PDA

View Full Version : Potable Aqua tablets

J5man
12-20-2007, 19:13
:confused: I used these tablets for the first time yesterday during a day hike so I didn't really know what to expect. They were very dark gray in color (is that normal?) I put 1 tablet into my emptied half liter water bottle that was on me and filled it with water from a small pool in a very small creek. The creek water was clear but was not in a location where it was moving much. The treated water was a light brownish color (like very weak tea almost) after being in there one day. (I did not drink any of it the day of the hike, I was close the end of the trail and ended up not needing it). I tasted it today and it tasted better than it looked. Is this normal when you use potable aqua tablets? I thought it would have been clear.:confused:

Deadeye
12-20-2007, 19:35
The iodine tends to make the water, and your pee, slightly brown.

J5man
12-21-2007, 11:20
Thanks. Do many of you on here use these regulary or just as a back up to filters or the Aqua Mira product.

mountain squid
12-21-2007, 11:42
I use Aqua Mira. The set is good for 30 gl and should last approx 30 days on a long distance hike (you use town water, also).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Deadeye
12-21-2007, 13:41
Thanks. Do many of you on here use these regulary or just as a back up to filters or the Aqua Mira product.

I know some folks who do use it regularly, and others that have pretty serious side effects. If I'm using a chemical treatment at all, I use AquaMira. 99% of the time, I use a filter bottle (from AquaMira). Based on what I see in the woods, I'm in a minority - most folks seem to use the pump-style filters.

Dingus Khan
12-21-2007, 16:22
i have been using aqua mira tabs for a while now, i also have a hiker pro that i like but have ditched it for lighter and smaller drops.
there is talk regarding the safety of each, here is a really great site that someone else posted a while back;

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/wpd/CompareDevices.aspx

note: three checks is greatest level of confidence, see path. reduction ratings on left side of page for definitions.

when used properly, i think the drops end up being just as safe as the pump systems -- i.e.they are not expected to disinfect the floating terd which may arise -- which is where pumps make a dramatic difference.

hair
12-21-2007, 16:25
i use them. When then bottle runs out I'm switching to Aqua Mira. I was surprised at how the water looked, but I could hardly taste the iodine. I haven't exerienced any side effects, but the longest I've used it is three days.

Skidsteer
12-21-2007, 18:43
Adding ascorbic acid after 30 minutes will clear the water and improve the taste.

saimyoji
12-21-2007, 18:53
Use this one next time:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13585&memberId=12500226

Painted Turtle
12-21-2007, 19:42
Great layout lot of info

i have been using aqua mira tabs for a while now, i also have a hiker pro that i like but have ditched it for lighter and smaller drops.
there is talk regarding the safety of each, here is a really great site that someone else posted a while back;

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/wpd/CompareDevices.aspx

note: three checks is greatest level of confidence, see path. reduction ratings on left side of page for definitions.

when used properly, i think the drops end up being just as safe as the pump systems -- i.e.they are not expected to disinfect the floating terd which may arise -- which is where pumps make a dramatic difference.

greentick
12-21-2007, 20:54
I used them while in the Army without ill effects <twitch-twitch>, sometimes at double dosage. I have an original camelbak bladder that still carries the brown tint. The only thing I would caution is, if you are using them as backup, once the bottle has been opened carefully checking them before each trip. If they are grey and intact they're good to go. If they are starting to discolor or crumble replace them (IMO).

I use a pump and carry some katadyn tabs as backup. They are individually sealed.

Dingus Khan
12-22-2007, 07:10
anyone know where you can get the katadyn micropur tabs? i know you can order them but i like to see and touch prior to buying..

Skidsteer
12-22-2007, 10:53
anyone know where you can get the katadyn micropur tabs? i know you can order them but i like to see and touch prior to buying..

Seems like I've seen them at REI.

J5man
12-22-2007, 12:09
Great info everyone, thanks! Great chart, Dingus, a lot of helpful info in one place. I am going to try Aqua Mira next (hey if HikerHead uses that, it's got to be good) and the Katadyn tabs when not using my filter.

take-a-knee
12-22-2007, 12:16

Dick's carries them currently and Academy Sports has in the past, I don't know about now. They do have shelf life so take note when you buy.

greentick
12-22-2007, 12:52
... They do have shelf life so take note when you buy.

I use the Hiker Pro filter now and part of the post hike maintenance is to run a liter thru the filter with 2 of the tabs in that liters. Helps use them up before expiration. I got mine at REI off the shelf a couple of times. I am dropping a few ounces by switching to a ULA gravity filter that uses the same filter element (so I dont have to toss the one I just replaced in the hiker pro).

oops56
12-22-2007, 13:00
I just got these sounds good to me check it out

http://www.campingsurvival.com/popuwadi.html

take-a-knee
12-22-2007, 14:13
I use the Hiker Pro filter now and part of the post hike maintenance is to run a liter thru the filter with 2 of the tabs in that liters. Helps use them up before expiration. I got mine at REI off the shelf a couple of times. I am dropping a few ounces by switching to a ULA gravity filter that uses the same filter element (so I dont have to toss the one I just replaced in the hiker pro).

Excellent idea Todd, I'm sure you remember the lousy condition of the katadyn filters in our old unit. I remeber disassembling some "furry" filters. I always disasemble my filter when I return from a trip but I never considered running treated water through it.

Harry Cruise
12-22-2007, 17:55
Anyone here ever use graprefruit seed extract?
I have once or twice.

greentick
12-22-2007, 17:58
Excellent idea Todd, I'm sure you remember the lousy condition of the katadyn filters in our old unit. I remeber disassembling some "furry" filters. I always disasemble my filter when I return from a trip but I never considered running treated water through it.

Glen, I used one of those on my very first multiday AT hike and would you believe that it pumped about 3oz of water, locked up and refused to budge. I had bought the Micropurs as a back up and we used those until gone (no one else brought backup). Luckily we were stove fuel heavy so we were able to boil plenty at the end of the day to conserve tabs and get in a good hike. I had disassembled the thing pretrip an all looked well.

The hiker pro post hike maintenance calls for (I think) 2 tabs or X amount of household bleach mixed in a liter. You then let it air dry. The first liter thru after that you pump and dump.

take-a-knee
12-22-2007, 22:19
Anyone here ever use graprefruit seed extract?
I have once or twice.

I've heard it's supposed to have some good antimicrobial properties, but like a lot of natural stuff getting an effective dose is problematic. It might have a lot of preventative uses, I don't know. I don't think I'd trust it for water purification.