ]

Osprey Atmos 65, 4000, 58oz

I've been struggling with this more than the 2 above. Ideally, the Atmos will be bigger than I need if I pack light, and its not very light either, but I want to have something that I can use for a few years in the future for a variety of conditions.

Ive also been considering the Atmos 50. However, to be quite honest, I'm not 100% sold on any of them. I'm torn between planning for the future, and having the ideal pack just for the AT. All of my past packs have been oriented around camping for fun, not thru's (IE -- they were larger than they *should* have been, so I could carry beer, etc, but I do *Not* (regularly) plan on packing around beer and excess. I'm trying to be pretty minimalistic.

[ TENT ]

MSR Hubba, 52oz

I've looked into the tarptents, but after reading some things about moisture, and lack of flexibility if I need to move for some reason, I'm seemingly more of a fan than a traditional, free standing tents.

My second choice in this category was the Big Agnes SL1, but after reading about less stakes, and side entrance, I'm more of a fan of the Hubba.

My third choice, if one of you can really convince me to go the tarptent route, would be the 32oz Tarptent Rainbow. Is the tarptent as easy, or easier than the Hubba? Please give me some real cut and dry pros/cons and why you think the tarptent would be better, or not.

All in all, the four choices above work out to 147 ounces, or just above 9.1 LBS, which seems too heavy! I'm trying not to catch the ounce/gram fever, but its hard when buying new equipment.

[ OTHER STUFF ]

Other things I've been looking at include a Marmot Precip Jacket, Darn Tough Socks, Some LEKI poles (never used poles before in any serious capacity). Plus, I'm looking at the penny stove, which looks pretty neat, although I question whether I'm capable of actually assembling one that wont explode.

Let me know what you think of the above, please!

Thanks
Brian
aka Brushfire

River Runner
12-17-2007, 01:42
I'm not sure why a 3-5 day resupply would make much of a difference on anything than the pack over a 2-3 day resupply, but here is my two cents worth on your choices.

Most (but not all) thru-hikers wind up either wishing their gear was lighter or replacing their heavier gear with lighter gear. I would personally go as light as possible, but I do that for weekend trips too for the most part.

Sleeping bag - if comfortable with the idea, consider a quilt instead of a bag. Insulation under you is crushed and ineffective. I love sleeping under a quilt & it saves considerable ounces. If you don't want to consider a quilt, remember the WM Ultralight also has a 5 degree better temperature rating than the Montbell as well as the 2 oz savings.

Pad - not sure what you mean by RidgeRest small? If you mean short, you may find you will need a full length pad for the early and late part of the trip. They do insulate well. The downside is they are very bulky & hard to pack.

Osprey Pack - some friends of mine have Osprey packs & love them. I personally would not want one, since I think the way the back is shaped makes it very difficult to pack the pack. I do know my friend who attempted a thru-hike with one had to go with a bigger size than he originally wanted to due to difficulties in getting everything in. There are any number of packs that are good, and they are very much a matter of personal fit and choice in how you want to pack.

Tent - unless you are an exception, most thru-hikers seem to end up staying mainly in shelters on the trail instead of tenting. I'd go for the wait savings of the Rainbow since your shelter probably won't be used a lot anyway. A savings of over a pound is considerable. I'm not sure about the single Rainbow, but the Double Rainbow also has an optional liner that makes it in effect a double wall shelter. I have a Double Rainbow, and setup is very simple, and it has a lot of headroom.

River Runner
12-17-2007, 01:44
Oops. Sorry for the typo. I meant I would go for 'weight' savings instead of 'wait' savings.

Dingus Khan
12-17-2007, 07:05
More space than you *need*, but great for bulkier winter backpacking that i favor, is the Aether 70. It does not have the same contoured frame that the 50L has, fits me perfectly (most importantly) and cinches down well;i've used it with as little as 35liters and it colapses tightly.
You might want consider losing the lid though and removing extras to cut down some ozs.
I've seen plenty of thru's getting by with what appeared to be 35- 40L packs but personally I like the *option* of being able to fit some extra stuff from either my wife or eventually kid when we go out. lol thats a when, not an if.
having a larger pack does require some self-control though, lest the beer find it's way in...

SGT Rock
12-17-2007, 09:29
[ BAG ]

Montbell SS #2, 800 Down, 28 oz, 25F

I think I'm pretty set on the Montbell SS#2, unless you guys see a huge problem with this. I realize its pricey, but some of the sales going on (20% off..) make it not so bad. I sleep on my stomach, so I've opted for tent/bag instead of hammock, and I like the SS#2 becuase of the flexibility in the feet. I'm 5'10, so I think I'm about perfect for this bag.

My second choice to the montbell was the WM Ultralite Super, but given the feet issue, and minimal weight different (2oz), I see the montbell as a better choice.
Either bag should work.

[ PAD ]

Thermarest Ridgerest (Small), 9oz

I like this becuase its cheap, lightweight, and seems to work pretty well. I havent used these, all of my past pads have been the more traditional inflatable type. I'm 25 and in decent shape, so I'm hoping this wont be an issue.
That should work too.

[ BAG ]

Osprey Atmos 65, 4000, 58oz

I've been struggling with this more than the 2 above. Ideally, the Atmos will be bigger than I need if I pack light, and its not very light either, but I want to have something that I can use for a few years in the future for a variety of conditions.

Ive also been considering the Atmos 50. However, to be quite honest, I'm not 100% sold on any of them. I'm torn between planning for the future, and having the ideal pack just for the AT. All of my past packs have been oriented around camping for fun, not thru's (IE -- they were larger than they *should* have been, so I could carry beer, etc, but I do *Not* (regularly) plan on packing around beer and excess. I'm trying to be pretty minimalistic.
Well I would say that your other packs can still serve for this after your thru. I have old packs that I keep around for loaners and trail maintenance I would never dream of carrying for a thru-hike. I love my Gearskin because it is light, but has the ability to handle a monster load for short distances like a day or two when required.

Now, as to your packs. Two ways to look at it - get the smaller pack and discipline yourself to fit everything in it at the start. Given the history of most thru-hikers you will be reducing your load anyway and a smaller pack will end up a better fit. On the other hand you can go the bigger pack and be more comfortable with the extra room you have inn case you need to carry a larger load when the need arises - because even if it is a larger pack than the other, it really isn't a HUGE pack.

[ TENT ]

MSR Hubba, 52oz

I've looked into the tarptents, but after reading some things about moisture, and lack of flexibility if I need to move for some reason, I'm seemingly more of a fan than a traditional, free standing tents.

My second choice in this category was the Big Agnes SL1, but after reading about less stakes, and side entrance, I'm more of a fan of the Hubba.

My third choice, if one of you can really convince me to go the tarptent route, would be the 32oz Tarptent Rainbow. Is the tarptent as easy, or easier than the Hubba? Please give me some real cut and dry pros/cons and why you think the tarptent would be better, or not.I'd go with the tarp tent myself after seeing them. That is the best advice I can squeeze out. It has plenty of room and is almost half the weight and packed size of your main choice for shelter. If you go with the smaller shelter you can have extra room in the pack for food and you will most likely end up using trail shelters more than your tent so why not carry the lightest tent in your pack.

All in all, the four choices above work out to 147 ounces, or just above 9.1 LBS, which seems too heavy! I'm trying not to catch the ounce/gram fever, but its hard when buying new equipment.
Go ahead and get gram feaver now before you spend the money. Once you are on the trail it would be more expensive if you decide you now want to change tents from the one you just bought a month ago. I've seen people get to places like Neels Gap and Hot Springs and suddenly money is no issue to save a pound or even a few onces.

[ OTHER STUFF ]

Other things I've been looking at include a Marmot Precip Jacket, Darn Tough Socks, Some LEKI poles (never used poles before in any serious capacity). Plus, I'm looking at the penny stove, which looks pretty neat, although I question whether I'm capable of actually assembling one that wont explode.

Don't build a complicated stove for your first one. A low pressure stove like the kitten stove would be easier and no flare up worries.

Bootstrap
12-17-2007, 09:47
Whatever you pick, make sure you lie down on the pad before choosing it, set up a tent and get inside if you can, bring some stuff to the store and stuff it in the backpack and walk around with it.

I *love* the way the Atmos carries weight. Unlike most backpacks, it's actually worth reading their instructions on how to pack it, it makes a difference.

I've been playing with tarps for the last month, and am impressed by the flexibility, low weight, and roominess they give you. And they are a lot cheaper than a good lightweight tent....

Jonathan

Brushfire
12-17-2007, 19:32
Thanks for all the comments.

I think I'm going to stick with what I have, except the tent.

I'm definitely going to go try on the pack and lay down on the pad before I buy either.

I've been convinced on the tent side, so I think Im going to go ahead and order a Tarptent Rainbow. As you guys pointed out, shelters should be enough, and I have another larger tent I can use for more camping-like situations off the AT.

Thanks again,
Brian

OhioNative
12-17-2007, 21:07
I just bought a Montbell UL SS Down Hugger #3 on Campsaver .com for 20% off. The sale is going on until the 21st. I can't freakin' wait!!!! - even though I can't use it until spring!!! My wife thinks I'm crazy! No I can focus on obsessing on a new tent to replace my Eureka Spitfire (which is perfectly good, mind you).

Brushfire
12-17-2007, 21:15
Yeah, actually I just ordered one of the last #2's that campsaver has in stock too! Killer sale, free shipping, w00.

I think you and I are in the same mode.

B

Dirty Harry
12-17-2007, 21:17
go with the atmos 35, you can fit that set up in that pack, and if you dont believe me, go to the local osprey dealer with your stuff and pack it up, the 65 will be way to big.

bigcranky
12-17-2007, 22:14
Brian,

You'll like the Rainbow -- Tarptents are good products. You'll probably find yourself sleeping in it more than on a hard, crowded shelter floor. You can usually set up near a shelter if you want company or a convenient place to cook dinner. (Or you can stop at a shelter for a meal and then move on for another couple of miles.)

I have tried a lot of sleeping pads. The Ridgerest is a nice pad, good insulation, and at 25 you'll probably sleep okay on it, but I don't find it comfortable in a shelter. In your tent it'll be better. It's not that expensive, you can always buy a light inflating pad on the trail if you change your mind.

The sleeping bag is great.

Packs. 65 liters is large, but not too large for a thru. If there is any way that you can carry your gear down to the local outfitter and put it inside the pack for a tryout, that's the ideal way to get a pack. (But you need *everything* -- food, water, clothing, gear, and all the little stuff that takes up more room and weight than you think.) If you can buy a pack from a place that will let you return it, so much the better. Then you can take it home, pack up all your gear, and walk around the neighborhood for a few days.

My personal pack choice is the Six Moon Designs Starlite. It's a sub-two-pound pack with a real suspension system, and can easily carry 30-35 pounds. The capacity is large enough for all my (almost-UL) winter gear, but compresses reasonably well for warm weather. It's not a fancy pack, but it's well made and the design is well thought out. It's probably not as durable as my wife's Osprey pack, but it's half the weight (and mine has been going strong for three years now). The pad pocket is great, and the outside mesh pockets are useful for organization.

(Note that with the Starlite you'll need to modify your pad a little to fit the pad pocket. Many people use a Z-rest, or a Thermarest, but you can cut your Ridgerest 3/4-length into sections and duct-tape them back together to fit the pocket. Seriously, this works fine.)

I will second Rock's motion -- start being a gram weenie now. A few ounces isn't much, but if you are carrying a few extra ounces in every piece of gear and clothing, it starts to add up to pounds. It's definitely cheaper to start with lighter gear now.

BTW a 28 oz bag, a 30 oz pack, 32 oz tarptent, and a 9 oz pad adds up to 6 pounds 3 oz, which is quite a savings.

Good luck, and test everything.