PDA

View Full Version : Did REI drop Hennessey?

kwpapke
12-21-2007, 11:29
I've been carefully using my shiny new REI VISA card and taking pains to buy needed stuff from REI to bank enough of a rebate to buy a Hennessey hammock this Spring.

Searching "Hennessey" now brings up nothing, and a search on "hammock" shows some Byer gear, but no longer any Hennessey stuff:mad:

Does anyone know if REI has completely dropped Hennessey hammocks? Sure looks like it.

-kurt

Cannibal
12-21-2007, 11:59
I saw some at the REI in Austin, TX last month. I'll never spend another dime on Hennessy stuff, but they are a great and easy way to get into hanging. Shame if they decided to quit stocking them, but I suspect it has more to do with the Hennessys than it does REI.

Grandma
12-21-2007, 12:41
I have seen them in my local REI. Maybe they don't carry them online anymore?

Heater
12-21-2007, 13:34
I saw some at the REI in Austin, TX last month. I'll never spend another dime on Hennessy stuff, but they are a great and easy way to get into hanging. Shame if they decided to quit stocking them, but I suspect it has more to do with the Hennessys than it does REI.

Hope you enjoyed your time in Austin. :)

Cannibal
12-21-2007, 14:13
Hope you enjoyed your time in Austin. :)

Always! Even had some good cold weather over Thanksgiving for some testing. :)

Bearpaw
12-21-2007, 14:29
It's all about cycles.

Just because it's not offerred online at the moment doesn't mean it won't be back. REI distribution centers are BIG, but they can still only hold a certain amount of stuff. So any thing that is "seasonal" is not kept in the DC. Hammocks are likely considered a warmer weather shelter that will turn up again in March for sale.

If HH has trouble supplying them in large numbers, they will also go away for a while. (REI makes some of the profits that members earn through their dividends by buying in larger numbers.) The MSR Hubba Hubba disappeared company wide for about six months when MSR changed the design. Until MSR could make enough to supply our many stores, REI didn't carry it. But again, it came back.

I'm not saying you'll definitely see the Hennessy Hammock again on REI.com, but I'd be willing wager a hypothetical soda on it.

leejhess
12-21-2007, 14:44
REI still has them online, I just bought one yesterday.

Lee - STL

Miu
12-21-2007, 14:54
I've seen them at REI in North Austin, but the one downtown doesn't carry them. It's weird that nothing comes up when you search online, though.

johnny quest
12-21-2007, 15:04
they always have like one hh at the north austin rei.

...so if there are that many whiteblazers hanging out at the rei in austin, why dont we have monthly meetings over at the cold stone?

Machine
12-21-2007, 18:50
REI's website will only show inventory for the distribution center in Seattle, it doesn't reflect inventory at the store level.

whitefoot_hp
12-21-2007, 20:16
I've been carefully using my shiny new REI VISA card and taking pains to buy needed stuff from REI to bank enough of a rebate to buy a Hennessey hammock this Spring.

Searching "Hennessey" now brings up nothing, and a search on "hammock" shows some Byer gear, but no longer any Hennessey stuff:mad:

Does anyone know if REI has completely dropped Hennessey hammocks? Sure looks like it.

-kurt
stuff thats on the website isnt always in the store. it may go the other way. it could not be on website but be in store.

JF2CBR
12-29-2007, 16:39
Well, I can tell you for sure that at least on a company wide basis, REI still sells Hennessey hammocks. I work in recieving at the Bedford, Pa REI distribution center and we just recieved a shipment the other day.

JF2

ki0eh
12-31-2007, 09:11
Well, I can tell you for sure that at least on a company wide basis, REI still sells Hennessey hammocks. I work in recieving at the Bedford, Pa REI distribution center and we just recieved a shipment the other day.

And folks there can take it out on Mid State Trail to do a lot of hanging. Hanger's paradise, very easy to find the right size rock between your trees to lay your feet on in the morning. :D

(Just make sure you learn your knots well... and not wake up with a back-scratcher...)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-31-2007, 09:17
I've noticed the HH don't sell as quickly when they pop up in the 'for sale' area here and are going for less on E-bay - and having fewer bids. Maybe they just aren't as popular these days? Gear brands come and go - HH is more of a niche company than a mainstream manufacture and large companies like REI tend to drop those when they fall from favor among consumers.

Just Jeff
12-31-2007, 09:43
It's winter...folks don't buy many hammocks in winter. I bet they'll pick up again in Mar/Apr.

sarbar
12-31-2007, 11:49
REI's website will only show inventory for the distribution center in Seattle, it doesn't reflect inventory at the store level.
Not to pick bones but it is actually Sumner, Washington....quite a far distance from Seattle ;)

kwpapke
01-03-2008, 13:24
Thanks everyone for your responses. FWIW, the REI.COM website still shows no Hennessey's, though there is plenty of Byer and Eno hammock gear listed. I considered the "its the offseason" argment before I posted my query, but discounted it due to the other hammock gear still being sold on the website. I guess I'll just have to hold my breath until the dividend is distributed.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-03-2008, 13:36
My guess is that HH just weren't selling well enough and once what is on-hand is sold, HH will disappear from REIs.

HH used to be 'the' backpacking hammock; Now it is just one of several good backpacking hammocks available. Personally, I consider the bottom-slit entry design to be OK for beginners who plan to buy the whole HH kit (Major $$$s :eek: ), but very limiting for the more experienced hiker. You can't leave off the bugnet when bugs aren't a problem and it limits what you can do with over and under insulation. Give me a side entry hammock with a detachable bugnet any day - way more versatile.

take-a-knee
01-03-2008, 13:48
I've noticed the HH don't sell as quickly when they pop up in the 'for sale' area here and are going for less on E-bay - and having fewer bids. Maybe they just aren't as popular these days? Gear brands come and go - HH is more of a niche company than a mainstream manufacture and large companies like REI tend to drop those when they fall from favor among consumers.

NOTHING is selling well on ebay, gas is up, disposable income is down.

neo
01-03-2008, 14:00

i will never spend another dime on hennessey hammocks either,i quit using their stuff a couple years ago.i prefer the claytor jungle hammock:cool: neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

Nightwalker
01-05-2008, 02:13
My guess is that HH just weren't selling well enough and once what is on-hand is sold, HH will disappear from REIs.

HH used to be 'the' backpacking hammock; Now it is just one of several good backpacking hammocks available. Personally, I consider the bottom-slit entry design to be OK for beginners who plan to buy the whole HH kit (Major $$$s :eek: ), but very limiting for the more experienced hiker. You can't leave off the bugnet when bugs aren't a problem and it limits what you can do with over and under insulation. Give me a side entry hammock with a detachable bugnet any day - way more versatile.

Guess I'm just a rookie. I still like my 2 Hennesies. :)

HikerRanky
01-05-2008, 13:06
There could be other reasons why the HH aren't showing up much in REI.... Anybody thought about the exchange rate being a factor between Canada and USA?

A business like REI I would imagine would keep a close eye on what a product costs to get.... With the global economy slowing down, the exchange rates will go up.... hence it would cost more for REI to get the HH product here in the USA....

Just a guess... I do not work for either company....

I will however say that I am now the proud owner of a HH Deluxe Expedition hammock, courtesy of Redick1955... Pitched it last night, put my bag and pad in it, and slept like a baby.... MUCH more comfortable than sleeping on the cold hard ground....

Randy

Chicken Feathers
01-08-2008, 23:53
Have you checked Atlanta Stores HH is holding it's own at REI:-?

hoodoo40
01-13-2008, 16:23
It on their site today. Did a search for hammock.

http://www.rei.com/product/696121

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-13-2008, 16:31
Do they only sell the Expedition A-sym from the HH line :confused: That's the only one listed.

earthbound
01-13-2008, 16:54
I know there are other Hennessey hammocks besides that one FD mentioned. I believe that there is a backpacker one too and maybe another. If your REI doesn't have it and it isn't online then go to the store and request that they look it up in the system and you can have it shipped to your REI from another one. You have to pay for shipping if you do that, but you can still obtain what you want.

FanaticFringer
01-13-2008, 18:32
She uses a bridge hammock last I heard. Speaking of that....FD you need to jumpstart that double bridge thread again on hammockforums.net
That was a cool idea. I like my JRB bridge but am starting to build me a bigger one. www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2788&highlight=bridge+hammock

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-13-2008, 18:42
She uses a bridge hammock last I heard. Speaking of that....FD you need to jumpstart that double bridge thread again on hammockforums.net
That was a cool idea. I like my JRB bridge but am starting to build me a bigger one. www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2788&highlight=bridge+hammock (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2788&highlight=bridge+hammock)
Dinos do not use HH (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=784&highlight=traumatized)