PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hiking Kit

CoyoteWhips
12-18-2007, 09:59
I enjoy reading essential gear lists and personal equipment. We all have personal favorites and gear we've ascended the learning curve on. My usual thought is that you go out on a few short hikes and see if you have everything you need and toss the stuff you don't need.

But today I'm wondering, if you walked into REI and saw a big box labeled, "Thru-Hiking Kit", what would you expect to find in it?

This'd be off-the-shelf equipment with economics in mind, assembled for somebody who wanted to hit the AT tomorrow, including shoes, clothes, shelter, pack, bag and pad, water treatment, a week of food, first aid and other essentials. Maybe a manual, too.

Maybe this is more of an retorical question, but you might have some gear in mind that you'd especially expect would work well for a beginner?

dessertrat
12-18-2007, 10:15
It would be almost all REI brand stuff, which is actually not that bad, since it's mostly made for REI by reputable manufacturers.

I would expect some REI clothing (shell, midlayers, inner, gloves, hat, etc), REI pack in the 4000 ci size range, REI tent, a thirty degree mummy bag, a cartridge stove of some sort, some cookware, first aid kit, nalgene bottles, and other small items such as stuff sacks, rope, etc. A bunch of mountain house or backpackers pantry food, and a pump style water filter. Also, a sign on the box that says "Boots or Shoes fitted separately. One size does not fit all".

rafe
12-18-2007, 10:15
But today I'm wondering, if you walked into REI and saw a big box labeled, "Thru-Hiking Kit", what would you expect to find in it?

That's a ridiculous hypothetical. REI cares nothing for thru-hikers. I suspect less than 1% of their revenues come from serious hikers (let alone thru-hikers.)

That's not to say that REI doesn't carry some nice stuff, but in general it's not best-in-class, nor lightest. It's likely to be the most colorful, glitziest, "big-name" stuff, however. And I'm not just picking on REI. EMS has pretty much gone down that same path.

bigcranky
12-18-2007, 10:27

You are essentially asking, "What gear does a thru-hiker need to complete the A.T."

This is a question that has no single, easy answer. Every hiker has slightly or grossly different gear, ranging from true minimalist (Grandma Gatewood) to super high tech and everything in between.

Every individual hiker knows what should be in that box, but none of them will agree on the contents. You'll get a huge number of responses that essentially boil down to, "Here's what I used, you should take this."

Your original insight is the best one -- get some gear, go out and hike, and change as needed.

If you really want my answer, here it is:

Instant Thru-Hiker:

1. ATC Databook
2. Credit Card

wrongway_08
12-18-2007, 10:29
1) Shoes - med cut, light weight.
2) clothes - 2 shirts, 3 pairs of socks, long john set, rain pants/jacket, gloves, hat, convertible pants, long sleeved shirt.
3) Shelter - 1 person free standing tent
4) Pack - 4,000ci at the most for a newbie.
5) bag, 20 degree - foam pad
6) water treatment - Hiker pro
7) food - depends, I'd slap 3 large pizzas in the pack and call it a day.
8) First aid - 5 band aids, baby wipes, Advil.
9) Other - small knife, matches, head lamp - led, fire starter crap, tooth paste/brush, nail trimmers, soap, toilet paper.
10) stove, pot - fuel tablet style to keep cost down for new hiker.

A lot of the stuff would have to be fitted (shoes....) and it would be hard to make it light weight through REI. As mentioned ealier, its hard to tell someone what will work for them, what makes them feel comfy out in the middle of no where. What works great for me, might make your trip a total living hell.

CoyoteWhips
12-18-2007, 10:32
That's a ridiculous hypothetical. REI cares nothing for thru-hikers. I suspect less than 1% of their revenues come from serious hikers (let alone thru-hikers.)

I disagree. I think KMart cares nothing about hikers. However, I think REI and EMS cares more than warranted by the 1% revenue.

CoyoteWhips
12-18-2007, 10:39
1) Shoes - med cut, light weight.

That's a good kit. You also got me thinking how I'd make pizza on the trail.

dessertrat
Do you think the displays in the stores are mostly for display? I wonder how much volume in hiking gear EMS does versus volume in clothing.

4eyedbuzzard
I enjoy reading essential gear lists and personal equipment. We all have personal favorites and gear we've ascended the learning curve on. My usual thought is that you go out on a few short hikes and see if you have everything you need and toss the stuff you don't need.

This'd be off-the-shelf equipment with economics in mind, assembled for somebody who wanted to hit the AT tomorrow, including shoes, clothes, shelter, pack, bag and pad, water treatment, a week of food, first aid and other essentials. Maybe a manual, too.

Maybe this is more of an retorical question, but you might have some gear in mind that you'd especially expect would work well for a beginner?

From REI or EMS etc.? Probably focused on convenience and new tech - expensive and easy to use type stuff like a Jetboil, WM bag, silnylon tarp tent, Goretex shell, silk undies, high end UL pack, MH meals, etc. You could easily drop 2 G's+ on the latest and greatest.

Hooch
12-18-2007, 10:40
If I were going to go outfit for a thru at one single place, you'd be a lot more likely to find me at a smaller outiffers close to or on the Trail, somewhere like Bluff Mountain Outfitters or Mount Fogers Outfitters. The folks who run and work at places such as this know the needs of thru-hikers because they see them so often. Not knocking REI, which I do like, it's like being a kid in a candy shop everytime I'm there. But as for me, I'd rather stick with a local outfitter if at all possible. There just aren't enough of them anymore, I'd hate to se them go to the wayside. :(

4eyedbuzzard
12-18-2007, 10:47
Small outfitters are going the way of small mom and pop golf stores. They can't compete with large volume brick and mortar and internet merchadisers.

doggiebag
12-18-2007, 10:50
I disagree. I think KMart cares nothing about hikers. However, I think REI and EMS cares more than warranted by the 1% revenue.
That's what I love about REI ... since thru/long-distance hikers probably account for less than 1% of their sales they still back up their 100% satisfaction guarantee. This year alone I swapped out one pack for myself, one for the dog, a thermarest, 2 pairs of boots and a tripod ... which they replaced with no heartburn whatsoever. A thru-hiking kit - is an interesting concept for someone who may impulsively decide to hike the trail on a whim :eek: . Nothing wrong with impulsively going out for a couple of days or a week or two ... but to market such a kit as a "thru-hiking kit"? Maybe it should be labled a SCOLA kit (Self contained Outdoor Living Apparatus) ;)

Hooch
12-18-2007, 10:53
Small outfitters are going the way of small mom and pop golf stores. They can't compete with large volume brick and mortar and internet merchadisers.And that's why I don't play golf. :p Seriously, you're right and it's a shame. The local folks at my outfitter here in Lexington know me by name and talk to me everytime I come in, even if it's just for a little thing or 2. There's something to be said for personable service versus a generic "Can I help you with anything today?" Even when I'm in Charlotte, I'd rather do business at local outfitters like Great Outdoor Provision Company or Jesse Brown's than going to REI. Again, not knocking REI, because I make some purchases there, but I think it's best to support our local folks first if at all possible.

Hooch
12-18-2007, 10:56
Maybe it should be labled a SCOLA kit (Self contained Outdoor Living Apparatus) ;)I like that Doggiebag, you might just be on to something. I think I'll start calling my fully loaded pack that.

doggiebag
12-18-2007, 11:07
I like that Doggiebag, you might just be on to something. I think I'll start calling my fully loaded pack that.
If it got sold to the clueless ... we can reffer to it as a SCOSA - self-contined outdoor suicide apparatus :eek: .

Hooch
12-18-2007, 11:11
If it got sold to the clueless ... we can reffer to it as a SCOSA - self-contined outdoor suicide apparatus :eek: .For the semi-clueless........the SCOTA Self Contained Outdoor Torture Apparatus. :eek:

wrongway_08
12-18-2007, 11:19
If it got sold to the clueless ... we can reffer to it as a SCOSA - self-contined outdoor suicide apparatus :eek: .

Thats some funny poo!

The REI down by us (towson store) sell some good clothing and gear. They also have 2 thru-hikers working there. The latest one did hers 2 years ago. A lot of the people that work at this one have a good amount of outdoor knowledge and are helpfull.
I have only ran into one kid at the store who shouldve been working at Target instead - he had no ideas as to what hikers need or how to "think outside the box" to make things work.

But they do sell a lot of Yuppie equipment - looks pretty, cost a lot but serves no purpose other then "look what I was dumb enough to spend 180.00 on - ohhhh and it has this cool symbol on the shirt - you are impressed by it, yes?" clothing.

Hooch
12-18-2007, 11:25
The REI down by us (towson store) sell some good clothing and gear. They also have 2 thru-hikers working there.There is a guy who works in packs/bags/pads mostly at the REI in Charlotte that's thru-hiked twice. If I remember correctly, he's shooting for another this year.

doggiebag
12-18-2007, 11:28
But they do sell a lot of Yuppie equipment - looks pretty, cost a lot but serves no purpose other then "look what I was dumb enough to spend 180.00 on - ohhhh and it has this cool symbol on the shirt - you are impressed by it, yes?" clothing.

They do have some good poo ... though wearing a cool logo would be nice and fashionable ... it's the raw material under the packaging that is what counts. Nothing wrong with high end gear ... I just can't sit as close to a campfire with expensive outerwear. I'm warmer closer to the fire with a thrift-store fleece which is dotted with ember burns than expensive outerwear which prevents me from getting close to the fire :) ya know?

jesse
12-18-2007, 12:24
The person who would buy a thru hike kit, would be the person who has no gear, or backpacking experience. The failure rate would be high, I would think.

Footslogger
12-18-2007, 12:35
[quote=_terrapin_;476469]That's a ridiculous hypothetical. REI cares nothing for thru-hikers. I suspect less than 1% of their revenues come from serious hikers (let alone thru-hikers.)
========================================

The "Store" itself might not care about "thru-hikers" as a group but I can tell you from personal experience (5 years @ REI - prior life) that there is generally a handful of employees with some/alot of long distance hiking experience. The key thing is to seek out those people and obtain advice/recommendations from them.

But yeah ...don't walk into an REI store and expect to see a "Welcome Thru-Hikers" sign.

'Slogger

dessertrat
12-18-2007, 12:38
The person who would buy a thru hike kit, would be the person who has no gear, or backpacking experience. The failure rate would be high, I would think.

What? Once you have all the gear, it should be easy! Gear is everything!

(This reminds me of learning to play the guitar-- beginners often blame the instrument. While it is true that an instrument should be of at least acceptable quality to facilitate learning, after that, it matters very little. Eric Clapton with a cheap Chinese guitar will still sound like Eric Clapton. If I pick up Eric Clapton's guitar, I will still sound like me).

CoyoteWhips
12-18-2007, 13:43
What? Once you have all the gear, it should be easy! Gear is everything!
(This reminds me of learning to play the guitar...).

I gots pro gear, pro chops and my own van! Whoooo!

Is selling hiking kits as bad as, say, selling hang-gliders or SCUBA gear? Should people be certified to own Basic Light Outdoor Trek Equipment (BLOTE)?

I can see it working out for people who used to hike with heavy gear, gave it up for a couple decades and wanted to get back on the trail. Old Eagle Scouts. Somebody is teaching a class and makes a BLOTE part of the recommended equipment. Christmas gift for a beloved long-time dirtbagger -- who would immediately throw out half the cooking kit.

doggiebag
12-18-2007, 13:47
I gots pro gear, pro chops and my own van! Whoooo!

Is selling hiking kits as bad as, say, selling hang-gliders or SCUBA gear? Should people be certified to own Basic Light Outdoor Trek Equipment (BLOTE)?

I can see it working out for people who used to hike with heavy gear, gave it up for a couple decades and wanted to get back on the trail. Old Eagle Scouts. Somebody is teaching a class and makes a BLOTE part of the recommended equipment. Christmas gift for a beloved long-time dirtbagger -- who would immediately throw out half the cooking kit.
Or SLOTH - Special Light Outdoor Treking Hardware.

CoyoteWhips
12-18-2007, 14:07
Or SLOTH - Special Light Outdoor Treking Hardware.

Good'n!

I'm not a retail expert, but the only way I can see a mom&pop gear shop working with limited stock and floor space is if they're selling SLOTH and BLOTE with as much optional variation as they have room for.

There shouldn't be a wall of bookbags on a back-to-school special.

For the inexperience newbie, it'd be a similar but friendlier experience as that march through the uniform and equipment bay at the start of basic training.

Wouldn't hurt to be in the low-rent area of the city -- overhead will kill you in a nich business.

Blissful
12-18-2007, 14:33
The people we have talked to at EMS in several different stores (and in multiple states) have no idea what is going on. One in NY wanted to sell my son the most expensive and heaviest boots. When we did buy boots and they fell apart after one week and he tried to return them in North Conway, NH the guy there was plain rude and obnoxious, simply because he was a teen (my husband had already arranged to have them exchanged at that store and the guy didn't believe my son). Another in Rutland VT didn't know what a Big Agnes insulated pad was. We like the REI in the D.C. area - they have tons of stuff but the pack selection is pretty poor.

Nothing can replace the personal service and help with warranty issues like Rockfish Gap Outfitters in Waynesboro. Those guys are great and they love thru hikers.

Hooch
12-18-2007, 14:40
The people we have talked to at EMS in several different stores (and in multiple states) have no idea what is going on....We like the REI in the D.C. area ....
I've never been to an EMS store, but if my move back to Charlotte works out, then I'm planning on taking a part time job at REI just for the side bennies. :D