PDA

View Full Version : Meat In Pouches

envirodiver
12-17-2007, 17:03
Is anyone else having trouble finding the meat varities that were offered for a while. It seems that now I can find tuna, chicken breasts, cubed chicken and crab.

But, I can no longer find the pouches of ham, shrimp, clams and other things that were available.

Creek Dancer
12-17-2007, 17:04
I've seen them at Kroger.

Lone Wolf
12-17-2007, 17:04
The super Walmarts around here carry all sorts of meat in pouches

Ewker
12-17-2007, 17:11
I have noticed the foil packs of shrimp, clams and Spam have disappeared from the shelves.

Cuffs
12-17-2007, 17:21
still have Spam in AL, never noticed shrimp or clams..

kayak karl
12-17-2007, 17:48
all i could find was tuna, chicken and spam at a Super Fresh in SJ

envirodiver
12-17-2007, 18:02
I'll try a Super Walmart (after Christmas), but Kroger and Publix doesn't have the variety they used too.

sarbar
12-17-2007, 18:05
For some weird reason Spam in a pouch is showing up out here in the West two years after the East saw it. Weird.
We have many types of fish steaks, fillets, chicken breasts in pouches, clams, crab, etc.

Appalachian Tater
12-17-2007, 19:27
Availability varies a lot. Some stores have clams and shrimp but not chicken. I have not been able to find chicken in a pouch at any of the seven or eight grocery stores near me, including a relatively large one, Food Emporium. Next time I go to the airport I will check at the PathMark.

weary
12-17-2007, 21:01
The super Walmarts around here carry all sorts of meat in pouches
Walmart shoppers tend to not be the brightest on the block. But those who seek the most food value per dollar don't buy meat in pouches. I see poor people with food stamps buying such things quite often. It gives me a hint as to why they may be poor. Plastic pouches tend to be four times more expensive than the equivalent in cans.

I maintain that even weight conscious hikers on a budget -- you know folks who really need to think how they spend their dollars. The realistic difference in weight between cans and pouches is not that great. And the way most hikers treat the two is even less environmentally sound. Plastic pounches tend to be left in fire places where eventually they will be burned and pollute the air.

Responsible hikers will carry out cans. Even irresponsible hikers who toss steel cans in the bushes are more responsible than those who dispose of plastic pouches in fire places.

Iron will deteriorate rapidly and release no harmful ingredients, ending up mostly as scattered bits of harmless iron ore. Pouches take decades to deteriorate, for those that last that long. Most end up being burned and in the process release a variety of toxic chemicals.

Weary

Lone Wolf
12-17-2007, 21:04
Walmart shoppers tend to not being the brightest on the block. But those who seek the most food value per dollar don't buy meat in pouches.

go ****** yourself

MOWGLI
12-17-2007, 21:14
I bet Ted Nugent doesn't buy meat in pouches at Wal Mart.

rickb
12-17-2007, 21:15
Hmm.

Six letters not four.

Nothing wrong with cans if you can't find a pouch, though. They don't weigh much at all. They just look uncool to some.

Lone Wolf
12-17-2007, 21:18
Hmm.

Six letters not four.

Nothing wrong with cans if you can't find a pouch, though. They don't weigh much at all. They just look uncool to some.

thank the moderators for the 6 asterisks. i used the F word. i used to bury tuna cans in the woods

rickb
12-17-2007, 21:21
why? too ****ing lazy to carry them out. I thought you always did the right ****ing thing you *******.

rickb
12-17-2007, 21:23
Test complete. Wolf didn't use the real F word. He really is a sweety pie.

Appalachian Tater
12-17-2007, 21:24
The realistic difference in weight between cans and pouches is not that great.

The weight difference is not so much in the container, but in the contents. The foil packs contain MUCH less water. There is a significant difference in the ratio of the weight of the protein to the total weight. Read the labels.

Also, consider that many cans of meat and fish are plastic-lined.

Appalachian Tater
12-17-2007, 21:27
This thread was about potted meat, not potty mouth.

4eyedbuzzard
12-17-2007, 21:30
Saw some salmon and crab in pouches at Walgreens today. Some sort of ham too.

EMAN
12-17-2007, 21:32
A well spoken to L.Wolf.
To weary:
Some...of...us...that...are "not the brightest on the block" types, if...we...have..to...buy...meat...in...packages... actually....take...the...food...out...of...the...p ouches...
and....freeze...dry...it..and...put...it...in...zi ploc...bags....with...the...rest...
of...our...meal...and...carry...that...out....with ....us....
(spoken slowly to give the rest of you "not the brightest on the block" folks time to catch up).
Normally I wouldn't get involved in such controversy, and I'm certain to be pillaged thusly, if it involves the actual use of words in sentences. I would get my crayons out and draw pretty pictures.

Cuffs
12-17-2007, 21:34
I still love ya Erich! Slow or not!

MOWGLI
12-17-2007, 21:36
To weary:
Some...of...us...that...are "not the brightest on the block" types, if...we...have..to...buy...meat...in...packages... actually....take...the...food...out...of...the...p ouches...
and....freeze...dry...it..and...put...it...in...zi ploc...bags....with...the...rest...
of...our...meal...and...carry...that...out....with ....us....
(spoken slowly to give the rest of you "not the brightest on the block" folks time to catch up).
Normally I wouldn't get involved in such controversy, and I'm certain to be pillaged thusly, if it involves the actual use of words in sentences. I would get my crayons out and draw pretty pictures.

EMAN

A serious question. If you are going to go to all that trouble, why wouldn't you buy higher quality meat?

Appalachian Tater
12-17-2007, 21:39
How do you freeze-dry food at home?

EMAN
12-17-2007, 21:42
You know, I don't really buy that much in packages anyway, I was just bored. Sorry.
I do buy in cans and I do freeze dry, I'm sorry, dehydrate that. I buy the cans to make say, chicken and/or tuna salad here anyway. I have a stockpile of the stuff.

turtle fast
12-17-2007, 21:57
Carring canned meats is a little extra weight...but the hiker that does so realizes this. You always are not going to get the perfect selection of foods at little general stores...so you get what you can. Canned meats are usually eaten earlier on the hike anyway so its not like you will have that much added weight. If you coincidentally have a campfire that night, burn your can clean and crush it flat....easier to pack out and burns out the odor/residue and removes the label.

sarbar
12-17-2007, 23:39
Weary,

The pouches that the meat comes in are metal with usually a plastic lining.

Canned meat is an intresting one. The cans weigh the same as the foil packaging on pouches - they are making the cans lighter and lighter every year. And with how many have poptops it has become very convienent to use.

I use the 3 and 5 ounce cans of chicken often, I get the brands that only have water, salt and chicken inside. I just pour the liquid in my meal. Tastes fine :)

Sure you can dry canned meats, and by all means do it! But if it is a shorter trip, just carry the can or pouch.

envirodiver
12-18-2007, 12:26
I assume that most of the small cans of various meats are pre-cooked. I have dehydrated meat that is cooked in recipes, such as when I make too much chili or vegetable beef soup, but have not dehydrated meat out of a can.

Does this work well? Specifically regarding spoilage. I guess that vacuum sealing aftger dehydrating would help eliminate spoilage for a while.

Anyone have a feel for the shelf life of dehydrated meat?

sarbar
12-18-2007, 14:56
When you dry meat store it in the freezer till trail time. Try to cycle through it every 6 months as well. On trail it is fine for a couple weeks, just watch it in hot weather. You can smell rancid meat though!!

A side bonus of using canned meat and drying it? All the salt does help preserve it even more!

Christopher Robin
12-18-2007, 20:26
I just got a book from Amazon.com called (making & using Dried Foods) It is great, it covers all types of foods; vegs, meats, fruits, herbs, grains, & gives camp trail reapes. If you don't own a dehydator it has a plan for you to make your own.