PDA

View Full Version : alternative to sleeping bag??

rob123ufl
12-21-2007, 02:34
so i've been on a tireless and never-ending search to find the perfect sleeping bag for my trek, and I had a sort of epiphany. I am hoping to get some thoughts on my idea. I recently purchased a hooded compressor from Mountain Hardwear (its a nice synthetic insulated jacket, etc.). It comes with accompanying pants, which i havent yet purchased. BUT, my idea was to forego the sleeping bag altogether and just perhaps sleep in that insulated outfit, properly layered, perhaps with a liner on the outside for traditions sake. I was thinking i could wear some capilene, perhaps a midweight layer and then the insulation, and then a goretex package (gtx pants from MH and have yet to buy the top). Anyways, any thoughts on this or people who have tried it?

Jim Adams
12-21-2007, 02:51
good question.
I've considered a down jacket and pants over smartwool and micro fleece inside of a bivy...haven't tried it though. I have been under a tarp at -22* and not cold but you would have to be under either a tarp on in a tent or shelter for rain...you would get too wet with just a bivy.

geek

Tinker
12-21-2007, 02:56
Sure. There's no rule saying that you have to use a sleeping bag!
In the summer I rarely take a bag when using my hammock. A light jacket for the upper body and a vest for the feet suffices most of the time. In colder weather you could (and many have) wear warm clothes in a good bivy. Just make sure you have a good pad between you and terra firma.

JAK
12-21-2007, 03:07
Clothes and shelter are definitely part of the entire package. The things you have to consider are stuff like how much colder will it be at night; how much wind exposure will be a factor; how much clear night sky versus clear sunlight; how much more active you intend to by day versus night; also wet climate versus dry climate and how that effects your daytime clothing choices. I'm not an alpine guy by any means, but I think alot of those type solutions work better someplaces than others. You can certainly include any or all of those ideas in your system. You just gotta consider and test all the angles.

trailfoot
12-21-2007, 12:47
How about a quilt?

JAK
12-21-2007, 13:10
Also,

Blanket, Kilt, Poncho, ...

:-?

Huskies.

ScottP
12-21-2007, 13:11
Mountaineers sleep in thier down jackets and an 'elephant's foot'- a half sleeping bag that covers thier legs (check out http://www.nunatakusa.com/).

that being said, I'm sure thatthere's a host of reasons that mountaineers use this setup and thru-hikers don't.

hopefulhiker
12-21-2007, 13:14
I have seen those half sleeping bags too meant for use with a fluffy jacket...

Hooch
12-21-2007, 13:32
Have you thought about a Ray-Way quilt (http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/quilt/index.htm)?

sparky2000
12-21-2007, 13:50
Volume and weight - the sum of each. Bags are made fairly small and light. The snowman outfits have their place but as you roll around at night do they loose their fluff?

ScottP
12-21-2007, 16:29
Don't forget cost, and the fact that you'll have to carry the parka, because you sure won't be hiking in one.

saimyoji
12-21-2007, 17:28
Don't forget the old "mittens vs. gloves" conundrum. Ok not really a conundrum, but....

you warm your fingers more quickly when they can heat each other, as opposed to each being in its own insulating compartment. Same thing with a sleeping bag. For the weight, a sleeping will be much more effective at warming you. The idea of a half bag is a good one that still follows this idea. Keep in mind that its only the AT, not alpine mtneering.

Colter
12-22-2007, 09:58
Anyways, any thoughts on this or people who have tried it?

It's a good idea, but not one you're likely to stick with if you try it. I can speak from experience, because I've spent many hours/nights sleeping on the ground in my clothing while firefighting.

As mentioned, to stay warm enough you'll have to carry a lot more clothing than you would need for just hiking. More clothing is more weight. Plus, one of the big advantages of a sleeping bag is it's a "body mitten." Just like a mitten is much warmer than a glove, a sleeping bag is warmer than conventional clothing because your torso can help heat up your feet, etc.

Wearing the clothing you already have inside your bag can help a lot to keep you warm, and will allow you to bring a lighter sleeping bag.

Colter
12-22-2007, 10:00
Don't forget the old "mittens vs. gloves" conundrum. Ok not really a conundrum, but....

I guess someone had already said it!

4eyedbuzzard
12-22-2007, 10:12
The other considerations in addition to the "mittens are warmer", is that your sleeping bag will always be dry and at the ready in an emergency situation because you carry it in a waterproof stuff sack or trash bag. If you wear your jacket and pants and try to get double duty out of them there is the possibility that they will be wet when you need them most. Also, for equivalent warmth, jacket and pants will be heavier, as they need more loft, more fabric, seams, etc. You'll still need a sleeping pad, and will also need booties, mittens, and possibly headwear, etc.