PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got Epilepsy?

Cassiusblack
12-18-2007, 14:44
So a couple of weeks ago i had a cluster of seizures. First time its ever happened. I can't drive for a year and i'm currently on medication. Now my doctor says i can't drive for a year but he thinks that i may be able to do the trail though i should probably delay it by a month (mid april now). Now i may still be on my anti seizure medication by the time i attempt the trail and i was wondering if anyone has attempted the trail while being in a similar condition.
My doctor says that its probably going to be a one off but i would be interested to know if there is anyone out there who has done the trail with an irritating medicating medical condition such as epilepsy or something worse...

Hooch
12-18-2007, 14:54
As a nurse, my first concern would be what happened if you were in the backcountry and seized again? Proximity to emergency medical care is definitely not an advantage of the AT. Many anti-seizure medications require very careful prescribing and the patient must often have levels drawn from their blood to determine if the medication is at a therapeutic level. If the level was subtherapeutic, the person would be much more likely to experience a seizure whereas if the level were too high, even to the point of being toxic, that could lead to other serious problems as well. I'm not telling you not to hike the AT, but I'd definitely thinl twice about it.

Pennsylvania Rose
12-18-2007, 15:13
I don't have epilepsy myself, but my best friend does. She has several types of seizures - grand mal, ones where she just sort of zones out, and seizures in her sleep that can cause her to freak out without being aware of it (think someone's after her and leap across the room and cower in terror, eg). Here's what I've learned from her:

- seizures can change - she started out with having grand mals as a teenager, and just recently started having the last kind
- medication needs to be adjusted for many reasons - new types of seizures, frequency of seizures changes, general tweaking to figure out what works for you
- stress (mental and/or physical) can change degree/frequency of seizures and result in a change of meds

I've taken my friend camping and hiking many times without issue, but here are some tips we'd pass on to you:
- be sure you're comfortable with your condition - having a seizure can be really freaky both for you and those around you - it took a while before my friend could recognize that a seizure was coming on (and after 20 years she still gets suprised sometimes), and before she got used to how she feels after having one (totally wiped out)
- make sure anyone you're hiking with knows you have epilepsy and tell them what to do if you have a seizure (for example, my friend has dealt with this for years, is OK soon after her seizures, and doesn't need medical attention, but has had people call ambulances she doesn't want and gets stuck with the bill)
- wear a medical bracelet
- know your meds - what you're on, the dose, the side effects that affect you
- realize that the physical and mental stress of thru hiking may change the dose or type of meds that you need

I wouldn't discourage you from thru hiking simply because you have epilepsy. I do worry, however, that since it's new to you, often takes awhile to figure out the right meds/doses, you're not likely to be completely symptom-free even with meds, and you'll be in another country under a lot of physical stress that you be absolutely sure that you can confidently deal with any changes in your symtoms while on the Trail.

Tennessee Viking
12-18-2007, 15:15
How bad, strong, and cause for your seizures? I had some small spaceout and arm twitches as a child. Doctor put me on Depakote that worked well, but its pretty strong stuff and hard to come off when taken long term.

First off, follow your doctors orders.

If he gives your the ok, I would recommend that you do not hike alone. Hike with someone that knows how to aid you through seizures if one occurs. Possibly someone that is able to carry you out.

I would start out on day hikes. Then move slowly. Pushing yourself too hard can trigger a seizure.

wrongway_08
12-18-2007, 16:01
My wife has Epilepsy. She has the Gran(d?)ma (forgot the proper spelling - but the are some of the worse ones to have) seizures. She also has a form of hormone seizures - dont know what the tech name for it is but when it comes to her time of the month she more problems with seizures.

She has her Scuba Diving cert. and dives. Never had a problem.

As far as hiking goes, not a big deal as long as you know how your seizures react and come on.

For the wife she is 200mg/day each of Topamax and Lamictal.

Get on your meds, make sure you know how you will react, and if all is okay, go hiking. It is a good idea to have someone with you that knows what to do.

My wife wont go diving without me, if something goes wrong at 60 or 90 feet down - she needs another person there that knows what to do. Its not a big deal to have one as long as you have someone there that knows what to do.

By the way, knowing what to do is simple. Do not try to "stop" someones arm/leg/head from moving - you'll more then likely break that persons arm/leg or neck. Just let it happen (unless you know a certain "trick" that will help you out of the seizure), keep the person away from objects that can hurt them like trees, rocks, desks, doors - hard objects.

By "trick" I mean (for my wife this stuff works) - rubbing the side of the neck, wet salt in her hands (dont know why this helps), rubbing the wrist lightly.

Pick up a book, read about Epilepsy and then have your partner do the same. While it can be hard to deal with at times and is not a "walk in the park" to have - it is no reason not to do what you enjoy.

Cassiusblack
12-19-2007, 16:13
Thanks for the advice. My doctor suspects that it may just be a one off and i feel the same way (even though my medical knowledge is slightly small ;) ). I'm going back to see him in late February and hopefully if i had not had any more seizures i may be confident going. It may also make it a little difficult with my travel insurance seeing as i'm British . I'll just have to see what happens...

Mother's Finest
12-19-2007, 18:25
Thanks for the advice. My doctor suspects that it may just be a one off and i feel the same way (even though my medical knowledge is slightly small ;) ). I'm going back to see him in late February and hopefully if i had not had any more seizures i may be confident going. It may also make it a little difficult with my travel insurance seeing as i'm British . I'll just have to see what happens...

First of all brother Big Love to you.

You are 21 and this is your first seizure ever? I had my first seizure when I was 17. It happened as I was falling asleep, grand mal trainwreck. Cat scan, brain scan, probe scan everything, my neurologist told me that it was from smoking pot and drinking beer. So he says that I can never do that again. I don't, but six months later I have another one.

So he puts me on meds. I take a pill four times a day. I am 35 now. Between the age of 18 and 35 I tried to go off my pills three times. Each time I had a seizure. It is simple for me now, pills=no seizures. Interesting that pot has been very helpful in curbing some of the associated down feelings of the medication.

Someone mentioned a SUB therapeutic dose. My blood levels have always been in the sub-therapeutic range and it works for me.

My only suggestion to you is to make sure you are stable before you start the trail. Meaning get your meds straight first, or don't start. If you and your doctor decide you don't need them, beautiful.

be cool brother seizures suck

peace
mf

wrongway_08
12-19-2007, 18:36
Not to bring you down but usually it wont be just a oops, that was weird and then nothing ever again.

Hopefully it was a one time thing.

Just remeber how you felt right before it happend - light headed, strange tingle in your hand - anything that hapened right before you fell out.
Keep this in the back of your mind and if those feelings happen again - pull over if driving, sit in a safe place if at home, let someone know incase you have another.

Cassiusblack
12-31-2007, 19:14
Not to bring you down but usually it wont be just a oops, that was weird and then nothing ever again.

Hopefully it was a one time thing.

Just remeber how you felt right before it happend - light headed, strange tingle in your hand - anything that hapened right before you fell out.
Keep this in the back of your mind and if those feelings happen again - pull over if driving, sit in a safe place if at home, let someone know incase you have another.

You know what's odd? Nearly every doctor i've spoken to has told me that i probably just had a virus. I neglected to mention that i was vommitting through out the day so it was not just the seizures. A friend of mine did some landscaping work for a doctor who is supposed to be one of the best Neurologists in the UK and after describing my symptoms, the normal test results (CT, Lumbar Puncture, EEG and MIR) he believes that it probably was just a virus.

All i can do is hope that i do not get any more over the next couple of months andi'm confident to do the AT in April...

berninbush
12-31-2007, 19:25
That *is* really odd.

Are you sure you didn't bump your head somehow, or even have it severely shaken? If your brain "sloshes" and bumps up against the inside of your skull, it can give you a concussion and cause vomiting (and seizures, I think). Did your symptoms include a headache?

wrongway_08
12-31-2007, 19:53
You know what's odd? Nearly every doctor i've spoken to has told me that i probably just had a virus. I neglected to mention that i was vommitting through out the day so it was not just the seizures. A friend of mine did some landscaping work for a doctor who is supposed to be one of the best Neurologists in the UK and after describing my symptoms, the normal test results (CT, Lumbar Puncture, EEG and MIR) he believes that it probably was just a virus.

All i can do is hope that i do not get any more over the next couple of months andi'm confident to do the AT in April...

If you got sick like that before hand then it could be and most likely will be a one time thing. A "real" sezure would not have you getting sick like that.

You may want to check out what you where around that day, as in paint fumes, water proofing products (shoes/jacket) and the likes.
Tami got sick due to them before, that in turn caused her to have a sezure.

There is a possibility that - if it was caused by a chemical - anytime you are around that chemical, it will cause you to have them.

Hope it was a virus, if so just be thankfull you dont go through that normally.......................................

push2party
01-08-2008, 13:13
Take your pills, don't party to hard and get your rest and you should be fine. I had a few in college and my neurologist said the same thing "this should be a one off, (he added this for me) stop with the cocaine and you'll fine."

I did and was for ten plus years and then i had a Grand Mal in the office one day - 12 years sober, in good physical condition...more or less happy. I was able to see the security footage of myself launching out of a chair and locking up on the floor - let me tell you i never worry about taking my pills now.

It's been 8 years since then and ive done the BMT/AT loop (18 days) with out any problems. The closest problem ive had is my teeth chattering from forgetting my good underquilt.

fyi - Dilantin 100mg X3 - cheap, no side effects.

Best of luck

Cassiusblack
01-09-2008, 16:03
"this should be a one off, (he added this for me) stop with the cocaine and you'll fine."

Heh I'm a good boy! Acturally that might make me a boring boy... anyway i'm determined to do this. I'm going to start mid April instead of mid March and i'll also do a research trip some time in March to do a little bit of the trail as well as purchase some of my gear in the US (aka Half Price Land to Brits).

warraghiyagey
01-09-2008, 16:06
Having a friend who's had seizures on and off, you might consider hiking with a friend.:)

desdemona
01-14-2008, 00:12
I have epilepsy but haven't had a seizure in 10 years or so. Seriously karate helped me get over the seizures. I think the breathing in it did this so I would think anything like yoga, tai chi, etc. might help. I think being in good physical shape generally will help, so I'd just watch re: the amt of exposure (maybe put off the rock climbing) and hike with a friend.

Yeah take your meds. I can't handle ANY alcohol at all.

--des

wrongway_08
04-03-2008, 20:30
Hi im Ricks wife Tami :),
I learned from a guy i used to work with whos dad used to have seizures that if right before you have a seizure you rub salt into the palm of your right hand it will stop it you have to melt it into your hand, or if you are in a seizure have someone else do it it brings me right out of it i can talk i can walk right away.. i always carry a small bag of salt around with me just incase and the people with me know why i have it.

I hope you havent had any scence but to let you know for the future if you do i would try it it really does bring me right out of it it may work for you*

Ricks right I've never had any trouble doing anything really i try to do as much as possible i try to do everything im scared of so i no i can do it!
My main thing is heights.. i went parasaling over the summer that kinda scared me being so high up im not good with that.. but i was with people that new what they were doing and i was over water so.. if i fell eh

Always you gotta live before you can die..

Have a great night everyone nice to meet you all!

Appalachian Tater
04-03-2008, 20:40
Someone mentioned a SUB therapeutic dose. My blood levels have always been in the sub-therapeutic range and it works for me. Then for you, that's the therapeutic level!

My only suggestion to you is to make sure you are stable before you start the trail. Meaning get your meds straight first, or don't start. If you and your doctor decide you don't need them, beautiful. Best advice. As long as you're stabilized, no biggie. You still have to live life.

I would also caution you that if you have any kind of warning symptoms prior to a seizure, take them very seriously, especially on the trail, and if you have them, don't ignore them, and make sure that you move to a safe spot. You wouldn't want to have a seizure while on a knife edge or climbing rocks.

desdemona
04-04-2008, 00:39
Hi im Ricks wife Tami :),
I learned from a guy i used to work with whos dad used to have seizures that if right before you have a seizure you rub salt into the palm of your right hand it will stop it you have to melt it into your hand, or if you are in a seizure have someone else do it it brings me right out of it i can talk i can walk right away.. i always carry a small bag of salt around with me just incase and the people with me know why i have it.

I hope you havent had any scence but to let you know for the future if you do i would try it it really does bring me right out of it it may work for you*

Ricks right I've never had any trouble doing anything really i try to do as much as possible i try to do everything im scared of so i no i can do it!
My main thing is heights.. i went parasaling over the summer that kinda scared me being so high up im not good with that.. but i was with people that new what they were doing and i was over water so.. if i fell eh

Always you gotta live before you can die..

Have a great night everyone nice to meet you all!

I am guessing that if this worked on a person that they had some degree of control of seizures (more likely to get if you have a seizure with an aura). And that the salt was no sort of magic, but was a way of getting the person to focus on the salt vs the impeding seizure.

Take your meds.
--des

wrongway_08
04-08-2008, 20:39
Yea everything i do i make sure someone is with me that i know knows what to do and im doing. i am just like everyone else i like to go out and do everything!! i do push myself so that i know i can do it rick made me that way he showed me that everything in life could be allot worse to be glad i have what i have and nothing is a disablility unless you make it one,to take advantage of life :-)

des--mine are under control, and no your right the salt was no magic, the salt absorbes the antibodies witch then slows the heart rate down and yes i take my meds thank you.

desdemona
04-10-2008, 22:56
Yea everything i do i make sure someone is with me that i know knows what to do and im doing. i am just like everyone else i like to go out and do everything!! i do push myself so that i know i can do it rick made me that way he showed me that everything in life could be allot worse to be glad i have what i have and nothing is a disablility unless you make it one,to take advantage of life :-)

des--mine are under control, and no your right the salt was no magic, the salt absorbes the antibodies witch then slows the heart rate down and yes i take my meds thank you.

That's good! :)

Yep, I think you just go do it. I don't know if I think that this year is the year for the thru-hike. Maybe not.

Also watch about electrolyte levels. Certain anti-seizure drugs are bad on the electrolytes (come to think of it that may be where the salt idea comes from-- the low electrolytes can even give you seizures). Strangely drinking TOO much water can make this worse. This is the more challenging thing for me in hiking as I do really need to make sure I drink much more than usual. The electrolyte mix "Electro-Mix" is a HUGE help.

--des

turtle_tami
04-11-2008, 18:05
Its Me i got my own name for daytime use, i never thought about electrolyte levels how do you check them?

I dont go to doctors i usually reserch my own stuff they dont seem to know anything more then i can figure out on my own..i went to the doctors about 6 years ago i was feeling kinda iffy she did a eeg and she said no its normal... it was like big scribbles everywhere!!! yea that didnt look normal to me.. im trying now to learn how to read them im going to get a copy of it and find out what it ment. see if i can figure it out.

To much water would hurt make it worse? hmm i usually drink gaterade powerade flavored water.. stuff like that

envirodiver
04-11-2008, 18:19
My wife has Epilepsy. She has the Gran(d?)ma (forgot the proper spelling - but the are some of the worse ones to have) seizures. She also has a form of hormone seizures - dont know what the tech name for it is but when it comes to her time of the month she more problems with seizures.

She has her Scuba Diving cert. and dives. Never had a problem.

My wife wont go diving without me, if something goes wrong at 60 or 90 feet down - she needs another person there that knows what to do. Its not a big deal to have one as long as you have someone there that knows what to do.

As a scuba instructor: diving with this type of illness is taking a huge risk IMO. I can't imagine a Dr. signing off on that as acceptable. Underwater is not the place for a seizure of any kind, there is just too little room for error. You say that you know what to do, but to not prevent them from doing anything. How will you keep the regulator in her mouth? How will you keep her from dramatically changing depth and creating a life endangering situation for the both of you. What is the breathing rate like for someone having a seizure? I would assume that your air consumption would dramatically change.

I love to dive also. Good Luck, I didn't mean to sound like your parents, but I just couldn't pass this by.

GGS2
04-11-2008, 18:20
Its Me i got my own name for daytime use, i never thought about electrolyte levels how do you check them?

My wife used to get bad headaches and feel really rotten on long car trips. I would just get her a Gatorade or the like and she would perk right up. Beer also works, if you don't overdo it. I don't think you need to check them by any lab test. But if you feel really low and unsettled, it doesn't hurt to take some electrolyte replacement fluid. Can't do any harm, and often it is just the ticket, especially if you have been sweating heavily, either from wet exertion or from being out in the hot sun and wind. That's really what sunstroke is, just fluid and salt loss. Of course you need water, but you lose salts as well.

Hiking is a prime way to lose your equilibrium that way. Normally you get all the salts you need from food, but if you are going a long time between snacks or meals and working hard, that may not be enough. It's just something else to remember when you are doing a self-check on the trail, or on the road.

desdemona
04-13-2008, 04:32

I dont go to doctors i usually reserch my own stuff they dont seem to know anything more then i can figure out on my own..i went to the doctors about 6 years ago i was feeling kinda iffy she did a eeg and she said no its normal... it was like big scribbles everywhere!!! yea that didnt look normal to me.. im trying now to learn how to read them im going to get a copy of it and find out what it ment. see if i can figure it out.

To much water would hurt make it worse? hmm i usually drink gaterade powerade flavored water.. stuff like that

I don't think that you can check it. A doctor can. If you tend to run low sodium levels or take Tegretol (or both) it can be a problem. Another way you might tell is if you tend to pee a lot. Too much water is hard to get hiking, so I doubt it is a problem, it's if you get off the trail actually. Some kind of electrolyte replacement is good if you have epilepsy, ime. So it could be a problem if you are hiking and go rest somewhere for a few days.

What constitutes "normal" in EEGs is very-- well lets' just say it's an art and not a science. I think that a "normal" EEG is very common with "temporal lobe" seizures. There may be all sorts of abnormal brain activity but it is down deep and not on the surface. What you saw may be normal alpha (relaxed) state waves, but that doesn't mean you don't have epilepsy. OF course, I am not sure what you saw-- but I have seen the same kind of stuff. Wavy (smooth) is normal, high spikey is not (but again depends). I am not a doctor.

BTW, re: diving and epilepsy. I think that some of the attitude re: epilepsy and diving is based on medievel ideas. Note that the ideas on diving and just about every single other condition (including asthma) have changed to meet the times. Why not epilepsy? Bad name. If it were called seizure disorder, it would be changed tomorrow. Though I still think it is crazy to dive with active, uncontrolled seizures. Actually some doctor admitted as much, the idea I got was: if you have had perfect control for some period of years (ie. over 5), then some schools (and doctors) will clear you. Many would add being off medication and under control. I think many times doctors are reticient to take someone off meds if they are doing well. Indeed I can understand why. I think many people just remain on meds.

--des

turtle_tami
04-14-2008, 11:58
thank you all for all the info-i did some reserch on electrolytes a doctor does have to check them i went out and checked the different mixes i can get power aid i found out they say is good for it and gives you more but really its not. so i went to gatorade.

i also did reserch on eegs and how to read them i have wanted to learn for years because of the fact my doctor said mine was fine and yea i dont have any anymore but i still would like to learn what that was and if i went off my med what it would be, and also it didnt look fine i was feeling iffy when i went in. so i am now going to go get a copy of it and see what was going on there.

In a referential montage, all channels may show deflections in the same direction. If the electrical activity at the active electrodes is positive when compared to the activity at the reference electrode, the deflection will be downward. Electrodes where the electrical activity is the same as at the reference electrode will not show any deflection. In general, the electrode with the largest upward deflection represents the maximum negative activity in a referential montage

they have abbreviated names for each section/nerve of the brain i have had a few done i can see if they are all the same see if they match up and once i figure out where the problem lies i can figure out a little more of what the issue may be.

And about the diving-i thank you for your opinion, but i am fine i have been diving scence 2000 i am just like anyone else there is nothing different about me then you.

max patch
04-14-2008, 13:46
You'll only have a seizure in the water once.

One of my sons had seizures when he was younger. Everything normal now. However, the doctors have told him he is never to go swimming by himself for the rest of his life.

Appalachian Tater
04-14-2008, 13:48
Is he not supposed to take baths alone, only showers? You can drown with just a tiny bit of water.

max patch
04-14-2008, 13:56
Is he not supposed to take baths alone, only showers? You can drown with just a tiny bit of water.

Yes, thats also a restriction.

Appalachian Tater
04-14-2008, 14:02
I would think driving more dangerous than swimming. People with epilepsy are allowed to drive after a certain seizure-free period. I'm not saying that they should be flying large commercial airliners but advising them not to swim alone is odd.

max patch
04-14-2008, 14:17
I would think driving more dangerous than swimming. People with epilepsy are allowed to drive after a certain seizure-free period. I'm not saying that they should be flying large commercial airliners but advising them not to swim alone is odd.

All true.

Even though my son hasn't had a seizure in several years, now has a normal EEG, has apparently "outgrown" the problem, and had the type of seizures that (usually) happen only upon wakening, he is under the water restrictions because he would drown (no question about it) if he had a seizure while in the water.

Swimming or taking a bath by himself is considered an unnecessary risk not worth taking.

turtle_tami
04-14-2008, 17:35
You'll only have a seizure in the water once.

One of my sons had seizures when he was younger. Everything normal now. However, the doctors have told him he is never to go swimming by himself for the rest of his life.

I used to listen to doctors.. untill i went there i asked what is causing my seizures and they told me its epilepsy that means a seizure with a unknown cause... arent doctors supost to find out the cause..?? ever scence i go there when i need to and thats it. i know what i have, i picked my own medicine had them change me to it, and scence i have started to do so i have been seizure free imagine that the med they put me on i had seizures the med i put myself on i am free..

i am not saying dont listen to your doctor by far no im not saying that if you feel thats whats best if your child has allot of seizures!!!!!! but your child has to live life!! he is only young for so long*
when i was a kid my parents kept me in the house because i had seizures i couldnt do anything i was like a trapped rat in a cage. i hold that against them still to this day i lost allot of younger years thinking i was an outcast and different from everyone else and that i was not wanted anywhere i didnt have any friends cause i couldnt do anything i was so boxed in that i felt like i was a loner and didnt talk to anyone.
Then i met rick (wrongway) and he showed me that i am not different then everyone else that there is so much out there to do and that if you get out and do more you feel beter not only about yourself but your body feels beter. i have been white water wrafting, parasaling, diving, jet sking, and so much i have never even thought i could do!! i was so wow..
yea there are risks but what in life is not a risk

diving and swiming are not good if you go by yourself if you have someone around that knows what to do in those situations it is ok to do me and rick took allot of classes on diving for those situations i know that there can be risks to doing things but there can be risks to everyone and anyone just by walking out your door

Mother's Finest
04-14-2008, 17:47
I used to listen to doctors.. untill i went there i asked what is causing my seizures and they told me its epilepsy that means a seizure with a unknown cause... arent doctors supost to find out the cause..?? ever scence i go there when i need to and thats it. i know what i have, i picked my own medicine had them change me to it, and scence i have started to do so i have been seizure free imagine that the med they put me on i had seizures the med i put myself on i am free..

i am not saying dont listen to your doctor by far no im not saying that if you feel thats whats best if your child has allot of seizures!!!!!! but your child has to live life!! he is only young for so long*
when i was a kid my parents kept me in the house because i had seizures i couldnt do anything i was like a trapped rat in a cage. i hold that against them still to this day i lost allot of younger years thinking i was an outcast and different from everyone else and that i was not wanted anywhere i didnt have any friends cause i couldnt do anything i was so boxed in that i felt like i was a loner and didnt talk to anyone.
Then i met rick (wrongway) and he showed me that i am not different then everyone else that there is so much out there to do and that if you get out and do more you feel beter not only about yourself but your body feels beter. i have been white water wrafting, parasaling, diving, jet sking, and so much i have never even thought i could do!! i was so wow..
yea there are risks but what in life is not a risk

diving and swiming are not good if you go by yourself if you have someone around that knows what to do in those situations it is ok to do me and rick took allot of classes on diving for those situations i know that there can be risks to doing things but there can be risks to everyone and anyone just by walking out your door

You are not kidding brother. When I first started taking my pills, I used to feel so boxed in. Like I was no longer free.

But that was almost 20 years ago, and two attempts to go off my pills resulted in Grand Mals....so I take the pills, and I am fine. I just carry my pills with me.

As to the diving issue, my cousin is a Scuba instructor. She said the same thing to me. I have never done scuba. However, I surf, snorkel and sail....it really comes down to your tolerance for risk. If your seizures are not controlled, it is a different story. I would like to try scuba someday

peace
mf

wrongway_08
04-14-2008, 19:16
its tami im on ricks now its auto signed in on the house computer,

im glad to here your good and doing all that stuff thats great!

when you deside to go diving let me know i will go with!!
Its great its a totally different experiance!!!! you will love it*

desdemona
04-14-2008, 23:41

It certainly is!! That's where I think the SCUBA thing is so odd. But as for bathing and swimming, I think this restriction is for active, uncontrolled seizures. No one has ever told me not to swim, even when my seizures were very active. Though I have a different type of seizure. I couldn't drive for several years.

I wouldn't recommend this for someone with uncontrolled seizures. There's just no way, water (and the deeper the worse, in the case of SCUBA) would really be a serious issue. I think you would need to be seizure free for some reliable period of time. *ANYBODY* could have a seizure at some time. It is not like there are these X people who have seizures and that someone else won't. Hiking up a mountain has a certain degree of risk too.
(Seizures or no). What I'm basically saying is that there is no way of eliminating all risk. Ultimately you have to decide the amt. of risk that is acceptable. For me it wouldn't be jumping out of airplanes but someone else might decide it is.

As for the reading of EEGs, as I said it is more of an art. You could read an EEG but that in itself, doesn't diagnose anything. Seizures are diagnosed as much by reports and that kind of thing and a negative EEG doesn't mean no seizures. There are ways to illicit seizures in a susceptible person (and ways to illicit them in anybody-- certain chemicals say) such as strobes and so on.

I think extra electrolytes are good for anybody engaging in activity that uses them up rather quickly.Gatorade is popular but has lots of sugar.

--des

Connie
04-28-2008, 19:15
my message was lost.. I AM LOGGED IN.

Connie
04-28-2008, 19:32
I have seizures.. depends.

Seizures with head trauma within 30-days is "early onset" and 18-24 months is "late onset". A "cluster of seizures" is typical at seizure onset. You will need to "stabilize".

I did a yoga posture-breathing exercize, prepared by a kriya yoga specialist. My seizures "stabilized". Nothing else helped.

If you can, have the local Epilepsy Society help you find a family that has experience of a family member for you to live with. Have them note the frequency of seizures, when and what happens before, during and after. How long to full recovery? Have them provide a signed, dated note in ink for your MD (and, possibly for the driver's license hearing officer).

I had let my driver's license lapse, believing I would never drive. However, my driver's license was restored.

The law looks at each case individually.

Meds never helped me.

My seizures are fully unconscious. I look like a passed out drunk.

I have 24-hour warning, like a coffee buzz, so I don't drink coffee. I have "immediate warning" of 30-45 minutes of "spinning commas of light" in my visual field.

I simply do not drive. If on a long trip, I stay at a motel. The last long trip, I stayed at a motel three nights.

I have 2-3 seizures over 2-3 days, or 3-5 seizures over 3-5 days if "severe".

I do solo hiking.

That's my 2-cents.

Forget Gatorade. Forget soda pop.

If you are serious about electrolytes, have neither too much or too little water or fluids. Try Champion Nutrition Revenge Sport Energy Drink (http://www.trisports.com/chamnutrevsp1.html). I use CytoSport CytoMax Performance Drink, as directed, if sweating heavily. I seldom sweat heavily. Dilute organic apple juice. Drink tamarind juice or calamansi juice straight, on hot days.

If you drink soda pop by the liter, tell your MD. That alone will put you in seizures., if you have a lower "seizure threshold".

If you MD never heard of these things, find a better MD.

.. that's my experience. Don't give up! You can do all sports!