PDA

View Full Version : Fla. Trail - Ocala area

2009ThruHiker
12-18-2007, 11:46
We are planning a Mid Jan. Hike of the Ocala area - Fla. Trail but have yet to narrow down our exact iteniary (waiting on trail maps to arrive). Perhaps you could suggest one based on our schedule:
Day 1 - arrive around 5pm camp without hiking (hopefully)
Day 2 -
Day 3 -
Day 4 - out by lunchtime - back to car

i would like to see juniper springs as part of this hike. Hopefully this hike will be a loop - we're not big on in and back's. Or perhaps a ride back to the original location if there is a reliable shuttle service.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR EVERYONE's Thoughts!

BumpJumper
12-19-2007, 19:02
Dear Hiker!
I am not far from the Ocala Forest and some sections. Please post when you go, I may be in for a days jaunt with you.
Dawn

Ewker
12-19-2007, 20:12
I haven't hiked the FT in a few yrs. I always had a good time down there. Enjoy your hike what ever section you do

JojoSmiley
12-20-2007, 11:20
We live in the Ocala Forest in Silver Springs. PM me if you are hiking after 14 Jan and need any help or company. Juniper Springs and Hidden pond are close to each other and great places to hike.

ofthearth
12-29-2007, 16:17
Hello,
Have been section hiking while trying out new gear. Had hoped to start a thru-hike (scary thought) in Jan. but with the reservation being closed and more things needing to be done at home I'm taking the opportunity to try and get a little better prepared and see what the FT is all about. So far I've gone from Gold Head State Park down to the 88 store(3 days) where Janie, section leader for 17 & 18 rescued me and got me back to my truck. Some nice areas but a bit of road walking. Got a different pack after that adventure. Later went from the 88 store down to Farles Campground and then back to the 88 store(4 days). Even coming back over the same trail it was still a beautiful walk. And the there needs to be an 88 store at the end of every trail.

If anyone would like to get together, help with a shuttle/ offer advise-suggestions about a walk form Gold Head over to White Springs around the first of the year let me know.

We seem to have a couple of different threads going about different sections so I hope I don't annoy anyone by posting this in different forums.

tia
ofthearth