PDA

View Full Version : Would the New York section make a good winter hike?

Tinker
12-23-2007, 21:41
I have lots of time (though precious little money) to hike this winter, and was wondering if there are sections of NY that either aren't worth the effort or dangerous due to ice in the colder months. This fall I finished the Conn. section and am considering continuing south. I won't even bother buying the guidebook if it won't be worth the effort, but I'd like some suggestions.

Thanks.

Appalachian Tater
12-23-2007, 21:46
The Pennsylvania rocks don't stop at Delaware Water Gap. If preciptiation makes them icy or wet, then they are very slippery. If you are concerned about that, pick another section of the trail.

You can get the ALDHA Companion online without charge: http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

rafe
12-23-2007, 21:48
The ridge above Greenwood Lake has great views but could be treacherous in icy conditions, I imagine. The short section between the Thruway crossing and Fitzgerald Falls is a gnarly little roller coaster that seems to annoy lots of folks...

Spirit Walker
12-24-2007, 02:10
You might try NJ or PA. NY had some steep climbs that would probably be pretty icy.

sasquatch2014
12-24-2007, 08:06
There is a group of use heading out on the 10 - 12 of Jan to go from the Thruway to the NJ stateline if you care to join us. there is a thread in the hooking up section I think that the title is " 2 to 3 day January trip 2008".

there is no doubt that it can be slick and cold but then again I landed on my ass heading out to my car in my own driveway a few days ago so I would much ratger do it where not all the people driving by can watch.

LIhikers
12-24-2007, 09:49
I've done all of the NY section multiple times, including winter. Winter brings a whole new perspective while outdoors. I've found that stabilicers can get me up and down any icey sections so don't let the fear of slippery slopes stop you. Just take your time and be careful.
Try it, you'll like it.

Tinker
12-24-2007, 11:41
Thanks for the responses. I may try to join the January hike if the timing is right.

A-Train
12-24-2007, 12:37
Tinker:

Ice shouldn't be bad enough to impede your progress anywhere in that area. If you're worried pick up a pair of Yaktrax for 20 bucks. I think if one is doing the NY section, fall/winter is the prettiest time, however it does have some annoying climbs.

Consider Jersey. The first 40 miles contain a lot of rocks but some pretty agreeable terrain. The section between HiGH Point and the state line is pretty gentle

Patrickjd9
12-24-2007, 15:41
Distance between shelters (and legal campsites) may be an issue for you in New York. Even though open sleeping in a shelter is cold in mid-winter, they can be closed up with a tarp or a tent can be set up inside.

In winter, it is a lot easier to cook and spread out gear in a shelter than on a sheet of plastic in the snow.

gsingjane
12-24-2007, 17:00
It seems to me that the northern section of NY (from CT down to Harriman) is a bit easier going than the southern. If your heart is set on NY, I'd try that section first. I bet it will be great!

Jane in CT

bulldog
12-24-2007, 20:04
You'll be alright in New York in the winter. I was there around Thanksgiving time and from Bear Mountain through New Jersey, I was walking through snow the whole time and didn't have a problem doing it in a pair of Chacos. This picture pretty much sums it up.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=288246

sasquatch2014
12-25-2007, 22:21
Was just out on the section that I maintain between I-84 and south of the Morgan Stewart shelter. The snow was formed up in "toad stools" where it had formed ice under the boot print of a past hiker and now the surrounding snow has melted down around it. It makes the footing very uneven. There were a few blow downs in my section a few of which I cleared and others I will need to come back for. I figure it will be a bit like this in a lot of the state as we have had snow followed by ice followed by rain and wind. Welcome the the Northeast in global warming.

Cookerhiker
12-25-2007, 22:34
It seems to me that the northern section of NY (from CT down to Harriman) is a bit easier going than the southern. If your heart is set on NY, I'd try that section first. I bet it will be great!

Jane in CT

I'd echo this suggestion. The parts of NY where icy rocks are an issue are generally west of the Hudson.

East of the Hudson you have some up-and-down but frankly, slippery leaves are more of an issue than ice.

rafe
12-25-2007, 22:49
Agree with Cookerhiker. There are a few places on that ridge above Greenwood Lake that I wouldn't want to deal with in icy conditions. Not much room for error, and steep dropoffs. None of that stuff (as far as I can recall) north (err... east) of the Hudson.

sasquatch2014
12-26-2007, 11:08
those of us doing the hike in Jan plan on parking down along greenwood lake so if we slip we just speed up our return to the cars. No brains no worries or is it no guts no glory? I always forget.