View Full Version : help w/footwear

12-19-2007, 09:19
is anyone familiar with something called a "tongue depressor" for shoes? the tongue depressor is simply a piece of very firm foam that is approximately the size and shape of the tongue in yer' shoes. you slide it under the laces right on top of the shoes tongue. this depressor helps to get a better fit when you have feet that are of two different sizes. i have issues getting a good fit because my right foot is one whole size smaller than my left??? this sucks!!! in the past, i was able to find them at REI when i lived near one of the stores. i no longer live near an REI, nor have i been able to find them anywhere else? i have asked for this item at several different shoe shops etc. and got nothing but strange looks? i have also tried DIY but i just can't find the perfect thickness/firm type of foam as the ones from REI?

can anyone relate to this and or help me find the said "tongue depressor?" thanks in advance!!!!

12-19-2007, 09:31
Did you try one of the shoe stores that specialize in orthopedic shoes? They frequently have their own listings in the Yellow Pages of the telephone directory. Since those stores specialize in fitting problems, they may have what you are looking for -- or something else that will accomplish the same thing.

12-19-2007, 10:32
can anyone relate to this and or help me find the said "tongue depressor?" thanks in advance!!!!


I did custom footwear fitting at an outfitter for over 5 years (prior life) and suggested tongue depressors to a lot of hikers. The material we used for the depressors was supplied by SuperFeet and was a dense rubber/neoprene foam material that came in sheets and was about 3/16" thick. Off the shelf tongue depressors are readily available on the internet. Here's one source:


I suggested tongue depressors for 2 main reasons:

1. In situations where a particular style of footwear was ideal for a hiker however their instep was low, relative to the cut/volume of the footwear.

2. In situations where the hiker had developed neuralgia due to pressure from the laces on the dorsal surface of the foot.

Comfortable feet are Happy Feet !!


12-19-2007, 11:45
that appears to be what i am looking for!!!! thanks! last time i searched the internet for this item, all the search came up with was something for ballet shoes??!!!! VERY NICE! although, i bet ballet shoes would fit into the ultralight category?

Johnny Thunder
12-19-2007, 11:52
PM Mother's Finest if that doesn't work.

Mother's Finest
12-19-2007, 12:19
I think what you want is a tongue pad.

You should be able to find that on the internet.....or just pm your address and I will mail you some no big deal


12-19-2007, 14:00
Johnston & Murphy shoes stores used to carry them, I don't know if they still do

12-19-2007, 20:34
i appreciate everyones help! thanks!!!