PDA

View Full Version : Anybody sectioning over the hollerdays?

Bonehead
12-16-2003, 03:44
I'm thinking of shelter hopping for a few days, maybe a week. Start in the smokies or somewhere nearby. Anyone else?

A-Train
12-16-2003, 13:05
I'm thinking of shelter hopping for a few days, maybe a week. Start in the smokies or somewhere nearby. Anyone else?

Im heading out to hike Culvers Gap to Unionville in jersey/ny border over two days. Gonna take the opporunity to : 1-eat more at Worthingtons 2-check out shelters I skipped (rutherford and gren anderson and high point) 3- look for those bears I was promised in Jersey. Still have never seen a bear in 4000 miles give or take of hiking. And lasty just to enjoy the solitude of the AT in jersey in late December and walk off some of that x-mas food

Pabst
12-16-2003, 14:38
Myself and a few others buddies will be finishing up some missing teeth
Sam's Gap - Hot Springs, NC

MOWGLI
12-16-2003, 14:46
Im heading out to hike Culvers Gap to Unionville in jersey/ny border over two days. Gonna take the opporunity to : 1-eat more at Worthingtons 2-check out shelters I skipped (rutherford and gren anderson and high point) 3- look for those bears I was promised in Jersey. Still have never seen a bear in 4000 miles give or take of hiking.

I saw 2 bears in that section in 2000. One walked about 100' in front of me near the High Point Shelter. The bear was too busy looking for food, and didn't notice me. With last weeks hunt, there are now 328 fewer bears in NJ. December is also not the best time to see bears, particularly if there is a snap of cold weather. You still might get lucky.

Have a nice hike.

Bankrobber
12-16-2003, 15:45
A-Train,
I did not see any bears in New Jersey either. I was a little bitter. I saw some big animal walking around the backpacker's campsite a few miles out of Deleware Water Gap while I was going to sleep, but I can't tell for sure that it was a bear over a deer.
Watch out in those woods. The bear hunt may still be going on.

MOWGLI
12-16-2003, 16:43
Watch out in those woods. The bear hunt may still be going on.

The hunt is over.

sloetoe
12-18-2003, 11:56

Fontana (Saturday morning, please God)
to
Springer (New Year's Eve, please God and ButterSchnops)

That's the intention, anyway. Haven't done Fontana -> Standing Indian in 24 years, and heading right into Stechoah/Nantahala? I'm already practicing my whining....)

"Christmas is coming!
My foodbag's getting slack --
Please to put some goodies in the old man's pack
Please to put some magic in the old man's pack!"

Sloetoe
(temporarily, OhSanta bin Hikin)