PDA

View Full Version : Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso

headchange4u
12-17-2007, 12:50
I was reently looking through Sarbar's Freezer Bag Cooking Blog (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/myblog.htm?blogentryid=2588809) when I saw an entry for Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/myblog.htm?blogentryid=2588809). Now I am not a fan of instant coffee at all but Sabar's comment got me intrigued:

Unlike instant coffee this is good and strong.

I like espresso a lot and it would be nice to have a cup every once in a while on the trail.

Has anyone ever seen this for sale in stores?

Appalachian Tater
12-17-2007, 13:40
Instant coffee is strong if you use enough of it. With powdered milk and sugar, it's not half bad.

While hiking I don't want to be bothered with heating water or cooking in the morning, I want to get moving, and eating within the first two hours of waking is primarily just to settle my stomach.

A cup of tea is nice in the evening; decaf coffee would work as well, but I prefer coffee in the morning, and tea before bedtime.

take-a-knee
12-17-2007, 14:01
Instant coffee is strong if you use enough of it. With powdered milk and sugar, it's not half bad.

While hiking I don't want to be bothered with heating water or cooking in the morning, I want to get moving, and eating within the first two hours of waking is primarily just to settle my stomach.

A cup of tea is nice in the evening; decaf coffee would work as well, but I prefer coffee in the morning, and tea before bedtime.

My daughter is really cold-natured, we've started eating Mountain House Granola so we don't have to cook, then packing up and walking until we get warm on a cold morning. Stopping to brew up is a lot more pleasant then. I've been using that mexican coffee made my Nabisco, Cafe Con Leche (coffee with milk). Walmart carries it in the ethnic food section.

Appalachian Tater
12-17-2007, 14:08
My daughter is really cold-natured, we've started eating Mountain House Granola so we don't have to cook, then packing up and walking until we get warm on a cold morning. Stopping to brew up is a lot more pleasant then. I've been using that mexican coffee made my Nabisco, Cafe Con Leche (coffee with milk). Walmart carries it in the ethnic food section.

Which is strong instant coffee with milk and sugar. What makes cafe con leche good is cooking the milk. Use a stovetop "espresso" maker with any brand of cheap dark roasted coffee marketed to the Latino community and heat evaporated milk just to the boiling point while stirring constantly and then add natural cane sugar (the brown stuff) and bingo.

budforester
12-17-2007, 14:12
I was reently looking through Sarbar's Freezer Bag Cooking Blog (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/myblog.htm?blogentryid=2588809) when I saw an entry for Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/myblog.htm?blogentryid=2588809).Has anyone ever seen this for sale in stores?

I followed up, too; still looking for it.

bigcranky
12-17-2007, 14:50
We have some in the pantry that's a couple of years old -- bought it for a cookie recipe. Need to try it one of these days.

This past weekend I took some little tubes of instant coffee, which I would not ordinarily drink (ick), but for breakfast I mixed up a double hot cocoa mix, and added both shots of instant coffee. Mmmm, mocha. Needed more (or stronger) coffee, but I can adjust next time. Great way to start the day. Yes, I added the marshmallow packets. <g>

sarbar
12-17-2007, 15:58
The stuff is good...and from me that says a lot. I was a barista for nearly 8 years so I can say I know coffee :) It isn't a duplicate of real espresso or coffee...but in recipes it is hands down the winner compared to the nasty instant coffee made by the Big "F" ;)

It is one of those items that isn't in a ton of grocery stores (and it should be!). Look up high or low in the coffee aisle and you might see it!

headchange4u
12-17-2007, 16:22
I check WalMart. I will look in other stores as I go. If anyone finds it, please let us know where you got it.

Fiddleback
12-17-2007, 19:55
I like the stuff. Mix it with Carnation Instant Breakfast and gimme a Logan bar and I'm good to go...:D

I've seen it in WalMart and, for those of you in WA, OR, ID and MT, Rosauers Supermarkets stock it.

FB

Jack Tarlin
12-17-2007, 19:59
Similar stuff that reallly does taste pretty good:

www.javajuiceextract.com