PDA

View Full Version : Decision Making Disorder

redredrose
12-25-2007, 12:54
I just recently posted my Gear List here and at Practical Backpacking. I have gotten great responses from many people. But now I have taken some of the advice and now want to ditch my sleeping bag (http://www.rei.com/product/746219). I don't want to take an Arc Alpinist because I know that any bag I take may be worthless at the end of my '08 hike. Its not guaranteed but it is a strong possibility.

So I need a 20 degree bag that fits a dude 6 ft with wide shoulders, is less than 2 lbs 9 oz, and is less than $300.

I need high quality down. Say 750 or better. The bag NEEDS to compress well.

Thanks guys!
-Passionphish (I just realized that this is signed on as my MOM!!!!! Oops!)

rafe
12-25-2007, 12:59
Not from personal experience, but Marmot Helium comes to mind. From personal experience, Mountain Hardwear makes nice down bags also (and not overly expensive.)

Cuffs
12-25-2007, 13:53
Try Montbell. MSRP is usually just over $300, but you can find them on sale!

Doughnut
12-25-2007, 14:00
Campmor has 'em on sale now, 109.99 2 lb 4 oz, 20 degree mummy bag.

rafe
12-25-2007, 14:06
Campmor has 'em on sale now, 109.99 2 lb 4 oz, 20 degree mummy bag.

Nothing against Campmor, but that's 550 grade down. The OP asked for 750 or better, and he's correct in assuming that higher grade down will compress better.

tallfran
12-25-2007, 20:47
I've certainly been happy with my Marmot Helium. It's rated to 20, but I think that's a little optimistic. But then, I'm a cold sleeper...

Cuffs
12-25-2007, 20:59
heres a good one!

http://campsaver.com/ItemMatrix.asp?GroupCode=mtb0023&eq=&MatrixType=1

OR this one...

http://campsaver.com/ItemMatrix.asp?GroupCode=mtb0026&eq=&MatrixType=1

Tinker
12-25-2007, 21:05
I'm responding to this because I just bought a new Golite Feather-lite regular (build of user) long from detourgearzone.com. It's rated down to 40 degrees, but I have used it in windless dry conditions down to 18 degrees. It is zipperless, however, limiting its warm weather use (or requiring alternative methods in warm weather).
It weighs exactly one pound 7-3/4 oz. - not bad for a 20 degree bag. This bag is very conservatively rated and well made. I use it over a modified Byer Traveller hammock. It may even be warmer if used on the ground in a tent (depending on sleeping pad). I'm 5'11 (almost) and wear a 48" chest jacket, so I'm broad shouldered as well. I think the vendor is out of longs, but I only bought the long because I use it over a hammock.

4eyedbuzzard
12-25-2007, 21:10
Just wondering, the bag in your sleeping bag link is an REI 15 degree bag that weighs 2 lb 9 oz, but you want to replace it with a 20 degree bag that weighs no more than ... 2 lbs 9 oz.:-?

Pedaling Fool
12-25-2007, 22:29
...I don't want to take an Arc Alpinist because I know that any bag I take may be worthless at the end of my '08 hike. Its not guaranteed but it is a strong possibility...
Any quality bag, such as yours, should be fine after a thru-hike, especially if you lie on a pad, of some kind, and use a bag-liner. I'm still using mine, can't tell you how old it is, but I've used it before, during and after my thru.
Don't over-think your gear, use your excited energy in other endeavors.

Passionphish
12-27-2007, 18:13
4 eyed Buzzard...
I am trying to find a bag that is lighter than 2 lbs 9 oz! Thought that would have been obvious. But then anybody could have missed it! :D

Are there any quilt manufacturers other than Nunatak, Jack'sRbetter, and Rayway?

Hooch
12-27-2007, 18:24
4 eyed Buzzard...
I am trying to find a bag that is lighter than 2 lbs 9 oz! Thought that would have been obvious. But then anybody could have missed it! :D

Are there any quilt manufacturers other than Nunatak, Jack'sRbetter, and Rayway?Since your current bag is an REI, why not give consideration to the REI Sub Kilo (http://www.rei.com/product/731678)? It comes in at 29 oz (1.8 lbs), is made with 750 fill goose down and has a price tag of $239.For the vertically advantaged, there's a long version (http://www.rei.com/product/731680) available for $10 more. Just my two cents. :D

hamilton86
12-29-2007, 19:15
Why are you switching bags? Size, weight, warmth?

I have the Mojave myself and have no complaints about it. But then again i'm no ultralight weight nut so thats why i ask...

Nearly Normal
12-30-2007, 14:04
4 eyed Buzzard...

Are there any quilt manufacturers other than Nunatak, Jack'sRbetter, and Rayway?

I think Jagbag makes quilts.

minnesotasmith
12-30-2007, 16:32
Is one that's synthetic, nonmummy, full length, about 10 degrees F rating. Would willingly pay big bucks for super-light/small volume. Any suggestions?

Appalachian Tater
12-30-2007, 20:54
You're leaving your "good" bag at home and getting a "disposable" one just for your thru-hike of the A.T.? What are you saving your good one for? Something special?

Passionphish
12-30-2007, 23:14
You're leaving your "good" bag at home and getting a "disposable" one just for your thru-hike of the A.T.? What are you saving your good one for? Something special?

I'm not saving a 'good one'. I don't have a good one. I just haven't, and honestly I'm not willing too, spend the kind of money that a 'good' sleeping bag will cost. Especially if there is a possibility that, at the end of the hike, I wind up retiring the bag.

I have heard that you don't always retire your bag. That some do survive. But I know how rough on gear I can be. I am assuming the worst. So if I don't retire the bag, then great! I will use it passed the hike (read: used to death) and then spend the BIG bucks.:eek:

Passionphish
12-30-2007, 23:17
Oh yeah, the reason for the question is that I want to get my weight down some more. If its reasonably possible. If not, oh well, great! If so, then GREAT!!!!

I just don't have a lot of free money left before I start eating into my 'hike-money'.

SGT Rock
12-30-2007, 23:19
What is wrong with the Arc Alpinist? I have a Nunatak BCB that is great and I hear good things about that Arc Alpinist.

Yahtzee
12-30-2007, 23:30

My thoughts exactly. Must be something about MYOBC. A variation on that. Isn't an entire thru-hike good service for a bag? Mine lasted alot longer, through horrible treatment. As long as your funk don't linger, most bags will be serviceable after a thru-hike.

Don't overthink it. Once you're out there, gear is the least of your thoughts.

Enjoy!