PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent or SMD with down bag

OhioNative
12-25-2007, 15:48
I would really like to get a tent like the tarptent Contrail or the SMD Lunar solo, but I have a down bag and the condensation makes me concerned. Have others had problems with a down bag getting wet in single wall tents? Any advice? I have a bad back and would really like to save weight, but I'm sure that hypothermia is not much fun!! :eek: ;)

Sly
12-25-2007, 16:03
I would really like to get a tent like the tarptent Contrail or the SMD Lunar solo, but I have a down bag and the condensation makes me concerned. Have others had problems with a down bag getting wet in single wall tents? Any advice?

You shouldn't be too concerned. I use a down bag with the Lunar Solo. Some tips are, to try whenever possible to set up under tree branches. This will reduce condensation considerably. Also, keep the fly/vestibule open if it isn't raining.

Another is to have a pack towel handy to wipe down the sides in case they do become covered with condensation. I use the handiwipe type.

bigcranky
12-25-2007, 17:52
I use a down bag with a Tarptent. Yes, it's possible to get the outside of your bag wet from condensation on the inside of the shelter. Under the right conditions (humid but cool), the inside can be very wet indeed.

However. It's one thing to get the outside of your sleeping bag wet. It's another to get the down itself wet enough to be a problem. In my experience, a good quality down bag with a good shell fabric is fine, even if the shell gets wet. The shell protects the down, and dries quickly.

I usually carry a very small towel or an extra bandana for wiping down the walls of my tarptent if they get wet.

Tarptents are great. The overall weight savings, the ease of setup, the protection are all excellent. But they demand some extra skill and care in site selection, setup, and use.

Footslogger
12-25-2007, 17:54
I would really like to get a tent like the tarptent Contrail or the SMD Lunar solo, but I have a down bag and the condensation makes me concerned. Have others had problems with a down bag getting wet in single wall tents? Any advice? I have a bad back and would really like to save weight, but I'm sure that hypothermia is not much fun!! :eek: ;)

========================================

Like Sly ...I use a down bag with the Lunar Solo as well and have not had any problems with condensation. If you are really worried about moisture getting on your bag you can use a DWR spray or some form of silnylon bivy.

'Slogger

ChinMusic
12-25-2007, 18:25
I have a Lunar Solo as well and decided to set it up in the backyard under what I thought were some REAL bad condensation conditions (just above freezing, rainy, fly closed, AND a dog with me). It got pretty wet but a camp towel did the trick. I intentionally was not careful with my Hydrogen 30 degree and even though the shell got wet, the down did not. A camp towel/bandanna helps a lot.

The next night was similar but colder. The condensation froze making it easy to remove. It got down to 21 and the Hydrogen30 was still comfortable. I didn't think I would like low 20s in the Hydrogen, but since it was the backyard, no risk.

take-a-knee
12-25-2007, 18:39
Oware makes a sil bottom/DWR top bivy that is light. That might make sense weight-wise with a floorless tarptent. If you are in the shelter alone it is a lot easier to keep from knocking the condensation off the roof. It is about impossible with two.

rafe
12-25-2007, 19:01
I always use down bags, and hiked this summer with a Tarptent Rainbow. So yes, it can be done. I had a minor issue with condensation, and "misting" in the Tarptent during heavy rain. In any case, never enough to be seriously wet, but enough to be annoying.

superman
12-25-2007, 20:05
Pat and I use a retangular tarp with a down bag. You can see it in the top row on page three of my pictures on the site below my signature. We've weathered some pretty bad blowing rain storms with no problem to the down. The worst problem I had was when I was camping by myself in the pouring rain and the wind changed. I woke up and pulled a garbage bag over the foot of my sleeping bag and went back to sleep. No problem.

OhioNative
12-25-2007, 21:04
Pat and I use a retangular tarp with a down bag. You can see it in the top row on page three of my pictures on the site below my signature. We've weathered some pretty bad blowing rain storms with no problem to the down. The worst problem I had was when I was camping by myself in the pouring rain and the wind changed. I woke up and pulled a garbage bag over the foot of my sleeping bag and went back to sleep. No problem.

Yeah, I usually carry a garbage bag with me anyway - I guess if things got bad enough I could just pull that over the bag. I have a Montbell bag that is DWR treated - although I have never tested the water resistance, it seems that the combination of a pack towel, garbage bag, and the water resistance of the bag would keep me protected.

Colter
12-25-2007, 21:14
Lots of good comments. I'm another tarptent/down bag user. A down bag needs to get REALLY wet before you'll lose the loft. I've never seen condensation come even close to being a problem in this regard. Your body is drying things each night. A little wetness on the shell is not big deal.

bigcranky
12-25-2007, 23:12
Yeah, I usually carry a garbage bag with me anyway - I guess if things got bad enough I could just pull that over the bag.

Be careful with this. You may be able to loosely drape the trash bag over the end of your sleeping bag, but if you pull it up over the whole bag, you'll soak the sleeping bag from the inside with your sweat.

A few years ago I spent the night in a very light sleeping bag in cold conditions. I stuck my feet inside my Primaloft-insulated vest, then stuck that inside a trash compactor bag, then put all that inside my sleeping bag. My feet were nice and warm. When I woke up the next day, the vest was *soaked*. I could wring water out of it. It was all sweat from my feet. Just be careful with putting a plastic bag over your sleeping bag, is all I'm saying.

superman
12-25-2007, 23:54
Be careful with this. You may be able to loosely drape the trash bag over the end of your sleeping bag, but if you pull it up over the whole bag, you'll soak the sleeping bag from the inside with your sweat.

A few years ago I spent the night in a very light sleeping bag in cold conditions. I stuck my feet inside my Primaloft-insulated vest, then stuck that inside a trash compactor bag, then put all that inside my sleeping bag. My feet were nice and warm. When I woke up the next day, the vest was *soaked*. I could wring water out of it. It was all sweat from my feet. Just be careful with putting a plastic bag over your sleeping bag, is all I'm saying.

LOL, in 2000 some hikers tried wearing bags on their feet inside their boots to keep them dry. That doesn't work for the same reason you stated. The plastic holds the body moisture inside the bag. On the other hand, when I pulled the trash bag up on the foot of my sleeping bag in the rain it was still loose enough for the vapor to keep moving. For what ever reason it did work without moisture build up in the bag.

Lucky Dog
12-26-2007, 09:22
I have the contrail and W.M. bag and never a problem.

OhioNative
12-26-2007, 13:43
Thanks for all the great comments. Now, if someone could just help me talk my wife into buying a Lunar Solo!! :-?

Appalachian Tater
12-30-2007, 21:58
Never had that problem with the Rainbow. Your bag will get wet when it rains if you don't have a waterproof stuffsack and use a garbage bag to line your pack.