PDA

View Full Version : Advice on weather

hair
12-24-2007, 14:34
I've been planning to do a NOBO section from woody gap to unicoi gap for a couple of months now, and I'll be starting on friday morning. This morning I checked the weather forcast and they're predicting a 50% chance for rain. Here's a link.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=34.872%2C-83.869

I live about 5 hours from atlanta and I'm trying to decide what to do. Would you call it off? I know its early in the week, so I'll obviously continue watching it to see if it changes. If it doesn't change, would you do it anyway?

School starts back the week after that so this is my last chance to get on the AT until spring break.

Thanks for your advice.

bigcranky
12-24-2007, 14:44
How many days will you be out? Can you handle getting totally soaked in freezing rain, and dry out your clothing and gear overnight? In my experience, cold rain is my least favorite weather, but it can be done if you are prepared.

Also realize that you are likely to get snow and or ice the higher you get. Many local forecasts -- even in mountain towns -- assume you'll be below 3000 feet. Snow is easier to handle in many ways than freezing rain, but you can still get in trouble.

Are you going solo? It's easier to recognize symptoms of hypothermia in someone else than in yourself, so a partner is a good idea on winter hikes.

Finally, if you'll be out for several days, look at the overall forecast for the whole period. If it'll rain Friday but a high pressure system will move in with good weather the rest of the weekend, that's better than cold rain the whole time.

None of this makes it any easier to decide, I know. If you do decide to drive down to the trail head, just be willing to change your mind if you get there and the weather is worse than you expected.

max patch
12-24-2007, 14:52
I don't think hiking in the rain in 40 degree weather is "fun" so with a 50% chance of rain fri-sat-sun I'd wait as long as possible before proceeding. If I had to make a decision "right now" I'd be looking for something else to do.

I plan to be day hiking so I'll join you in praying for sunshine.

rafe
12-24-2007, 14:56
I plan to be day hiking so I'll join you in praying for sunshine.

Most folks down that way are prayin' for rain, I imagine. Who do you think g*d ought to listen to? :-?

max patch
12-24-2007, 14:58
Most folks down that way are prayin' for rain, I imagine. Who do you think g*d ought to listen to? :-?

Winter in Georgia means drizzly rain almost every day. This year ain't gonna be any different.

hair
12-24-2007, 15:14
That's kind of how I'm feeling about it right now. That's a let down for sure. But I guess we'll hope for sun, and wait and see.