PDA

View Full Version : Effect of Weight-loss on clothing comfort

Gasaholic
12-18-2007, 13:45
Have any of the veterans found that after a couple months of hiking weight-loss can be a factor? Should this be considered when planning a future package of clothing?

I am trying to plan this trip from overseas so I would like to avoid surprises.

Thanks,

Gasaholic

CoyoteWhips
12-18-2007, 13:46
I'm still wearing the same pants I wore 80 pounds ago.

Different belt.

Gasaholic
12-18-2007, 13:56
I'll make sure to not walk behind you.

Blissful
12-18-2007, 14:03
You will need new convertible pants for sure - if your weight is a little heftier than normal. If you are already thin, you might not lose any or you might gain d/t muscle. I dropped a size mid way and needed new convertible pants. I could have used a third pair my mid summer but had my mom in law put darts in the second pair. When I got home, I found I dropped close to three sizes and had to pick up some clothes. On the trail I ordered my pants on line. They can then be sent to a trail town. I also had trail runners mailed to me at trail towns.

Footslogger
12-18-2007, 14:08
Have any of the veterans found that after a couple months of hiking weight-loss can be a factor? Should this be considered when planning a future package of clothing?

I am trying to plan this trip from overseas so I would like to avoid surprises.

Thanks,

Gasaholic

=========================================

Guess it's a question of "degree" regarding weight loss and style/item of clothing in question. I lost a total of 38 lbs between Springer and Harpers Ferry on my thru - most noticeably in the waist and hips. I was able to compensate by adjusting the waist tie on my hiking shorts (basically a nylon bathing suit - sans mesh liner).

'Slogger

Pedaling Fool
12-18-2007, 18:59
I wore the same clothes after losing 60 lbs during my thru-hike; just had to tighten the draw string a little more. I do remember other hikers having a problem with their waist-belt on their backpack, requiring them to retro fit and new belt, luckily I did not have that problem.

ScottP
12-18-2007, 19:06
Pre-order as few things as possible. You will learn a lot while you hike, and will have very easy access to outfitters and the internet.

Johnny Swank
12-18-2007, 20:07
+1 on not buying a bunch of stuff ahead of time. You can easily order stuff from the trail and have it shipped a few days ahead. I know for a fact that Campmor will ship to post offices using a General Delivery address, and there are good outfitters along the way as well.

Appalachian Tater
12-18-2007, 21:24
Don't preorder anything except possibly a summer bag. If you are overweight you may drop significant pounds. I had to buy new shorts in Harper's Ferry because my old ones wouldn't stay up in a comfortable way even with the belt. On the other hand, my torso stayed the same size--dropping weight off my stomach didn't change my shirt or jacket size. I did resist the temptation to cut all of the extra waistbelt off my pack knowing that I might gain weight back in the future.

What ScottP said about learning, and preferences change.

hopefulhiker
12-18-2007, 21:26
I bought a new pair of discount nylon shorts up north somewhere.. that is about it....

JAK
12-18-2007, 21:31
The elastic on skin layer pants can take a really beating when your overweight, and be done by the time you are down to them. I just bought some Hot Chilli 1000s on sale at winners. Went with the Large. Should probably gone XL on the pants because of my waist and thighs. But I tend to keep skin layers in reserve anyways, so I hope to be down to size before I stretch the crap out of them.

Christopher Robin
12-19-2007, 18:02
Like other said wear shorts or pants w/ elastic & a draw string that way you can make adjustments.

rafe
12-19-2007, 20:48
Have any of the veterans found that after a couple months of hiking weight-loss can be a factor?

Yes, but only in a good way. :D