PDA

View Full Version : New WB Section

Matt Pincham
12-15-2003, 09:57
Hey AT guys,

How about a section somewhere on the website which lists terminologies and their full meanings? I for one have no idea what IMHO is :confused:

It'd help newbie hikers like myself, and also those who just don't know what all these abbreviated words are all about.

Lone Wolf
12-15-2003, 10:00
In My Humble Opinion

Matt Pincham
12-15-2003, 10:11
Thankyou L.Wolf.

It's not just that though. Especially with me (A Brit) I don't know what slackpacking is, what a mac and cheese is, what a switchback is etc.

A little Glossary of similar would be real useful

Lone Wolf
12-15-2003, 10:18
Back in the day, slackpacking meant carrying a full pack but hiking low and slow miles. My first trail name was The Yankee Slackpacker. Nowadays it means walking with no pack, road to road then usually going back to hostel for the night. I never do it. You miss out on some great camping ops.

Macaroni and cheese. A simple trail meal. Boil water, toss in mac till done, add cheese powder stuff then eat.

A switchback is a trail that meanders up a mountain in a fairly gentle grade instead of staight up. Usually done to keep erosion down. Maine doesn't have switchbacks cuz the ground is rocky and rooty.

jlb2012
12-15-2003, 10:49
Matt - a lot of terms are listed on SGT Rock's site in the Lexicon forum: http://hikinghq.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=46

RagingHampster
12-15-2003, 11:31
A switchbacked trail is one that traverses the side of a mountain at a low angle, and then reverses direction traversing the otherway. In this fashion, the trail is less steep although much longer. In simple terms, it's a zig-zag in a trail/road that makes climbing a steep mountain easier.

Instead of going up like this...

|
|
|
|

You go up like this...

\
/
\
/
\

From what I've experienced and have been told, very few mountains on the east coast have switchbacked trails.

Rain Man
12-15-2003, 11:32
Hey AT guys,

How about a section somewhere on the website which lists terminologies and their full meanings? I for one have no idea what IMHO is :confused:

It'd help newbie hikers like myself, and also those who just don't know what all these abbreviated words are all about.

There are tons of sites that have lists of cyberspace acronym definitions. Here's one I just found quickly with a Google search:

http://iroi.seu.edu.cn/books/ee_dic/whatis/chatterm.htm

Below are all the "I's" from that site, for example (most of which I've never heard of!):
(keep in mind that these generic lists don't include things like "HYOH" (Hike Your Own Hike) relating solely to backpacking)

IAC In any case
IANAL I am not a lawyer (but)
IC I see
IHA I hate acronyms
IIRC If I recall/remember/recollect correctly
ILU or ILY I love you
IM Immediate message
IMHO In my humble opinion
IMing Chatting with someone online usually while doing other things such as playing trivia or other interactive game
IMNSHO In my not so humble opinion
IMO In my opinion
IOW In other words
IPN I'm posting naked
IRL In real life (that is, when not chatting)
IYSWIM If you see what I mean

Crash
12-16-2003, 09:07
Hey AT guys,

Like the thread on Stealth Camping, things mean different things to other people. A lot of people outside dont know what a 'thruhiker' really is.
HYOH = hike your own hike

Goodday