PDA

View Full Version : Flip Flop Hikers

Former Easy
12-17-2003, 08:55
Anyone doing a Flip Flop this year? Or have in the past?

steve hiker
12-17-2003, 14:34
Im wearing flip flops right now, next year too if they hold together the glue gives out some times.

Over and out.
Jumble Jowls

Former Easy
12-17-2003, 19:50
Im wearing flip flops right now, next year too if they hold together the glue gives out some times.

Over and out.
Jumble Jowls

Well I'm sure you have a good supply of glue for all the sniffing you do!!!!

bluebird
12-17-2003, 20:54
I did a flip flop in 2001.... saw your reply in the Lean To section... I agree this thread is a better fit.

Anyone doing a Flip Flop this year? Or have in the past?

Former Easy
12-17-2003, 21:15
This Post Is also in the Shelter & Lean-To Area
---------------------------------------------------------

I will doing a Flip this year starting in Harpers Ferry in Mid March then hiking south to Springer, then Harpers to Katahdin.

For me I see many advantages to this:

1) If your not a social hiker and like to hike alone, this keeps you out of the crowds in the south this time of year. But you will still meet people on the trail from time to time to not be too lonely.

2) If your not a partier or in recovery, A flip hike will surely be of benefit since the temptations to go into town with others to drink, will not be as big of a factor. The phrase "I'm a drinker with a hiking problem" doesn't apply in my case. Its more like "I'm a hiker that gets drunk turns mean and becomes a a$$hole" So for me its better to stay away from the temptations to drink.

3) Crowded shelters will not be as big of a concern, however I prefer not to stay in them unless its really storming and I don't want to set up camp.

4) You start on easier terrain and work your way up to more difficult while getting in shape. Yes I'll hit the roller coaster right of the bat, but in my opinion this stretch is a joke, and not as bad some make it sound. Its annoying if anything.

5)Its easier to get to Harpers Ferry than Springer, However I'll still have to deal with getting a ride out of Amicola Falls Lodge to Atlanta.

6) you still finish on Katahdin doing your second leg from Harpers Ferry north.

The biggest disadvantages I fore see, are services that won't be available this far north in March.

Former Easy
12-18-2003, 09:25
Heres a good account of a flip flop hike. http://home.maine.rr.com/trudge/at/
This is probably the best journal out there dealing with a Flip Flop hike, at least as far as i've found. Its also very good information even if your not doing a Flip.