PDA

View Full Version : not-to-miss list?

johnny quest
12-21-2007, 17:33
i couldnt find this addressed elsewhere. what are the not-to-miss "attractions" of the at? im talking views, side trips, hostels, etc.

Hooch
12-21-2007, 17:36
i couldnt find this addressed elsewhere. what are the not-to-miss "attractions" of the at? im talking views, side trips, hostels, etc.McAffee Knob and they say the view from atop Katahdin is quite spectacular, especially at the and of a NOBO thru. :D

Hooch
12-21-2007, 17:36
McAffee Knob and they say the view from atop Katahdin is quite spectacular, especially at the and of a NOBO thru. :DAnd Max Patch

rafe
12-21-2007, 18:03
Way too many to list, but the views (IMO) definitely get better as you get into NH and ME, and it all just seems to peak between Monson and Katahdin. Lakes, river crossings, you name it. Hostels: FreeState Hiker Hostel in MD is by far the classiest I've seen; new this year, and run by a 2006 thru-hiker and his wife. In Harpers Ferry, the Hilltop Hotel offers a wee hint of 19th century elegance (and a wicked view) even if it is a bit run-down. The Doyle of course is not to be missed. :D

johnny quest
12-21-2007, 18:13
ok, so frestate hiker hostel, hilltop hotel, the doyle....

rafe
12-21-2007, 18:19
How could I forget: Sunnybank Inn (Elmer's place) in Hot Springs. Unique.

Bootstrap
12-21-2007, 18:32
The area between 19E and Carver's Gap, with a side trip to Grassy Ridge Bald. Spectacular views from Doll Flats to Carver's Gap.

Jonathan

sloopjonboswell
12-21-2007, 18:38
do the knife edge off of katahdin

warraghiyagey
12-21-2007, 19:24
Monson.:)

River Runner
12-21-2007, 23:41
Don't miss out on visiting the Hiker Hostel off Woody Gap (they are there at a certain time daily to pick up hikers) - it's a very nice hostel & they are great hosts; also Ron Haven's place in Franklin - the motel isn't fancy, but it's clean, and Ron has the most fascinating stories. If you get a chance to have him shuttle you around, you will learn a lot about the area and it's stories.

TOW
12-21-2007, 23:44
Monson.:)
and right north of there greenville, me and moosehead lake.............;)

TOW
12-21-2007, 23:45
Whites Camping Wilderness

Smile
12-21-2007, 23:49
Chinese/Sushi/Thai place in Hiawasee, and the hot tub at the Holiday Inn :)

rafe
12-22-2007, 00:21
The Quality Inn at Front Royal -- nice pool, free shuttle back to trail. Blackberry milkshakes in Shenandoah NP. The view from Mary's Rock in SNP. Sara's soda shop in Unionville, NY. The "red barn" on Rte. 12 in Vermont (N. of Winnturi shelter). The cabin on the ridge, S. of Winnturi shelter. Ace trail towns: Palmerton, Lincoln/Woodstock, Gorham, Andover, Monson. Shaws, of course. Best shelters: Bryant Ridge (architecture) Pearce Pond (setting). Frank Sutton's hostel in Manchester VT. Upper Goose Pond "shelter" in MA. (luxurious, beautiful setting.) The pub in Culver Gap, NJ (view from rear deck.) Campsites: along the lakes in ME between Monson and Abol Bridge. The Inn at the Long Trail (Rte. 4, VT. Guinness.) Gatlinburg -- everyone should experience it, at least once. :D Burger, fries and Yuengling at the Port Clinton Hotel. Great church hostels: Pearisburg, DWG. Jazz Festival (late Sept.) right on the trail in DWG. Damsacus: the Creeper Trail (thank you, LW.) Woods Hole, just S. of Pearisburg. Whew... that was fun.

ScottP
12-22-2007, 00:41
The Homeplace (restaurant) in Catawba, VA

The Mau-har blue blaze. I've done both, and there's no reason to hike the three ridges AT section through this area.

Gulf Hagas and Screw Augur falls in the 100 mile

The Knife's Edge after you finish your thru-hike

MOWGLI
12-22-2007, 08:15
Picking blueberries atop Moxie Bald in Maine. Work for stay @ Lake of the Clouds. The Homeplace. Side trip to top of Siler Bald for lunch.

rafe
12-22-2007, 09:46
So many mentions of the Homeplace. Sorry I missed it... in too much of a hurry I guess, looking forward to the climb up to Dragon's Tooth.

mrc237
12-22-2007, 09:51
Dots::::::::::::::::::D

MOWGLI
12-22-2007, 09:57
I missed the side trail to the top of Mt. Abraham in Maine. Next time I hike through there, I won't. Especially after hearing Weary rave about the beauty of the area.

Lone Wolf
12-22-2007, 10:28
Dots::::::::::::::::::D

that's right pops. first today!!:)

Lilred
12-22-2007, 10:31
I agree about Max Patch. The humps are not to be missed either. Hostels, I second Elmer's in Hot Springs. I also liked Standing Bear Farm at Davenport Gap and Kincora is not to be missed either. Mountain Harbor B&B is another hostel I really enjoyed. Another Not To Miss hostel is anywhere Miss Janet decides open one up. IF you hike through Damascus, I highly recommed taking a zero there and renting a bike to ride down the Virginia Creeper Trail.

Lone Wolf
12-22-2007, 10:34
Kincora is OK but nobody stays in Hampton at the Braemer Castle. It's a great, old classic hostel.

Tinker
12-22-2007, 10:37
I missed the side trail to the top of Mt. Abraham in Maine. Next time I hike through there, I won't. Especially after hearing Weary rave about the beauty of the area.

Weary is right. I made the side trip (collecting 4,000 footers in New England). Beautiful. (Watch out for moose poop on the side trail, though :p ).

Right ON the Trail in New England,
Stratton and Little Rock ponds in Vermont, Lou's Restaurant in Hanover, NH, anywhere in the White Mts. (duh), The potholes in the river at Rattle River shelter, Gentian Pond (NH), Little Bigelow Shelter's swimming hole (or any pond in Maine - you can tell I like to swim). I've heard that Gulf Hagas in Maine (one of the "Grand Canyons of the East) is not to be missed (though on a side trail).
Also, the ski lift down Stratton Mountain to the ski village below used to be free to hikers of the AT. I got a nice Reuben sandwich there.

While you're at it, I HIGHLY recommend finishing the Long Trail (the northern 2/3 are the best part - you will have already done the southern third, as it shares the treadway with the AT).

emerald
12-22-2007, 11:15
Daicey Pond
Lower Jo-Mary Lake
Saddleback
Myron Avery Peak
Mt. Moosilauke
Little Rock Pond

Lone Wolf
12-22-2007, 11:18
Daicey Pond
Lower Jo-Mary Lake
Saddleback
Myron Avery Peak
Mt. Moosilauke
Little Rock Pond

hard to miss these. they're all right on the AT

Chaco Taco
12-22-2007, 11:26
From what I have done, I would say Max Patch is my favorite. The hike up to Clingmans is pretty cool going through the Frasir's and how it smells close to Mt Buckley. Clingmans Dome in the winter, no tourists, just hikers
Standing Bear is great.
Also, I know its not on the AT but right off, the climb up Leconte by way of the Boulevard in the Smokies.

rickb
12-22-2007, 11:27
The Knife's Edge after you finish your thru-hike

That's the only one I'd put on a special list to make happen come hell or high water, but most hikers won't bother.

walkin' wally
12-22-2007, 11:35
If someone wants something steep and breathtaking they could "climb" the Cathedral Trail on Katahdin. It might be the shortest or quickest route to the top but steeeep. :) What a view. Not recommended for descent.

rafe
12-22-2007, 11:37
That's the only one I'd put on a special list to make happen come hell or high water, but most hikers won't bother.

I'd done it twice before arriving at Springer. Careful with the generalizations. :D

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/dagang_onknifedge2.jpg

rickb
12-22-2007, 11:58
Duplicate post.

rickb
12-22-2007, 11:59
Careful with the generalizations.

Every hiker who has elected to do the Knife Edge for the first time immediately before or after their thru hike ranks that 1 mile footpath among the top 3 most spectacular of stretches on their entire 2000 mile journey.

OK, too much generalization. I should have said every east coast hiker who has yet to hike out West or abroad and gets to the top on a clear day.

No other exceptions.

Nice shot Terrapin!

rafe
12-22-2007, 12:17
Wherever I live, I hike. The DAKs and the FLT when I lived in NY. Mt. Adams and South Sister when I lived in OR. Vesuvius and the foothills of the Matterhorn while tromping through Europe. The crater of Haleakala in Maui. A strange wadi in Israel, between Jerusalem and the Dead Sea. The Whites, the MA Mid-State trail and Mt. Monadnock, living now in MA. Sure, the AT is the big kahuna, but it's not the only game in town.

emerald
12-22-2007, 13:53
What grabbed my attention most is how green things are above the trees!

warraghiyagey
12-22-2007, 15:24
What grabbed my attention most is how green things are above the trees!
I've noticed it's also very green below the trees. And actually I've found things to be quite blue or gray or black above the trees.
And I'm a smartass. (shhh - it's a secret).

emerald
12-22-2007, 15:48
I've noticed it's also very green below the trees. And actually I've found things to be quite blue or gray or black above the trees.
And I'm a smartass. (shhh - it's a secret).

Oh, I thought you were about to call to our attention you're hunting wabbits.:rolleyes:

My post referred to the abundance of lichens, maybe moss? and other herbaceous plants. The Knife Edge's rocks seem to be hidden amongst all that green.

warraghiyagey
12-22-2007, 15:52
Oh, I thought you were about to call to our attention you're hunting wabbits.:rolleyes:

My post referred to the abundance of lichens, maybe moss? and other herbaceous plants. The Knife Edge's rocks seem to be hidden amongst all that green.
I'm not a hunter, more of a picture taker.
Oh, and thanks for clearing that up about the green thing. I went from hilarious to stupid in one short post.:)
(Yes I realise that opens a rather wide berth for folks to have at me - whoops).:o ;)

emerald
12-22-2007, 16:07
hard to miss these. they're all right on the AT

Not everyone hikes the entire A.T. The places I mentioned are worth visiting again or maybe even waiting for better conditions to visit if someone expects to only ever see them once.

Terry7
12-23-2007, 15:08
Greyson Highlands north of Damascus Va.

Almost There
12-23-2007, 18:26
Wind Rock...no one ever mentions it, but we went up and camped there, nice view and awesome sunset. The Thunder Storm was pretty awesome too!

DavidNH
12-23-2007, 21:25
WOW there's a lot of not to miss places but I will give it my best shot (based on what I observed on my '06 thru hike!)

1) Clingman's Dome. You gotta go up the observation tower..amazing view!
2) Elmer's Sunny Bank Inn..one of best hostels on trail
3) Max Patch Amazing view 360 degrees!
4) NY Two ice cream stands < 1 mile from trail. Ice cream is always worth the trip!
5) on same vein.. there is Friendly's in northern Mass and VT ICE CREAM!
6) Mahoosics-- Gorgeous..hope you have good weather
7) 100 mile Wilderness A highlight of the trip. Don't rush it!
8) Shaws Hostel in Monson Maine. One of finest on the trail. High and away the best hiker breakfast anywhere!

9) Speaking of breakfast..don't miss Elms in Erwin TN and that place in Wayensorough, VA oh yeah..Weasies.
10) Baxter Park and Mount Katahdin..It is worth the wait for good weather. One of best views anywhere and you won't see it in fog.
11) Gull Pond Lodge in Rangley, ME. Nice home near a lake. Only 20 bucks. And Bob O'Brian is a really entertaining guy and very nice too!

For me..there was nothing special about PA and Maryland. Ct was only nice for me because that is where I grew up!

Where I to hike again..I would avoid the mid atlantic states Nothing Special. Also..I was unimpressed by Damascus, VA.

DavidNH (Snickers '06)

DavidNH
12-23-2007, 21:29
How could I forget these highlights!

Roan High Knob through Doll Flats in TN!!
Fabulous high altitude balds in this section!

Little Rock Pond in VT. Worth the overnight even with the fee..gorgeous!!

David

Jim Adams
12-23-2007, 22:15
hostel...anything to do with miss janet or ron haven or elmer.

sights,,,gulf hagas and the hermatege.

best view...mt. lafayette?

geek

rafe
12-23-2007, 22:19
best view...mt. lafayette?

Good choice... but I'll take Whitecap Mtn, for the solitude.

Jim Adams
12-23-2007, 22:28
Good choice... but I'll take Whitecap Mtn, for the solitude.

...and the blue berries!!!!!:)

geek

Low Rider
12-24-2007, 00:42
That two seater privy up north (does anyone remember where that is?) Good place to bring a date! Is it still there?

There was a cool dumpsite near antlers campsite in the wilderness with a bunch of cool old junk (I found a old raccon trap!)

Gatlinburg Tennesee!!!!!!!! Dollywood!!!!!!!!! Elvis museum! (they have his nasal spray aplicator there and a hair brush!)

and of course, Rusty's Hard Time Hollow.

warraghiyagey
12-24-2007, 00:49
For solitude inthe whites go over Mt Eisenhower. For some reason the trail goes around instead of the few hundred feet to go over. It's surreal up there.
As well as Moosilauke.

Marta
12-24-2007, 07:03
DavidNH--Sorry to break the news to you but The Elms in Erwin has closed.

Grampie
12-24-2007, 12:01
Boy, what a topic. I could make a list a mile long but I'll try to keep it short.
The approach trail to Springer, Walasi-Yi Center, Goose Creek Cabins, The Blueberry Patch, Wasilik Popular, Wesser Bald, Fontana Hilton, Fontana Village, Gatlinburg, Grand Prix Motel, Standing Bear Farm, Hot tub in Hot Springs, Big Bald, Miss Janets, Roan High Knob Shelter, Rone Mt. to Hump Mt., Kincora Hostel, Damascus and Trail Days, Grayson Highlands, Chestnut Knob Shelter, Keefer Oak, Sarvers Cabin, Audi Murphey Monument, Catawba General Store, Homeplace Resturant, Rusry"s, Waynsboro YMCA, Big Meadows Lodge, Elkwallow Wayside, N. Virgina 4-H Pool, Bears Den Hostel, Blackburn A.T. Center, ATC office in Harpers Ferry, Dahlgren Backpackers Camping Area, Pen Mar Park, Mason-Dixon Line, Caledonia State Park, Ironmasters Mansion, 1/2 Gallon chalange, Boiling Springs, Duncannon and the Doyle, 501 Shelter, Port Clinton Hotel, Paimerton Police Station Lodgeing, Church of the Mountain Hostel, Mochican Outdoor Center, High Point State Park, Prospect Rock, Jim Murreys Shelter, Bear Mountain & Bear Mountain Zoo, Bear Mountain Bridge, Graymoor Center, RPH Shelter, Dover Oak, Cornwall Bridge, Sages Ravine, Corncrib on Rt. 7, Upper Goose Pond Cabin, Mt. Greylock, Stratton Mountian Ski Patrol Hut, Stratton Mt. fire tower, Wistlestop Resturant on Rt. 103, Climb to Killington Peak, Inn at the Long Trail, Sleep in the red barn on Rt.12 Woodstock, West Hartford Village Store:) , Hanover N.H., Hikers Welcome in Glencliff, Work for stay in a couple of huts, Franconia Ridge, Mt. Washington, Pinkham Notch visitors Center, Carter Notch Hut, Mahoosuc Notch, Speck Pond Campsite, Andover Guest House, Gull Pond B&B in Rangeley, Summit Sugarloaf Mountain, Kennebunk River Ferry, Monson Shaws, BBQ place in Monson, Gulf Hages, White House Landing, Katahdin, A.T. Lodge in Millinocket.
Some list. Just some of the places I stopped. These are the ones I'd recommend to a future thru-hiker. Happy trails, I'm sure there are more.:)

Oteast
06-15-2011, 02:54
That two seater privy up north (does anyone remember where that is?) Good place to bring a date! Is it still there?

Little Bigalow Mountain was the twin seater was like a mini-house clapboard house with shutters and all, Antlers Campsite had a nice huge privy not far away, could sleep in up it was so clean but only one "stall"