PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Rental

mts4602
12-22-2007, 22:09
Are there any places out there that you can rent sleeping bags from? I might be going to the smokies after x-mas for a few days and I'm not sure I'm comfortable taking my 15 degree bag. I'm looking in to borrowing a couple bags from a friend but if that doesn't work out I was wondering if I could rent them anywhere?

MTS

Hooch
12-22-2007, 22:22
Are there any places out there that you can rent sleeping bags from? I might be going to the smokies after x-mas for a few days and I'm not sure I'm comfortable taking my 15 degree bag. I'm looking in to borrowing a couple bags from a friend but if that doesn't work out I was wondering if I could rent them anywhere?

MTSREI does, but since there's not one here in Kentucky, that's not a serious option for right now. I'd take thee 15* bag and add a liner to it. Depending on what you get, it'll add a good 10* to what you already have. :D

mts4602
12-22-2007, 22:27
Yeah I'd like to take my 15...Have any suggestions on a liner or where get one?

take-a-knee
12-22-2007, 22:31
This would be my suggestion for a liner, it would also work as campwear, like a FF Rock Wren. You gotta have room in the bag for it though.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=29

Hooch
12-22-2007, 22:33
Yeah I'd like to take my 15...Have any suggestions on a liner or where get one?I use one I got at REI (http://www.rei.com/product/739503) when I ws visiting my family in NC. It works just fine and keeps me plenty warm when added to my synthetic 20* Slumberjack. If you don't like that one, do a search for sleeping bag liners at REI, Campmor, Moosejaw or Campsaver. Or you could just go to your local outfitter. :D

mts4602
12-22-2007, 22:45
OH, i just remembered we have a fleece sleeping bag somewhere around here, i've never used it but would that work?

take-a-knee
12-22-2007, 22:48
OH, i just remembered we have a fleece sleeping bag somewhere around here, i've never used it but would that work?

I would guess it would be worth 5-8 degrees, unless you had some colder than normal days, and your bag rating is solid, it might be enough. Try to camp low, off the ridges. I would make sure I had a thick enough pad also.

mts4602
12-22-2007, 22:53
I would guess it would be worth 5-8 degrees, unless you had some colder than normal days, and your bag rating is solid, it might be enough. Try to camp low, off the ridges. I would make sure I had a thick enough pad also.

Well I'm planning on the AT in the smokies, maybe Icewater and then Leconte sheters. So getting off the ridges isn't really an option. I've never used a shelter before though...

My bag is a montbell SS DH 15 and I believe the rating is more than accurate.

J5man
12-22-2007, 23:11
Wear top and bottom thermals and gloves and a hat when you sleep and that will add a lot of warmth too. Search Tipi Walter's posts and you will find out a lot about cold weather camping.

HikerRanky
12-22-2007, 23:17
Well I'm planning on the AT in the smokies, maybe Icewater and then Leconte sheters. So getting off the ridges isn't really an option. I've never used a shelter before though...

My bag is a montbell SS DH 15 and I believe the rating is more than accurate.

During the month of December, highs up on Clingman's Dome rarely get about 40 degrees, and the lows are usually around 21. There's a reason that it's called Icewater Springs :-)

LeConte is also unpredictable this time of the year.... I recall someone telling me that they hiked up there in 40 degree weather, spent the night, and woke up the next morning to about 12 inches of snow....

In other words, take the 15 degree bag..... you'll be glad you did....

Randy

88BlueGT
12-23-2007, 05:18
Not sure where you are located at but I know the local EMS rents bags ranging from summer bags to (-) bags.

Two Speed
12-23-2007, 06:08
If you're hiking the AT you're supposed to stay in the shelters, which kinda sucks IMHO. Having gotten that off my chest . . .

I hiked from Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap in mid-January a couple of years ago, and that is a trip I definitely want to do again. However, the shelters are just cold and drafty. If you have a bivy sack that's a great idea, as are the suggestions about wearing your base layer and hat to bed or finding a liner. Just make sure that the liner doesn't compress the insulation in your bag or you'll just wind up where you started, but with a heavier sleeping system.

I made out all right in a 20 degree bag, wearing my base and hat, no bag liner, but I will bring my UL bivy next time. The drafts, OK, winds, in the shelters made it a little challenging at times, particularly about 3 or 4:00 AM. I want my bivy to keep the wind from bearing directly on my sleeping bag.

Another reason I'll bring my bivy is I'll add a poncho and ditch my tent. Yeah, I know I said you're supposed to stay in the shelters, but the weather on the AT in the Smokies is unpredictable, and being able to make an impromptu camp is essential IMHO, just in case you can't make it to the shelter. If it got really rough I'd start thinking about looking for a good spot to make a snow cave. Probably not going to happen, but it's good to have an idea of what you're gonna do if the bottom really does fall out.

If the temps look like getting out of hand heating up a water bottle and bring that to bed is probably a good idea, too, provided you're really sure it ain't gonna leak.

Last thing: the friggin' mice were still active in a couple of the shelters, despite the temps. Cosby Knob was truly a PITA.

Still, the views were awesome, so yeah, I'll suck it up and do it again sooner or later.

TOW
12-23-2007, 07:51
Yeah I'd like to take my 15...Have any suggestions on a liner or where get one?
As long as youy keep the wind off of you you shouldn't need a liner. A suggestion without a liner is to sleep in a tent with your hiking clothes on. Less junk to buy anyway.........

I made it thru the winter of '00-'01 without a liner and only a Kelty 20 degree bag. In fact I did part of the winter of '01-'02 up in Mass and Vermont without a liner. Both winters were brutally cold too.

mts4602
12-23-2007, 16:31
As long as youy keep the wind off of you you shouldn't need a liner. A suggestion without a liner is to sleep in a tent with your hiking clothes on. Less junk to buy anyway.........

If you are sleeping in a shelter, what can you do to keep the wind off you?

Peaks
12-23-2007, 16:48
Well, I know that at least some of the EMS stores rent winter sleeping bags. That's because one got turned in at Pinkham Notch over Memorial Day weekend last May. Turned out it was somehow lost during the previous winter. It got shipped back to a very happy camper!