PDA

View Full Version : camping all the way?

mozzie
12-17-2007, 11:26
is there record of anyone doing the whole trail without the comfort of taking a day off in the form of,hostel,home ,hotel, own bed.camping all the way.pack,sack,or shack,and hammock.6 months without the comfort of a bed.

MOWGLI
12-17-2007, 11:43
is there record of anyone doing the whole trail without the comfort of taking a day off in the form of,hostel,home ,hotel, own bed.camping all the way.pack,sack,or shack,and hammock.6 months without the comfort of a bed.

I met a 67 year old hiker named Woodchip in 2000. She hailed from New Hampshire (where we met) and had taken one zero day, and I believe she camped every night. She was in the White Mountains 4 months into her hike. I was impressed!

max patch
12-17-2007, 11:45
Wow, someone else from little ole Homestead.

I'm sure SOMEBODY has done what you've asked about, but I don't know why you would WANT to.

I enjoyed my 1 day off a week. You can't believe how good that weekly shower feels.

DavidNH
12-17-2007, 11:46
I met a 67 year old hiker named Woodchip in 2000. She hailed from New Hampshire (where we met) and had taken one zero day, and I believe she camped every night. She was in the White Mountains 4 months into her hike. I was impressed!

Holy cow! my hats off to this woman. I would never have made it without the occassional rest day with comparative luxury. A chance to dry out, rest weary feat, and eat eat eat.

I would never want to hike 2000 miles with only one rest day, but thats me.

david

rafe
12-17-2007, 11:57
I would never want to hike 2000 miles with only one rest day, but thats me.

I did 587 miles this year with no zero days. My lowest-mileage day was around 8 miles. (Do I get a prize?) I did not forego comfortable rest stops, however. But no more than one night at each one.

Cuffs
12-17-2007, 11:57
Hmmm, but what about taking a day off, but not taking it in the inn, hotel, hostel, b&B, instead, staying on the trail.

You could possibly still have zero days, without staying in town.

Tinker
12-17-2007, 12:00
Mozzie, if I hiked the entire Trail in one season, ideally, that's the way that I would do it. Realistically, though, having hiked the AT through New England (excepting the 100 mi. and Baxter SP), I don't think I would or could. Making friends means wanting to be with them where they are (including days off in town). The only way I could see doing it is to camp on a town resident's lawn while you enjoy a day off with your friends pigging out and doing laundry.
The temptation would probably be too much. You'd miss a big part of what the modern thruhike experience is by avoiding creature comforts altogether.
I, personally, haven't met a single hiker who's done what you asked about, so, if for the purpose of being the first, continue to do your homework, and go for it. Just don't be a martyr for the sake of notoriety.

rafe
12-17-2007, 12:05
Hmmm, but what about taking a day off, but not taking it in the inn, hotel, hostel, b&B, instead, staying on the trail.

For me, the point of my town stops was to get my body and my clothes cleaned up, to resupply, eat some "real" food, and occasionally pick up a mail drop. R & R was a welcome side effect, but not the main reason for town stops.

Lone Wolf
12-17-2007, 12:15

probably a handful out of the thousands of thru-hikers. but what's the point?

Appalachian Tater
12-17-2007, 12:17
For me, the point of my town stops was to get my body and my clothes cleaned up, to resupply, eat some "real" food, and occasionally pick up a mail drop. R & R was a welcome side effect, but not the main reason for town stops.

I agree 100%. At least half the time I was in a hotel or hostel I slept on the floor because it was more comfortable than the bed, anyway.

kayak karl
12-17-2007, 13:07
probably a handful out of the thousands of thru-hikers. but what's the point?

Sick of the sounds of the city! i rather take a day off on the trail, lay in hammock and read a good book. hit the town, wash clothes, shower and git out. to each his own.

Lone Wolf
12-17-2007, 13:10
Sick of the sounds of the city! i rather take a day off on the trail, lay in hammock and read a good book. hit the town, wash clothes, shower and git out. to each his own.

we'll see when you get to Neel's gap after hiking 3 days in cold rain. that hostel will look REAL good.:)

Cuffs
12-17-2007, 13:11
we'll see when you get to Neel's gap after hiking 3 days in cold rain. that hostel will look REAL good.:)

WOW! You can predict the weather that KKarl is going to have on his hike. Thats amazing!

kayak karl
12-17-2007, 13:13

you might be right! w'll see:)

Lone Wolf
12-17-2007, 13:15
WOW! You can predict the weather that KKarl is going to have on his hike. Thats amazing!

yeah. i'm a friggin trail god

kayak karl
12-17-2007, 13:20
yeah. i'm a friggin trail god

Maybe just a RAIN God. :D

dessertrat
12-17-2007, 13:57
I think the guy who hiked it on $1500 camped the whole way.

Blissful
12-17-2007, 15:31

Amen, brother. :)

Actually I'm sure GA people woud love three days of rain.

Blissful
12-17-2007, 15:33
Even one day of cold all day rain is enough to get you inside if the opportunity avails. You should have seen everyone at Shaws the day it rained. The place was jammed. Glad we got in early. And that nice hot dinner sure tasted good.

clured
12-17-2007, 15:46
I always thought about this when I was on the trail. Before I left, I was like "I'm never going to get a hotel room or any of that nonsense, I'm out to hike!" Of course, for me at least, that ended as soon as I got to Franklin and called up my grandparents and had a night of relaxation and a trip to the Dillard House (anyone from around there knows what I'm talking about; imagine the Home Place in Catawba, but bigger).

I think it could be really neat to camp the whole way, but I think you would probably have to carry a more substantial shelter than what I was using; tarps are great because they are light, but if anyone tells you that they stay truly dry in really bad weather, they're probably lying.

JAK
12-17-2007, 15:54
I wouldn't plan on staying in any motels, hotels, inns, B&Bs, hostels, or brothels.
I would however plan, and bank, on not sticking to my plans. ;)

jrwiesz
12-18-2007, 03:03
A native indian, perhaps. No record as we know it, maybe hieroglyphics.
Just a possibility.

River Runner
12-18-2007, 03:33
Even as a section hiker out for a week or so at a time, it's nice to spend at least one night at a hostel or hotel part way through the section, just to shower, kick back, and recharge for the rest of the trip. (A nice hot non-dried meal is nice too!)

rafe
12-18-2007, 09:24
Even as a section hiker out for a week or so at a time, it's nice to spend at least one night at a hostel or hotel part way through the section, just to shower, kick back, and recharge for the rest of the trip. (A nice hot non-dried meal is nice too!)

Absolutely. I'm good for about four nights in the woods before the grunge (and the trail food) get to be too much. I think I did six or seven nights going from Katahdin to Monson, but that's the only exception I can remember.

smaaax
12-19-2007, 14:23
Mozzie, if I hiked the entire Trail in one season, ideally, that's the way that I would do it. Realistically, though, having hiked the AT through New England (excepting the 100 mi. and Baxter SP), I don't think I would or could. Making friends means wanting to be with them where they are (including days off in town). The only way I could see doing it is to camp on a town resident's lawn while you enjoy a day off with your friends pigging out and doing laundry.
The temptation would probably be too much. You'd miss a big part of what the modern thruhike experience is by avoiding creature comforts altogether.
I, personally, haven't met a single hiker who's done what you asked about, so, if for the purpose of being the first, continue to do your homework, and go for it. Just don't be a martyr for the sake of notoriety.

What's wrong with avoiding the "modern throughhike experience"? Seems like quite a few people in the "what would you do differently?" article said they would avoid towns and shelters more.

jersey joe
12-20-2007, 13:47
I did my thru hike without any zero days but stayed in a hotel or house every now and then. I think it would have been relatively easy to do though and i'm sure it's been done by a very small amount of thru hikers.