PDA

View Full Version : How often do you have to seam seal

flagator
12-25-2007, 15:02
Hey all, I have a mountain hardwear skypoint that Ive owned for almost 2 years. Supposively mountain hardwear comes seal sealed, I believe. I dont know whether seam sealing is an ongoing process or a one trime ordeal. Ive only used it a few times and never had a down pour. I am getting ready to go on a 4 night trip. Do i need to re seam seal it, I tested it out in my back yard with the hose and seems to be fine, but I dont know if it would be different with constant heavy rains. Just want to be warm and dry, thanks in advance for your helpful comments.

bigboots
12-25-2007, 15:14
It should be fine. After long time and/or heavy usage you may need reseal it. I've had the same tent for 4 yrs now and have never seam sealed it (your results may very).

Bigboots

Tinker
12-25-2007, 21:44
Keep the floor as clean as you can and you probably won't need to reseal it for many years. Same goes for the fly. I've had tents last for 10 years without needing resealing. I make sure I dry them as well as possible after every outing and store them unstuffed in large Rubbermaid tubs with the lids off (not necessary, probably, but it works for me). If they do need to be resealed, they'll tell you ;). Just make sure before resealing that you clean the seams well with denatured alcohol (rubbing alcohol might work also). Some people recommend stronger stuff, but I'm afraid with an old tent that it will cause delamination adjacent to the resealed seam.

Panzer1
12-26-2007, 01:07
I had my Bibler tent for 20 years and only seam sealed it once. The seams never leaked. Not a drop. I finally got rid of it when the floor wore out from use.

Panzer

Jim Adams
12-26-2007, 08:10
never yet.....never bought anything that leaked...don't know why...can see needle holes.....?

geek