PDA

View Full Version : Carter to Wayah queries

Spanksteh
12-19-2007, 02:57
Getting ready to do some nice winter walkin'. Thinking about going Carter...Big Spring...Rock Gap...Siler Bald then out at Wayah Gap. Planning on 12/27-12/31. Would love to hear any comments on:

1. Water. Anyone know how the sources are doing these days; what with the hideous drought and whatnot in the SE.

2. Is the Poplar at Rock Gap still there? Rumors abound of its demise.

3. A few of us are...*ahem*...less fit than once upon a time. The hikes in this section are ~6-8 mile days and the topography profile doesn't look too bad. Would you consider these "easy" short hikes...taking into account some of us don't get started much before 10 and sunset's purty early these dayz.

4. Any comments on weather extremes in this section in late December?

many tankx

River Runner
12-19-2007, 03:12
1) I hiked part of that section in late Oct./early Nov. The water situation may have changed since then. At that time the first part of your section wasn't too bad for water. Ron Haven will hopefully chime in on more current water situations.

2) The poplar is still standing, but it is dead. Still impressive though.

3) This is the AT, so nothing is 'easy' as far as terrain, but 6-8 mile days
seem very doable even for being less than fit.

4) This is the AT. About anything could happen as far as weather. Monitor the local weather up till time of your departure. Take a cell phone. Ron Haven shuttles in that area & there are a number of places he could pick you up if the weather gets nastier than you want to deal with. He makes it REAL easy to slackpack if you feel so inclined. ;)

Ron Haven
12-19-2007, 03:53
1) I hiked part of that section in late Oct./early Nov. The water situation may have changed since then. At that time the first part of your section wasn't too bad for water. Ron Haven will hopefully chime in on more current water situations.

2) The poplar is still standing, but it is dead. Still impressive though.

3) This is the AT, so nothing is 'easy' as far as terrain, but 6-8 mile days
seem very doable even for being less than fit.

4) This is the AT. About anything could happen as far as weather. Monitor the local weather up till time of your departure. Take a cell phone. Ron Haven shuttles in that area & there are a number of places he could pick you up if the weather gets nastier than you want to deal with. He makes it REAL easy to slackpack if you feel so inclined. ;)Good advise.Thanks River Runner and thanks for the Christmas gift you sent us.Tell you boss I said to give you a raise or I'll send Henry and the mater pickers after him.:D

River Runner
12-19-2007, 04:01
Good advise.Thanks River Runner and thanks for the Christmas gift you sent us.Tell you boss I said to give you a raise or I'll send Henry and the mater pickers after him.:D

Actually my friend who is with me is the one who sent the Christmas gift. But I'll pass on your thanks.

But jeez, if I get a raise that means less time here on Whiteblaze, since I'm my own employer. :-?

rainmaker
12-21-2007, 00:39
Getting ready to do some nice winter walkin'. Thinking about going Carter...Big Spring...Rock Gap...Siler Bald then out at Wayah Gap. Planning on 12/27-12/31. Would love to hear any comments on:

1. Water. Anyone know how the sources are doing these days; what with the hideous drought and whatnot in the SE.

2. Is the Poplar at Rock Gap still there? Rumors abound of its demise.

3. A few of us are...*ahem*...less fit than once upon a time. The hikes in this section are ~6-8 mile days and the topography profile doesn't look too bad. Would you consider these "easy" short hikes...taking into account some of us don't get started much before 10 and sunset's purty early these dayz.

4. Any comments on weather extremes in this section in late December?

many tankx

I hiked from Standing Indian CC up the Long Branch Trail and then south on the AT staying at Big Spring and Standing Indian shelters before returning to the CC via the Kimsey Creek Trail this week. Springs at both shelters were flowing well. I assume the spring at Carter Gap was also flowing based on the recent rains and the amount of evident ground moisture, and ice.

Like the man said, this is the AT, though your itinerary doesn't appear daunting.

The operative word for the weather in the highlands of the southern mountains is extreme, from one to the other. Tuesday I hiked in, dressed lightly, and sweated. Tuesday night it sleeted and then turned to freezing rain while the temperatures dropped. Boy that down and fleece felt great. Wednesday was the great whiteout with a very wet cold fog hanging around practically all day. Thank goodness for raingear.

Today started out the same, cold and wet, but later warmed up. So, my advice to anyone hiking in the up country, get the best forecast you can but still pack for the extreme. Have a nice hike.

Spanksteh
12-21-2007, 17:55
Thanks for the replies!
If anyone else comes off this section in the next few days, would love to hear any latest news or nuggets. I'll monitor Franklin forecasts and then try to adjust for the 4-5000 ft factor. *Hopefully* any precip up that high will be snow, but sounds like Rainmaker you had sleet and fr. rain. We shall seeeee!

Can't wait....best to all.

River Runner
12-21-2007, 23:10
Like the man said, this is the AT, though your itinerary doesn't appear daunting.

Like the woman said... ;)

rainmaker
12-21-2007, 23:22
Like the woman said... ;)

Sorry 'bout that.

Egads
12-22-2007, 08:55
My memory may be a little foggy on this, but I do not remember a road crossing at Carter Gap. Isn't there a 3-4 mile hike in from Standing Indian campground to Carter Gap?

One thing I do remember about Carter is how beautiful the site is.

Egads

gldwings1
12-22-2007, 10:06
We were planning on Hiking from Springer to Standing Indian Last month and fell through but we contacted Carolina Mountain Club who told us the water situation and wanted us to update them after our trip because they continually update others. Long and short, they seem to be an up to date resource of water.

Happy Hiking,

Chuck

rockrat
12-22-2007, 12:49
Have you given any thought on how to get picked up at Wayah. Are you gonna go all the way to the top or are you gonna get off at the road crossing at the base of the mountain? If you are going all the way to the top, it would not surprise me to hear that the road is closed, but if its not I'd be willing to bet a sturdy 4x4 is your only other option.

Spanksteh
12-23-2007, 14:35
Hmmm....Please correct me if i'm wrong.
For starting at Carter, my map shows a Parking lot at Monroe Creek at the south end of USFS 67. Then ~2mi hike along Timber Ridge Tr. into Carter Gap. *side note: anyone know if USFS 67 is open?*

For coming out...I definitely need help here. My map shows a P right on 1310 BEFORE hiking to the top of Wayah Bald. We were hoping to use the parking lot at the base of the mtn. (i.e. right at Wayah Gap proper).

Anyone know of any problems with any of these roads and/or lots?