PDA

View Full Version : Hitch hiking?

tomsawyer222
12-18-2007, 21:19
:-? I am planning a thru in 09 and am facing the reality that hitch hikng into town for resupply will almost be un avoidable. I dont have to much of a probablem with it but i have never done it before.... I was wondering if any of the previous thru hikers have any tips of hints on how to do it or experiances with it

Lone Wolf
12-18-2007, 21:22
stick your thumb out and smile

doggiebag
12-18-2007, 21:26
You'd more than likely get picked up by section hikers, weekenders or anyone who has an affinity for hikers. It's not the highlight of my long distance hike. Worst case scenario start walking into town if no one picks you up within a half hour. More than likely ... you will be offered a ride on your way in. Most trail towns know what you're about and are usually accomodating. Then again I've met some hikers that enjoy the challenge of getting a hitch. It could be fun sometimes when you start competing with your buddies on who can get picked up first. It can boost or shred your ego depending on your luck that day. Just my opinion. Keep a good sense of humor and you'll be ok.

DAKS
12-18-2007, 21:27
take yer' hat off if wearing one so people can see yer' face. that's one thing i was always told? always face the the approaching/passing vehicle rather than have your back toward it. oh, and be sure to stick a thumb out!

Bearpaw
12-18-2007, 21:32
I wish Beorn would post here. He had some kind of mind-boggling hitch karma, which is saying something for a 300-pounder who wore black spandex top and bottoms. He never seemed to need more than about 5 minutes max to secure a ride.

But a couple of things that he mentioned that seemed to help:

1) Make sure your pack is visible and doesn't look like a soup kitchen. This way you look less like a bearded vagrant (which you basically ARE when you're on a thru-hike). But the trail is a known quantity in most of the corridor, and the visible pack can help.

2) Smile sincerely. Happy hikers tend to get rides more easily.

3) If possible, hitch with an attractive female. This seems to DRAMATICALLY increase your chances of getting a hitch. She'll often appreciate having someone else to hitch with her since there are people out there who will only pick up an attractive female. Hyper Heidi was one of the quickest partners I ever got a hitch with.

4) Find a GOOD spot where cars can see you followed by a wide shoulder or lot for cars to pull in. The urge to walk toward town and try to hitch on the way can give way to no hitch due to no shoulder in many places (like heading to Waynesboro, VA).

5) Don't look like me. I must have bad hitch karma. I had to wait over 2 hours for 2 different hitches on the Colorado Trail summer of 2006. But on the AT, even I mostly had good luck.

P. S. It might be worth investing in one of those bandanas that say either "Hiker to Town" or "Hiker to Trail". I haven't tried it, and with my pack right in front of me, it seems a bit like "Well, No S***", but I've heard it some times helps.

Frosty
12-18-2007, 21:33
:-? I am planning a thru in 09 and am facing the reality that hitch hikng into town for resupply will almost be un avoidable. I dont have to much of a probablem with it but i have never done it before.... I was wondering if any of the previous thru hikers have any tips of hints on how to do it or experiances with itBest way to get a ride is to be a woman.

Appalachian Tater
12-18-2007, 21:43
Don't start walking OUT of town until you have a ride. It's much easier to get one at the gas station or on the road than once the road turns into a highway.

Make sure the vehicle will have a place to pull over, preferably on a straight section with good visibility in both directions. If they can't stop safely, they probably won't stop. If there is a parking lot at the trail crossing, walk away from town so the vehicle can pull into the parking lot.

There is something about not putting your thumb out until the point where they will only have a second to make a decision. If they see your thumb out a mile a way, they'll have a whole minute to come up with reasons not to stop.

Besides taking off your hat and making sure your pack is visible, make sure your hiking poles are visible.

Be ready to go if they pull over, don't make them wait.

Don't forget your poles or anything else when you get out of the vehicle.

If a ride really creeps you out, don't take it. Suddenly remember that you left your water bottle just back down the trail.

Yes, and it is much easier to hitch a ride with a female hitching with you.

rafe
12-18-2007, 21:48
Besides taking off your hat and making sure your pack is visible, make sure your hiking poles are visible.

I take a different approach. Before I put my thumb out, I fold up the poles and strap them to the pack alongside my tent.

I figure poles are useless in town anyway, and drivers might see them as threatening. Plus there's the matter of simply forgetting or misplacing them.

Jack Tarlin
12-18-2007, 21:49
All good advice, esp. Bearpaw.

A few more ideas:

*Eye contact with the driver is important, so lose the sunglasses.

*If you're wearing a light colored shirt, put on something else. Anything that
makes you look less filthy will help you with rides.

*Likewise, keeping the beard semi-trimmed can't hurt. The more you look
like Charles Manson, the more rides you potentially lose.

*Absolutely make sure you're standing in a place where you can be seen by
approaching cars and where it's safe for them to stop

*Before getting in to a car, remove your wallet from your pack and put it in
your pocket. That way, in the absolute worst-case scenario and you're
separated from your pack, you don't lose everything.

*Try and hitch with a woman friend.

*Try not to hitch with more than one other person.

*Try and avoid putting your pack in a trunk. And if you have poles, thread
them thru your pack straps so you don't forget them when you get out.
Hiking poles are the most frequently lost items while hitch-hiking or when
you're getting a ride or shuttle somewhere.

*Early in the trip, if you get in the back of a pick-up truck, dress warm, i.e.
hat and gloves. It WILL be cold, and many, if not most of your rides will be
from people with trucks.

*If you're staying in a town or at a hostel and need to hitch around to get
supplies, keep your pack with you. You'll look like a backpacker and not
some bearded carless bum.

*If you ever have bad vibes about a person, don't get it. Period.

That's a start!

Bearpaw
12-18-2007, 21:51
I take a different approach. Before I put my thumb out, I fold up the poles and strap them to the pack alongside my tent.

I figure poles are useless in town anyway, and drivers might see them as threatening. Plus there's the matter of simply forgetting or misplacing them.

I strap my poles to my pack also. It makes getting loaded and heading into town quicker and easier. Of course, they're visible since they're the ONLY things on the outside of my pack. That way, I'm either a hiker or a really creepy vagrant with high-tec weaponry/cookware :cool: :D

Smile
12-18-2007, 22:04
Lwolf: stick your thumb out and smile

Hey, I'm not always there to help :)

Good advice, and never hitch alone.

Smile
12-18-2007, 22:05
Well, ok, if you're a guy you might. :)

Blissful
12-18-2007, 22:12
I always hitched with my son, he loved doing it, so he did the thumb part. I just sat by the side of the road on my pack. The best thing though is to try and snag rides in parking lots if available. I like it better walking up to other hikers and asking if they are going my way.

Ron Haven
12-19-2007, 01:22
There are starting to be more and more places that offer rides.Check your handbooks,ask fellow hikers to see what they know,ask the hostel or motel owner is there rides you know of at the next town or trail crossing. Sometimes you will be surprised at what they know,All this info helps.

The Mechanical Man
12-19-2007, 01:52
And don't forget to put your pistol away, at least until you have secured a ride, but be ready to use it again on your driver, cause you never know when your gonna need it.

hehe

Tennessee Viking
12-19-2007, 02:19
Once you get to in Tennessee at Devils Fork Gap to Cross Mountain, just give me a call, I don't mind help with shuttling into town. You can also usually catch me on trail.

The only places around Tennessee I wouldn't hitch would be US 19E to Campbell Hollow Road. You can get some real colorful characters around there. But generally trust your instincts, and don't stray too far off trail. You might end up walking a long way back.

If you are planning to stay at Kincora. Bob will most certainly take you into town. You might just have to help with some trail maintenance though...lol

tomsawyer222
12-19-2007, 06:41
Ok thanks for all the good advice. I guess after the first few times i will get used to it and it wont seem so awkward.

mrc237
12-19-2007, 08:26
Don't take it personal when people pass you by, it just builds resentment. Remember hitchin' is like rain dancing its all in the timing!!! :D

nitewalker
12-19-2007, 08:49
all the above advice is rite on the money. most of us will take a ride with any1 but try and make sure you have a safe ride. i once caught a ride by a guy who was hog hunting. he had some big antenna that received a signal from the dog collar of the dog in the woods. well to make a long story short we jump in the back of his beatup pickup upon which i notice several open beer cans thrown about. well by this time we are already driving 50mph commin down 1 of the mtn roads, all of a sudden i see the scruffy dude take a haul off one still full knickerbocker beer:eek: . the rest of the ride was priceless:( ..we did make it to town but what a rush...peace, nitewalker

P.S. it seems easier to get a ride in the southern states as opposed to the northern states...trust me:D

ScottP
12-19-2007, 14:10
I hike in a kilt (skirt) and always hike it up a little bit and show some leg....seems to help.

Gaiter
12-20-2007, 03:35
and don't not stick out your thumb, just because its a dump truck or mennonite lady, any one passing is a possible ride,

me w/ my dog, and a group of eleven all got to the road at the same time, all wanting to head into town, i thought we'd never get a hitch, i jokingly stuck my thumb out when a dump truck went by, it stopped, it was brand new and fit all 12 of us, our packs and the dog, still my best hitch ever.