PDA

View Full Version : cubic inches

scout005
12-18-2007, 23:22
What is a reasonable pack capacity in cubic inches for a thru hike? I have a 2500 cu.in. pack and plan to carry about 30 pounds. Is that enough for a thru starting in Feb. northbound? I plan to carry a lightweight tent.

take-a-knee
12-18-2007, 23:27
In a word, no. How much is enough depends on your gear and how long between resupply. The pack used by more thru hikers than any other, according to outfitters along the AT, is the Granite Gear Vapor Trail, it is 3600 with the top collar extended. It is what I consider a small pack.

JAK
12-18-2007, 23:39
I think it would be better to go for a pack with more volume and less weight, and not overstuff it. 30 pounds should then be doable with a 2 pound pack, but not if you overstuff it. 3600ci might be sufficient to avoid overstuffing.

Pedaling Fool
12-18-2007, 23:44
You may want to get some gear first before focusing too much on the pack, but I generally agree with what the others have said about packs.

take-a-knee
12-18-2007, 23:50
You may want to get some gear first before focusing too much on the pack, but I generally agree with what the others have said about packs.

Excellent advice, or just get a Moonbow Gearskin and it won't matter much.

Froggy
12-19-2007, 00:17
First, get all the rest of the gear. Then you'll know how big a pack to get. The lighter the rest of the gear is, the smaller the pack that you need.

With about nine pounds for a base weight, a 3,100 cubic inch bag seems to work fine. With a fourteen pound base weight, a 3,600 cubic inch pack fits.

Your needs might vary - so first, get the rest of the stuff. But it sounds like 3,600 might be plenty.

take-a-knee
12-19-2007, 00:39
Whether you use down or synthetic gear doesn't make a huge weight difference, but it makes a sizable difference in your gear's volume.

Jack Tarlin
12-19-2007, 00:43
I think you'll probably be happier with a slightly larger pack. It'll hold more; you'll have less stuff hanging on the outside; it'll be easier and quicker to pack up each day; and it'll hold up better, as people whose packs are too small end up damaging them every day simply by trying to get all their stuff inside. Eventually, the pack rebels against this and explodes.

Get a bigger backpack.

JAK
12-19-2007, 00:44
The nice thing is that the 2500ci pack should be sufficient for you to test gear and food and clothing and stuff. So what gear and clothes do you have already? Any particular clothing or gear that might act as a focal point on which to base other choices. I'm a wool sweater man myself.

JAK
12-19-2007, 00:49
Whether you use down or synthetic gear doesn't make a huge weight difference, but it makes a sizable difference in your gear's volume.A wool sweater doesn't take up pack volume if you never have to pack it.

Footslogger
12-19-2007, 00:53
What is a reasonable pack capacity in cubic inches for a thru hike? I have a 2500 cu.in. pack and plan to carry about 30 pounds. Is that enough for a thru starting in Feb. northbound? I plan to carry a lightweight tent.

=========================================

I would tell you not to get hung up on the numbers. Consider taking your 30lbs of stuff to an outfitter and cramming into a variety of packs. See which one holds all your stuff and carries comfortably. That would be the RIGHT sized pack for you.

'Slogger

JAK
12-19-2007, 00:57
I would get a down bag or quilt though. All my down in one place. That would bring a nice overall balance in terms of down, polyster fleece, wool, and of course closed cell foam. Throw in some wind layers, rain layer, shelter, and then your all done except for the shiny wee items.

SGT Rock
12-19-2007, 00:59
Another vote for a Gearskin. If you have one of these the volume of what you start to carry matters less.

Nest
12-19-2007, 01:07
Synthetic vs down really does make a big difference. I had to go to a larger pack because my underquilt and top blanket are synthetic. To give you an idea, I need over 4000 ci to carry everything.

JAK
12-19-2007, 01:18
Yeah, I have a synthetic bag also, and a gortex bivy sac, and a blue foam pad. That is over 2000ci right there. The rest of my stuff is pretty slight though, once I work out a spot for my Kelly Kettle. Polyester fleece can take up a lot of room also, especially 200wt.

ScottP
12-19-2007, 14:40
2500 cubic inches could be enough, but Febuary is cold--you'd have to be going fairly light to make that work.

Christopher Robin
12-19-2007, 17:10
2500 cubic inches could be enough, but Febuary is cold--you'd have to be going fairly light to make that work.
The pack size you have is often use for overnight or 2. I rool my fleece 200wt. in a small stuff sack when not in use, but you need it in Feb.

JAK
12-19-2007, 18:00
I think I might like that idea of the stuff sack for the 200wt fleece.
How compressible is it? How much weight does the stuff sack add?

scout005
12-19-2007, 19:23
Good info, thanks.

the_iceman
12-20-2007, 10:11
It took me 40 years to go back to down but imho it is far superior to synthetic and with the new cover material stays dry. The water proof stuff sacks will keep them dry in your pack. I just was unpacking some boxes left over from my move and came across my old zero degree sythenic. What a monster. I am glad I took down on my thru.

Food and water will most likely account for 15 ponds of pack weight on a lot of hauls out of down in the early part of the trip. This is while you still have cold weather gear. The irony is about the time resupply gets easier you can ditch you cold weather gear. Room needed depends on the base gear.

Too much room leads to "pack creep". The term I coined to describe how I stick in the "extras" just because I have room. Get your bases gear, 5 days of food, and water together then decide pack size. Stay on the smaller side which forces you to downsize with later will prove to be a good thiing.

Almost everyone sends stuff home and some of us pick up stuff along the way. I am a packrat and had to do a "pack review" periodically to weed out the junk.

taildragger
12-20-2007, 10:27
Get a pack that serves what you want to do with it. If your an ultra lighter, then you should be pretty safe, otherwise go get your other stuff first. Buying the pack is probably the "coolest" of your gear purchases, but put it off, you don't want to end up with a 5000CI backpack because someone who knew nothing about thruhiking talked you into it.

That, and with it loaded with your gear, you'll get a good feel for how its gonna carry.

JAK
12-20-2007, 11:55
That's a good point by the iceman about pack creep, but also about how you may need more room for an earlier start. What are some good strategies for getting by with a smaller pack and a smaller bag for an early start?

1. One idea that comes to mind is to resupply more often but I think for an early start its also important to carry the food and have the flexibility, and insurance.
2. I think a very good option is to start with a heavy wool sweater and then ship it home later. If you wear it all the time you don't need to pack it. They are actually quite comfy to sleep in also. They keep the moisture from the bag I think.
3. Maybe start with some sort of homemade front pack also, then ditch it later. Or it can be as simple as a stuff sack from your pack. I have carried an extra blue foam pad in front also. Not my wide one in my pack. Just my extra one which is maybe 48"x20". It makes a surprisingly good arm rest while hiking, and you can carry stuff inside of it also, tubular.

clured
12-20-2007, 12:10
I think 2500 is just prefect. I carried a Golite Jam last summer (the older version, right around 2800 ci) and it was far too roomy. Most of the time I would have the compression strap on the top pulled as far as it would go, and there was still ample room (and a lot of wasted fabric).

While there is certinaly some logic to buying the gear first and the buying the pack, there is something to be said for just finding a gear kit that will fit into a pre-chosen, small pack. It forces you to make smart decisions, and works against over-packing. Don't put together a huge gear list and then try to decide what you can "cut." Just buy what you absolutely need, and stop buying when you have enough to get by.

You need:

Backpack
Sleeping Bag
Sleeping Mat
Tarp
Bivy
Food Bag
TP
AquaMira
Platys
Clothes

And that's it.

JAK
12-20-2007, 13:10
That's a nice list. Mine is similar but I like a large blue foam pad and I like to carry it in my pack. Also I haven't repalced by synthetic bag with a good down one yet and my CF Gortex Bivy is a big green monster also. So that pretty much takes up 2400ci right there, but the rest is pretty easy. Also, I think it is best not to compress the living snot out of everything. A little more room is best, as long as you don't fill it with a little more crap. I am going to make my 3100ci Jam2 work, even in winter.

scout005
12-20-2007, 14:11
I've taken to wearing a chest pack for things I want to get to quickly like a liter of water, camera, maps etc. It also seems to balance the load nicely. Guess I'll have to factor the cu. in. of that as well. It's one of the larger Camp Trails camo fanny packs. I put the fanny pack belt through my pack straps. that holds it at about chest high.

Footslogger
12-20-2007, 14:28
[quote=scout005;478701]I've taken to wearing a chest pack for things I want to get to quickly like a liter of water, camera, maps etc.
====================================

Adopted the same strategy for my thru in 2003 and have carried one ever since. In addition to your list above I also carry my wallet in the fanny pack so that I can drop my backpack and still have ID/money/credit cards with me at all times ...

For my upcoming PCT thru I found a fanny pack that has small mesh side pouches that will hold 20ounce Gatorade bottles, which will come in handy for the initial miles in the "sandbox".

'Slogger

JAK
12-20-2007, 14:35
I have an ultralight daypack I think I will convert to a front pack, but I want to integrate it better so there isn't so much redundancy and clutter with all the webbing. If I'm felling brave enough I think will shorten the webbing on the Jam2 and my Daypack into clips right on the pack, so that the backpack and frontpack just clip together, or are replaced with a strap with clips. The tricky bit is the shoulder straps. Not sure I want to mess with that.

jersey joe
12-20-2007, 14:36
I thru hiked with a pack that was 6200 cu. in.---I would recommend going smaller than this. ;) I wonder if anyone here has thru hiked with a pack larger than this.

JAK
12-20-2007, 14:42
I thru hiked with a pack that was 6200 cu. in.---I would recommend going smaller than this. ;) I wonder if anyone here has thru hiked with a pack larger than this.Yowsa.

Here's a lady hiking through New Brunswick as we speak with something about the same size as your pack:
http://www.rosiearoundtheworld.co.uk/ROSIE444455.jpg

More on Rosie:
http://www.rosiearoundtheworld.co.uk/

taildragger
12-20-2007, 14:42
I thru hiked with a pack that was 6200 cu. in.---I would recommend going smaller than this. ;) I wonder if anyone here has thru hiked with a pack larger than this.

My attempt is going to be with a 5500 or so, only because I already own it...

jersey joe
12-20-2007, 14:43
Yowsa.

Here's a lady hiking through New Brunswick as we speak with something about the same size as your pack:
http://www.rosiearoundtheworld.co.uk/ROSIE444455.jpg

More on Rosie:
http://www.rosiearoundtheworld.co.uk/

Mine didn't have wheels!

jersey joe
12-20-2007, 14:45
My attempt is going to be with a 5500 or so, only because I already own it...

That's why I hiked with my pack traildragger, already owned it.

JAK
12-20-2007, 14:51
I had a pack that I finally got rid of because of the weight. If it was bigger on volume it might have been more useful. The Jam2 is nice, but if it was just a wee bit wider it would be better for getting my thighs in to use as a leg bivy. It works with a blanket and parka, but not with a sleeping bag.

Here's another shot of Rosie, heading for Newfoundland, then Greenland, then home.

http://www.rosiearoundtheworld.co.uk/2007%20%20Nov%20Dec%20Main%20041.jpg

the_iceman
12-21-2007, 10:07
A lot of people change packs enroute.

I started with a ULA Catalyst 4,600 cu/in. As I lost weight and shed winter gear it became more obvious to me that I was sized wrong for the pack. About 1/3 in I switched to a Gregory Z-55 which I think is around 3,300 cu/in. I broke a pack strap coming into Delaware Water Gap and Gregory overnighted me a loaner Z-55 (bright yellow).

Finally in Vermont I got my original Blue Z-55 back repaired. Unfortunately they were overzealous with the stitching and this time both pack straps tore at the stitch line within 24 hours of getting the pack back. After an emergency repair by a furniture store (upholstery department) in Rutland I was back on the trail. Gregory again stepped up to the plate with a loaner and admitted they found issue with the material and were reworking the straps.

They had no Z-55 loaners at that point and sent me a Ticoni to Glencliff. The Triconi is 3,800 cu/in and 2 pounds heavier. It was like strapping on a piano. It had the extra thick should and waist padding you need for big loads but they felt like 2x4’s to me. The pack was also very narrow and tall. It looked like I added 20 pounds to my pack just because of the design. People made fun of the big pack I had but I got used to it. I finished the trail with that pack and got my Brand New Z-55 from Gregory when I returned home. :)

Gregory had a problem with the design of a new pack but they admitted it and really delivered on the service end. I think they spent more on shipping than I spent on the pack. They really go the extra mile. When you are on the trail you need companies that will deliver – Literally.

A few companies really came through for me:
Gregory for sure.

Jetboil (at first, but they changed their policy and that was BAD).

Vasgue, their boots did not hold up but they replaced them.

Big Agnes. I had a bad seam on an Air Core Pad – replaced – no charge. I broke a tent pole hub – repaired – No Charge.

Walmart – Swiss Gear Poles – Broke one – Replaced the pair – No Charge.

MSR – pump replacements in the South – No Charge. New England Outfitters played dumb. Sent the pump home. MSR replaced said pump NO Charge on my return home

Kirby
12-21-2007, 17:54
My pack is 4,250.

Kirby

Two Speed
12-21-2007, 18:05
Personally I'm able to make a 2,000 CI pack work for up to three days and a 2,500 CI pack work for up to 8 days. In both cases my rain gear, water bottles, SMD Lunar (or poncho & bivy set up) and sleeping pad are carried externally.

Programbo
12-25-2007, 09:55

I`m going to give you an answer I`m sure will be contrary to most you`ll get...Firstly I`m not a big fan of internal frame packs but I can`t fight 20 years of multi-million dollar marketing so I`ll forget that argument right now... The main problems I see on the trail with people are A) They have packs that are to small and they have all sorts of gear hanging all over the outside because they can`t fit it all inside...B) They insist on having a single compartment pack which means they have to take everything out to get to their sleeping bags which are crammed in the bottom..Get a pack with a bottom section and store your bag in there...C) People have packs that are to light and flimsy..Weight isn`t always weight...A pack which is 2-3 pounds heavier will actually carry your load better and transfer weight more efficently and you will conserve more energy and walk in a more natural manner...So my main advice is...DON'T buy a small pack and adjust your gear list to what you can fit inside it..Get all the gear you WANT and NEED to have a comfortable and enjoyable hike and then get a pack that holds it all