PDA

View Full Version : tyvek propaganda

kayak karl
12-19-2007, 23:29
i've done my tests.
2 tyvek bags of water hanging up in my tub (not the river) one writing out, other in. no leakage in 3 days. other then what the E.I. Dupont famly tell us, does any one know why the writing must be out. other then it would be too costly to print on both sides. i had a rep come by a job and tell us the word TYVEK was upside down and would not be covered by warrenty:-? THINK about it,.
PS i found a paint that sticks to it. RUSTOLEUM FOR PLASTICS, anything else makes it a good carbon paper. try it, i know u will:D
now i can go stealth:banana
happy with any info:)

happy holidays
kayak

Crazy Larry #1
12-19-2007, 23:33
Tyvek is not propaganda...................

Tinker
12-19-2007, 23:43
i've done my tests.
2 tyvek bags of water hanging up in my tub (not the river) one writing out, other in. no leakage in 3 days. other then what the E.I. Dupont famly tell us, does any one know why the writing must be out. other then it would be too costly to print on both sides. i had a rep come by a job and tell us the word TYVEK was upside down and would not be covered by warrenty:-? THINK about it,.
PS i found a paint that sticks to it. RUSTOLEUM FOR PLASTICS, anything else makes it a good carbon paper. try it, i know u will:D
now i can go stealth:banana
happy with any info:)

happy holidays
kayak

So it probably won't make a good tent, then, seeing as it's a moisture barrier in the building world, and it's holding water for days, I can't see how some people say it's vapor permeable. Good ground cloth, though (or so I've heard).

kayak karl
12-19-2007, 23:43
Tyvek is not propaganda...................
i have a tyvek tarp, water bag, pack liner, tee-pee and am working on a tyvek kayak. the writing TYVEK does NOT have to be out. it works both ways.

kayak karl
12-19-2007, 23:49
So it probably won't make a good tent, then, seeing as it's a moisture barrier in the building world, and it's holding water for days, I can't see how some people say it's vapor permeable. Good ground cloth, though (or so I've heard).
and good tarp, would not seal myself in it.
but every post i read. WRITING OUT. yea, dupont wants that!
i have tried 8 forms of paint and stain. only a paint for plastic sticks.

kayak karl
12-19-2007, 23:51
i am responding to other Tyvek threads.

Tinker
12-19-2007, 23:53

Paint will make it heavier. There are lighter nylon fabrics available that are waterproof and have a camo print. Olive and brown are two colors available in silnylon that are relatively low impact, color wise, in the woods.

Crazy Larry #1
12-19-2007, 23:58
i have a tyvek tarp, water bag, pack liner, tee-pee and am working on a tyvek kayak. the writing TYVEK does NOT have to be out. it works both ways.
okay.............i was referring to "Tyvek" who hiked the trail this year..........:D

generoll
12-20-2007, 00:39
Tyvek Tipi? How'd you make it?

kayak karl
12-20-2007, 07:50
Tyvek Tipi? How'd you make it?
4- 9' by 9' by 9' triangles. tyvek taped at seams, cut hole in top of funnel and put around 8 bamboo poles. cut in door afterwards. my boss's kids and grand kids play in it. little charcole grill in center since hole in top acts as chimney. we were bored one day:)

gldwings1
12-20-2007, 08:28
That is awesome! What a great idea.

JAK
12-20-2007, 08:35
I dreamed one night I was a tyvek teepee.
Then I had a dream I was a tyvek wigwam.
Doctor says I'm two tents.

oldfivetango
12-20-2007, 08:47
Tyvek two aspirin and call him in the morning.
OFT

Crazy Larry #1
12-20-2007, 10:01
"What the Tyvek are you saying here anyway?"

RadioFreq
12-20-2007, 14:53
I like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYJy5bt7W0M

babbage
12-20-2007, 20:50
What freekin warranty? Was there really a tyvek rep out cruising and come by the job to tell someone that 'upside down' was a warranty violation. No way, dude. Unrealis:banana tic story. I have been building for:banana 20 years -- pre tyvek, even-- never heard of such a thing. Besides the tyvek rep would most likely deal with lumber yards and home improvement stores-- not out on a job in most cases.
The writing side out is an advertisement. The stuff is the same on both sides. :banana
Why does the writing on roof sheathing have to be on the bottom? So the inspector can see it when he walks through- not because the sheathing works better :banana that way.
Everyone asks this question and the answer is - they print on one side and want that side out - IT IS AN ADvertisement.

babbage
12-20-2007, 21:01
XIM is a primer we use that will alllmost bond to glass -- and it sets up fast -- and can be tinted. It is a primer and will allow any paint to bond to tyvek. :welcome
The question is - if the bosses kids and grand :welcome kids are playing in the teepee, then how old are the kids - I mean if they have kids (i.e. the Grand kids) they must be a little too old to play in a teepee. AND i would never ever let kids use a charc:banana oal grill under spun polyolefin - the burn team would have hell getting that melted mess out the kids skin. Never cook in a tyvek tent- :sun it will burn - try it- it burns and will not stop. :banana

kayak karl
12-20-2007, 22:12
I like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYJy5bt7W0M

i got tyvek, i got wood. cant wait till spring:banana:banana

russb
12-20-2007, 22:16

CAn't wait to see photos of the tyvek kayak... or is it just a "tyvak"?

kayak karl
12-20-2007, 22:55
What freekin warranty? Was there really a tyvek rep out cruising and come by the job to tell someone that 'upside down' was a warranty violation. No way, dude. Unrealis:banana tic story. I have been building for:banana 20 years -- pre tyvek, even-- never heard of such a thing. Besides the tyvek rep would most likely deal with lumber yards and home improvement stores-- not out on a job in most cases.
The writing side out is an advertisement. The stuff is the same on both sides. :banana
Why does the writing on roof sheathing have to be on the bottom? So the inspector can see it when he walks through- not because the sheathing works better :banana that way.
Everyone asks this question and the answer is - they print on one side and want that side out - IT IS AN ADvertisement.
it was a local suppy rep. (idiot) and yes your right about building, but... if you use it as a tarp, u do not have to ADvertize. it will not leak. READ the other tyvek posts, they all say it must have writing OUT, u agree it doesn't (thank you). they don't need to do that. also they said it can't be painted, and as u said it can (thank you). thank u for your post and backing me up.:banana

your questin about the tee-pee. only at picnics with adults there. they roasted hot dogs when it rained once. it was fun.

only 20 years, you don't know what u missed. do u remember no air tools, pay phones only, cinder block walls, hand dug footings, horsefeathers, perlins and horsehair plaster walls. those were the good days:rolleyes:

weary
12-20-2007, 23:34
I don't know whether Tyvek is a vapor barrier or not. But I doubt that just because it holds water means that it doesn't lets vapor through.

Weary

babbage
12-21-2007, 07:49
:banana I did back you up did'nt I ? The other posts are so irritating-- since the manufacturers recommendation should say 'Advertisement out' instead of 'writting side out' . Yeah I remember all that stuff. :banana I still do not allow air nailers for things such as framing and roofing. Those little wire nails that pnuematic nailers use are not as good in my opinion. :banana If someone came on my job and told me they were a 'rep' and that my tyvek was upside down (which it would not be, anyway) :banana I would still assume he or she was a poser. It just sounds, to me, that that person was blowing smoke up yours. Next time you see them you should ask to see their badge.:banana

JAK
12-21-2007, 08:37
So it probably won't make a good tent, then, seeing as it's a moisture barrier in the building world, and it's holding water for days, I can't see how some people say it's vapor permeable. Good ground cloth, though (or so I've heard).GOOD LIQUID BARRIER PROTECTION
Spunbonded Olefin with neither corona treatment nor antistatic agent (e.g., Style 1073B) has a hydrostatic head in excess of 50 in. (127 cm). If antistat is applied, the hydrostatic head will drop to 40-50 in. (102-127 cm). Corona treated and antistated Spunbonded Olefin (e.g., Style 1073D) has a hydrostatic head that is less than 15 in. (38 cm).

POROSITY
Compared with most textile fabrics, the air permeability of Types 10 and 14 is low. Moisture-vapor transmission is much higher than that of plastic films and similar to that of coated papers.

http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek/en_US/products/product_properties.html#barrier