PDA

View Full Version : Canada Lynx returning to Vermont

woodsy
12-20-2007, 08:52
Seeing one of these cats (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NNE_LYNX_RESURGENCE_NHOL-?SITE=NHCON&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT) is becoming slightly more possible in VT/NH and Maine. Snowshoe Hare (http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Lepus_americanus.html) is their favorite meal. I had a Snowshoe Hare bounding around in my front yard last summer like it was lost. Kind of funny as it leaped around like a Kangaroo. These guys get some air time.

At top speed, a snowshoe hare can travel up to 27 mile per hour. An adult hare can cover up to 10 feet in a single bound

neighbor dave
12-20-2007, 09:06
:-? mmmm. the earth is just wide open space. i get a kick out of when we as humans try to put a political branding on critters as if they might actually know what country they're from. kinda along the same lines as when one hears the chant" i'm proud to be an american". well that may be true, but are you north,central, or south "american"?:sun ;)

NICKTHEGREEK
12-20-2007, 09:19
:-? mmmm. the earth is just wide open space. i get a kick out of when we as humans try to put a political branding on critters as if they might actually know what country they're from. kinda along the same lines as when one hears the chant" i'm proud to be an american". well that may be true, but are you north,central, or south "american"?:sun ;)
The ones from Canada go meow-eh?

JAK
12-20-2007, 09:26
I always thought a Snowshoe Hare was the same as the Arctic Hare (Lepus arcticus), but I guess its the same as the Varying Hare (Lepus americanus). Thanks.

Lepus americanus would go " EH! MEOW! "... except they don't meow.

woodsy
12-20-2007, 09:31
I've found a couple of bodyless Hares or Rabbits around in the past. Just the head lay remaining on the snow/ground. I'm not sure if this is a cat trait or Owl.???? Wildlife experts please?

MOWGLI
12-20-2007, 09:40
I've found a couple of bodyless Hares or Rabbits around in the past. Just the head lay remaining on the snow/ground. I'm not sure if this is a cat trait or Owl.???? Wildlife experts please?

Clearly the hallmark of a Yeti. :eek:

On a similar note, back in the 80s I worked near the NJ Meadowlands. In a small town park in Leonia, NJ someone found 4 or 5 rabbits lined up with just their hearts removed. Local residents suspected devil worshipers, and it made the press. A stakeout by wildlife officials reveled the presence of a ravenous Great Horned Owl. Rabbits were so plentiful in the area that the owl was just eating select organs!

neighbor dave
12-20-2007, 17:44
The ones from Canada go meow-eh?

:-? yup and they're quite accomplished in snow travel as shown here in this documetary film:-?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTzOckNT6Sc

bmike
12-20-2007, 18:12
last winter i was backcounty xc skiing in N VT with a friend and we found what we thought were snowshoe hare tracks heading in our direction. after about 100 feet or so we just saw a hole in the snow, wingprints, and no more footprints. the wing span was probably 3 feet or so. absolutley beautiful prints of the wings.

an owl, we presume. snowshoe hare?

emerald
12-20-2007, 18:51

A recent article in The Reading Eagle indicated a red-bellied woodpecker head was found in the vicinity of a downtown church. Peregrines were suspected. Don't know who they worship.;)

woodsy
12-20-2007, 18:57
An online search for the culprit decapitating the poor bunnies and stealing their bodies today turned up nothing.
I suspect Barred Owls though as they've been seen and heard frequently in the area . :-?

emerald
12-20-2007, 19:05
I'd be more interested in whitefish, salmon or brook trout myself. I don't care for the heads either.

woodsy
12-20-2007, 19:08
I'd be more interested in whitefish, salmon or brook trout myself.
You've never had my slow-cooked Bunny stew:D

emerald
12-20-2007, 19:17
Am I to take what I just read as a dinner invitation?

mudhead
12-20-2007, 20:07

Long as you're not shacked with anyone that resembles Glenn Close, you're OK.

On a serious note: Do the crows clean them up? They eat anything here. (not baked beans, but you know, every other thing and roadkill.)

woodsy
12-20-2007, 21:15
It is if you can be here by tomorrow eve.;)

MH: On a serious note: Do the crows clean them up? They eat anything here. (not baked beans, but you know, every other thing and roadkill.)

You must have the same kind of crows I do. Ravens clean up too.

JAK
12-20-2007, 21:23
I've found a couple of bodyless Hares or Rabbits around in the past. Just the head lay remaining on the snow/ground. I'm not sure if this is a cat trait or Owl.???? Wildlife experts please?I'm wondering if in below freezing conditions when the body is found frozen as it usually is, if it is the practice of some trappers to remove the head and feet from bodies of varying hares when they are caught in snares. This would be to save weight. I understand you can't skin them right away when they are frozen, but you might still be able to remove the head and feet. Anyone?

emerald
12-20-2007, 22:49

It is if you can be here by tomorrow eve.;)

That's kind of you, but I don't believe in trail magic.:D

I thought I might still be a few mileposts shy of 27. Seems I've already passed beyond MAP. Is the Kennebec frozen at the crossing?:-?

woodsy
12-20-2007, 23:51
I'm wondering if in below freezing conditions when the body is found frozen as it usually is, if it is the practice of some trappers to remove the head and feet from bodies of varying hares when they are caught in snares. This would be to save weight. I understand you can't skin them right away when they are frozen, but you might still be able to remove the head and feet. Anyone?
I can say for certain that the rabbits i mentioned were not trapped. Both being on my woodland, with no human tracks besides mine. If someone has been on my turf besides me, I know.
An interesting bit of nature at work though isn't it?

That's kind of you, but I don't believe in trail magic.:D

I thought I might still be a few mileposts shy of 27. Seems I've already passed beyond MAP. Is the Kennebec frozen at the crossing?:-?

Have not been anywhere near the crossing lately but doubt it's frozen over yet as other rivers still have a channel open in the middle.
BTY, I don't do trail magic. :D

JAK
12-21-2007, 00:14
I can say for certain that the rabbits i mentioned were not trapped. Both being on my woodland, with no human tracks besides mine. If someone has been on my turf besides me, I know.
An interesting bit of nature at work though isn't it?Very interesting.
I see more clearly now why you suspect a bird of prey. A Snowy Owl perhaps. I wonder if they, for the same reason as the trapper, might sometimes rip off the head mid air while returning to their nest?

woodsy
12-21-2007, 00:20
Very interesting.
I see more clearly now why you suspect a bird of prey. A Snowy Owl perhaps. I wonder if they, for the same reason as the trapper, might sometimes rip off the head mid air while returning to their nest?
I don't eat rabbit head either! yuk

JAK
12-21-2007, 00:26
Have you read descriptions of the way owls eat?
yuk indeed

woodsy
12-21-2007, 00:29
Have you read descriptions of the way owls eat?
yuk indeed
I have, they eat it twice.:-?

JAK
12-21-2007, 01:33
At least by the second time its no longer kicking and screaming.

How much baby chuck can an Owl up chuck?

warraghiyagey
12-21-2007, 02:16
An online search for the culprit decapitating the poor bunnies and stealing their bodies today turned up nothing.
I suspect Barred Owls though as they've been seen and heard frequently in the area . :-?
It certainly smacks more of a carniverous qaudriped than it does of a bird of prey or scavener.

warraghiyagey
12-21-2007, 02:17
Scavenger. . . . I mean. A scavener is something completely different.:rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
12-21-2007, 02:55

Clearly the hallmark of a Yeti. :eek:

:D :) :) You slay me MOWGLI.

JAK
12-21-2007, 02:58
Scavenger. . . . I mean. A scavener is something completely different.:rolleyes:But there was snow about and he said there were no tracks. So perhaps it was a scavener. :)

tmdombrosk
12-21-2007, 03:06
Could it be El Chupacabra or is this a western thing?:cool:

JAK
12-21-2007, 03:17
Maybe not El Chupacabra in Vermont. Pomola maybe.

OK. This is just twisted.
http://www.sideshowworld.com/PPK20021%20march%20hare.JPG

warraghiyagey
12-21-2007, 03:17
But there was snow about and he said there were no tracks. So perhaps it was a scavener. :)
Birds leave tracks in the snow too. It wasn't a winged scavener.:p

warraghiyagey
12-21-2007, 03:19
Maybe not El Chupacabra in Vermont. Pomola maybe.

OK. This is just twisted.
http://www.sideshowworld.com/PPK20021%20march%20hare.JPG
That critter looks more like a baby catawampus.

emerald
12-21-2007, 07:35
BTY, I don't do trail magic. :D

Under those conditions, I could accept your generous offer. Regrettably, I must nevertheless decline due to the distance involved.:(

Do you prepare your slow-cooked bunny stew like Elmer Fudd? As I recall, he begins by kindling a wood fire under a large cast iron cauldron filled with water and then waits for a bunny. When a bunny shows wondering what's up, he extends a dinner invitation and suggests the bunny take a nice warm bath until dinner is served.

woodsy
12-21-2007, 08:25
You guys crack me up:)

woodsy
12-21-2007, 09:03
Maybe the Weasel is the culprit behind the mystery bodyless Rabbits , found this:

Weasels are known as being destructive poultry predators, but exactly how weasels kill chickens can often escape farmers since weasels will frequently kill many chickens in one night. Weasels attack at the back of the neck, and often will completely decapitate their prey.

Because Rabbit tastes like chicken, Weasels must like Rabbit too.

emerald
12-21-2007, 18:19
Do you prepare your slow-cooked bunny stew like Elmer Fudd? As I recall, he begins by kindling a wood fire under a large cast iron cauldron filled with water and then waits for a bunny. When a bunny shows wondering what's up, he extends a dinner invitation and suggests the bunny take a nice warm bath until dinner is served.

:::Be wewy, wewy quiet! I'm twying to twap a wabbit. If I'm weawy wucky, he'll bwing cawwots for dinnah too.:D:::

emerald
12-21-2007, 18:32
woodsy,

You know, I've always thought your wildlife threads are the best. I'm not sure I understand the point of your latest about Canada links.

I'd love to hike the International AT and I've said as much. Still, I don't understand why every time you've posted a link it's about wild cats rather than Canada.:confused:

Maybe I'm missing something.:o Do you think it would be a good idea to link the wikipedia entry for Canada?

Thanks,

Shades of Gray

mudhead
12-21-2007, 18:54
Canada links.

Reminds me of the first time I bought "hot dogs" in Canada. Grabbed one and started pulling, thinking 6 or 8 might be hooked together. Had about 15 draped over one arm, looking dumb when a guy in a white jacket pointed to the scissors, and said to cut what I needed. What a maroon. I really thought there was an end in there...

warraghiyagey
12-21-2007, 19:23
woodsy,

You know, I've always thought your wildlife threads are the best. I'm not sure I understand the point of your latest about Canada links.

I'd love to hike the International AT and I've said as much. Still, I don't understand why every time you've posted a link it's about wild cats rather than Canada.:confused:

Maybe I'm missing something.:o Do you think it would be a good idea to link the wikipedia entry for Canada?

Thanks,

Shades of Gray
The thread's about big cat's in the wild. . . not Canada.;)

woodsy
12-21-2007, 19:24
:::Be wery, wery quiet! I'm twying to twap a wabbit. If I'm weally lucky, he'll bwing cawwots for dinnah too.:D:::
You're a wascally wabbit SOG:rolleyes:

woodsy,

You know, I've always thought your wildlife threads are the best. I'm not sure I understand the point of your latest about Canada links. It's LYNX you nucklehead:D

I'd love to hike the International AT and I've said as much. Still, I don't understand why every time you've posted a link it's about wild cats rather than Canada.:confused: Canada Lynx, Canada Geese, Canada girls, Canada Falls, Canada Lilys, Canadain Ale, Canadian Lager, Canadian Club, heck, Maine should be part of Canada IMO.;) I know i forgot something Canada/Canadian

Thanks,

Shades of Gray

woodsy
12-21-2007, 19:30
Canada Jay, I knew there was more!

warraghiyagey
12-21-2007, 19:32
Canada Jay, I knew there was more!
Fed them out of my hand at Sabbath Pond and FullGoose. Opposite of a sin to me.
By the way Woodsy, that is a true bird story from me.:)

woodsy
12-21-2007, 21:26
Fed them out of my hand at Sabbath Pond and FullGoose. Opposite of a sin to me.
By the way Woodsy, that is a true bird story from me.:)

Finally a true bird story from Wargy:rolleyes:, but was it an Ivory billed Canada Jay or a common Canada Jay:-?
(http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16306&)

warraghiyagey
12-21-2007, 21:27
Finally a true bird story from Wargy:rolleyes:, but was it an Ivory billed Canada Jay or a common Canada Jay:-?
(http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16306&)
Of course they were Ivory billed.;)

woodsy
12-21-2007, 21:39
Speaking of big cats and Canada, just took a nightime ride on my Canada made Arctic Cat Panther looking for the elusive Canada Lynx on the back 40. Although no Lynx were sighted, plenty of bunnies hopping around looking for that hot bath SOG was talking about!

warraghiyagey
12-21-2007, 21:42
That Woodsy. . . always livin the life.

emerald
12-21-2007, 22:51
Speaking of big cats and Canada, just took a nightime ride on my Canada made Arctic Cat Panther looking for the elusive Canada Lynx on the back 40. Although no Lynx were sighted, plenty of bunnies hopping around looking for that hot bath SOG was talking about!

Does a Canada panther seen in Maine count as a Maine panther sighting?:-?

BTW Pennsylvania's panther made it's last stand near The Pinnacle of The Green Diamond at a place now known as Panther Spring. It's also true the only place on the A.T. a cougar sighting may be guaranteed is Cabela's.

woodsy
12-21-2007, 23:09
Shades of Gray;479919]Does a Canada panther seen in Maine count as a Maine panther sighting?:-? Yes

BTW Pennsylvania's panther made it's last stand near The Pinnacle of The Green Diamond at a place now known as Panther Spring. It's also true the only place on the A.T. a cougar sighting may be guaranteed is Cabela's.I know of a Panther that will cross the AT a few times this winter, I'll be riding on it, it doesn't meow, it purrrrrrs. It's Canadian

emerald
12-22-2007, 09:49
Might this Arctic Cat you mentioned also be called Catamount, Cougar and Painter or would only other models respond to those calls?

Does anyone else see in his or her mind's eye an image of Santa distributing gifts to the world's children not yet born on a sleigh pulled by big cats or is it still too early today for such imagery?

woodsy
12-22-2007, 10:02
Shades of Gray;480097]Might this Arctic Cat you mentioned also be called Catamount, Cougar and Painter or would only other models respond to those calls?The only other ones i'm familiar with besides the Arctic Cat Panther is the Arctic Cat Lynx and Arctic Cat Puma, they vary in size and CCs

Does anyone else see in his or her mind's eye an image of Santa distributing gifts to the world's children not yet born on a sleigh pulled by big cats or is it still too early today for such imagery?It is a little early still:D

For you nature/wildlife buffs, here's an interesting(i think)read on the important relationship between the Lynx & the Hare (http://lynx.uio.no/jon/lynx/cglynx2c.html)

On a Maine note: a former spokesperson for Maine dept of Fish & wildlife writes in a recent article that Lynx numbers in the state now in the 500-1000 range. Some northern area locals reporting more Lynx than deer in some townships.

mdionne
12-22-2007, 11:26
i'd bet it was a coyote. they are not one's to eat bone material. it's possible that it took the body elsewhere and ate the rest. owl's on the other hand swallow bone material and then eject it in a pellet form. i have heard of great horned owls moving in on large prey, such as small dogs so i certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of an owl. we also have snowy owls moving into the area this time of year.

as far as seeing a whole and wing prints around it...that's either a ruffed or spruce grouse. they bury under the snow in winter for warmth and when there is a predator near they will burst out of the snow and scare the crap out of you.

it's been a while since the last time i posted here, thanks for the interesting read...

woodsy
12-22-2007, 11:49
i'd bet it was a coyote. they are not one's to eat bone material. it's possible that it took the body elsewhere and ate the rest. owl's on the other hand swallow bone material and then eject it in a pellet form. i have heard of great horned owls moving in on large prey, such as small dogs so i certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of an owl. we also have snowy owls moving into the area this time of year.

as far as seeing a whole and wing prints around it...that's either a ruffed or spruce grouse. they bury under the snow in winter for warmth and when there is a predator near they will burst out of the snow and scare the crap out of you.

it's been a while since the last time i posted here, thanks for the interesting read...

Good to see you back, you're welcome.
Thanks for your insight into the investigation.