PDA

View Full Version : Want to hike NC, need ride

Cape078
12-22-2007, 21:49
Hello Hikers,
I am located in Raleigh NC and am looking for some good day hikes, or longer around here. I don't drive, so most of my hiking is done around town, not that much fun. I was born and raised in the Adirondacks and hiked all over the place.

I hope to become a Thru-Hiker in 09, a long ways off, but still the desire is there.

Also I am new to this site, and I find everything on here very useful and interesting.

Looking forward to meeting new people, and getting back out into the Wilds...

Thanks,
Cape:banana

Montego
12-22-2007, 21:53
Welcome to WhiteBlaze Cape078. Hope you get hooked-up for your hike :welcome

Tennessee Viking
12-23-2007, 02:18
Check MST sections. There are couple state parks and lakes that it passes by around Durham. But there are only a few sections open. It is mostly road routes along that area of NC.
Other than that, Pilot Mtn would probably be your first good section of MST. Or hike the Outer Banks shore line.

Ramble~On
12-23-2007, 03:10
Hey Cape078,

I'm in Raleigh for the holidays. I now live in the western part of the state but Raleigh is home. There is hiking to be had in and around Raleigh.
The Falls Lake trail is a good place to start and as mentioned there is the portion of the Mountains to Sea at Falls Lake. Have you looked at the Greenway ?
One thing I love about Raleigh is the Greenway.

Cape078
02-03-2008, 15:14
:D I've been hiking sections of the Greenway here in Raleigh that meet up with a couple lakes (ponds really). It's not too bad, but it's not quite the same as wilderness hiking. I'm going to try and get out to Falls Lake here in Raleigh and hike some of those trails next. maybe get to the section of the MTS trail.

Please feel free to contact me if at all interested, should be a good time. Again I don't have a car, so tecnically I'm still Looking for rides to hikes.

Have good Mosh Pitting...
Cape

Chaco Taco
02-03-2008, 15:26
I just down 40 from you. I do not drive either so I may be able to help you. Eno River has some good trails. Look at Duke Forest. There are some great trails in Raleigh just have to find them. I know here in Chapel Hill the Parks and Rec have a trail map with all of the trails around here. I know at UNC they have a trail system set up in some woods. Check with NCSU and see if they have some kind of Outdoor Center. We have disc golf and trails. I got lucky, Carrboro is a small little town connected to Chapel Hill and we have a huge network of trails starting in my backyard. Something like 70 miles of trail, good distance running trails that I am using to train. 4 days a week, I take off out of my backdoor and go trailrunnin in some deep woods.

If you are interested, there are a few of us going on a week long in the Smokies at the end of March. May be able to hook you up with a ride for gas money situation.
PM me if interested.