PDA

View Full Version : Md AT

queary82
12-18-2007, 01:42
I was thinking about heading up to do a couple days of hiking on the MD portion of the AT maybe starting this Wednesday. Anyone know how the weather has been up there the last few days and what the forcast is looking like the rest of the week?

sasquatch2014
12-18-2007, 14:15
Not sure about of late but we were up there from PenMar down to I-70 back 10 days ago. In some areas there was as much as 6 in of snow but mostly between 3 - 4 so unless it has all melted it can still be pretty slick in the rocky areas so use caution.

dctax4u
12-18-2007, 16:52
Is it possible to snowshoe the Marlyand portion? I just bought snowshoes for Blackwater Falls but heck it would be closer to go to Marlyand.

doggiebag
12-18-2007, 16:56
Is it possible to snowshoe the Marlyand portion? I just bought snowshoes for Blackwater Falls but heck it would be closer to go to Marlyand.
I'd say ... yes to that. The Maryland section is mostly flat. The most rocks which would probably force you to take the snow shoes off would be near PenMar. But it's gonna have to snow quite a bit to justify the snowshoes. The trails are wide enough ... IMHO. Anybody want to sell a pair of crampons? Nothing too high tech - just something to keep me from sliding on icy rock slabs.

juma
12-18-2007, 20:10
supposed to rain/snow this weekend, probability 40 percent. that could drift further into the future though. I'm probably gonna go further north in pa no matter what the weather. I was up by duncannon last weekend and it was 25 degrees and sunny but icy up high but otherwise great weather. I hope it snows a little.

juma

wrongway_08
12-18-2007, 21:42
We got ripped off, no snow. The trails shouldnt be too bad out that way, might be some icy spots but nothing too bad.
Have a good hike.