PDA

View Full Version : Deuter pack owners: Your comments?

Auntie Mame
12-18-2007, 22:01
In seeking a well built light weight pack, I notice the Deuter packs on line. Similar to Atmos 50 and 65, but some configured with better pockets, in my opinion. I can't locate these locally (That means in the state!), so want any user thoughts. I may be carrying 20 - 30+ pounds in long distance hiking this year. Thanks, Mame

Roots
12-18-2007, 22:22
We just bought the Deuter 50 for my husband about 4 months ago. He tried the Atmos 50 and a Gregory pack, but didn't like the feel of them as much as the Deuter. He likes how it stays off his back for ventilation but doesn't hurt his shoulders. I have to admit when he got it, I was jealous. That's a nice pack. We've done 2 trips since-both were only 1 nighters, but the pack worked great. We also do a lot of training with our full weighted packs--around 30lbs. The pack seems to do really well with stability. It seems to be a 'fully loaded' pack but doesn't seem to be overly done. Just enough amenities are on it. It is essentially the same pack as the Atmos, just made by a different company and about $100 cheaper. These packs are suppose to be what mountaineers in Europe use. He really likes it. Good luck with your decision.:)

OregonHiker
12-18-2007, 22:25
If it were me I would probably go wth a ULA

Dingus Khan
12-18-2007, 22:27
They are more common in Europe and Canada (German made), I actually almost bought one in Quebec City (hometown) and they LOOK good with a great price but are not as durable as others. These were the 40L, 150$ packs. The sales rep said they were great for boy scouts or weekend hikers, but may not be for someone looking to get lots of miles out of them. They felt good, were comfortable and had most of the basics you would expect to find on a good pack. I cannot speak for Deuter as a brand in general since the packs I inspected were all in the same genre i.e. they may have a more expensive, higher tier of quality items that kick butt.
If I remember correctly, I was quickly pointed to other packs when I mentioned I wanted to hike the AT...
for some reason they felt a lot like Jansport - I'm not sure what that means exactly, but it is something that has stuck with me.

who knows, maybe they just didn't like me either...

good luck, I'd love to hear more about them as well.

Mississippi
12-18-2007, 23:36
I have a Deuter Futura 42 AC. They are common overseas and actually made in Vietnam, not Germany. I just use mine for 2 or 3 nighters and it's fine. Truth be told though, I wish I would have went with something else.

longwe tru
12-19-2007, 00:01
I have two Deuter packs and like both of them very much. I have a short torso and the adjustability is very good for my fit. Mine are the women specific and light (2lb) and well made. I would highly recommend them.

Press
12-19-2007, 00:08
I have Deuter 32 AC and I like it a lot. The back ventilation setup definitely keeps your back cool in the summer. Seems very sturdy to me, I can get enough stuff in there for 2-3 nights (not incl. a tent, but can strap a small one to the top.) Very light, comes with cover. Only downside, it could be a little longer. I'm about 6-1 and can't really get it low enough to strap it to my hips. But it's so light that isn't really a problem.

NICKTHEGREEK
12-19-2007, 09:22
I bought a Deuter Air Contact Vario and I love it. Very comfortable. It isn't a "light pack", the weight is maybe 10% above similar volume packs.

I wanted a different sholder harness and the time from E-mail to knock on the door from UPS was 4 days. Great customer service. Very reasonable price.

I'd buy it again.

Dingus Khan
12-19-2007, 14:00
sorry bout the missed info, and thanks for the correction mississippi

Christopher Robin
12-19-2007, 15:33
All of you are saying the Deuter is good , but do some one have a web site to go to please.

whitefoot_hp
12-19-2007, 16:04
remember that deuter is german, and the germans are some of the best engineers and manufacturers in the world.

Dances with Mice
12-19-2007, 16:12
I bought a Deuter daypack for the sole reason that it was the only daypack I could find in REI that would hold 7 Renegade 95mms (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aWUXEeWrDo), 8 beanbags (http://jugglingthingies.homestead.com/files/index.htm), 5 silicone balls (http://www.dube.com/ball/silicone.php?aw=38&gclid=CK2IpeSStZACFSCBEgodljbdKg)and a first aid kit. I lugged all that into the store and tried every pack they had.

But I love it for day hikes, especially in the summer. At least two people I've lent it to have gone out and bought their own.

(PS - that certainly ain't me in that video and yes, the prices for silicones is correct).

Roots
12-19-2007, 17:49
I forgot to mention that we got that pack at a very popular and reputable local outdoor store. We were hesitate at first because we did not know anything about the brand Deuter. I'm one of those that researches the *ell out of things before I spend the money. When my husband tried it on, after several others, and loved it I couldn't disagree because it was his choice. The guy was more than happy to sell us that pack at a lot cheaper price than one of the Osprey's or Gregory's, which also said a lot. After he described the company and how he and others have reviewed their products, it sounded like a steal.

He likes it and I guess that's all that matters.:)

ScottP
12-19-2007, 18:14
They've always looked overbuilt for me--too many worthess doodads and gizmos. You could probalby attack one with a knife and make it reasonable...or you could just buy a ULA or 6 moons pack.

It would be good for a dayhike carrying goofy stuff (Dances with Mice style, as he said above), but probably not so much for a thru.

Auntie Mame
12-19-2007, 22:31
Thanks for the help, people. I am familiar with a lot of packs, being a bit geary, and my husband and sister have Catalysts. Nice, but I like the mesh back concept and have a preference for certain pockets and storage areas, most likely a vestige of being a purse carrying female. I want low weight but good structure. I don't care for the pocket material on the Atmos packs. My Vapor Ki gets bogged down with even 20#, and lacks that all-important front stash pocket. Its all a harmless past time, and keeps me from bolting for the trail prematurely.:banana
I also noticed how much the ULA style pack back captured the sweat and odor, like a giant sponge.

EMAN
12-20-2007, 01:11
When I first started looking for a pack with a bit more comfort (I was carrying, and still have, a GoLite Trek which, at 2 lbs, was very light and durable but kind of like carrying a sack with straps) I bought a Deuter
ACT Zero 60+10 (3.5lbs)
As with most any piece of gear I guess, there were things I liked and didn't like.
I really liked the way the waistbelt cinched up by pulling the excess forward rather than backward. Made that adjustment much easier and secure. There were pockets aplenty and it didn't have that "curve" some packs seem to have in the main compartment.
I did not like the torso adjustment thing. It seemed that no matter how I adjusted it, it would ride on my spine somehow. Didn't hurt or anything (and believe me, there may well have been some sort of operator error here I assure you), it was just...irritating.
And the top pocket was shaped as a wedge with the point cinching down the pack. Plenty of space but I carry my water Platypus in that top pocket rather than the inside the pack pockets. It was almost impossible to stuff 2 liters of water in there.
Minor things but I sold the pack and ended up with a GoLite Quest which has so far been just fine.
I bought the Deuter at Backcountry Edge which has a return policy like REI but you have to return it before 30 days...60 days...something like that. They provide a return sticker. Unfortunately, I waited beyond the return period to do so.
I think if I were looking for a deccent lightweight pack, I would check out one of the recommendations posted herein first. The Quest is about the same weight I believe and, in my case at least, is very comfortable. I carried about 38 lbs on the BMT for a week in Oct and it carried great. Has the back panel. And pockets on the waistbelt which I thought might be a bit froo froo for my style but were actually darn useful. Held map and snacks with room to spare.
Hope this helps some.

Roots
12-20-2007, 12:04
Hey Auntie Mame...It's me one more time. This time I'll talk about my pack. I got the Osprey Talon 44. I used to have the Gregory Gpack, which would top out around 23 to 25 lbs.. That was absolutely the max. The back of it was like a sponge. I loved the pockets of it, and who wouldn't like how light the thing is. My Osprey is ssoooooo different. I LOVE THE PACK!!!
It weighs 2.7lbs (M/L size) which is nice. The fabric is extremely durable and I love all the attached straps, zippered lowered compartment access. The front and side pockets are stretch woven pockets that stretch very well. The hipbelt has perforated foam and zippered side pockets. It has so many amentities compared to my Gregory. That's the way I want my pack, though. Some probably don't want all that, but I like it. I hope you find what works for you. Let us know how it goes!!:)