PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Gear List to Review!!

SparrowHawk
12-23-2007, 01:41
Alright...A bit of information that might be useful: I am heading to ME on March 1, 2008 and I'm a warm sleeper--due to some natural insulation!

BIG 4
Granite Gear Vapor Trail 32oz.
Campmor 20* Down Bag 36oz.
Therm-A-Rest Z-lite Pad [Short] 11oz.
Thru-Hiker.com Tarptent 24oz.

COOKING STUFF
Jetboil 15oz.
Jetboil Fuel 3.5oz
Orikasu Bowl 1.5oz
Lexan Spoon 0.32oz.
Freezerbag Cozy ??oz.

REPAIR KIT 0.07oz.
Sewing Needle
Platy Patches (x2)

FIRST AID KIT 3.6oz.
Neosporin Packets (x4)
Ibuprofen
Immodium-AD
Gauze Strips (x5)
Inhaler
Total of Above 2 oz.
Gold Bond 1.6 oz.

"ESSENTIALS"
Compass and Map 0.80oz and 6.08oz
Firestarter (Broken into 3 Pieces) 1.12oz
Mini-Bic Lighter (x2) 0.32oz.
Waterproof Matches (x5) and Box --oz.
Petzl Tikka Plus 2.24oz
50' Nylon Rope 1.6oz
MSR WaterWorks 19oz
Iodine Tabs (x4) --oz.
Platypus 3L and 1L bag 0.96oz/0.64oz respectively
Duct Tape--> On Trekking Poles
Nalgenes (x2) 16oz.
AAA Battery (x3) 0.80oz

HYGIENE
Toothbrush 0.16oz
Toothpaste ??oz.
Hand Sanitizer 0.64oz.
Floss 0.32oz
Campers Toilet Paper (x3) 3.2oz
Vitamins (x5) 0.16oz
Nail Clippers 0.16oz
Chapstick --oz.
Baby Wipes (15 count) 3.2oz

OTHERS
Thru-Hikers Companion (Sections) 0.16oz
Ear Plugs --oz.
ID, Money, Credit Card, and Calling Card 0.48oz
Journal w/List of Emergency #'s in it 1.92oz
Golf Pencil 0.08oz
Book [weight depends on book]
Pack Cover 6oz
HD Camcorder/Camera 5.2oz

CLOTHES
BASELAYER
Terramar Midweight Tights
Athletic Works Compression Shorts
"UnderArmour" Longsleeve

LAYER
National Trail Days Wicking Tee
Nylon Shorts
Midweight Longsleeve

FEET
3 Fox River Liners
3 Wool Socks
Montrail Torre GTX Wide Boots 56oz
Teva Hurricane II Sandals 12.4oz

INSULATION
Sierra Designs Wind/Rain Jacket 9oz
Sierra Designs Wind/Rain Pants 6oz
The North Face Apex Softshell 29.4oz

HEAD
Beenie
Balaclava 2oz
Bandana

HAND
Gloves

[Winter] Total W/O Clothing: 12.385 lbs
[Summer] Total W/O Clothing: 11.475 lbs

All of the items were weighed on a scale in the Wal-Mart Deli. I still need to weigh up the clothes and will post as soon as I do it...they're pretty busy during the holiday season. Back to the list, once it gets warmer, I will trade the Nalgene Bottles in for PowerAde bottles, lose the Apex Softshell/Tights/UnderArmour/Balaclava/ Gloves until the Whites--I will trade in the Beenie for a Cap and the Boots for Trail Runners--, I might forego the Baby Wipes, but they will be a relief at the end of a hard day! I do, however, think the final total with food and water will be sub-30lbs for winter and "late" 20's for the summer.Thanks in Advance for the inputs!

take-a-knee
12-23-2007, 02:13
I have an MSR filter and I like it a lot... as long as I don't have to carry it. Here is what I use:

http://www.seychelle.com/Prodselect.asp?RepID=10001&CategoryID=386&BasketID=

This filter is plumbed into a cannibalized camelback hose with the filter above the camelback ball/shutoff valve. Install a right angle platypus fitting on each end of the hose. I use two 70oz platypus bladders. Each bladder has holes punched in the bottom flanges to run gutted paracord through, one with red cord, one with green, the red marks one platy as "dirty". I collect water in that one, hang it from a branch in camp, and it drips into the "clean" platy. I use Katydyn tabs as a backup, and to treat any water used from the "dirty" platy. Filter and hose weights seven ounces, no moving parts to break.

Panzer1
12-23-2007, 02:19
I don't see a knife of any kind. Are you bringing one.

I wouldn't store my duck tape on the walking stick. I would carry it in the pack.

I would not bring a golf pencil, I would bring a larger pencil, not full length, but bigger than a golf pencil with an good erasor on it. Also I would bring a ball point pen because sometimes I like writting with a pen.

Also, how about a bar of soap.

Panzer

roy_hiking
12-23-2007, 02:22
My 20 deg. down Campmor bag does not weight that much. Is the weight correct??

double d
12-23-2007, 03:03
Great list, you do need a pocket knife. Also, just my opinion, but get rid of the floss, nail clippers (use one of the functions on your brand new pocket knife!!!) and forget the baby wipes (use your bandana). Otherwise, good list. You might need a poncho, take a look at campmor's, they have some nice ones around 20-$30 bucks.

the_iceman
12-23-2007, 10:06
It is about 0.75 ply and the rolls are so small they do not last long. Get a regular size roll and stuff it in a quart size ziplock. it will last 3 weeks and the tiny bit of extra weight is worth knowing you will not run out in the Smokies like several hikers around me. I gave out a dozen sheets at a time to desperate hikers and got gifts of goodies in return.

Take the wipes, there is nothing better for that "fresh" feeling when you are 4 days from you last shower.

Get a small knife. I do not like the "combo" deals myself. Lose one and you loose everything. Plus, if someting tries to do everything it usually does nothing well.

mountain squid
12-23-2007, 10:34
Very good list. Some observations/thoughts:

if you are going to do freezer bag cooking, a JetBoil is overkill - consider an alcohol stove for fbc
if iodine tabs are for backup, 4 might not be enough (1 per qt correct?)
food stuff sack
whistle
sun screen (no leaves on the trees)
consider leaving book at home until you have adjusted to trail life
radio/mp3 player
as everyone has noted a sm knife would be beneficial - consider one with tweezers/scissors (pulling ticks/cutting nails)
if you must carry a Nalgene in the cold :confused:, carry only one - with your Platypus' you should have enough carrying capacity

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

4eyedbuzzard
12-23-2007, 10:37
When you say "I am heading to ME on March 1, 2008" I assume you mean you're starting from Springer and heading towards ME, 'cause otherwise you're gonna need warmer stuff and snowshoes, and crampons, and...

Agree with others, you need a good small knife. And keep the nailclippers, they don't weigh much and proper footcare is a must. Long toenails or a cracked or poorly trimmed one can get real painful, especially going downhill.

take-a-knee
12-23-2007, 10:59
The Softshell jacket is heavy and not particularly warm. I would reccomend something like a Patagonia R1 Hoody with a hooded primaloft jacket like a Montbell:

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=73&p_id=2301226

Appalachian Tater
12-23-2007, 11:07
That's a great list. Obviously you've really put a lot of research into it.

A lot of the suggestions above are good ones: forget the golf pencil, get a real pen, preferably one that is waterproof.

Orikaso bowl is useless, eat out of your pot or freezer bag cozy. The JetBoil is fast but heavy. Consider a SuperCat and alcohol.

You absolutely need the nailclippers and floss, don't let your oral or pedal hygiene get sloppy, and you can use floss to sew, and it's strong.

Your fleece is heavy. You could get a down or artificial fiber jacket that weighs under a pound and save 13 or more ounces. Then consider putting those ounces into a GG Nimbus Ozone, which carries a lot better than the Vapor Trail and would give you more flexibility regarding carrying water and food.

Camping toilet paper comes in small quantities and is expensive. Half of a roll of your usual toilet paper in a ziplock is better, flatten it, take out the cardboard, and pull it out from the middle of the flat roll, not the outside. Stick a little bottle of alcohol gel in the ziplock to clean your hands after a BM. You might be surprised at how much of a little luxury using your regular, good-quality toilet paper will be.

You might use tiny scissors more than a knife and you do need tweezers for thorns and ticks. Read up on ticks and Lyme disease and take precautions. You may only use a knife to cut cheese or sausage so a 1 or 1.5 inch blade will do.

Don't waste ounces on Nalgenes. Get wide-mouthed bottles like Gatorade, Aquafina, or quinine water bottles, replace them when they get dirty. I have switched over to Platypuses exclusively as they will fit better and more securely in the odd side pockets of your GG pack and collapse when not in use.

Line your pack with a heavy-duty garbage bag to keep your stuff dry. Also consider waterproof stuff sacks like an OR Hydrolite for your sleeping bag and anything else you want to keep dry. Your food also needs to be in waterproof sacs.

I also agree about putting duct tape on your poles. It gets dirty, the adhesive can be altered by the heat, and you have to lift it with your arms every step. Wrap it on itself to make a little flat "roll" or by the flat stuff or little rolls for backpacking. Why would you need instant access to duct tape on the trail? What you need instant access to is drinking water, make sure you have a drinking tube or can reach a water bottle without stopping or taking off your pack. You want to stay well-hydrated. If you get dehydrated, it ruins your day and you feel exhausted.

Also, you don't really need your calling card, just the access number, your code, and the customer service number. Write them down with your telephone numbers. Are you using a waterproof writing pad? You should. If not, write your important numbers on Tyvek with a Sharpie so the list will last six months. A Priority Mail envelope is Tyvek and has no writing on the inside. You can even make a wallet out of it and write your numbers inside--Google it up.

Have fun!

burger
12-23-2007, 11:26
If you get blisters, those 5 pieces of gauze aren't going to last long, and duct tape won't stay on your feet if they get sweaty. Take some athletic tape instead. You don't need very much because if you put it on well, it stays on for days, even when your feet get wet. You can find athletic tape in any drug store.

Also, that MSR filter is crazy heavy. A Sweetwater or Katadyn hiker will save you almost half a pound. Aqua Mira will save you almost a full pound.

Try a mechanical pencil instead of your golf pencil. The extra weight is negligible, and you don't have to worry about sharpening (like with the golf pencil) or cold temperatures/ink explosions/running out of ink, like you might with a ballpoint pen.

And, echoing Appalachian Tater, bring an alcohol stove instead of the JetBoil. I do freezer bag cooking, and my SuperCat stove is perfect for that. For a lot of stuff I re-hydrate, the water doesn't even have to be boiling for the food to come out great.

Panzer1
12-24-2007, 03:49
I would keep the MSR filter. I think that the bigger/heaver filters work better than the smaller/lighter filters. If you're a "filter person" you might as well have a good one. And with his pack weight as light as it is he can afford to carry a nice filter.

Panzer

Auntie Mame
12-24-2007, 13:54
Great list! The thing I might think about changing would be the Tevas. Heavy. If its camp shoes you need, go the Waldies route. Shove em on when you need to leave the tent, no buckles needed. Lots of new designs out there from Quark, Croc, etc.

SparrowHawk
12-24-2007, 19:27
Thanks for the list of suggestions guys and gals...I forgot to list the knife, and therefore its weight, I'll be carrying, but there is one to be included. I have decided, as per the recommendations, to carry the Duct Tape like Panzer1 recommended and carry the roll of TP instead of those Camper ones (They should change the name to "John Wayne TP"). Gonna carry a mechanical pencil and cut my Nalgenes down to 1 and bring the hose attachment for the Platy's, bringing extra I2 Tablets (I'm a chemistry major!!!), and I do have stuff sacks for my gear--pack will be lined with trash bags too!

I am in the process of buying either a pair of Crocs or Waldies (Thanks Auntie Mame) and thanks for the links regarding the jacket...I've been searching for a lighter synthetic jacket but have yet to find one well priced. Thanks all. Oh! As far as the sunscreen, I've opted not to carry it because I have an over abundance of Melatonin--I'm East Indian and pretty brown skinned--Thanks for the recommend though:D

HapKiDo
12-25-2007, 19:30
You may want to reconsider the sun screen even if you're toned and brown. Some of my black friends informed me that they get sunburned at the beach if they don't use sunscreen.

Keep the MSR Filter -- in 2003, all the other filters had problems getting clogged with silt and the paper filter was only lasting 2 months at most. Hikers either gave up and went without filtering or changed to a non-filter option or spent a lot of money on new paper filters. "One-Third" said that her MSR went all the way (it can be field cleaned).

And remember -- if you decide you need an item, you're only three to five days away from a trailhead where you can hitch into a town to purchase what you forgot. Mountain Crossings Outfitter is 30 miles from Springer right on the AT and you'll know by then if you need to "tweek" some of your gear.

See you out there somewhere on the AT.
HapKiDo

rafe
12-25-2007, 20:44
Keep the MSR Filter -- in 2003, all the other filters had problems getting clogged with silt and the paper filter was only lasting 2 months at most. Hikers either gave up and went without filtering or changed to a non-filter option or spent a lot of money on new paper filters. "One-Third" said that her MSR went all the way (it can be field cleaned).

I'll second all that. I've used MSR filters for years. This year I went with a Katadyn (lighter and faster) but went through filter elements like crazy. I can't recommend it. Not sure what next -- either AquaMira or back to MSR. I'm not brave enough for the drink-it-straight-up-out-of-the-stream approach. (Been there, done that.)

I'll keep the Katadyn for short trips, I suppose, at least until the filter clogs again. And then I'll probably toss it. I've already spent more in replacement filters than I paid for the original. D'oh.

Tinker
12-25-2007, 21:21
Good list. I have no experience with the Campmor bags, but have read that they are optimistically rated. Check it out in the back yard (preferably after briefly hosing it down to simulate unforseen "oopsies") in 10 degree temps on a windy night in your Tarptent. You will probably see 10 degrees on a few occasions, and, if you've done any extended hiking, you're aware that nothing stays dry day after day in the spring mountains.
If you're comfortable with the stove, keep it, at least until the weather warms. Alcohol stoves require a lot more fuel when its cold than they do when its warm. In the summer, switch to a Supercat stove and small pot or large cup if you want to, or try Esbit tabs, which I use in warm weather. You might prefer them as I do.

Personally, I would start with a 15 degree (conservatively) rated bag and a double -walled tent (or my winter hammock). I've experienced snow blowing through the no-see-um mesh on a small summer bivy I used to own much as one might with a Tarptent. Maybe this won't happen to you, but if you're starting out March 1, I wouldn't count on it. I did Georgia in March of '06. It only got below freezing on two nights, but it was an extremely strange year, weather-wise. The Smokies will probably be much colder.

Panzer1
12-26-2007, 15:30
... and forget the baby wipes (use your bandana).

And afterwards are you still going to use that bandana to wipe your face...
that's gross

Panzer