PDA

View Full Version : Early Hikers Fontana Re-Supply Notice

Former Easy
12-18-2003, 14:44
I know this is somewhere else but I'm just posting it here to jog the memory of early starters. Since I was just thinking about this.

The Town of Fontana does not have a ATM, nor does it have acceptable re-supplies till around the third week of March when the General Store opens. The gas station didn't even have Snickers Bars and only had 2 or 3 brands of cigarettes all which were brands i've never seen anyone smoke. Salem & Merit come to mind.

If your arriving before then you will want a maildrop here and to have cash in your pocket if you don't carry credit cards and are planning on staying at the Fontana Inn or their Bunk House. I got screwed here in 2002 because of these reasons. I ended up having to take a $40 shuttle into another town to get cash to stay at the Fontana Inn and get food supplies.

If you are staying at the Hike Inn you have nothing to worry about since they shuttle all their guests into another town to shop. And if your staying at the Hike Inn make sure you have reservations.

chris
12-18-2003, 15:06
Note that Fontana is also a dry town.

Peaks
12-18-2003, 17:44
I wouldn't say that the selection at the general store, when it does open, is adequate. Doesn't really stock the hiker staples. Mail drop is the best option here, or go to the Hike Inn.

Former Easy
12-18-2003, 18:03
I left Fontana the day the store opened after a few off days in the wonderful waterless, electricity free, Fontana Inn (long story).

Peaks is right the store is pretty lame in supplies but if you are showing up in Fontana after the third week in March, You can none the less get enough supplies to get you through the Smoky's if maildrops arn't your thing (I usaully don't like maildrops but that was a mistake with this town). They do have main staples like peanut butter, ramen, liptons, candy bars etc..... But not a large selection.

smokymtnsteve
12-18-2003, 19:05
I would say that there are NO really good resupply options along the trail between springer and damascus..with is the part that I have walked several times...

but if your eating candy bars and ramen noodles you can get them at a lot of places

Peaks
12-19-2003, 09:39
Smokey:

I'd say there was a very adequate resupply at Rainbow Springs.

I'd also say there is a very adequate resupply at Mountain Crossings/ Neels Gap.

There's freeze dried at NOC.

But, I didn't spot the Liptons and similiar foods at Fontana Dam.

chris
12-19-2003, 10:17
It all depends on what you are looking for. I thought the resupply very easy between Springer and Damascus: Walasi-Yi is stocked (no need for a drop), NOC had enough food to get me the day and a morning to Fontana, Fontana can be bought at (although depending on who is in front of you it might be a little bare), Hot Springs has a couple of good places to resupply (outfitters, two minimarts), Erwin has a full grocery store, and Damascus has everything I would need (although I didn't buy). If you are looking for some filet mignon or some palak paneer, you'll have to hitch a ways. But, if you are just looking for basic stuff, no problems in the deep south.

Footslogger
12-19-2003, 11:20
I stayed at the Hike Inn this year and the owner shuttled me into the town of Robinsville (no charge), where there is a regular super market and most of the other amenities such as ATM's.

smokymtnsteve
12-19-2003, 15:29
Yea but I eat things like .organic veggie noddles and curried lentils..TVP and dried organic fruits...black bean flakes...darjelling tea...none of which is available along the trail...where can you find bow tie noodles along the trail???? except maybe at the health food store in helen GA...

if you eat lipton meals and ramen noddles and the like you can find that...

manzana
12-19-2003, 16:42
It all depends on what you are looking for. I thought the resupply very easy between Springer and Damascus: Walasi-Yi is stocked (no need for a drop), NOC had enough food to get me the day and a morning to Fontana, Fontana can be bought at (although depending on who is in front of you it might be a little bare), Hot Springs has a couple of good places to resupply (outfitters, two minimarts), Erwin has a full grocery store, and Damascus has everything I would need (although I didn't buy). If you are looking for some filet mignon or some palak paneer, you'll have to hitch a ways. But, if you are just looking for basic stuff, no problems in the deep south.

Chris: Was there one place in particular that struck you as "very difficult" to resupply?

thanks, manzana

Jack Tarlin
12-19-2003, 17:03
Re. resupply in the early days:

I've never had a problem resupplying: There's fine resupply in Neels Gap, Hiawassee, the NOC, Franklin; after the Smokies there's Mountain Mommas's or better yet, Standing Bear Farm. Then you've got Hot Springs, Erwin, Kincora, and Damascus. What's the problem? In addition to all this, there's always the possibility of resupply by mail at any number of places. The only real bad spot is Fontana Dam which has limited quantities of goods, poor selection, and high prices. Most folks get a mail drop here to take them either thru the Park or to Newfound Gap/Gatlinburg. Also, if you stay at the Hike Inn, which is a great place, the nice folks who run the motel will take you to Robbinsville to shop.

Jack Tarlin
12-19-2003, 17:26
I somehow forgot about the fine folks at Rainbow Springs. There is good re-supply there, it's not far off the Trail, and is especially useful if you're not planning to go to Franklin. Also, they now accept maildrops, you you really don't need one there as the food selection is geared towards thru-hikers and probably has what you'll need.

chris
12-19-2003, 18:10
Chris: Was there one place in particular that struck you as "very difficult" to resupply?

thanks, manzana

No, everywhere was pretty good. I was foolish enough to send maildrops to both Walasi-Yi and Erwin. I bought a few things at NOC and in Hot Springs. Note that I didn't resupply between Walasi-Yi and NOC, although I think many people stop somewhere inbetween for more food. If I were to do the hike again, I'd buy everywhere, probably even in Fontana, although I might send a maildrop there. I still grin when I recall Daddymention filling up a sack of peanut butter and hot dog bun sandwiches there: They were his main food source it seemed, due to a lack of selection. I might consider buying at NOC, skipping Fontana, and heading to Hot Springs.

smokymtnsteve
12-19-2003, 18:17
I guess I'm just a picky eater...I don't eat thosse lipton meals,ramen noddles,mac n chesse and such...or the "mountain house type" stuff....

I guess it just depends on what you eat....

Chappy
12-20-2003, 02:57
I guess I'm just a picky eater...I don't eat thosse lipton meals,ramen noddles,mac n chesse and such...or the "mountain house type" stuff....

I guess it just depends on what you eat....

Does sound like picky eaters would have a problem while others don't. Glad I'm not a picky eater will make my planning easier.

Doctari
12-20-2003, 09:02
I met a hiker just north of the NOC who had a food bag heavier than my pack (over 35 Lbs) because "there is no place to resupply before Erwin" I think he had picked up the food in Franklin. I mentioned: the Fontana Motel (now the Hike inn), Gatlinburg, Mt Mommas, Hot springs and he was shocked. Granted, Gatlinburg is a bit of a long hitch, but somehow he had missed the other places when doing research. And now there is standing Bear farm hostel just north of the smokies too.

I don't recall ever carrying more than about 6 Lbs of food, & I havn't made it to Damascus yet, my average hike is 2 weeks or longer.

I agree that Fontana is a bit hard to resupply. I did stop in the boat house on the lake and could have gotten enough to get me the 3 or 4 days to Gatlinburg there, but it would have been jerkey & candy, along with some ramen. (cross the road, go past the restroom, & right {down the boat ramp} they also have a phone for local calls)

Doctari.

steve hiker
12-21-2003, 15:30
What about these places in the winter, and the xmas/new years period in particular. I'm trying to figure out how to do a short section over the next couple of weeks (not sure which section, but south of the smokies). Anyone know how many of the places mentioned above are open in winter? Also any phone numbers would help so I can call to make sure.

Lone Wolf
12-21-2003, 15:54
The Hike Inn 828-479-3677
Fontana Village Hotel 800-849-2258
NOC rafting center 828-488-2175
Rainbow Springs CG 828-524-6376
Blueberry Patch Hostel 706-896-4893