PDA

View Full Version : timex altimeters

ncmtns
12-19-2007, 15:15
I have searched high and low in gear reviews, etc and I cant find but one decent review on Timex altimeter/watches. Does anyone here own one of these?

shades of blue
12-19-2007, 15:20
I owned one, the wheel that changes between altimeter, time and other features rusted and the locking mechanism that allows it to stay on one feature died. It was a good watch before these happenings. It lasted around 3 years or so. I have a casio pathfinder now and it does well. You will find some other threads about sunuto (spelling) altimeters that do well.

max patch
12-19-2007, 15:31
I had a Casio which was surprising accurate.

Tin Man
12-19-2007, 23:58
I have searched high and low in gear reviews, etc and I cant find but one decent review on Timex altimeter/watches. Does anyone here own one of these?

I have a Timex Helix, which includes an altimeter, barometer, thermometer, chronometer, timer, alarm and even tells time. I would rate it poor. The thermometer is accurate within 4-5 degrees and takes a whopping 20 minutes to get to ambient temp once you take it off your wrist. The barometer is off, but it will tell you if pressure is rising or falling. The altimeter is accurate if you calibrate it at a known elevation and factor in a fudge factor of 20-30%. The chronometer, timer and alarm all work.

Deadeye
12-20-2007, 09:34
I have a Timex Helix, which includes an altimeter, barometer, thermometer, chronometer, timer, alarm and even tells time. I would rate it poor. The thermometer is accurate within 4-5 degrees and takes a whopping 20 minutes to get to ambient temp once you take it off your wrist. The barometer is off, but it will tell you if pressure is rising or falling. The altimeter is accurate if you calibrate it at a known elevation and factor in a fudge factor of 20-30%. The chronometer, timer and alarm all work.

I have the same. My results were a little more satisfying, and it was cheap (from Campmor). I leave it in the pocket of my hip belt, so it wasn't affected by my body heat. I had much better results than Tin Man, say +/- 10% or less with the altimeter. Close enough for my purposes. I suspect you get what you pay for.

Mocs123
12-20-2007, 12:55
I have a Highgear Alterra? that I bought off Steep and Cheep. So long as you calibrate it at the trail head, the altemeter is supprisingly accurate. The Thermometer is accurate as long as it is NOT on your wrist (a watch thermometer that has to be off your wrist-go figure), and the compass is good for quick general direction glances.

El Burro
12-20-2007, 14:43
You have to set your altimeter to “local barometric pressure” which changes from place to place and over time. If you don’t know the barometric pressure you can set it at a known altitude, but over a period of the time the pressure may rise or fall changing your altitude. I know that when flying an aircraft center can give you local pressure but not sure how you can get it hiking.

Deadeye
12-20-2007, 15:43
You have to set your altimeter to “local barometric pressure” which changes from place to place and over time. If you don’t know the barometric pressure you can set it at a known altitude, but over a period of the time the pressure may rise or fall changing your altitude. I know that when flying an aircraft center can give you local pressure but not sure how you can get it hiking.

I doubt many wearable altimeters have that kind of capacity. The Helix sure didn't - you could set the altimeter at a known elevation, that's it.

NICKTHEGREEK
12-21-2007, 17:09
Timex does a reasonable job with time. That's it.

Frosty
12-21-2007, 17:39
The altimeter is accurate if you calibrate it at a known elevation and factor in a fudge factor of 20-30%. I have a Timex, $60 at Campmor, but very different results.

Are you sure about your numbers? 30% is quite a bit, plus or minus 1200 feet when you are standing at 4000 feet. Do you mean that if you calibrate your altimeter at 4000 feet, the best it wil do is read 2800 feet to 5200 feet. That's 30%, and it is pretty hard to swallow.

Once I calibrate my altimeter with a known altitude, it stays within 20-30 feet of elevation, not 20-30%. I've rarely had to recalibrate at summits. The trailhead calibration is usually still good to 20-30 feet.

Even when I forget to calibrate my altimeter at the trailhead at the summit, it is almost never off by more than a couple hundred feet, and the changes in elevation as you climb still tell you how much you've climbed or descended.

One caveat: you can't wear the watch and check temperatures, but I'm generally only interested in temps at night, so that isn't an issure for me.

I have it read time and altitude when hiking, and at night have it read time and temp.

I've had it for about four years and am still on the orginal battery.

Frosty
12-21-2007, 17:49
You have to set your altimeter to “local barometric pressure” which changes from place to place and over time. You actually set the watch to read the altitude at a known location, which has the same effect. If the trail head is 1800 feet, you set the watch to read 1800 feet.

over a period of the time the pressure may rise or fall changing your altitude. I know that when flying an aircraft center can give you local pressure but not sure how you can get it hiking. When you are flying, you are changing localities by many miles, and that is why the pressure changes so much. In the same general area, barometric pressure changes less than you'd imagine. Once set at a trailhead, you are good unless a LOT of time passes or you are hiking at 200 mph. When you get to the summit, you can check to see if the reading is accurate. It usually is to 20-30 feet. If you are carrying a map, you can re-calibrate at trail junctions, and other places where you know your location, but it is very rarely necessary.

Two Speed
12-21-2007, 17:56
Gonna pick at you on one point, Frosty. If the barometric pressure is changing rapidly the accuracy of a barometric altimeter will go to pot pretty quickly. Of course, if the barometric pressure is changing that quickly a smart hiker ain't gonna be putzing around with his/her altimeter, they're gonna be makin' tracks for lower elevation.

double d
12-21-2007, 19:01
Frosty, what Timex style watch did you buy from the one and only Campmor for $60? I'm in the market for a timex watch with the features you wrote about.

Tin Man
12-21-2007, 20:23
I have a Timex, $60 at Campmor, but very different results.

Are you sure about your numbers? 30% is quite a bit, plus or minus 1200 feet when you are standing at 4000 feet. Do you mean that if you calibrate your altimeter at 4000 feet, the best it wil do is read 2800 feet to 5200 feet. That's 30%, and it is pretty hard to swallow.

Once I calibrate my altimeter with a known altitude, it stays within 20-30 feet of elevation, not 20-30%. I've rarely had to recalibrate at summits. The trailhead calibration is usually still good to 20-30 feet.

Even when I forget to calibrate my altimeter at the trailhead at the summit, it is almost never off by more than a couple hundred feet, and the changes in elevation as you climb still tell you how much you've climbed or descended.

One caveat: you can't wear the watch and check temperatures, but I'm generally only interested in temps at night, so that isn't an issure for me.

I have it read time and altitude when hiking, and at night have it read time and temp.

I've had it for about four years and am still on the orginal battery.

I am glad to hear you get better results with the altimeter. It is usually off by 20% for me, but it has been off by more. It tells time though and the battery is 4 years old. Too much accurate data takes the adventure out of the hike anyway. :)

Frosty
12-21-2007, 21:54
I am glad to hear you get better results with the altimeter. It is usually off by 20% for me, but it has been off by more. I would return it. Once you calibrate it, it should stay accurate except for barometric changes, which will NOT yield a 20% change in a few hours. Depending on altitude, 20% means you could be off 1,000 feet in either direction (high or low). That's totally unsat.

Frosty
12-21-2007, 22:01
Frosty, what Timex style watch did you buy from the one and only Campmor for $60? I'm in the market for a timex watch with the features you wrote about.Would it help if I told you the strap was gray? It's in my attic in a bin of backpacking gear right now.

I've had it four years, but with electronics you never know if prices go up or down with time.

Here's a Campmor one better than mine:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39202684

(mine doesn't graph altitude changes or display barometric pressure)

double d
12-21-2007, 23:28
Frosty, thanks for your help and the link, gotta love Campmor, great company.

Wise Old Owl
12-22-2007, 20:21
Based on real world experience,

I purchased several Timex watches with the digital compass. after a month of ownership the unit pointed SE pernamently. They are nothing short of Chinese junk. Return it.

On a side note the new HCX Vista fromGarmin has a barometer/alt with other features. Can't beat it.

Sly
12-22-2007, 21:28
I've seen some Timex' altimeters start at 2300'. Obviously that's not going to be very good on the AT.

Sly
12-22-2007, 21:31
Timex sucks? When I'm not using a Suunto altimeter on the trail, I wearing a cheap $20 watch, that's 8 years. It's only used a couple batteries, keeps very accurate time and keeps on ticking!

Lone Wolf
12-22-2007, 21:35
Based on real world experience,

I purchased several Timex watches with the digital compass. after a month of ownership the unit pointed SE pernamently. They are nothing short of Chinese junk. Return it.

On a side note the new HCX Vista fromGarmin has a barometer/alt with other features. Can't beat it.

shoulda got a compass. a watch is a watch and why buy 3 if the first fked up

Blissful
12-22-2007, 21:38
Timex sucks? When I'm not using a Suunto altimeter on the trail, I wearing a cheap $20 watch, that's 8 years. It's only used a couple batteries, keeps very accurate time and keeps on ticking!

My hubby has the altimeter watch which he loves. Got it off of SAC. They have been posting it recently for about $48.

Me, I have my $5 one from Wal mart I got while at Hot Springs. Still ticking.

Frosty
12-24-2007, 23:33
Frosty, what Timex style watch did you buy from the one and only Campmor for $60? I'm in the market for a timex watch with the features you wrote about.

Would it help if I told you the strap was gray? It's in my attic in a bin of backpacking gear right now.If you are still interested, it's a Timex Helix A_B_T

double d
12-25-2007, 01:34
Thanks again Frosty, I'm gonna check it out, I've been looking for a watch that you wear.