PDA

View Full Version : Dino plans to do longest AT section-hike ever

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-23-2007, 23:01
Seeing as how all you young whipper-snappers are always talking about how fast the AT can be hiked, I feel us slower hikers need a record to shoot toward... so I want to know what the current record for the longest time taken to hike the AT is. I'm sure one of the many experts here knows this info off the top of his or her head. :D

Don't forget to include your expert advice on how to do this....

rafe
12-23-2007, 23:02
You'll have to beat my 17 years... or was it 30?

Survivor Dave
12-23-2007, 23:04
Just a shot in the dark but wasn't it Ned Grist, and it took him 34 years?

Seeing as how all you young whipper-snappers are always talking about how fast the AT can be hiked, I feel us slower hikers need a record to shoot toward... so I want to know what the current record for the longest time taken to hike the AT is. I'm sure one of the many experts here knows this info off the top of his or her head. :D

Tin Man
12-23-2007, 23:04
At 50 or 60 miles/year, I will be a leader. Unless of course retirement catches me on the trail for longer stretches. :cool:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-23-2007, 23:06
34 years ... let's see I'll be <triple digit bleep> years old...... the oldest hiker to complete the AT for sure :D

Appalachian Tater
12-23-2007, 23:06
Have fun!

Survivor Dave
12-23-2007, 23:09
That's just a guess and I'm not exact on the spelling.

34 years ... let's see I'll be <triple digit bleep> years old...... the oldest hiker to complete the AT for sure :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-23-2007, 23:12
Have fun!This isn't about fun! I'm setting a record here - show some respect :D

Tin Man
12-23-2007, 23:21
This isn't about fun! I'm setting a record here - show some respect :D

Don't concern yourself with records. Concern yourself with having fun.

Respectfully,
Tin Man

Jaybird62
12-23-2007, 23:22
I give full respect to the dino family, and wish you and yours mile after mile of good trail,good company,and peace of mind in the coming year. I really hope I get to meet some of you all this year.

earlyriser26
12-23-2007, 23:30
I started hiked the AT in 1969, so I guess I have 38 years in am just over 1,000 miles. If I ever finish, I will likely have the record. I plan to pick up the pace when I retire in 3 years. I've never hiked more than 50 miles on any hike. Think Thru hikers have it tough? Just think about always being out of shape!

Tin Man
12-23-2007, 23:34
I've never hiked more than 50 miles on any hike. Think Thru hikers have it tough? Just think about always being out of shape!

I know the feeling. It motivates me to get out and hike on weekends, but it is never enough to prepare for 50 miles over a few days. :)

earlyriser26
12-23-2007, 23:39
In two weeks I'm doing another big 12 mile hike in VA. Another half percent bites the dust.:)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-23-2007, 23:41
::: Dino plans to follow earlyriser down trail in VA and learn his secrets to hiking slowly :::

Tin Man
12-23-2007, 23:43
In two weeks I'm doing another big 12 mile hike in VA. Another half percent bites the dust.:)

Cool. I am doing 7.1 in NY on Wednesday. Every little bit helps. ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-23-2007, 23:48
We Dinos have have been taking tiny nibbles off the trail for some time. Sounds like you two are doing the same.

Tin Man
12-23-2007, 23:50
We Dinos have have been taking tiny nibbles off the trail for some time. Sounds like you two are doing the same.

Gotta do what you can when you can.

STEVEM
12-24-2007, 00:05
Back when the "Wild Cowboy Show" was running I did some calculations and figure I'll need maybe 50-75 years to finish the AT. I've got a pretty good collection of other partly finished trails and home improvements also.

warraghiyagey
12-24-2007, 00:27
Dino,
Don't forget to take time to skinny dip!! Hope you folks have a great hike for however long you're fortunate enough to be out there.
I don't know if you were thinking longest thru but I have a SOBO friend from '06 who started in '05 and took what he termed '365 consecutive zeros' in Andover Maine. He went by Mr Natural and made it deep into Virginia I believe. Probably trying to break his own record for consecutive zeroes now.
:)

rafe
12-24-2007, 00:33

That's the spirit. Go git 'em !!

Pedaling Fool
12-24-2007, 01:12
Start off slow, work your way up to your PR (Personal Record). Try and beat this:

During my thru in Mar '06 my body went into shock, especially my feet. My injured feet were so bad that the slightest nudge against them would wake me from a deep sleep - wincing in pain. I was moving really slow everyday; took me an incredible 50 days to get to Damascus (March 17 – May 5). I would think that’s a difficult time to beat.
:o

Kerosene
12-24-2007, 01:24
I started hiked the AT in 1969, so I guess I have 38 years in am just over 1,000 miles. If I ever finish, I will likely have the record. I plan to pick up the pace when I retire in 3 years. I've never hiked more than 50 miles on any hike. Think Thru hikers have it tough? Just think about always being out of shape!I started in '73 and hope to finish in 2013 on the 40th anniversary of my first section hike.

OregonHiker
12-24-2007, 01:59
Dino this is Lamo

Lone Wolf
12-24-2007, 02:03
not too lame for you to chime in

River Runner
12-24-2007, 04:18
Hey Dino,

Just wondered if you have considered what a toll hiking that slow may take on the body - the effort required to hold back on those down hills, the detrimental effects of indulging the pull of gravity on those steep hills, not to mention the impact on the feet of taking your time on the less extreme sections.

And with all those other out of shape hikers who couldn't slow their pace enough to hold out for 40 years, do you think you have the fortitude to restrain yourself to the necessary months of couch potato training necessary for this endeavour?

And remember it's very difficult to force your self to sleep the many hours necessary to keep up the grueling effort of only hiking a few hours a day. And don't forget the sheer effort necessary to hold yourself to a demanding schedule of staring off into the horizon and meditating on all the beauty around you rather than rushing through on your way to the next mile marker. It's a tough thing to do.

Best of wishes in your endeavour though. Keep up the relaxation training, and who knows maybe you will pull it off. :clap

Some naysayers just think records can't be broken. ;)

Two Speed
12-24-2007, 05:52
Yeah, and what about all that extra food and goodies ya gotta eat to maintain that grueling record pace? We're talking lots of chocolate here, boys and girls.

TOW
12-24-2007, 06:00

hey can i go with you?:banana

Marta
12-24-2007, 06:31
I don't know if you were thinking longest thru but I have a SOBO friend from '06 who started in '05 and took what he termed '365 consecutive zeros' in Andover Maine. He went by Mr Natural and made it deep into Virginia I believe. Probably trying to break his own record for consecutive zeroes now.
:)

I ran into Mr. Natural the day before he got off. He was with a group of guys outside Daleville. They were all planning to go home for Thanksgiving...and not come back. A sad day.:(

Fortunately Snapshot split from that group and soldiered on.

OregonHiker
12-24-2007, 08:26
not too lame for you to chime in

Sorry next time I'll add a :sun and phone ahead to let you some humor is coming to the humor forum:cool:

dixicritter
12-24-2007, 09:54
I've got my 6 miles in... I think I'm probably beating you all on the slowest hike record. ;)

Hike on Dinos!

pyroman53
12-24-2007, 10:53
My hiking buddy started in 1966 at age 13 and has 1400 miles done. I figure he'll' finish in 2023 at age 70 so that's 57 years. He's showin no signs of slowin down...and none of speedin up!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-24-2007, 11:00
My hiking buddy started in 1966 at age 13 .... he'll' finish in 2023 at age 70 so that's 57 years.:eek::eek: ::: Dino figures out how old she will be in 57 years and petitions court to change name to Mathusela ::: :eek::eek:

Just Jeff
12-24-2007, 11:10
Longest AT hike? Isn't the distance set every year?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-24-2007, 11:14
::: Dino bites Just Jeff on toes for confusing this discussion with factual information :::

A Merry Christmas to you, Mrs. Jeff and the boys.

Just Jeff
12-24-2007, 11:31
Haha - and a good holiday back at you and yours.

Still, since the mileage is set I think the longest AT hike would have to go to that suitcase hiker who would take one suitcase up, then go back and leapfrog the other one. Dude's gotta have more miles than anyone. And I bet it took forever, too!

weary
12-24-2007, 11:49
....I've got a pretty good collection of other partly finished trails and home improvements also.
How about a record for completing the construction of a house? I'm 27 years and counting. But I've done a lot of trails, a few of which I've even completed.

Weary

Two Speed
12-24-2007, 11:52
Seeing as thread ricochet is setting in, does the PRP* qualify me as a section remodeler? And does that come with chocolate?

*PRP = perpetual remodeling project

CoyoteWhips
12-24-2007, 12:17
I should think there'd be separate recognition for longest section and longest thru. There must be people who've managed to live on the trail for more than a year.

I don't so much hike as stroll. I'm a stroller. There really is no such thing as uphill and downhill if you can achieve advanced levels of casual mountain browsing.

earlyriser26
12-24-2007, 13:22
::: Dino plans to follow earlyriser down trail in VA and learn his secrets to hiking slowly :::
The secret is simple. Have a job / wife / kids. I love the AT and would like to spend more than 4 or 5 days a year hiking and not the 360 days I think about hiking. But those 360 days are still pretty good.:sun

4eyedbuzzard
12-24-2007, 13:31
How about a record for completing the construction of a house? I'm 27 years and counting. But I've done a lot of trails, a few of which I've even completed.

Weary

Houses don't count. They're art in progress.:D And the only time they're ever near completion is just prior to selling them. ;)

WalkingStick75
12-24-2007, 14:51
I finished this year.... 32 years at age 51 but I was told by the Rangers at Mt. Katahdin they just had one finish taking 34 years not sure if that was Ned Gist or not.

Marta
12-24-2007, 18:33
I think Stumpknocker managed to drag out a thru for 360 days one year. Not a record, maybe, but he had to finish so he could start again the following year.

weary
12-24-2007, 18:43
Seeing as thread ricochet is setting in, does the PRP* qualify me as a section remodeler? And does that come with chocolate?

*PRP = perpetual remodeling project
Well it merges with not complete. I've remodeled several not complete sections several times, so now I have half completed remodels of half completed construction. It's those damn trails.

"Whatdayamean," my wife says, "you want to do the trail again, you didn't complete it the first time. And besides I'm still waiting for the house you promised me 45 years ago."

Then she stops and thinks. "well," she says, "if it will get you out of the house so I can get something done."

Weary

weary
12-24-2007, 18:48
I should think there'd be separate recognition for longest section and longest thru. There must be people who've managed to live on the trail for more than a year.

I don't so much hike as stroll. I'm a stroller. There really is no such thing as uphill and downhill if you can achieve advanced levels of casual mountain browsing.
Golly, a kindred soul. My rule is to never stop on the trail. If I have to rest, I'm clearly going too fast.

Weary

weary
12-24-2007, 19:04
Start off slow, work your way up to your PR (Personal Record). Try and beat this:

During my thru in Mar '06 my body went into shock, especially my feet. My injured feet were so bad that the slightest nudge against them would wake me from a deep sleep - wincing in pain. I was moving really slow everyday; took me an incredible 50 days to get to Damascus (March 17 – May 5). I would think that’s a difficult time to beat.
:o

I got to Harpers Ferry in mid july after starting in midApril. When I told the ATC staff I was thru hiking, she just smiled.

1Pint
12-24-2007, 20:05
--snip-- There really is no such thing as uphill and downhill if you can achieve advanced levels of casual mountain browsing. emphasis added

I love that phrase! I think I'm going to have to put that up as inspiration... something like "You might not appreciate my speed, but it has taken great training to achieve my advanced levels of casual mountain browsing."
:D

Happy hiking Dino! I look forward to seeing you at SoRuck.

rafe
12-24-2007, 23:39
I got to Harpers Ferry in mid july after starting in midApril. When I told the ATC staff I was thru hiking, she just smiled.

I met a few very late nobos this summer in eastern PA in early August. They were pretty game about it. Sailfish and Ben-69 are two names I remember, and a fellow hiking with a golden retriever.

Cookerhiker
12-25-2007, 22:46

It took me 28 years but I guess I didn't threaten the record.

teachergal
12-25-2007, 23:43
I have been working (not too hard, but working) on hiking the AT in SNP - I have made it just under 2/3 of the way and it's been about 6 years. When I hike 2-4 miles in one direction then turn around to hike back it slows me down....I figure it will take at least 50 years at this pace!

Good luck Dino!

Thoughtful Owl
12-26-2007, 00:02
I have been working (not too hard, but working) on hiking the AT in SNP - I have made it just under 2/3 of the way and it's been about 6 years. When I hike 2-4 miles in one direction then turn around to hike back it slows me down....I figure it will take at least 50 years at this pace!

Good luck Dino!

Why are you turning around to hike back? Can't you get some to shuttle you, then you can hike further.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-26-2007, 08:25

Good luck Dino!Thanks for the good wishes... I like this idea -- doing two section hikes at the same time NOBO & SOBO... saves on gas and travel time and reduces the need for shuttling. However, doing it this way would be a real difficult task in the GSMNP and a few parts of the 100 mile wilderness where roads are scarce.

rafe
12-26-2007, 10:38
For Dino and Teachergal... consider a bicycle parked at a trailhead. I've covered large chunks of the AT this way. You get to cover the distance twice; once by road on the bike, the other by foot on the AT. I can usually cover about 12-15 miles/hour on the bike.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-26-2007, 11:20
For Dino and Teachergal... consider a bicycle parked at a trailhead. I've covered large chunks of the AT this way. You get to cover the distance twice; once by road on the bike, the other by foot on the AT. I can usually cover about 12-15 miles/hour on the bike.The Dinos are considering a small trail motorcycle for such things. She-Dino's right leg can't pull hills on a regular bike anymore :(

Skyline
12-26-2007, 11:42
It's really fantastic to see the Dinos bouncing back from what wasn't such a great 2007, with an eye toward a long, slow hike on the AT!

Happy trails!

Skyline
12-26-2007, 11:47
Why are you turning around to hike back? Can't you get some to shuttle you, then you can hike further.

Not knowing the logistics, or financial situation, it's hard to advise. Perhaps there is a friend who could shuttle you?

If not, Mountain & Valley Shuttle Service (www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com)) has the proper permits to operate within SNP. The longer your hike, the more affordable such shuttles are on a per-mile-hiked basis. Worth checking out.

Just Jeff
12-26-2007, 11:48
I heard of someone using a pick-up/motorcycle to shuttle themselves. Load the bike in the truck and drive to a trailhead. Hide the bike in the woods and drive the truck to the other trailhead. Hike to the bike, ride it back to the truck, load up and drive home.

Could work for you if you could both get on a small motorcycle or even a scooter. Or He-Dino could just go get the truck and come back to get you.

rafe
12-26-2007, 11:59
I heard of someone using a pick-up/motorcycle to shuttle themselves. Load the bike in the truck and drive to a trailhead. Hide the bike in the woods and drive the truck to the other trailhead. Hike to the bike, ride it back to the truck, load up and drive home.

I've done that with a bicycle, and covered a couple hundred miles of AT in this manner. I considered getting a light motorbike for this purpose, but never got around to it. It would have to be light enough so that I could carry it (for short distances) but powerful enough to make it up steep hills (such as one finds on roads that typically lead to the AT.) Ideas?

rafe
12-26-2007, 12:04
The Dinos are considering a small trail motorcycle for such things. She-Dino's right leg can't pull hills on a regular bike anymore :(

This is confusing/surprising to me. Both legs need lifting power to climb mountains, yes? That same lifting power should work on a bike. Almost any half-decent bike these days has a wide range of gears.

FWIW, after my broken-femur incident in '89, my orthopod recommended bicycling for recovery. I still do more of my leg "training" by bike than by any other means. (I never could get into running and jogging.)

Old Hillwalker
12-26-2007, 12:21
Being that I first set foot on the Appalachian Trail in 1955, and still havent completed it yet, but will next summer, I guess my time will be about 53 years. Attention Deficit Disorder is hell:D

teachergal
01-03-2008, 20:32
I'd actually never considred getting a shuttle for a dayhike. I haven't found anyone who I can hike with and use 2 cars. My Dad and I did some hiking on the AT and my mom was able to drop us off and we hiked back....

Actually that's how one of my favorites hikes happened...we were on the Blue Ridge Parkway, it was Aug and hotter than h*ll. We had my parents motor home (luxury MH I might add) and we parked in an overlook, then mom drove Dad and I back down the road about 7 miles and we hiked back on the AT. When we got back to the overlook the air conditioned MH was waiting with a freezer full of ice cream! yes!

Anyway, I'm working on finding some people to hike with and will consider the shuttle...thanks for the idea!