PDA

View Full Version : I miss the trail & the holidays make it worse.

the_iceman
12-19-2007, 09:43
Once you thru-hike your life is boiled down to what you can carry. Your needs are simple and your goal is to do with less, always less. What can I get rid of out of my pack? Do I really need this?

Your first big holiday when you get off the trail is Thanksgiving. You get to see everyone and have a lot of reason to give thanks.

Then there is Christmas. Designed to celebrate the birthday of Jesus Christ but with all the changes to the calendar since then who really knows when that was. It really has become a holiday of consumerism.

We are gripped with this weird need to go buy material things for people. We buy things for people we barley even know. We buy things people do even need or want. We feel guilty if we do not buy things. We also feel guilty when we get a gift. Was our gift equal? Is there an unspoken need for reciprocity?

I moved just before my thru-hike and I threw lots of stuff out. When I started un-boxing after the move I realized I still had way too much stuff. I did a 3 paragraph rant on my journal about my useless stuff. I am still throwing out stuff and people are wasting their money trying to buy me more stuff for Christmas. Save your money or give it to charity.

I am depressed. :(

Lone Wolf
12-19-2007, 09:48
it's all about choices. if nothing changes, nothing changes. there are children dying in cancer wards as we type and you're depressed? get a grip. it's just a trail. be thankful you can walk

pitdog
12-19-2007, 09:51
There are some great trails in ocala.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-19-2007, 09:51
::: Dino wraps a loving tail around the IceMan :::

IceMan, Christmas can be a good time to get the things you need for doing trail maintenance - and your family can have loads of fun trying to figure where in blazes to buy a fire rake :D....

Not sure what faith you embrace, if any, but most have some sort of significant event associated with this season. Looking at that instead of the materialistic holiday this has become may help.

One of the best ways to bust up a pity party is to help others - find yourself an opportunity to be of service to your fellow man

the_iceman
12-19-2007, 09:52
But I guess I just have to keep doing my part.

the_iceman
12-19-2007, 09:58
it's all about choices. if nothing changes, nothing changes. there are children dying in cancer wards as we type and you're depressed? get a grip. it's just a trail. be thankful you can walk

Instead of buying useless crap let's put that money someplace it would do some good.

BTW, I am thankful I can walk and have a damn good life. I would like to see people start taking care of one another instead of trying to buy their way through life.

LIhikers
12-19-2007, 10:02
Then there is Christmas........It really has become a holiday of consumerism.

My wife and I stopped giving presents years ago. Much of our extended family and some of our friends think we're misguided but we knew that would be the case when we made the decission. Now when we want to do something for a person, at any time of year, we donate to a charity in their honor and then send the person a card letting them know. If they can't appreciate that it's their loss.

Lone Wolf
12-19-2007, 10:05
Instead of buying useless crap let's put that money someplace it would do some good.

BTW, I am thankful I can walk and have a damn good life. I would like to see people start taking care of one another instead of trying to buy their way through life.

then don't buy into the Xmas BS. i do not buy gifts for anybody. a little something for gypsy but that's it. nothing for family or friends. i'm not a christian so it means nothing to me. it's all marketing. cheer up. :banana

the_iceman
12-19-2007, 10:08
My wife and I stopped giving presents years ago. Much of our extended family and some of our friends think we're misguided but we knew that would be the case when we made the decission. Now when we want to do something for a person, at any time of year, we donate to a charity in their honor and then send the person a card letting them know. If they can't appreciate that it's their loss.

Even beyond the lack of need for "wordly goods" that develops on the trail is the community you become part of. The openness and caring hikers show to one another on the trail is like something out of a black & white movie about small town America 75 years ago.

Bootstrap
12-19-2007, 10:09

Have y'all seen the charity gift cards that are now available on the Web? They allow you to give people money that can be used for the charity of their choice - that lets you be less presumptuous by not choosing the charity for them, and lets them have the good feeling of choosing to give to something good.

If you are giving to someone who also wants to get away from the consumerism and materialism that Christmas has become, it's a good way to go.

Jonathan

pitdog
12-19-2007, 10:10
What gets me is that christmas is based on a lie that we tell our children.Im for celebrating christmas,but lieing about it creates dishonesty.

maxNcathy
12-19-2007, 10:21
Stuff is neutral.
Only Love is real.

There's the right stuff and there is stuff better left @ home.Carry only the light stuff so you are always able to see through it to what is important.When people give you stuff the love behind the stuff may be genuine..never be ungrateful or tell a friend to stuff it at Christmas time.
And what is a turkey without stuffing.
Even Jesus got stuff for Christmas..
maybe He started Goodwill.

Piece and luv to u$ all.

Sandalwood

gold bond
12-19-2007, 10:40
Iceman...."The final value of any expedition is not what you failed to discover but what you found in it's place" (Dayton Duncan)

Christmas itself is for family, not about stuff. A "present" is a way of telling the special people around you that they are still very special in your life. That's a "present" you can't find in any store.In my family we make something for each other rather that buying.I took a picture of my son and myself on top of Mount Phillips that was taken this summer and made a frame out of some stained wood we had and wrapped it up for my wife.For my son I made him a CD of some of his favorite songs and added some of my own that I thought were special to me as they remind me of either times he and I have had together or all of us as a family this year.For my Mom I took a half day off of work and took her to lunch...any place she wanted. That's something I have not done in a long time!We had a blast.

You can visit your local childrens home, or orphanage. Go to an assisted living center and visit the senoirs who have no family. Put together a power point of your adventures and tell how it has effected your life in such a positive way.That's what Christmas is!

I will say it though....Merry Christmas to all of you! May God bless you and your families and may your paths be soft and the sunshine fall warmly on your faces. May you and all of your families have a blessed New Year.

Seeker
12-19-2007, 10:43
Once you thru-hike your life is boiled down to what you can carry. Your needs are simple and your goal is to do with less, always less. What can I get rid of out of my pack? Do I really need this?

Your first big holiday when you get off the trail is Thanksgiving. You get to see everyone and have a lot of reason to give thanks.

Then there is Christmas. Designed to celebrate the birthday of Jesus Christ but with all the changes to the calendar since then who really knows when that was. It really has become a holiday of consumerism.

We are gripped with this weird need to go buy material things for people. We buy things for people we barley even know. We buy things people do even need or want. We feel guilty if we do not buy things. We also feel guilty when we get a gift. Was our gift equal? Is there an unspoken need for reciprocity?

I moved just before my thru-hike and I threw lots of stuff out. When I started un-boxing after the move I realized I still had way too much stuff. I did a 3 paragraph rant on my journal about my useless stuff. I am still throwing out stuff and people are wasting their money trying to buy me more stuff for Christmas. Save your money or give it to charity.

the longer i hang around this forum, the more i realize thru-hikers are like soldiers (those who've deployed). you know what's important... life, water, food, friends who've got your back covered, dry socks, and the stuff you can carry. probably just about in that order too... just about everything else is a luxury to be treasured... a sunset/sunrise, stars, birds singing...

focus on what you learned from the trail. hang with people who have similar values. quit watching TV. don't go to the mall. buy a smaller car and be proud of it. basically, make it (your lesson) a lifestyle. religion works in there too, regardless of what it is... all of them, at their core, teach 'do unto others'. even aristotle, raised a non-christian/ jew/ buddhist/ muslim/ hindu (not meant to be all-inclusive, but covers the biggies) realized the great truth that virtue is it's own reward. you can feel bad for all those who don't get 'it'... but don't try to change them all... just live, and pass "it" on to those who are ready to learn... you're not responsible for all of them.

give your received gifts to charity. your friends will eventually get the message.

merry christmas, iceman. peace and simplicity to you and yours.

gold bond
12-19-2007, 11:10
the longer i hang around this forum, the more i realize thru-hikers are like soldiers (those who've deployed). you know what's important... life, water, food, friends who've got your back covered, dry socks, and the stuff you can carry. probably just about in that order too... just about everything else is a luxury to be treasured... a sunset/sunrise, stars, birds singing...

focus on what you learned from the trail. hang with people who have similar values. quit watching TV. don't go to the mall. buy a smaller car and be proud of it. basically, make it (your lesson) a lifestyle. religion works in there too, regardless of what it is... all of them, at their core, teach 'do unto others'. even aristotle, raised a non-christian/ jew/ buddhist/ muslim/ hindu (not meant to be all-inclusive, but covers the biggies) realized the great truth that virtue is it's own reward. you can feel bad for all those who don't get 'it'... but don't try to change them all... just live, and pass "it" on to those who are ready to learn... you're not responsible for all of them.

give your received gifts to charity. your friends will eventually get the message.

merry christmas, iceman. peace and simplicity to you and yours.

Well stated my friend!!

Grandma
12-19-2007, 11:14
I just don't like where things are going. Christmas season begins around Halloween now, and it's all a maketing scheme. As soon as the Halloween candy goes on sale, the Christmas trees go up. I'm not sure why you don't see this in other religions? Do you ever hear of a 24 hour Hanukkah sale? Then you have Easter, the "Super Bowl" of christianity, and you have a friggin bunny rabbit symbolizing the single most important day in this faith? At least I can the symbolism in gift giving at Christmas, as the three wise-men broght gifts to Jesus. It's all just a joke to me.

A-Train
12-19-2007, 11:17
My family has implemented the no gifts idea this x-mas. It's ridiculous how much money and effort and stress is involved in shopping. I think donating to a worthy charity is money much better spent than giving each other more stuff we don't need, can't use or don't want. I hear ya Iceman. I've been donating much of my old wardrobe and personal belongings to local shelters and churches. I have stupid amounts of stuff and someone else could benefit a lot more from them, than me having 9 different long sleeved shirts or 3 pairs of sweat pants.

Don't get down. You can't solve the worlds problems in a day, a lifetime or by yourself. Do your part, live simply, tread softly, and give back. That's all anyone can ask for.

Lastly, be happy for what you do have. Like the trail. and family. and life.

gold bond
12-19-2007, 11:42
I see that I'm not the only one that noticed the Christmas commercials starting even before Thanksgiving! I thought I was imagining it!

It's like anything else..what started as a nice gesture way back when(giving gifts) has turned into a "one upsmanship" thing!!

My family does celebrate Christmas as we believe that it's Jesus's birthday but other than that it has become unbearable at times!!

Lone Wolf
12-19-2007, 11:56
I just don't like where things are going. Christmas season begins around Halloween now, and it's all a maketing scheme. As soon as the Halloween candy goes on sale, the Christmas trees go up. I'm not sure why you don't see this in other religions? Do you ever hear of a 24 hour Hanukkah sale? Then you have Easter, the "Super Bowl" of christianity, and you have a friggin bunny rabbit symbolizing the single most important day in this faith? At least I can the symbolism in gift giving at Christmas, as the three wise-men broght gifts to Jesus. It's all just a joke to me.

and how many of you tree huggers go buy a tree, put all the crap on it then toss it away a couple of weeks later. who came up with that dumb tradition? :-?

Grandma
12-19-2007, 12:00
Another good point LW! Let's spend $100 on a tree, that starts dying the second you cut it, and lets put it in our house. Oh, let's put light on it and hope it doesn't catch on fire. Great idea!!!!!

Cerridwen
12-19-2007, 12:20
Hey Iceman- my trail name is Micro- I think we holed up in the same Over Mountain shelter during that crazy snow/windstorm in April...remember? Anyway- tell me about it! I have been feeling the same way. Ever since I've gotten back I have been painfully aware of how much the average person focused on material items they don't need and even the trivial dramas that so many allow to dominate their lives. Sometimes I just want to stand in the middle of the middle of a crowded store, "Go outside, go for a walk, get some fresh air, and you'll all feel better!" as I watch everyone bumble around looking at cheap plastic crap and fret about all the purchases they need to make for the holidays. I told my family to take the money they'd buy me presents with and give it to a charity-they said no. So be it. I came up with a couple essential items I could use- new hiking sneakers, a rain jacket, socks - and told them, if they must, give the money to me (and I will use it towards or give to whom I please), rather than just buying to buy. Christmas has most certainly become a giant money present to the big corporations and businesses, not too one another- it only sucks all the pleasure out of the holiday that we're supposed to enjoy.
However, I too, am only focusing on the negative and not helping Iceman's depression. What I have done instead of buying stuff for people is make things for others and give away items of my own that are still in good shape. ANd I have actually gotten great pleasure out of this-I have been forced to think more about the people I am giving to, what brings them joy, what their interests are, and what they could get use out of. ANd I am spending more quality time on their gifts - making cards, baking cookies, rooting through my closet, and sending emails. I think we all need to get together with family, make some good food, stop wrapping our presents, and reclaim the holidays for what they are supposed to be all about- warmth and love. Have a Merry Christmas, Iceman, and let your ideals express themselves through you and your actions- this could make the biggest difference of all, and enjoy the holiday!

rafe
12-19-2007, 12:20
and how many of you tree huggers go buy a tree, put all the crap on it then toss it away a couple of weeks later. who came up with that dumb tradition? :-?

I'll ignore the tree huggers slur, but the tradition comes from Europe and is at least five centuries. Probably more pagan than Xian. (see, eg., history of the song, "Oh Tannenbaum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Tannenbaum)")

Lone Wolf
12-19-2007, 12:22
I'll ignore the tree huggers slur, but the tradition comes from Europe and is at least five centuries. Probably more pagan than Xian. (see, eg., history of the song, "Oh Tannenbaum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Tannenbaum)")

it ain't a slur. it's a term of endearment. truth hurt?

rafe
12-19-2007, 12:23
the longer i hang around this forum, the more i realize thru-hikers are like soldiers...

Fighting for what??? Odd, I've never thought of myself as a soldier, but then I'm not quite a thru-hiker either.... :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
12-19-2007, 12:24
Fighting for what??? Odd, I've never thought of myself as a soldier, but then I'm not quite a thru-hiker either.... :rolleyes:

i'm a Marine and a thru-hiker. i don't get what he's saying either. it's just walking. :)

the_iceman
12-19-2007, 12:27
My wife and I talked about this for awhile. If you donate to a charity and send a card that says "Hey. I donated $50 in your name" you get into the reciprocity issue. Is $50 too much or too little? Maybe you donated to a cause that person hates? Wow, think of the stress.

So what we are going to do is to go volunteer in a soup kitchen or similar charity and give of ourselves. Then send cards saying “Hey we volunteered at a soup kitchen in lieu of giving presents this season. Please do not give us a gift but give of yourself to someone in need if you are able”

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-19-2007, 12:50
So what we are going to do is to go volunteer in a soup kitchen or similar charity and give of ourselves. Then send cards saying “Hey we volunteered at a soup kitchen in lieu of giving presents this season. Please do not give us a gift but give of yourself to someone in need if you are able”Magnificent idea
::: Dino wraps an admiring tail around the IceMan and Mrs. Iceman :::

Phil1959
12-19-2007, 12:57
Great Idea Iceman! The best thing you can do after having a life changing experience like we did,is to concentrate on what you can do to make a difference.It is depressing to only be happy if the whole world changes.It aint gonna happen anytime soon.So,do what you can do and at least you will change part of the world! 'Wrong Way"

Javasanctum
12-19-2007, 13:11

You are not alone I agree with your attitude. However, I don't feel depressed. Instead (it took 40+ years to de-program what the would have me think) I feel apart from the rat race, an ex-patriated consumer. You are in a subculture that understands what is really important. Ok maybe it would be ok to feel sorry for the rest of society. Celebrate the fact that you "get it". It's also amusing to watch the masses of lemmings scurrying around from our vantage point outside the glass. (It's only mean if you tap on the glass and point.)

Do not validate this twisted mindset of the world by feeling depressed or guilty. Get back at them! Be indifferent to the activities. Use your resources to help those that need it and continue your mindset with pride. After all, the Guy whose birthday we are celebrating was the ultimate trailblazer, hiker and trend breaker (through example)! You and other thru-hikers have set an example to the rest of us (and the lemmings if they can see). Thank you for that. Cheer the heck up! Redirect your emotional energy -- you already possess the solution.

taildragger
12-19-2007, 13:12
So what we are going to do is to go volunteer in a soup kitchen or similar charity and give of ourselves. Then send cards saying “Hey we volunteered at a soup kitchen in lieu of giving presents this season. Please do not give us a gift but give of yourself to someone in need if you are able”

Mad props to you on this. I'll probably be spending most of my X-mas procuring some good meat for the soup kitchens (gets rid of two birds with one stone).

But really, this idea seems to be much more in line with what the holiday is supposed to embody. Don't let Wal-Mart get the best of you.

And I know what you mean with all the crap. I thought that I never owned much considering I can pack my life into a SWB pickup truck, but I'm probably getting rid of half my stuff when I move back home.

BTW, if you're the Iceman that I met at the Ralph's Peak Shelter (RPH) during the hiker feed, then it was you and everyone else that sent me down the path to go do a long walk next summer just to see what I can learn and who I will meet. Thanks man, and happy holiday's, I hope that working at the soup kitchen is as rewarding as I think it will be.

the_iceman
12-19-2007, 13:18
BTW, if you're the Iceman that I met at the Ralph's Peak Shelter (RPH) during the hiker feed, then it was you and everyone else that sent me down the path to go do a long walk next summer just to see what I can learn and who I will meet. Thanks man, and happy holiday's, I hope that working at the soup kitchen is as rewarding as I think it will be.

That was indeed me at the RPH shelter. Good luck on the the long walk. Just remember you are out there for yourself but you are not alone. Move gently thru the woods and try to bring joy to others.

Smile
12-19-2007, 13:22
Originally Posted by the_iceman

If there is a "christmas spirit" that would be it :)

Blissful
12-19-2007, 14:52
Well, I love giving someone a gift. I really get joy out of watching someone really surprised and blessed by receiving something neat I got them. In fact, I'd rather give to someone else and not get anything for myself, but then I deny the other person the joy of giving to me.

This year my father in law decided he doesn't want any gifts. Okay, I accept that. But it still makes me feel strange. I like to give gifts to others. And to deny that - well it can affect the other person too who wants to give. It makes that person look like they should be crowned and standing on some pedestal because THEy are refusing gifts this year. The humble pie thing doesn't look that humble, really.

It's a balancing act at times. Not to go overboard with the whole buying thing - but not to deny the gift of giving and receiving too if it brings joy to others.

Blissful
12-19-2007, 14:55
But I know what you mean about missing the trail. Life was so simple. Hike, eat, sleep, hike some more.

The other day we were planning when to go again, as my hubby wants to thru hike. And that is helping me a lot. I feel like I have another goal in mind. And it really helps.

Mrs Baggins
12-19-2007, 15:07
We planned for 4 years to do a thru-hike, sold a house, got rid of tons of stuff, put the rest in storage. My husband's employer sent us to Canada for a year, where we lived in a tiny apartment with only some clothes and what the apartment management supplied for linens and dishes. We finally set out on the AT but sadly didn't get very far. So we spent 3 months on the road driving to Alaska and back and living with just what we had in our van. Now we've been settled into a new house and have our stuff out of storage. After a year and a half of not seeing our stuff we were absolutely appalled! We had waaaay too much of everything! Far too much clothing, too much kitchen ware, too much STUFF that we had happily lived without for so long. We just stood in the middle of it all, lost in a sea of stuff. It's since found it's way all over the house and into various storage closets. And still we dream of the day we can get rid of it all and get back on the trail. We learned many lessons in our short time on the AT and the biggest of all was what we can do without.

DawnTreader
12-19-2007, 17:08
My dad asked me what he should get me for Christmas.. I handed him a MATC donation card I got in the mail... hopefully he makes a donation.. Every year we donate to charity for my dads present and I thought it was time I started looking past the material. Now if I can only convince my girlfriend.....

Lone Wolf
12-19-2007, 22:35
there's a 2 hour South Park Xmas special on right now. Comedy channel. that'll put y'all in the spirit. dradle, dradle, dradle :D

weary
12-19-2007, 23:13
Instead of buying useless crap let's put that money someplace it would do some good.......
Here's a suggestion: www.matlt.org

Weary

Skidsteer
12-19-2007, 23:21
there's a 2 hour South Park Xmas special on right now. Comedy channel. that'll put y'all in the spirit. dradle, dradle, dradle :D

A classic!

gold bond
12-20-2007, 10:07

It's Mr. Hanky.....Hi everybody!!:eek:

Peaks
12-20-2007, 10:18
Christmas means different things to different people.

For some, it's a time for annual giving to charities. There is always the need.

For some, it's gift giving. So, if you want to give back to the trail, put things like loppers, hazel hoes, etc. on the list.

And then there are the dreamers. Who wouldn't appreciate a guidebook and maps for a trail or adventure that you have been thinking about.

rafe
12-20-2007, 10:24
It's a time of year for.... eating too much. But then again, it's the winter solstice, and it's better to have too much food than not enough. Right?

mudhead
12-20-2007, 12:38
I got your too much food right here. And here. Chunk down over there, too.

Anyone ever agreed to not exchange gifts with a sweetheart, and then not had a backup stashed away? How did that work?

I like getting socks. But then, I have a thing for socks.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Bare Bear
12-20-2007, 15:16
I got things for those that needed them...but it was my choice, like hiking. Do what you feel is right. I hope all trail-heads have agreat 2008, I intend to. :)