PDA

View Full Version : hiking Mt Hood

Dingus Khan
12-19-2007, 14:49
I may be heading out to Portland OR for several months starting this Feb. I know this is a broad question but I have not been out there and do not know the area.
I am a moderately seasoned backpacker and do not aspire to any mountaineering feats just yet either.
That being said, is Hood hikeable in spring without the typical mountaineering gear? (ropes,harnesses,pickaxes,crampons etc)

I know it's only 12k feet but each mtn has it's own personality and skill level. Somehow I doubt this is just a higher Washington.

Any criticism? experiences? warnings?

rafe
12-19-2007, 14:58
I haven't climbed Mt. Hood but I've skied it. It gets less a bit less snow nowadays than it used to. When you "climb" Mt. Hood you're starting from 8000-9000 feet, which is where the ski areas are (Timberline or Mt. Hood Meadows.) This is way beyond anything you'll find on the AT. You will be hiking in deep snow. I imagine crampons and ice axe at the very least. Dense fog and cloud is another very real possibility.

There are nice (non-technical) hikes to be had in southern Washington, eg. around Mt. Adams (http://www.terrapinphoto.com/mt_adams_greenlake.html).

taildragger
12-19-2007, 15:03
ask over at www.nwhikers.net its in the backyard for them

Dingus Khan
12-19-2007, 17:03
thanks, dragger, great link

4eyedbuzzard
12-19-2007, 17:49
I may be heading out to Portland OR for several months starting this Feb. I know this is a broad question but I have not been out there and do not know the area.
I am a moderately seasoned backpacker and do not aspire to any mountaineering feats just yet either.
That being said, is Hood hikeable in spring without the typical mountaineering gear? (ropes,harnesses,pickaxes,crampons etc)

I know it's only 12k feet but each mtn has it's own personality and skill level. Somehow I doubt this is just a higher Washington.

You might want to look into a guided Mt Hood climb combined with a short basic mountaineering training course while out there. Sounds like a good opportunity to do something special like that.

Dingus Khan
12-19-2007, 22:58
yeah, definitively a great guided starter peak. A good confidence booster :)

Egads
12-19-2007, 23:12
There was still substantial amounts of snow on Hood this past July 4. It was passable in hiking shoes. I recommend an ice axe for self arrest in spring.

Be sure and hike the Eagle Creek Trail while you are there. I also recommend the Olympics.

Egads

amigo
12-20-2007, 00:01
I used to live in the shadow of Mt. Hood. It is definitely a technical climb. The mountain is huge compared to anything in the east, and there have been several deaths in recent years. Don't try it without a local guide and basic mountaineering skills.

rafe
12-20-2007, 00:11
Dingus... take a drive down to Bend and hike up South Sister. It's a good climb (5,000 feet from road to summit) and not technical. The summit's around 10,000 feet. Here's a view, from well below the summit, as I recall. You can do it as a day hike if you're fit.

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/south_sister_2.jpg

Dingus Khan
12-20-2007, 10:45
nice, they look great.
thanks for the advice amigo, i definitely would rather err on the side of caution. i will look into the guided climbs, especially since this would have likely been solo..

south sister eh? done- i'll throw it in my 50-hikes-for-dan-to-do list!

it looks as though the portland job may fall through. I also have a job offer in Puyallup (how DO you say that - is the Y a Y or pronounced as a W?) which is south of Seattle, i can't decide since the hours are 8 hour eve's and i am currently working 12 hour days, 3x/week - a much better schedule.

thanks for the info guys

Shutterbug
12-20-2007, 15:38

While you are in Portland, take the opportunity to climb Mt. St. Helens. It requires advance reservations, but is not a technical climb.

sarbar
12-26-2007, 21:34
nice, they look great.
thanks for the advice amigo, i definitely would rather err on the side of caution. i will look into the guided climbs, especially since this would have likely been solo..

south sister eh? done- i'll throw it in my 50-hikes-for-dan-to-do list!

it looks as though the portland job may fall through. I also have a job offer in Puyallup (how DO you say that - is the Y a Y or pronounced as a W?) which is south of Seattle, i can't decide since the hours are 8 hour eve's and i am currently working 12 hour days, 3x/week - a much better schedule.

thanks for the info guys

It is said "pew-al-up". Native word of course!

Having said that.....Puyallup is in its own world. It is old school Washington. On the other hand you are very close to Rainier!

sarbar
12-26-2007, 21:35
Also, Nwhikers is a great resource if you do move out this way. A lot of very nice people post there. It is also one of the best resources for trip reports and trail beta you can find in this area :)

chris
12-27-2007, 16:58

thanks for the info guys

Puyallup is a suburban wasteland. Maybe the worst example of sprawl in the area (I live close to it). However, it is close to lots of great outdoor stuff. I moved out here for that very reason after hiking the PCT. From Puyallup, you can be on the flanks of Rainier in an hour. You can be in the Olympics in slightly more.

Dingus Khan
12-28-2007, 21:30
thanks for the great info and advice guys, unfortunately i was not able to secure a position there, it was a night position (which i won't do) and have since resigned here out east.
I found out 2 days after I decided to stay here, that a former application to Sitka AK was finally processed and approved!
CRAP CRAP CRAP. I had the job!!

I've been slapping myself all day.

On the plus side, got another 12 miles of the AT done, all in all a good day :)