PDA

View Full Version : My 2008 NOBO gear list!

Powder River
12-17-2007, 22:44
Hello,

Getting to the point where the winter cannot pass fast enough!! Just went on a shopping spree last couple of weeks, and am nearly ready. Please check out my list and tell me what you think! I am planning to start April 1.

The entire list is in ounces, until the totals at the very bottom. I plan on carrying a smartphone for its journaling capability. This will also give me that added benifit of keeping the thru-hiker's companion on a pdf as well. I possibly may get a 45 degree summer bag, (1 lb) depending on the budget. I also have a few items I haven't decided on or haven't weighed yet. Thanks for checking it out, and I'll see you out there!

Appalachian Trail 2008 Thru-hike Gear List

Items Worn and Carried

Hiking Poles: Leki Cor-tec Super Makalu AS 21.2
Shirt ?
Shorts ?
Underwear ?
Socks ?
Shoes: New Balance 850 30 oz
Gaiters: REI Mistral Gaiters 3.05
Sunglasses: Smith District II 0.7
Cap Washington Nationals Hat 3.4
Total 58.35

Other Clothing

Base Layer: Patagonia Wool 2 Crew 6
Insulation: Patagonia Capilene 3 Zip 8.35
Windshirt: Marmot Original Driclime Windshirt 10
Shell: Golite Phantom Paclite 13.6
Insulation Pants: REI Lightweight Long Underwear 6.75
Rain Pants: Golite Reed Pant 6
Gloves: Manzella Power Stretch 1.55
Hat: ?
Extra Socks: ?
Total 52.25

Sleeping & Shelter

Shelter: Tarptent Contrail 24.5
Stakes:
Sleeping Bag: Western Mountaineering UL Super 26
Sleeping Pad: Thermarest Ridgerest Small 9
Total 59.5

Packing

Pack: Osprey Atmos 50 49
Pack Cover: Osprey UL Raincover 4
Total 53

Cooking and Hydration

Stove: MSR Pocket Rocket 3.9
Pot: Evernew Ti 1.3L 6
Fuel: MSR Iso Pro 8
Water Bottle: Platy Bottle 1L x2 1.6
Water Carrier: Platypus Water Tank 4L 2.6
Water Purifier: MSR Miniworks 16.75
Matches: ?
Lighter: ?
Mug: ?
Total 38.85

Other Essentials

Camera: Canon G9 11.4
Camera Batteries: Canon NB-2LH (x2) 3.01
Battery Charger: Canon CB-2LW 2.6
Camera Case: Lowepro Apex 30 AW 3.25
Memory Cards: Sandisk Ultra II 2 GB SD (x5) 0.25
Mini Tripod: Ultrapod I 1.75
Headlamp: Petzl e+lite 1.6
Knife: Gerber Mini Paraframe 1.25
Tool: Leatherman Squirt S4 1.85
Book: Any 10
Smart Phone: Cingular 2125 3.9
Keyboard: iGo ultra-slim bluetooth keyboard 5.6
USB Charger: Cingular charger 3.35
Writing Kit: Pens, envelopes, stamps, journal paper 2
Compass: Brunton Eclipse 1.6
Maps: Various 3.3
AT Databook: 2008 Databook 3.85
Can Opener: Tiny metal can opener 0.15
First Aid: Duct tape, Ibuprofin, blister kit, antibacterial 5
Hygiene: Tooth Brush, Paste, TP, Dr. Bronner's 2
Camp Shoes: Crocs Cayman 11.55
Total 79.26

Weight Summaries
Total Weight of Worn or Carried Items (in lbs) 3.65
Total Weight of Pack and Contents (in lbs) 17.68

SGT Rock
12-17-2007, 22:51
Dang, that looks pretty good. I assume the small stuff with the "?" is something you haven't figured out yet. I think you about have the gear thing licked. Good luck

Appalachian Tater
12-17-2007, 23:18
That's a well-thought out gearlist.
Minor thoughts:
For a mug, if you need one, just get a cheapy light plastic mug like the one on a thermos.
Consider $1.00 beach flip flops instead of those heavy crocs.
Baby butt wipes come in handy, and don't forget finger/toenail clippers and ear plugs.
Get a quality lighter (Bic mini) and a lexan spoon.
The nail-like stakes that come with the TarpTent are fairly light and easy to work with--paint them orange if you have some orange spraypaint. Put some silicone stripes on the floor of your shelter and on both sides of your sleeping pad if it slides against the floor or bag.
You'll also need some stuff sacks, preferably a waterproof one like the OR Hydrolite for your sleeping bag and food bag, and some ziploc-type freezer bags. Line for bear bagging.
Also consider some sort of hydration tube that will allow you to drink without stopping.
Do you need a windshirt with a rainjacket that will do the same thing? I know people love their DriClimes but consider doing without it.
Also take two spare pairs of socks.
Consider a contractor (heavy-duty) garbage bag or compactor bag for a pack liner, you really want your stuff to stay dry. (The weight is worth it, wet stuff is heavy!)

You will do minor fine-tuning as you go along, but you won't need to do much.

Good luck and have fun!

River Runner
12-19-2007, 00:53
Looks pretty good. I'd reconsider the Dri-Clime windshirt though. Your shell can serve as wind protection as well as rain protection, and I think the 10 oz would better be spent on a light insulated jacket or a little more insulation for your legs. In fact, with the Wool 2 base layer and an insulated jacket you could eliminate the Capilene 3 zip-T, and add an insulated pair of pants for about the same weight. It can still be very cold in April in the mountains. We were hiking near Erwin last year in mid-April and had snow!

The Leatherman Squirt has a knife blade, so the Gerber knife seems unneeded.

If you plan to use a bounce box you could consider putting the chargers in it and not carrying them on the trail - especially the one for the camera as they don't usually need charged all that often. Same with the memory cards - use one in the camera, carry a spare, and keep the others in the bounce box or have some shipped to you at resupply points. A 2 gig card will hold a lot of pictures, and after a while one beautiful vista begins to look like another :) , so I can't think you would need more than 2 at any given time.

Johnny Thunder
12-19-2007, 10:33
You might be a bit chilly in those first weeks....go hang out in your back yard wearing all of your clothes this weekend. See if that does it for you. I know that I'd be a bit chilly in the 20's and 30's with that list. Carrying an extra pound or two until after the Smokey's isn't going to kill you.

Seeker
12-19-2007, 11:12
just a couple nitpicks/thoughts:

knife, can opener, and multi-tool? why all three? should be some sort of swiss army knife that has all of it... not sure one really needs pliars.

matches/lighter-go with 2 mini-bics. even out of fluid, you can make sparks. once you're out of matches, you're out.

mug-if you need a mug, i like the clear colored lexan one, about 2 cup capacity, at 3.5 oz. it's not insulated though. if you just need a cup (vice a "mug"), campmor sells a 1 cup capacity one for about $1. it weighs .6 oz.

water treatment-you seem to have already made up your mind, but i prefer aqua-mira drops. the weigh difference (16+oz vs 3oz) is significant, and i don't mind floaties in my water. some people say there's an aftertaste as well. hyoh, but just thought i'd mention it on the long odds that you didn't know it was available.

stakes-i've used gutter nails and cheapie aluminum ones from campmor. both weigh about 1/2 oz each. i like the campmor stakes... found that the gutter nail head didn't hold as well as the hook on the stake, and the stake was smoother weaving through the guyout line when i had to jerry rig something. just a personal preference. titanium ones might be lighter, but they're too thin for the soil i normally camp in. were i gearing up for the AT, i'd probably carry 3 different kinds of stakes (fat, thin, and twisted) for use in varied ground.

crocs-flip flops are an alternative. i've also seen some really light homemade ones (from an insole). some sort of ballet slipper/moccasin could work too.

writing kit-i prefer pencil over pen (doesn't run when wet, can write on anything). if you're writing primarily to one person, consider just getting pre-paid postcards from the USPS. then just stick their address labels on them. no stamps, no envelopes. just fill out and drop in the mail. postage is cheaper for a postcard too.

other-ear plugs? bear bag line? stuff sacks? ziplocs?

hopefulhiker
12-19-2007, 16:46
I liked the Marmot windshirt.. Also I would go with a couple of lighters instead of matches. I used a little swiss army knife and a Wendy's plastic knife on my hike.. no leatherman... You might consider a Pee bottle if you are leaving soon... Definetly take extra socks and a fleece hat. The list looks really good to me....

mountain squid
12-19-2007, 17:31
Some observations:

bandana/buff
eating utensil
hand sanitizer
needle for draining blisters (maybe your blister kit has one?)
consider leaving the books at home until you are used to hiking all day/every day
sunscreen
concur with River Runner to bounce all of those chargers, etc
if you have a Companion .pdf, no need for the data book
whistle (that Osprey might have one on the sternum strap)
keep the camera handy - you might not want to remove your bp just to take a photo
radio/mp3 player
keep the Crocs - much more comfy than flip flops (unless you are already used to wearing them)

And, of course, don't forget ID/atm/credit cards.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Powder River
01-03-2008, 00:47
Looks pretty good. I'd reconsider the Dri-Clime windshirt though. Your shell can serve as wind protection as well as rain protection, and I think the 10 oz would better be spent on a light insulated jacket or a little more insulation for your legs. In fact, with the Wool 2 base layer and an insulated jacket you could eliminate the Capilene 3 zip-T, and add an insulated pair of pants for about the same weight. It can still be very cold in April in the mountains. We were hiking near Erwin last year in mid-April and had snow!

The Leatherman Squirt has a knife blade, so the Gerber knife seems unneeded.

If you plan to use a bounce box you could consider putting the chargers in it and not carrying them on the trail - especially the one for the camera as they don't usually need charged all that often. Same with the memory cards - use one in the camera, carry a spare, and keep the others in the bounce box or have some shipped to you at resupply points. A 2 gig card will hold a lot of pictures, and after a while one beautiful vista begins to look like another :) , so I can't think you would need more than 2 at any given time.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice. I'm finally getting back to replying. Just to explain a couple items on my list:

I'm actually pretty excited about the windshirt. I swapped it in instead of a 7 oz montbell insulated jacket, because of its versatility. It seems that when it turns summer, I could drop either it or the windshirt or the capilene 3, however I think to start its worth carrying all 3.

Do you think I have enough warmth for the legs? I thought long underwear plus rain pants was more than plenty. In fact, I was considering dropping the long underwear.

I'll probably ditch one of the knives a little later, but again I want to try both of them out and see which one gets used. I'm more partial to the bigger serrated blade than I am the leatherman. However, the leatherman has scissors, not pliers so I figure they would be useful.

The chargers are needed, unfortunately. My camera has proprietary batteries so I will probably need to take advantage of every wall socket I find. I will be blogging from my smartphone, so I'll need to take that charger too. I don't think the bounce box would be convenient enough. That being said, they are both small and I think worth the weight.

I actually have a total of seven 2gb memory cards for my camera. This is because my camera records files so big (RAW+jpeg) that only about 100 fit on a 2gb card. I am even thinking of getting a few more cards.

Thanks for all the help from everyone on the list. I am picking up 3 pairs of socks, stuff sacks, shorts and shirt, bear line and a spork. I think I will also add a summer sleeping bag.

River Runner
01-03-2008, 02:13
Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice. I'm finally getting back to replying. Just to explain a couple items on my list:

I'm actually pretty excited about the windshirt. I swapped it in instead of a 7 oz montbell insulated jacket, because of its versatility. It seems that when it turns summer, I could drop either it or the windshirt or the capilene 3, however I think to start its worth carrying all 3.

Do you think I have enough warmth for the legs? I thought long underwear plus rain pants was more than plenty. In fact, I was considering dropping the long underwear.

I would want more warmth for my legs at that time of year than just a pair of lightweight long underwear and rain pants. If temps drop below 20, especially if it's windy, that's definitely not enough for me. The reason I suggested insulated pants as a possibility is that some of them such as the Cocoons available at Backpackinglight.com, Montbell U.L. Down Inner or Thermawrap (synthetic) pants, or the Patagonia Micropuff pants actually weigh less than some mid-weight long underwear. They are really nice to wear in camp when it's chilly, especially when cooking or packing up in the mornings.

I haven't seen or used a Driclime, but is it as warm as an insulated layer? It doesn't seem like it would be. Again, if cold and windy, your upper body layers don't seem like they would provide enough warmth for camp activities.

Of course, the best way to know is to actually wear the clothes you plan to take on some cold weather shake down hikes. I'd just make sure to take along some extra insulating layers just in case; or spend an evening outdoors (including sleeping) and prepare & eat breakfast the next morning in your backyard when the temps drop into the teens and it's nice and breezy this winter. Then you should have a good idea of how your system will work.

River Runner
01-03-2008, 02:26
Just one more thought -

You could consider an insulated vest if you are against taking an insulated jacket. It at least provides core warmth at a relatively minimal weight.

Powder River
01-04-2008, 01:56
I would want more warmth for my legs at that time of year than just a pair of lightweight long underwear and rain pants. If temps drop below 20, especially if it's windy, that's definitely not enough for me. The reason I suggested insulated pants as a possibility is that some of them such as the Cocoons available at Backpackinglight.com, Montbell U.L. Down Inner or Thermawrap (synthetic) pants, or the Patagonia Micropuff pants actually weigh less than some mid-weight long underwear. They are really nice to wear in camp when it's chilly, especially when cooking or packing up in the mornings.

I haven't seen or used a Driclime, but is it as warm as an insulated layer? It doesn't seem like it would be. Again, if cold and windy, your upper body layers don't seem like they would provide enough warmth for camp activities.

Of course, the best way to know is to actually wear the clothes you plan to take on some cold weather shake down hikes. I'd just make sure to take along some extra insulating layers just in case; or spend an evening outdoors (including sleeping) and prepare & eat breakfast the next morning in your backyard when the temps drop into the teens and it's nice and breezy this winter. Then you should have a good idea of how your system will work.

River Runner,

I went for a shakedown hike today and you were right. I was wearing my wool 2, my capilene 3 and my windshirt and it was just right for lots of movement. It was somewhere just below freezing, say 30 degrees and windy on the summit. It got a little chilly when I stopped moving. This would only leave my shell and a tee shirt as available warm clothes in a camp situation as the temperature starts to drop. (I didn't camp, just a 3 hour hike).

I think I'll get a montbell U.L. down jacket to fix this. My pack weight has started to creep upwards, it is now up to 19 lbs and climbing...:confused:

clured
01-04-2008, 02:24
You can cut:

Camp Shoes: No need; if you're regular shoes are so uncomfortable that you can't wear them around camp, then your feet are going to be a bloody pulp from the other 12 hours of the day)

Dr. Bronner's: Started with it, never used it. Get hand sanitizer.

First Aid: All you need it the duct tape, and just a little.

Can Opener: Are you going to carry cans? They will be very, very heavy.

Maps and Compass: No need; the trail is well blazed.

Smart Phone/Keyboard/Charger: Why muck the woods up with technology?

Book: No time to read.

Tool: All you need is a knife, and a little one at that. Like, tiny.

Tripod: Why?

Camera/Camera Stuff: I know this is important to a lot of people, but keep in mind that there is a case to be made for little or no documentation; taking pictures can become self-defeating if the content of your experience becomes the act of taking pictures, and not just looking/experiencing. I feel like some people take so many pictures that when they look at them later all they think is "Oh, yea, I remember looking at that through the LCD on my camera!" I took no camera and kept no journal, and that can be the way to go for some.

Mug/Matches: No need.

Water Purifier: Go with AquaMira.

Pack: Save weight with a GoLite or Gossamer Gear.

Sunglasses: The trees do this for you. It is unnatural, too; why change the beautiful colors of the world?

Just suggestions. Have a great hike!

River Runner
01-04-2008, 04:35
River Runner,

I went for a shakedown hike today and you were right. I was wearing my wool 2, my capilene 3 and my windshirt and it was just right for lots of movement. It was somewhere just below freezing, say 30 degrees and windy on the summit. It got a little chilly when I stopped moving. This would only leave my shell and a tee shirt as available warm clothes in a camp situation as the temperature starts to drop. (I didn't camp, just a 3 hour hike).

I think I'll get a montbell U.L. down jacket to fix this. My pack weight has started to creep upwards, it is now up to 19 lbs and climbing...:confused:

Good thing to find out now rather than later. :sun

A few things you could consider cutting if you do want to drop a little more weight:

I'm not familiar with your phone, but you might see if e-books are available. You probably won't want to spend a lot of time reading, and the battery should hold out if you just use it a short time each evening. That would save you the book weight since you are taking the phone anyway.

It seems like most thrus end up mailing their filters home (a friend of mine did at Neel's Gap). You might consider chemical treatment to start with.

At least the good thing about the extra clothing weight is that you can get rid of it as the weather warms up further north. :sun

cyclendo
01-21-2008, 13:09
You can cut:

Camp Shoes: No need; if you're regular shoes are so uncomfortable that you can't wear them around camp, then your feet are going to be a bloody pulp from the other 12 hours of the day)

Maps and Compass: No need; the trail is well blazed.

I'd disagree with these two...
having your feet out in the open after a hike is a necessity for most, and seriously what feels better than pulling your feet out of sweaty/wet hiking boots after a long day in them. At the very least you need to air your feet out to dry them and prevent sores, etc...

Also, map and compass shouldn't be negotiable. Always, always carry these tools. You never know what can happen and having a compass is often your ticket out of a sketchy situation.

Also a further suggestion: a Cap. 3 top doesn't do much for you in terms of insulation. I'd recommend trading it in for a little heavier piece that can serve as both a base layer and midlayer (like similar patagonia pieces the R .5 or R 1 flash.) Check em out...

Cheers

clured
01-21-2008, 16:52
having your feet out in the open after a hike is a necessity for most, and seriously what feels better than pulling your feet out of sweaty/wet hiking boots after a long day in them. At the very least you need to air your feet out to dry them and prevent sores, etc...

That's what all night is for; the insulation of the bag will pull all the moisture out of your feet better than anything else, I think. I never had any problems last summer.

Campshoes would definately be comfortable, and you're right, more than once I wished that I had them. But they are certainly not really necessary for anything beyond simple luxury (not that there's anything wrong with that). If weight is a factor, they would be quick to go, though.

quasarr
01-22-2008, 17:17
Stove: MSR Pocket Rocket 3.9
Pot: Evernew Ti 1.3L 6
Fuel: MSR Iso Pro 8

This may seem a bit weight weeny, but you can save some ounces by switching to an alcohol stove. My setup, including KMart grease pot w/ lid, Pepsi can stove, pot stand, and wind screen weighs only 4.1 oz. And 8oz of alcohol will allow you 2 boils a day for 4 days.

For me, the real benefit of an alcohol stove is simplicity. No moving parts! It is very easy to find fuel, you can bring exactly as much as you want and can tell exactly how much you have left. Even if you find that you prefer the MSR, alcohol stoves are so inexpensive and simple to make, you can hardly go wrong by just trying it out. Pepsi can and Supercat are two good ones.

Also I don't see a windscreen listed, do you not have one or forgot to include it? If you don't have one, it can easily be made out of heavy duty aluminum foil. Windscreens weigh very little and will improve your boil time tremendously!

happy hiking!! :)

wrongway_08
01-22-2008, 17:33
On the lighter, bring one bic and one of those wind proof style ones. In the cold you hands will be hurting try'n to flic the bic. Easier to get a refillable windproof lighter for the cold days and have the bic as a back up.

mrburns
01-22-2008, 19:41
I like what you did with your gear list... listing brands/models and weight... I did the same thing for mine in Excel, I attached a PDF Export if you're interested in comparing... It will always be a work in progress, but it's pretty close to what I'll start out with...

I'm gonna try for a 2008 thru hike, around 1-March, not sure of exact date. Take my opinions in light of the fact that I haven't put my list to the 2174 mile test yet either ;-)

I didn't list stuff I plan to wear most of the time... other than a basic outfit, I'll have sunglasses and a wide brim hat... I'll have water resistant boots until after GSMNP... trail runners after that. There's also a couple dog items not listed that will add some weight when I buy them.

In reviewing your list, here's my thoughts:

Underwear -- Buy shorts or pants with sow ins.
Gaiters -- If you're starting 1-April, I doubt you'll want 'em.
Pack Cover -- I'm going to use a tall kitchen garbage bag, weighs less than an ounce.
Mug -- I use a 0.5 L Nalgene, maintains heat well enough and double use for extra water as needed.