PDA

View Full Version : Fontana South December27th-Jan1st?

The Doctor
12-18-2007, 23:19
:dance A buddy and I are heading out from Fontana Dam south toward springer. We are both good hikers and can easily manage 12-16 miles/day in Ga AT Terrain durin the short days of winter. I've done NOC to Hiawasee before and it wasn't that bad (~4 days), but how is the hike from Fontana to NOC? I just want to check so I can get an idea of mileage in that area. Is 1.5 days enough time to get through that section? Any help is well appreciated.

Oh and by the way, Happy festivus for the rest of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pitdog
12-18-2007, 23:29
If your in good shape,trail legs,you should make it in a day and a half.

Pedaling Fool
12-18-2007, 23:39
That's about a 30 mile hike, so 1.5 days is doable. You'll have a pretty good climb out of Fontana Dam, but I most remember The climb leaving NOC (nobo); I remember there being an endless number of false-sumits, especially after Grassy Gap. However, I guess they'll be descents for you.
After Cheobald Bald the terrain was pretty easy, except the climb out of Sweetwater Gap, but again it will be a descent for you.

I've done this twice, but only nobo, so it would seem to me you will have more descents in a sobo direction, but that can slow one down as well, so you may want to add a little more time to your trip.

The Doctor
12-19-2007, 18:06
30 miles seems like a lot to do in that area. Does anyone have the elevation charts for that area (Fontana Southbound?). Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Also, any tips on how to dress for those elevations and avoid hypothermia?<-----Im no novice so layering is an obvious!!!!

Blissful
12-19-2007, 19:52
I know south to north it's a bear with PUDs. I disliked the Stecoah region. Challenging.

rafe
12-19-2007, 20:21
I know south to north it's a bear with PUDs. I disliked the Stecoah region. Challenging.

I'm sure you're not the only nobo to think that. ;) Sweetwater Gap, my a$$.
But the views from Cheoah Bald were awesome.

ScottP
12-19-2007, 20:38
That's one of the tougher sections in the south, if I remember correctly. It's also one of my favorites. I did it in a day and a half in 06 and under a day in 07 (In late-march, good conditions).

If you get snow, 1.5 days could be a really tough hike, and the short days will also mean that if you want to do it in a day and a half you will have to make good use of daylight.

If you plan on having a bailout in case you don't make it on time, be sure that whatever road you plan to use is actually kept open during the winter.

Pedaling Fool
12-19-2007, 20:40
... I disliked the Stecoah region. Challenging.
Yeah, that's where Sweetwater Gap is, that was some tough climbing.

gldwings1
12-19-2007, 21:29
We are planning on that in the spring. It is a beautiful area. Wanna take the kids up there to see the Bartram trail in the gorge. I helped to build it when I was in college. Finished it to connect to the AT. Found out you people on Trail Crews are HARD CORE! Thanks for all you do!

Chaco Taco
12-19-2007, 21:34
I am doing this stretch next week with Little Bear. I hear NOBO it is the toughest strecth of the So AT. I love the challenge, should be a good one especially if there is a little snow on the ground.:sun

Chaco Taco
12-19-2007, 21:40
Weather for that area next week is looking like upper 40 days, sun, mid 20's night.

little bear
12-19-2007, 21:44
Wow Im not trying that section next week in 1.5 days. LOL has anyone heard or know how the water is for that section?

Lone Wolf
12-19-2007, 21:46
a day and a half off the couch in that section ain't very smart

Chaco Taco
12-19-2007, 21:48
You better be doing some runnin down there in Mexico LB :sun

Wow Im not trying that section next week in 1.5 days. LOL has anyone heard or know how the water is for that section?

rafe
12-19-2007, 21:50

Here's one tip... there ain't no water in Sweetwater Gap. :D

Chaco Taco
12-19-2007, 21:54
So think we should do a water drop???

Here's one tip... there ain't no water in Sweetwater Gap. :D

ScottP
12-19-2007, 22:32
That section also has very little on-trail water, even in wet times. There are (were?) a few off-trail water sources, but not as frequently as you usually see on the AT.

rafe
12-19-2007, 22:43
Heading north, there's a spring or stream or whatever shortly after the climb out of Sweetwater Gap. It's a short ways down off the trail -- on the right, as you're heading north. But that was a long time ago...

The Doctor
12-19-2007, 23:03
Thanks for all the tips, I just went out and bought an elevation chart. It looks pretty rough so we'll probably have to plan safely on two days (hopefully 1.5) hiking from sunup to sundown. It seems like I alwyas use way more water in the sinter, So it sounds like water is a big problem, is it possible to hike in that much (or would you recomend another method)?

ScottP
12-19-2007, 23:09
Make sure you have a headlamp--if there's snow two days of sunup to sundown may not be enough time to complete this section for hikers without trail legs, especialy since you'll be hauling lots of water and winter gear.

Pedaling Fool
12-19-2007, 23:13
... So it sounds like water is a big problem, is it possible to hike in that much (or would you recomend another method)?
I wouldn't worry too much about water, just get it at every chance; yes it's drier than other areas, but I've never heard of anyone dying of thirst through there.

Roots
12-19-2007, 23:16
I know there were quite a bit of posts a few months back about this section. We finished it, NOBO, in October. There was water from Stecoah to Fontana. From Stecoah( there is water there, it's hard to find-refer to Wingfoots book for details) to NOC we are not sure. It was VERY dry in Sept.. We have had rain, but the drought really did a number up there. Call Jeff and Nancy at Hike Inn. They usually have good updates. Good Luck and happy hiking!:)

rafe
12-19-2007, 23:20
FWIW, as a nobo thru-hiker wannabe, that stretch took me almost three days... but I got a late start the first day, moving real slow after gorging myself at NOC. It's a tough 29 miles [NOC to Fontana Dam.]

rafe
12-20-2007, 01:10
So think we should do a water drop???

Prolly not. There are three shelters betw. NOC and Fontana; the ALDHA guide says all three have "reliable" water sources. Of course, I don't know if that still holds given this summer's drought.

Chaco Taco
12-23-2007, 23:29
Any water updates around for the Fontana-NOC area since these last few days have been wet here in Central NC

Bare Bear
12-23-2007, 23:38
When you get to the paved road where the concrete picnic tables are you can usually get a hitch into town easily. Have a meal, get water at the BBQ place on the left as you enter town. Very hiker friendly everytime I have been there. Hitch back out and enjoy that climb up to Cheoah Bald then down mostly into NOC but either NOBO or SOBO it is a fun hike. Or wait until April 1-15 when we do the Trail Magic there at Stecoah Gap. Smiles and miles everyone.

Waterbuffalo
12-28-2007, 10:32
I was at the NOC on wednesday no major hiking just checking things out the trail was very saturated so I assume the springs may be good.

Roots
12-28-2007, 18:13
I live here in Western NC and it has POURED the rain today.:banana
I have become a huge fan of rain here in the south. Anyway, I would say with all the rainfall we've had this past month, that it would be a big help for prior dry spots. Really the only problem I know of was NOC to Stecoah, but Stecoah has water. All this rain is a plus for the '08 hike--YEAH!!