PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Remember Jerome?

SawnieRobertson
12-23-2007, 16:41
It was Easter Sunday, April 12, 1998. I was on a quick day hike from Hot Springs to just beyond Deer Park Mountain Shelter. Along came this backpacker, probably second half of his thirties, seeming almost to dance for joy with every step as he came up the trail going north. He was black. He stopped. We chatted. You couldn't help but feel good after talking with him.

His first name was Jerome. He was sectioning with the plan being to do a section every year until his fiftieth birthday, which he would spend climbing Katahdin.

He said he was going to pass through Hot Springs rather than stay over for the night. Then he stopped by Elmers where he was joyously received by all who were there. You'd really understand this if you could feel the warmth that this guy radiated.

That evening I saw him again at the Bridge Cafe. He and the rest had gone there to pacify their hunger until Elmer would be ready to serve The Dinner.

I think he was from Philadelphia, but it could have been some other city. Do any of you remember him and his last name? I have reason to want to be able to get in touch with him for a friend.--Kinnickinic