PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Trestles 15 bag...need advice

indyhoya
12-24-2007, 03:44
Hey guys,

So I need a bag for a section hike I'm planning on doing in Virginia and Maryland during the first week in March. I'd also need a bag for some possible overnights in the Northeast Ohio area during the winter months. I did a little looking and settled on the Marmot Trestles 15 ( http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39174114&memberId=12500226) but thought I'd try and get some of your opinions first. First off, since I'm just getting into hiking I made the decision to try synthetic since my budget isn't very large, and I think its an ok place to start seeing that I'm not sure how much hiking I'll get to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Two Speed
12-24-2007, 06:05
Well, the weight's more than I'd care to deal with, but if you're gonna hike up north a good, warm bag is sound thinking on your part. Next, $70 is a great price for a quality bag like a Marmot. All things considered it looks like you're doing pretty well.

Harry Cruise
12-24-2007, 12:24
A 15 degree bag is really warm. (And Marmot's ratings are pretty accurate--There is standardized testing of sleeping bag ratings in Europe now, and Marmot's bags meet those standards. I'm sure you can find out more about this at www.bask.info. I'm too lazy to search right now.)

Personally, I've never used a bag rated warmer than 30 degrees, even in Montana and Colorado. In the winter you're generally carrying extra clothing, so you can just layer up before you go to bed. This way, you get away with carrying a lighter bag and also, you can buy a bag that won't be too warm to use in the summer.

JohnnyBongo
12-24-2007, 21:23
I have the Marmot Trestles 15. I got it cheap from a friend on pro deal. I've used it down to freezing tempratures, and I didn't have a problem, but I'm not sure if it would make 15 degrees comfortably for me. I used it in a hammock this past Thanksgiving with a cheap blue foam pad, and was warm in temps down to low 30's. It's a bit bulkier than I'd like, and a little heavier too, but for the price you could do worse.

rpenczek
12-27-2007, 11:17
I have owned this bag for about 6 years and really like it (except that it is about 4 pounds). I have used it with just shorts, socks and a t-shirt down to 10 degrees and been comfortable (I am a warm sleeper). Zipper works great, no cold spots and will pack well in a granitegear medium air line compression sack.

My son also has the same bag in the regular size and he is comfortable below the temp rating with long-johns and socks.

Great bag for those on a budget.

indyhoya
12-28-2007, 02:20
Thanks for all the input guys, I went ahead and ordered it and will probably test it out in the upcoming week or so.

Toolshed
12-28-2007, 11:00
Your 18. Your invincible and still able to work for long hours like a pack mule. 3.5 lb sleeping bag is nothing. Select budget over weight at this point in your life. It allows more gear choices.

Besides, even if you got really good gear now, you would want to supplement or replace it to try other stuff in the future.
I have a Marmot Sawtooth Down bag and think it is a nice, albeit inexpensive bag. It is name brand but built for the middle class masses. Those of us who think we are better than Coleman and Slumberjack, but not quite at the WM/FF level.

For an "owning-one-bag" position, 15d-20d is the way to go. No one dies from becoming too warm on a 35d night - I find I drape my bag over me most nights, if it is too warm. I just put my feet into the foot area and pull teh bafg over me. I can always later zip it up if I chill. The extra 15-20 degrees allows flexibility. A tent gives you another 10 degrees or protection.

BTW, Though I still have much of my gear I started with 20 some-odd years ago, it has all been replaced by gear that is designed better, lighter and more functional. Everything I have acquired between my first stuff and now I have sold on Ebay, but for some nostalgic reason, I hang on to my first stuff.

Good luck with the bag and enjoy the hike.