PDA

View Full Version : Low- sodium leg cramps

budforester
12-23-2007, 21:10
Sometimes in high summer, I have had leg- cramps after hard work or play, but I learned to minimize it with plenty of fluids and salty snacks. Now, I need to reduce sodium intake, and I would be grateful for insights from some of you low- sodium folks. Can I consume sufficient electrolytes with things like dried fruit, potatoes, herb- teas, maybe even using low- sodium sports drinks or lite- salt?

Appalachian Tater
12-23-2007, 21:38
Potassium, magnesium and calcium can play as much a role as sodium. if you have low-electrolyte cramps, you might consider a scientifically-formulated, balanced electrolyte drink such as Gatorade. Also discuss this with your physician since it seems he or she may have told you to reduce your sodium intake. If you are actually having cramps from low sodium as opposed to another electrolyte, then why do you need to reduce your intake?

Morton Lite Salt is sodium chloride and potassium chloride, although you really just need to cut down on salt entirely to reduce sodium intake. Try substituting acidic flavors like vinegar and lemon juice.

Also understand that if your electrolytes are low, it can do more than just cause cramps. Low potassium, for instance, can cause problems with your heart.

Phreak
12-23-2007, 21:51
Endurolytes (http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=PRODUCT&CAT=ELECT&PROD.ID=4037&OMI=10104,10082,10047&AMI=10104)

Marta
12-23-2007, 22:06
Cytomax works for me. I don't know its sodium content, but it's great stuff. Stopped my husband's leg cramps from cycling.

budforester
12-23-2007, 23:15
I've been keeping the sodium low for a few days (1500- 2000 mg) and it seems to be helping... my blood pressure is getting down close to normal. The sports drinks seem to all have too much sodium. I'm doing fine in cool weather, but I suspect that during the summer sweats, I will need to look for sources with other ions that will replenish my electrolyte needs. Have any of you who have started low- sodium diets noticed an increase in leg cramps?

sarbar
12-23-2007, 23:25
You need more potassium - drink a glass of OJ, a banana or a bag of low sodium potato chips (look for kettle chips, you can find unsalted ones even).

Low sodium for 2 years now. I have nearly no cramps now (I only get them snowshoeing and that is due to being out of shape.) No more do I have cramps at night after working out. I attribute it to my healthier diet (lots of fluids and lots of vegetables full of potassium). Eat a full diet and it does wonders!

sarbar
12-23-2007, 23:27
Btw, for low sodium electolyte mixes? Look for ones by Cliff. They are well balanced. The Luna Elixr's for women are great as well. You can find them though it isn't easy. Both of them are low in sodium and nothing fake.

sarbar
12-23-2007, 23:27
Also, if you are on any meds, be very, very careful with "Lite-Salt" - it can mess with some BP meds bad.

rainmaker
12-23-2007, 23:47
Cytomax works for me. I don't know its sodium content, but it's great stuff. Stopped my husband's leg cramps from cycling.

But it taste horrible.

budforester
12-24-2007, 00:16
You need more potassium - drink a glass of OJ, a banana or a bag of low sodium potato chips (look for kettle chips, you can find unsalted ones even).

Low sodium for 2 years now. I have nearly no cramps now (I only get them snowshoeing and that is due to being out of shape.) No more do I have cramps at night after working out. I attribute it to my healthier diet (lots of fluids and lots of vegetables full of potassium). Eat a full diet and it does wonders!

Thanks Sarbar, I hadn't remembered the unsalted potato chips. Bananas and OJ are great suggestions, too. Sounds like "real" food will work, and that's what I had hoped to hear. I'm on no meds... trying to avoid that, but I had heard that lite- salt must be used with caution. I must begin reworking my camp- grub into some better nutrition profiles; I've got until summer to get it fixed. When is your Low- sodium book being published?

Pedaling Fool
12-24-2007, 00:22
This is why I dehydrate my own foods and send mail-drops to myself. I get all the nutrients, including electrolytes, I need in my meals of dehydrated fruits, vegetables & meats.

sarbar
12-24-2007, 00:22
Bud, it is coming..it is the one I am working on right now. While it won't be called low sodium, all but a couple recipes are low sodium (in other words, salt to taste!) It is a reflection of the recipes I have been posting on the site in the past year on my site and blog - a real focus on whole foods.

I have found that in summer carrying a big bag of unsalted potato chips is one of the best things I can carry. I take BP meds that can strip potassium out of my body as well so I have to be very careful.

Another thing is having sweet potatoes! They are great overall as well :)

Wanderingson
12-24-2007, 00:25
How about a few of these?:banana :banana :banana :banana

Pedaling Fool
12-24-2007, 00:44
How about a few of these?:banana :banana :banana :banana

:welcome We need dancing potatoes, they have more potassium

Marta
12-24-2007, 06:37

But it taste horrible.

To each his/her own. We both like the tropical fruit flavor better than any other sports drink.

peanuts
12-24-2007, 12:16
emergen-c makes electro mix without sodium or sugar, light lime flavor...thats what i use.

budforester
12-24-2007, 13:10
emergen-c makes electro mix without sodium or sugar, light lime flavor...thats what i use.

Thanks Peanuts, I found the Emergen-C website (http://www.emergenc.com/); definitely need to give that a try.

NorthCountryWoods
12-24-2007, 13:27
Sleep with a bar of lye based soap near your legs in bed or bag.

Laugh all you want, but nothing works better.

Javasanctum
01-14-2008, 14:14
My doctor wrote me up for Quinine tablets. See if yours will. I used to get cramps frequently for various reasons. Now, I never get a cramp for about a day or two after taking one (regardless of the reason for the cramp).
Also -- It tastes like crap without booze mixed in, but you can get seltzer with Quinine in it. Maybe drinking a bottle in town can help, but I never tried that yet (don't know if it has enough Quinine).

budforester
01-14-2008, 14:58
My doctor wrote me up for Quinine tablets. See if yours will. I used to get cramps frequently for various reasons. Now, I never get a cramp for about a day or two after taking one (regardless of the reason for the cramp).
Also -- It tastes like crap without booze mixed in, but you can get seltzer with Quinine in it. Maybe drinking a bottle in town can help, but I never tried that yet (don't know if it has enough Quinine).

Aha, gin and tonic is an acquired taste, but I'm sure I could learn... for medicinal purposes, of course. I've been successfully keeping the sodium down and paying attention to sources of potassium and other ions. It's going well, so far. summertime will be the test, and I'll check out the tonic water and tablets. Thanks

mkmangold
01-14-2008, 15:53
"No-Salt" works for me (KCl) but does have an aftertaste. Ya just gotta figure out what's worse: cramps, hypertension, or an aftertaste.
Marta: how did your husband get cyclical cramps?:
"Stopped my husband's leg cramps from cycling.

map man
01-14-2008, 23:40
Good trail foods, other than some already mentioned, that are good sources of potassium: raisins, figs, dried apricots.

vonfrick
01-14-2008, 23:49
Sleep with a bar of lye based soap near your legs in bed or bag.

Laugh all you want, but nothing works better.

im completely mystified by this post. care to explain?

Blissful
01-15-2008, 11:48

Just watch that stuff, my dad had bad reactions to it after being on it a few months for leg cramps. He started having high blood pressure problems. Nearly passed out, etc. Be sure to monitor your BP.

Froggy
01-15-2008, 12:00
You can get potassium pills near the supplements where they sell vitamins. They help, along with plenty of water.

DAKS
01-15-2008, 12:23
Endurolytes (http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=PRODUCT&CAT=ELECT&PROD.ID=4037&OMI=10104,10082,10047&AMI=10104)

this stuff really does work great! used it all the time as a cyclist back in my day! kinda' spendy i think, but well worth it!!!

Monkeyboy
01-15-2008, 12:32
Add banana chips to your gorp.....breaks up the monotony with a little flavor anyway.

neo
01-15-2008, 12:59
Sometimes in high summer, I have had leg- cramps after hard work or play, but I learned to minimize it with plenty of fluids and salty snacks. Now, I need to reduce sodium intake, and I would be grateful for insights from some of you low- sodium folks. Can I consume sufficient electrolytes with things like dried fruit, potatoes, herb- teas, maybe even using low- sodium sports drinks or lite- salt?

not just low sodium,low magnesium,calcium.pottasium to.:cool:neo

Javasanctum
01-15-2008, 16:47
Just watch that stuff, my dad had bad reactions to it after being on it a few months for leg cramps. He started having high blood pressure problems. Nearly passed out, etc. Be sure to monitor your BP.

Thanks Blissful!
On second thought Bud... nevermind, scratch that:rolleyes:. My doctor never even mentioned that (and he had me on BP meds already). Just another reason to stay in the woods, far away from doctors. Potasium wasn't working for me so I guess I'll be in the same boat if the problem returns.

kayak karl
01-15-2008, 17:11
im completely mystified by this post. care to explain?
i know people that do this. they swear by it. go figure:confused:

desdemona
01-23-2008, 01:05
There's a electrolyte supplement that has no sodium called "Electro-Mix" sold by Alacer. It has a mild lemon/lime taste which I find very pleasant. I have used it for years due to an electrolyte imbalance. I eat enough salt that that isn't an issue, but if it is really hot out I add a tiny pinch of salt.

It would be easy enough to pack, as it is almost weightless. (Unfortunately they cut out making the smaller packets that had a teeny spoon. The packs are for a liter or something. I think a good pinch produces a good dose. It shouldn't taste bitter or you have made it too strong.)

Also Alacer makes Emergen C. This is sweetened (fructose) and also has possasium and other trace electrolytes. I am not a huge fan, but some people love it.

--des

desdemona
01-23-2008, 01:10
There's a electrolyte supplement that has no sodium called "Electro-Mix" sold by Alacer. It has a mild lemon/lime taste which I find very pleasant. I have used it for years due to an electrolyte imbalance. I eat enough salt that that isn't an issue, but if it is really hot out I add a tiny pinch of salt.

It would be easy enough to pack, as it is almost weightless. (Unfortunately they cut out making the smaller packets that had a teeny spoon. The packs are for a liter or something. I think a good pinch produces a good dose. It shouldn't taste bitter or you have made it too strong.)

Also Alacer makes Emergen C. This is sweetened (fructose) and also has possasium and other trace electrolytes. I am not a huge fan, but some people love it. Might be handy for treated water.

--des

fiddlehead
01-23-2008, 03:20
I too get terrible cramps sometimes.
Especially after jogging a long distance, or hiking hard sometimes

I've heard all about low sodium or potassium and tried and tried and tried.

I remember after some of my ultra races that i ran in, my whole body would cramp up and it was very painful.

Last year, i tried Magnesium and it really worked for me.

Like i said, i was trying all the things mentioned above but the magnesium is the one that finally seemed to do it every time.

I also notice that the cramps are a lot worse after drinking alcohol. i haven't tried the mag. as a hangover cure yet, but i might.

gldwings1
01-23-2008, 06:33
your problem with your legs is not your sodium or lack thereof, it's your potassium which varies directly with sodium; ergo if you you have low sodium intake you probably have low potassium intake. Boost your potassium and your leg cramps should go away if they are related to electrolyte problems, if not see a sports medicine MD. Easy ways to get potassium without sodium are bananas, oranges, nuts, dates, kiwi, tomato juice(watch the sodium content for your heart), orange juice and google high K foods for more.

atraildreamer
01-23-2008, 19:05
Schweppes (or any similar product) tonic water with quinine will stop the leg cramps. A couple of ounces is enough. Available in regular or diet.

jnohs
01-27-2008, 17:33
i bring propell packets. They tast so good out on the trail. I always think it is amazing the transformation I go through on the trail. even the most bland food taste so good out there. The first time I went backpacking. On the second morning we made it to our first lean-to. We set up settled in and made some bluberry oatmeal.My wife and I were going crazy over the flavor burst we had.

budforester
01-31-2008, 15:09
Thanks for all the input, guys. I'm successfully whittling down my sodium intake. I wanted to share this with you: here's a link (http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/HG72/hg72_2002.pdf) to a pdf version of the USDA nutrients handbook.

sarbar
01-31-2008, 16:43
Thanks for all the input, guys. I'm successfully whittling down my sodium intake.

Good for you :) It isn't easy the first 6 months or so!

katagious
02-08-2008, 00:10
Low Blood Calcium, Magnesium. Low blood levels of either calcium or magnesium directly increase the excitability of both the nerve endings and the muscles they stimulate. This may be a predisposing factor for the spontaneous "true" cramps experienced by many older adults, as well as for those that are commonly noted during pregnancy. Low levels of calcium and magnesium are common in a normal pregnancy unless these minerals are supplemented to the diet. Cramps are seen in any circumstance that decreases the availability of calcium or magnesium in body fluids, such as from diuretics, hyperventilation (overbreathing) , excessive vomiting, inadequate calcium and/or magnesium in the diet, inadequate calcium absorption due to vitamin D deficiency, poor function of the parathyroid gland (a tiny gland in the neck that regulates calcium balance) and other conditions.
http://www.medicineonline.com/articles/M/3/Muscle-Cramps.html

budforester
02-08-2008, 09:06
http://www.medicineonline.com/articles/M/3/Muscle-Cramps.html

Thanks, that's a helpful article. I'm re- thinking my camp foods and paying attention to overall quality, in addition to those minerals. They mentioned hydration too, which I can attest is also important.