PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Hardwear Stiletto = Seedhouse Sl1 Killer?

Spastic
12-17-2007, 17:16
I've been eyeing the BA Seedhouse Sl1 for awhile, but now I'm kind of excited about the new Mountain Hardwear Stiletto tent. It seems like a good design and solves the problem with the Seedhouse sl1 where rain would fall into the tent when the vestibule was open. Normally I would prefer a freestanding tent, but since the Seedhouse Sl1 takes 13 stakes, I figure that is just as "freestanding" as the stiletto, meaning neither will stand up well unless staked. Weight is competitive, only thing i don't like is the price. Thoughts? :-?

http://www.rei.com/product/763324

Mocs123
12-17-2007, 17:42
I have the SL1 and although it is a good tent and I am happy with it, I will agree that it has its downpoints (rain drips in the door, small door, small vestibule, and 10 stakes required for a decent pitch), but it looks like the stiletto might have problems of its own.

It looks like this would be a very small tent inside. It still has a small vestibule (although the vestibule/door configuration might be better). It also has less headroom than the SL1.

Both tents seem to have their advantages and disadvantages. If a local REI has both it might be worth the trouble to set up both side by side and check them out. I am glad to see some competition with the SL1 though, it might make the next round of tents better.

My dream tent (at least I think I would be)is the Big Sky Evolution 1P here:
http://www.bigskyinternational.com/SummitShelters/SummitEvolution1Pdetails.htm

Note: Do NOT order from this site as many people have waited over a year for thier tent. Some people finally get it but only after a LONG wait. Their products look nice though.

Franco
12-18-2007, 04:42
The only picture that I have seen so far that really shows the geometry of the Stiletto is here
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/5045/v/1
Looking at that you can see that the vestibule is a lot bibber than the extra foot compared to the BA would suggest.
I also imagine that it will feel a lot more spacious than the Seedhouse, particularly if stuck inside on a rainy day. But of course I haven't seen either..
I have re-named the Stiletto "the Akto Lite"
Franco

OhioNative
12-25-2007, 22:44
According to the REI website, the tent is 26" in width, which would be comparable to the Hubba, meaning too narrow for my 230 lb self!

Franco
12-25-2007, 23:46
The Stiletto has a slightly smaller footprint than the Hubba, not great news for the Iroquois.
Somehow I missed to take notice of the price, $325 !!!!, for that I would spend another $40 and get the Hilleberg Akto , never mind the extra few ounces.
The bad news is ,( and I just had it confimed from China), that prices for tent manufacturing will go up in 2008, so some of the new releases already reflect that.

The Hubba has a more protected entrance and a useable vestibule...
Or if you like the idea of a huge vestibule, the SD Iota is heavier, but freestanding and $114 at Campsaver.com
Franco

The Mechanical Man
12-26-2007, 00:12
I own a SL1, and can tell you it CAN be set up without stakes, and is freestanding, but you need to stake it out if you want the full width.

The stakes don't hold up the tent.

Almost There
12-26-2007, 01:46
According to the REI website, the tent is 26" in width, which would be comparable to the Hubba, meaning too narrow for my 230 lb self!

Too narrow!!! Wow, then I guess I have been using a tent that is too small for me for the past two years as I am 6ft, 250.:D The Hubba works just fine for me, but I would agree there is not much room in the tent, other than for me and some gear I pull out of my pack each night. That being said the head room more than makes up for it, and it has held up brilliantly in both snowstorms and thunderstorms.

Thinking about getting carbon fiber poles to lighten it up a little.

Franco
12-26-2007, 06:29
I'm about 67" (sort of ) tall, so if I were 250lbs light it would be too narrow for me too....
I have seen several comments about how narrow the Hubba is, but I think that most simply mean that they like some space around themselves, not that they cannot fit in. In this respect, a side vestibule should help with the perception of having extra room.
The BA is indeed freestanding but if you don't stake it out you end up with a single skin tent. Don't get me wrong, all freestanding tents should be pegged down anyway (IMHO and that of a few others) but the BA does require quite a lot of them. But if I liked the design, that would not put me off.
Franco

OhioNative
12-26-2007, 15:31
Yeah, I can fit in the Hubba with no problem, but I don't find it comfortable with the way I sleep. It's the same reason I bought a Super Stretch sleeping bag, so that I could stretch my elbows out.

Almost There
12-26-2007, 18:01
Totally understand, I used to use a halfdome and liked the fact I could pull everything into the tent. I am thinking when I have the extra money I may get myself a hubba hubba or a seedhouse 2 and carry the extra weight for comfort. If a 5ft7in 140lb gal can carry 35lbs then I should be able to carry a little more and still be more comfortable with the weight.

Franco
12-26-2007, 19:55
http://www.campsaver.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=sid0026&eq=&Tp=

Tinker
12-27-2007, 00:11
The Stiletto has a slightly smaller footprint than the Hubba, not great news for the Iroquois.
Somehow I missed to take notice of the price, $325 !!!!, for that I would spend another $40 and get the Hilleberg Akto , never mind the extra few ounces.
The bad news is ,( and I just had it confimed from China), that prices for tent manufacturing will go up in 2008, so some of the new releases already reflect that.

The Hubba has a more protected entrance and a useable vestibule...
Or if you like the idea of a huge vestibule, the SD Iota is heavier, but freestanding and $114 at Campsaver.com
Franco

Don't get the Akto if you plan on using it in hot weather. One little window at the peak doesn't do much for flow-through ventilation. (Or you could get two or more tents, hammocks, and tarps like I have and use whatever goes with the weather best). ;)