PDA

View Full Version : Outfitters in Northern/Eastern Massachusetts

Trillium
12-21-2007, 10:13
We are leaving today to visit our daughter in Lowell, Massachusetts. I need recommendations on a very good outfitter as I need to purchase some gear. I need to be fitted for a pack and from all the reading I have done, it appears to be important to get a pack that is fitted by a professional.

TIA.

DCHiker
12-21-2007, 10:42
Just head up to EMS in either Burlington, MA Near the Burlington Mall) or Nashua, NH (Daniel Webster Highway). There's also an REI in Reading, MA which is a little further

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2007, 10:48
FWIW, no sales tax in New Hampshire. MA is 5%.

rafe
12-21-2007, 11:13
The EMS in Burlington is about 2 miles from my house. It's nearly worthless. The REI in Reading is much better. I really hate to badmouth EMS; they used to be wonderful. A lot of bright shiny things there, and fancy name-brand clothing. Nothing I really need or want.

Yukon
12-21-2007, 11:17
Yeah, definately hit up EMS Nashua NH :)

pitdog
12-21-2007, 11:20
I like REI in redding,they have a huge selection.

Trillium
12-21-2007, 11:59
thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm not adverse to driving 30+ miles from Lowell to go to a good outfitter. we'll be in Boston on Sunday as well.

Mooselook Marty
12-21-2007, 12:20
If you are in downtown Boston, try Hiltons' Tent City. They are excellent and prices are always competitive.
http://hiltonstentcity.com/

rafe
12-21-2007, 14:39
If you are in downtown Boston, try Hiltons' Tent City. They are excellent and prices are always competitive.
http://hiltonstentcity.com/

Well, if you're in downtown Boston, you might try the original EMS store. It was pretty cool.... back in the day.

Peaks
12-23-2007, 17:17
There are several EMS stores in Eastern Mass. Obviously the staff is better at some than at others.

REI has stores in Framinham, Reading, Boston, and now Hingham (I think).

Local outfitters include New England Backpacker in Worcester.

LL Bean is now in Burlington. Outlet stores in Nashua and Manchester NH.

No sales tax in Mass on clothing and some footwear. No sales tax on everything in New Hampshire.

CoyoteWhips
12-23-2007, 17:25
LL Bean is now in Burlington. Outlet stores in Nashua and Manchester NH.

I visited the LL Bean Outlet in Nashua recently. Pretty disappointing. Just odds and ends tossed in big boxes or all jumbled together on hangers. I know it's just an outlet, but if they'd had it all in a big pile in the middle of the floor, it'd have been only a little less organized.

rickb
12-23-2007, 18:15
If you happen to be in the vicinity of Boston University, these guys would be a great bet.

http://www.wildernesshouseboston.com/about.html

They are something of an institution.

You can walk across the street to EMS. Park once, visit both.

RickB

Blue Jay
12-23-2007, 18:35
Ems no longer an outfitter in any sense of the word. It's a sporting goods store, trying to be the Gap.

Tinker
12-23-2007, 21:11
PREPARE TO RUN!!!!!:D

Really, though, some of the folks I worked with in 1986-8 are still there.
They are a very large store with a huge choice of gear. Worth the trip down I-93.

Peaks
12-24-2007, 09:05
Ems no longer an outfitter in any sense of the word. It's a sporting goods store, trying to be the Gap.

I think that EMS went through a phase where they were more fashion than function. However, I think the store is still worth a look. They carry the typical outfitter stuff. Over the past year, I've bought a couple of packs there (day pack and backpack). And I like their cold weather clothing. So, it all depends on what you are looking for.